Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Not to interrupt the always productive gun chat, but I loved this: http://www.vox.com/2014/5/16/5717674/obamas-plan-to-let-putin-hang-himself-is-working

It would be wonderful to see a large, real world, positive impact of globalization being its ability to check unfettered aggression.

That's definitely some good news there, hopefully it'll lead to a calming down of events there.

mdemone posted:

Good sweet Lord. Wouldn't ten 80mm pieces have done the job without having to spend years making something so...ridiculous?

Maybe not, I dunno how beefy the Maginot Line actually was. I mean, did the Nazis ever actually get to fire the thing?

Not quite as the 80mm guns wouldn't have the range or the explosive firepower of a larger gun. Of course when you're dealing with 800mm rounds the entire process is more than a bit absurd (loading it took about a half hour, I believe) and required a massive amount of troops to support it, including an entire railroad construction crew to build the tracks to where it'll be used. They eventually used it as part of the siege of Sevastopol, interestingly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fried Chicken posted:

There is no chance in hell they will convict the president for continuing the actions of his predecessor.

There you DUMBocrats go again, always blaming Bush for your own guy. It's been years now!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Why do conservatives and Very Serious People™ like to concern troll about "black on black" (or other minority on minority) crime, again?

A mix of blame-shifting and "See! They're totally doing it to themselves, it's not us!"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The commencement speaker for the MBA/MSACC program at UK this past week was Representative Andy Barr. Apparently he named his two role model politicians as Henry Clay (Pretty much required for a Kentucky Congresscritter) and Calvin Coolidge.

Yeahhh....

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is correct. The 14-part telegram, which was a declaration of war in all but name, was supposed to be on FDR's desk about an hour before the planes hit Pearl, but due to its sensitive nature, the Japanese diplomats at the Washington embassy refused to let their professional typists (who were Americans hired for that and other secretarial work) handle the notes. As such, they had to do it themselves, and none of them knew how to touch-type, resulting in the message only getting to the White House after the bombs had been dropped.

Even more amazing is that the US had broken the Japanese diplomatic cypher and actually had a decoded and translated version of it a few hours before it was delivered to the President.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wonder what poor soul is going to have that position inflicted upon them. Probably one of the biggest "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" seats in the government.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There's a difference?

One's the great evil, the would-be destroyer of America, and the other one is just a Terrorist group living in caves.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

vulturesrow posted:

So that minimum wage increase to 15$ in SeaTac is working out well. Of course there was really no way to know what might happen. :shrug:

Oh poo poo! I would have never guessed that businesses would use flimsy excuses to jack up the prices and cut benefits. It is indeed terrible that a valet service that parks one car per person per hour must pay everyone $15. It's almost like that's not the real reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mr Interweb posted:

That may be some lovely right-wing think tank/propaganda factory, but as I said in the Dittohead thread, I really hope the wage hike won't be high enough to have any significant negative impact. Conservatives will use that to argue against any min. wage increases from now until the end of time.

That would indeed be terrible. Otherwise they'd just have to cherrypick or even just fabricate evidence.

• Locked thread