Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I appreciate this thread's title synergy with auspol.

Drink rec: box wine. It's downmarket, cheap, and also much more environmentally friendly than bottled wine, especially wine corked with actual cork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

The World's Shortest Political Test told me I was a libertarian so I thought that for a while. Then someone asked me if I really thought that the government shouldn't build roads or schools and I was like "no that's crazy". That's when I stopped being a libertarian.

Also I work for one of the prime villains of the GFC (not in finance though so please do not guillotine me).

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

It's depressing that even Bill Clinton is going after the straw man of "kill the bankers" when the actual argument is "prosecute even one banker, pretty please."

My argument is that they should all be guillotined by Bill Clinton.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Oregon's exchange was also a massive fuckup from what I've read. I know gently caress all about IT especially contracting or outsourcing; do any goons have more knowledge? Oregon contracted with Oracle for their exchange is the extent of my knowledge. Is Oracle a particularly lovely company?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I majored in English and the last few pages of this thread make me wish that literacy had never been invented.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I will base my next presidential vote on which candidate has the best pets.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I expected more discussion of the results from the primary elections :mad:

It looks like Mitch McConnell won!

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

I expect this article will have a lot of people talking, so linking it here. The Case for Reparations by Ta-Nehisi Coates

This is basically the best essay and everyone should go read it right now, it owns.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

^^^^^^^^^someone on Twitter was retweeting a bunch of idiots barking about how the Civil War is enough reparations (lmao) but I forget who.

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Ugh but it's so long. Can someone sum it up so I can laugh at people who knee-jerk without putting in the effort?

Black people deserve reparations for slavery.

But seriously go read it. In fact everyone in the USA should be forced to read it.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was being very lazy and also incorrect when I said that Coates was arguing that slavery is why black people deserve reparations. That was a misrepresentation of his essay. What he was actually arguing is that black people deserve reparations, in some form, for white supremacy, which has manifested in many ways from slavery to debt bondage/sharecropping to the housing market. A major part of his argument is that the FHA's mortgage guarantee policy effectively excluded black people, which locked black Americans from several generations of wealth accumulation through home ownership. And of course that extends into today with black people being predominantly targeted for subprime mortgages. White supremacy has hosed and continues to gently caress black people; it's not that unreasonable to at least study a way to make amends for that. Reparations are not asking for people who have done nothing wrong to pay out :tenbux:. Reparations are asking white Americans, who benefited for generations and continue to benefit from white supremacy, to figure out a way to make it right.

(People have criticized the comparison to Germany making reparations to Israel for the Holocaust but I don't know enough about that to say whether it's fair)

e: like basically if you agree that racism is still a severe problem in the US and that it advantages whites over blacks (and other races of course) then it's really not unreasonable to think that the government should AT LEAST study how reparations could be made

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

absolem posted:

No immoral activity = innocent. Buying stolen goods does not a thief make.

Buying stolen goods and refusing to return them or compensate the original owner in any way, if you later discover that the goods you bought are stolen, is actually wrong and bad. Likewise benefiting from white supremacy is wrong. That I as a white person have no choice but to benefit from white supremacy does not lessen my culpability or change the fact that it would be wrong to not make some efforts to compensate the people who have been harmed by white supremacy. Like, I have unfairly benefited from being white. I should be made to pay for this somehow. How, I don't know, but it should be rectified.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of my family's wealth was stolen from black people because of racial discrimination in FHA policy. A lot of my family's wealth was stolen because my high school dropout dad was able to rise through the ranks of a major corporation due to this skin color, while black people were not even considered for any management positions regardless of ability. A lot of my family's wealth was stolen because a grandfather was able to use the GI Bill to get a college degree after WWII and become an accountant, which is something black people were largely unable to do. They served the same as my grandfather, but their benefits were stolen. I used to work with a black guy who basically had my same role but he was paid less than me. I was paid more because I had previously asked for a raise, but he was still robbed because white supremacy allowed me greater ability to ask for and expect a raise. Like I told him (after he mentioned his rate) that I got paid more than him and he should ask for a raise, but he demurred. I didn't steal from him directly, but white supremacy took money from his pocket and put it into mine.

I think it is time for whitey to pay up.

e: otoh I got my current job through a friend WHO IS BLACK so I guess it all evens out in the end

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

absolem should have to make reparations to everyone who has read his bad posts even though none of us (i HOPE) have been coerced into reading them

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I think it would not have been a complete disaster if short term lending had dried up and employers lost the ability to borrow money to pay employees. That would have been okay.

edit: absolem do you believe in the social contract and if so do you think that the government has broken or violated the social contract wrt how black people are treated

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Amergin posted:

I was more asking about future programs, created in an era that isn't nearly as riddled with out-and-out racist holes and enforced by racist legislators, which is why I joked that it's a "pie in the sky" ideal scenario.

we are discussing measures that could be enacted by the currently elected united states congress mate

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was listening to some music about how unions are cool (LF as gently caress but that is a true sentence about my life today) and it included some covers of actual old union songs from the early 20th century. There was a lot of language about slave work and not wanting to be treated like slaves; having read TNC's essay I was able to connect the dots and realize that in the context of tremendous racism from a large part of white organized labor in the US, "slave work" is a massive dog whistle. This has been my daily insight and I have posted it in this thread.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Allen West seems like the kind of psychopath who takes pictures of himself posing with a katana in front of his motor cycle. Dude is like a murderous clown.

I couldn't find any pictures of his katana but I read an article mentioning that he has at least one on the wall of his office.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

The only way to achieve equality in electoral speech is for much more open ballot access and public financing of elections I hope this helps.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

One of them looks like a medic alert bracelet or something, to me.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Oh gently caress me, I forgot that vote was today. This is all my fault :negative:

Don't worry unless you are actually several hundred thousand people I think you are pretty blameless. Seriously Patrick is going to get at least 60% of the vote. I love my state :suicide:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Joshua Earnest.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

the june thread title should be hash tag excelsior

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I love the optics of house Republicans trying to impeach Obama for GOING MAVERICK and doing WHATEVER IT TAKES to free one of the troops from the clutches of the Taliban, are enemies.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Children born in France to residents (but not citizens - children of French citizens are also automatically French citizens) of France may request and acquire French citizenship when they become adults, but it's not automatically conferred. I believe France had looser laws on citizenship but, well, Europeans can be extremely racist.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Execute everyone who owns stock.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

How many predatory birds will it cost Lowtax to fix archives?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

USPOL June: kill yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

The only way to conclusively settle this matter is to make it illegal for white people to vote.

• Locked thread