Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Drink chat: I've been loving Dark and Stormy recently, dark rum (though I've been using Sailor Jerry's), ginger beer and a slice of lime. Smooth and perfect for summer political protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Welp, a federal judge just closed down the John Doe investigation into Scott Walker

quote:

In his ruling, Randa sided with Wisconsin Club for Growth and its director, Eric O'Keefe, who argued that the "John Doe" investigation had "devastated" the group's ability to fundraise and engage in issue advocacy, and had limited it and other conservative group's participation in the 2014 election cycle. In his ruling for the conservative group, Randa cited several Supreme Court cases, including the recent McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission, to say that issue advocacy speech can only be viewed one way -- as "protected First Amendment speech" -- and to cast doubts on the government's right to regulate it.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/judge-shuts-down-wisconsin-john-doe

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
tbp literally has a multi-page rap sheet, don't argue with him, it just lets him poo poo up the thread faster.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
So remember when Reagan took solar panels off the white house because he was a spite golem? Well, the White House is finally just now getting a new solar panel installation. Basically a symbolic gesture, but I wonder how much conservative rage this will cause.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Besides if we send a banker to jail no one will want to be a banker, just like how when we jail drug users everyone else stops using drugs ergo

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Whenever I am feeling down I just go check out all the cool stuff science is doing, because science is doing lots of cool stuff! Things that help: there is improvement in understanding and creating better solar power technology like every 3 days. Also lots of breakthroughs in quantum computing technology and understanding the science behind superconducting materials. Go make yourself a bit smarter and take a break from depressing political stuff now and then!

Edit: alternatively, if you are more the schadenfreud type, check out the freeper thread and watch as insane racist/homophobic conservatives have their insular christian theocratic world fall apart around them. I suggest the past few pages starting around here to watch them lose their poo poo over Michael Sam getting drafted.

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 11, 2014

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Seriously people suicide is a terrible thing, besides if everyone who can recognize that everything is poo poo kills themselves it is never not going to be poo poo. Stop focusing on depressing political stuff if you feel like that, and talk to someone who knows how to help better than I do (loving do it).

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
How can you be depressed when we have the Republican 2016 Presidential primaries to look forward to?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

SnakePlissken posted:

Hey, whoever made the suggestion about reading Science Daily as an antidote for politics-induced melancholy had a pretty good little suggestion. I regret having not been there much lately. Thanks for that one!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn.”

― T.H. White, The Once and Future King

:hf: I mainly check out the technology news section because I'm a loving nerd, but all of it is really cool. Highly recommended for anyone who is feeling down. Science is awesome and it usually is broken down in a way that even my political science major can still mostly understand.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Common Core works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Fried Chicken posted:

New OP is almost done but I need to get to bed. If someone can find the post I made (I thought it was here but I'm not seeing it) detailing what is going on with reproductive rights where I talked contraception and South Dakota's abortion desert I want to crib that. Also we need a drink

The closest I could find is a portion of a post of yours about abortion in North Dakota from the last thread here. That it?

• Locked thread