Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

Well I think there's research that indicates that people prefer to have less in absolute terms, if it means they have more in relative terms. I read a study to that effect, at least, and it used multiple metrics (would you rather have $50k/year, or a 3000 sq ft apartment, when the average is $75k/4000sqft, or $30k/2000 square feet when the average is $20k/1000sq ft; that kind of thing).

I've always thought this was an interesting study, but at the same time it's also just asking "do you want to be above average or below average"? Which I think carries more consequences to it than simply trying to figure out if people want to have more stuff than their neighbors. Is the average what is necessary to get by and not risk serious financial troubles or possible bankruptcy? In which case you should take the $30k a year because then no one is in danger of getting thrown out on the street. In that case taking the $50k a year is jumping on a grenade for no reason. Even if you said "$20k a year is the bare minimum" I can understand hesitation to take the $50k offer because if the cost of living ever goes up it won't be an issue to most people until you've long since been run over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

agarjogger posted:

Can you elaborate? Seems like the start of an interesting discussion.

As someone who struggled a lot with calculus, I mostly found it hard to grasp the abstract nature of it. Hell, even just the simple concept of a limit doesn't have a physical counterpart and you can't really visualize it. Not to mention one of my teachers had such a thick German accent he would frequently substitute German words for English ones and he lectured at a break-neck pace and just kind of scribbled notes wherever he felt like on the board.

So in my defense it might've just been that I had a really bad teacher.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Swan Oat posted:

The only way to conclusively settle this matter is to make it illegal for white people to vote.

Sounds good to me.

• Locked thread