Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

gently caress all y'all hoity toity poo poo. I'm drinking Labatt Blue because its on sale and has a rebate.

If I get a hankering for liquor I've got bottles and bottles of it leftover from my Mom's house that I brought home after cleaning her house after she died from complications related to the fact that she was unemployed and couldn't afford the medicine she needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think the speed is nearly paramount because it is the poo poo you use as a base to figuring out how to solve more difficult problems. You can then enjoy the bliss of knowing why the math works instead of still trying to figure out how to multiply by 8.

I mean, by all means, teach everything behind it as well, but memorize the gently caress out of those tables.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Jim Renacci came to the conclusion that we're unsustainable before knowing the facts.

quote:

"As a CPA and former business owner for nearly 30 years, I know how critical it is to have the financial information necessary before making a decision about how to best move an organization forward," said a statement from Renacci. "In Washington, we know that our current path is unsustainable, but do we really know where we stand fiscally? The answer is that we don't, and neither do the American people thanks to the federal government's incomplete financial statements."

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

SickZip posted:

Coates is so goddamn ridiculous. How are their presumable adults on this forum soberly talking about this article like it was brilliant when he's pitching reparations like some dopey liberal national exorcism where the ghosts of Lee and Atwater are going to be expelled from all our bodies. How can you read these lines and not lol:.

Because he's laying out the case that black poverty is not white poverty. Not only did he throw together a bunch of points illustrating this, but the editors felt it was kind enough to put it in big, bold letters that might assist challenged readers such as yourself to get it:

“Negro Poverty is not White Poverty”

He's also pointing out that simply attacking poverty overall hasn't helped: because while the letter of the law doesn't specifically exclude black people, the execution of it, by a bunch of assholes, has.

While neither you or I, or perhaps even our ancestors may not have been directly responsible for slavery, or what came afterwards: Coates correctly points out that blacks have had their property taken away- through means established through local or state goverments, how the governments did nothing to ensure the laws protected them, while banks and other firms either actively prevented blacks from accumulating wealth or outright stealing it.

So, what exactly do anti-poverty fixes for the general public do to fix all the wealth and property that has been denied or stolen from multiple generations of black people? Sorry we cut off your legs, but you're equal now!

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 22, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Miltank posted:

So what was that essay even calling for? I read the whole thing expecting some sort of proposal to be made, but it never comes. I gotta say I am really not impressed maybe I just don't "get it" the way some posters here do.

I am under the impression that the title of the article succinctly explains the point of it.

"A Case for Reparations"

Seems pretty obvious he's pointing out a bunch of bullshit that has happened post-slavery that continued to work towards blacks. Seems those things held them back in some aspects and just plain-old anti-poverty solutions has not done anything to combat it.

It is true that he's not necessarily calling for any specific proposal, but that's not the point of the article.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Amergin posted:

At some point we'll finally have great awakenings and reckonings for every lovely thing done by people against other people and we'll be good to go.

EDIT: I forgot, once we move on from ethnic reparations we can start on religious and sexual reparations. Men will pay reparations to women, heteros to homos, Christians, Muslims and Hindus will all circlejerk money to each other...

EDIT 2: Also, I'm sure some African tribes enslaved members of other tribes, so at some point we'll need to start following lineage back and having blacks pay reparations towards each other.

Marginalizing their experience to the point of a slippery slope argument is really all the proof I need that you're a real piece of poo poo.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

absolem posted:

I understand that startlingly few of you know anything about economics and that you probably don't care to learn.

Seriously, I don't know a lot about economics but its pretty clear that the whole reason lenders went on a spree of lowering requirements has everything to do with the demand coming from the wrong side of the equation. In other words, banks had an incentive to lower requirements for mortgages NOT because of demand for those buying houses, but for investors looking for bundled mortgages as MBS.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Let us make reparations for the fact that blacks were excluded either from the letter or by the process of carrying out laws.

Then include blacks, along with everyone else, with doing whatever we can to keep people out of poverty.

Seems pretty simple? I don't know how you would assume minorities would be included this time around when considering things to stop people from being poor. They haven't even been afforded equal footing the last time around.

Showing responsibility for our previous gently caress-ups in these regards and taking necessary action to eliminate it will have a positive effect on carrying out laws to help everyone else.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

If you're not a savvy enough consumer to test your own cough medicine for antifreeze, that sucks but don't blame your incompetence on the company which is, after all, just pursuing its moral duty to make money.

tbp posted:

This is a poor analogy.

You bought the cough medicine that was laden with antifreeze. Whether or not you knew this was the case, you are still responsible for the death of everyone who died because you bought it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

tbp posted:

Investing and purchasing a product for consumption are different.

What does that have to do with this?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Amergin posted:

I accept the idea that black and white poverty are different, but to me it's more due to how each arrived in poverty rather than how to help each get out of poverty. If you provide housing, education and a job or assistance in getting a job to the white poor and black poor, why would the white poor benefit more (assuming colorblind hiring, etc - again, I understand this is a fantasy).

I kind of feel that if you can grasp that white and black poverty are different, you should be able to understand why whites were benefiting more.

tbp posted:

:rolleyes: Come on now.

I'm serious.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Everything is coercion.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

nutranurse posted:

I've always wanted to ask a libertarian this (but I know few in real life because they're crazy fuckers and tend to be racist): Why would a minority want to forgo government protection of their rights

Well I think its probably easier than we think: a minority can certainly be disenfranchised enough by the government as it is to believe that the government does nothing for them. You get profiled enough by the cops, and the city just lets that poo poo slide, or doesn't stick up for you.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's in the NRA's best interest for this to keep occurring: how else can they convince exurbaners that they must be armed at all times?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Gyges posted:

Looks like Florida's redistricting mess is finally making it to the Supreme Court. Sort of.

Will the justices find it in their heart to rule that you can't compel a company to provide evidence that may hurt their bottom line?

3rd comment, wow:

quote:

Interesting to see how Republicans ditch states rights and state sovereignty when it is about them. Now they want the Federal Supreme Court to overrule the State's Supreme Court. Big goverement is only good when it works for them if it works for anyone else then its a waste.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Guys who ducked survived the war.

Guys who didn't...

welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Lemming posted:

You should have peed on them.

Great, then he probably would have been charged with sexual assault.

• Locked thread