Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i suspect that OP is a drat dirty liberal. drat biases in the media!

Speaking of drinks, I picked up a terrible bottle of rosemary infused rum. I have not dared sip it yet, but i did smell it and it smelled like it could take the chrome off my engine block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I saw that in the reviews, will take under advisement.

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but have you read "Battle cry of Freedom"? Its an excelent read, and was my textbook in my civil war class.

Its one of the very few textbooks I kept and still read from time to time.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Anyone needing a high quality basic history of the war could do far worse than Battle Cry of Freedom. I had the luck, man years ago, to see a panel discussion in DC between McPhearson (author of Battle Cry of Freedom, for those that don't know), Eric Foner (Marxian author of Reconstruction, among other things), and a third guy who's name I forget because he wasn't McPhearson or Foner. Specifically, they were discussion the Confederate naval efforts and their drive to build river ironclads, at the expense of their already-inadequate rail network (lacking many ironworks, they couldn't roll new armor-grade plate and instead used salvaged rail iron). It was pretty amazing, makes me wish I'd stayed an Americanist some times.

Also, by all accounts Davis was something of an abrasive prick in person, and never felt he needed to justify his actions so long as they were internally consistent and he believed them to be right.

EDIT: you're right, we should stop derailing. Sorry, the Civil War's a weak spot for me.

One last thing before we go back to modern civil war. When I lived in Florida a few years back I was driving home late one night and was listening to AM radio. They had a few 'scholars' on talking about the war, and more than one person called in and referred to it as "the War of Northern Aggression." Very very weird.

but a lot of these feelings persist to today, and still color our modern political landscape.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Radish posted:

From what I understand this is the case and trials regarding financial heads probably would have been incredibly expensive and likely to not lead to convictions in most cases. From watching the 60 Minutes stuff there definitely seems like illegal actions going on but who knows if that could be proven in a trial and it's much more difficult to prosecute incredibly complicated financial crime. Having said that, Clinton has always been poo poo so his attitude here isn't a surprise. It's one thing to say that legally thieves can't be prosecuted and it's a tough reality of the world, it's another to infer that the unwashed proles are barbarically howling for blood of the innocent instead of just wanting justice for the criminals (even if technically they are not) that robbed them.

But a lot of the actions causing the great recession were not illegal per se, more stupid, greedy and short sighted. People not taking a close look at the risks of the investments they were purchasing and so on. But some companies have been dinged already, such as Goldman Sakhs getting hit with a few billion dollar fines for selling investments they internally knew were poo poo but marketing as prime grade investment vehicles.

The problem with a few billion dollar in fines is that GS can easily take that as a cost of business expense and keep doing what they were doing. Also since our economy is so tightly tied with the investment banks, hitting any of that could harm economic recovery.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

tbp posted:

If you make regular, even relatively small, contributions from an early age, by the time you retire your IRA can easily be 1m or north of that. It only requires a small amount of discipline re: saving, but that's the magic of compound interest.

absolutely, everyone should be saving for retirement as soon as you start working. Even 25 bucks a week at 5 percent interest can make a huge difference in 40 years. ($165,930.94)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Femur posted:

I think the problem is that wages are the same, but costs keep rising. Investing looks more and more like a scam; with rolling crashes that destroy these retirement dreams.

Compound interest is the force crushing the have-nots right now, so I don't see how it can help without arbitrary rules.

as long as your ROR is greater than changes in the CPI, you are fine.

Typically CPI changes are about 1.5 - 3 percent growth annually, so even a 5 percent ROR will leave you in the black.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
5 percent is a very conservative rate of return on a mixture of bond securities, equity and cash. Its easily doable with low risk. However if you want more risk you would get more of a return.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Pohl posted:

I was promised that if I worked hard, I would be rewarded. That was never questioned, work hard and be middle class. I make $15 an hour, which is a really good wage in my state. It is also, what my parents made when I was a kid in the 70's - 80's. According to them, we were poor. So, I'm an individual making what 1 of my 2 parents made, (they bought their house for $25K by the way), and I'm making a really great wage in today's society. Unfortunately, I am only working part time because my employer cut everyone's hours.
I'm completely flabbergasted as to why people aren't incredibly pissed and spitting mad. People I talk to are just loving happy to have a job, and no one is rebellious at all.

Because lets blame the black guy who wanted everyone to have insurance!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Are your hands permanently balled into fists now?

Isn't he a Canadian citizen and not eligible to be a US senator?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I find it very interesting that we are this far into the obama administration and there have not been any significant scandals. Beyond Benghazi and that company that went bankrupt after getting a fair amount of Department of Energy loans, there has not been anything on the level of yellow cake or the endless 'scandals' of the Clinton administration.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

haveblue posted:

The NSA scandal is pretty significant and still ongoing.

Yes,but thats not a scandal being investigated by another branch of the gov't. No way the Republicans are going to make any serious political hay out of that.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

The Texas exurb regions are uniformly terrible like that regardless of whether they are Cedar Park, Sugar Land, or Frisco. Fishmech pointed out in another thread that it is these suburb republicans, not the vast rural areas, that gently caress over Texas and are what make the glorious gerrymandering possible.

I have no doubt he's very intelligent, but he apparently is a self-absorbed rear end in a top hat. Everything I have read about Cruz is that his main quality is that he constantly will take an opposing position to pick an argument and that he never ever drops an argument unless he wins. Facts don't matter, logical arguments don't matter, and tactics don't matter; winning is all that matters and he will accept his opponent throwing their hands up and yelling "gently caress this" as a win.

So he's a regular contributor to DD?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SgtScruffy posted:

Has anyone mentioned Operation: American Spring yet? Apparently BETWEEN 10-20 MILLION* true American patriots are going to descend upon DC and will not leave until Obongo is outed. Also, guns should not be brought, but know that the government MAY use deadly force against peaceful protesters.

*According to the radio host that is organizing it

I love how these so called 'American patriots' don't like the American political process. I seem to remember something going on in 2012 to chose the next POTUS. Is that not a valid political process?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/joe-the-plumber-wurzelbacher-ucsb-shooting-dead-kids

quote:

Wurzelbacher added that he has a responsibility as a "father, husband and a man" to protect his family. Addressing Martinez directly, Wurzelbacher wrote that "anyone calling for more restrictions on American’s rights need to back off and stop playing into the hands of the folks who merely capitalize on these horrific events for their own political ends."

Wurzelbacher closed with an admonition.

"In conclusion, I cannot begin to imagine the pain you are going through, having had your child taken away from you," he wrote. "However, any feelings you have toward my rights being taken away from me, lose those."

Wow, what an insensitive prick. I can't imagine what the right wing media machine is saying.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Spiffster posted:

Why the hell is this guy still in the news? Who gives a poo poo about this guy!?

Probably because he purposefully says inflammatory poo poo like this to keep his name up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nonsense posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo if you don't like him, people are tired of these shootings, and want legislation, period.

what legislation? Its already illegal for the mentally ill to own guns.

• Locked thread