Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

SnowblindFatal posted:

As a newcomer, I find it hilarious that the whole first page of USA politics thread is just full of booze talk. You guys really have lost hope, haven't you?

The political system in America has become absolutely untenable. In our absolute Us vs Them political system it's more important to sabotage the other team than it is to actually govern. Add to that the media figuring out that it can make millions of dollars telling people what they want to hear as opposed to doing actual journalism and you end up with a system where all the money and power is in creating conflict instead of solving problems.

Welcome to America! Have a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Dystram posted:

One party wants to, at the very least, prevent collapse, while the other wants to burn the house down and nuke the site from orbit to prevent any house from being built there ever again. Our political system is not untenable; one party and the portion of the electorate that votes for them is so vitriolic, hateful, ignorant, and stupid that they are untenable, and never were tenable.

I do understand the sentiment, but I also have republican family members and they'll tell you it's the Democrats. It's hard to say "our system is fine, except for half of the electorate who are inhuman monsters."

Honestly this is part of the problem that we have become so used to demonizing the other side and anyone who supports them that we're not even looking for bipartisanship because there's no political gain in compromise.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Bunleigh posted:

How do there still exist people who pay even a cursory level of attention to current events and can't tell Republicans are the problem? I'm not talking about the twisted hate-golems that make up the actual right wing base, I mean just regular-rear end well-meaning folks who fret about how dysfunctional everything is and believe the truth is in the middle somewhere. I just really can't believe anyone who isn't fully invested in the right-wing worldview can still at this point fail to recognize the reality they're living in.

Well I'll throw in my two cents growing up as the son of a registered tea party fox news watching ex-military/small business/gun owner and a bleeding heart liberal who hates the republicans and thinks we should remove the second amendment and censor media that "damages our society". I've watched the whole thing get more and more vicious and personal and partisan all my life.

I'm not saying that republicans aren't usually in the wrong or ignorant of the issues, as I have always voted democrat, but at the end of the day you can't ignore them and you can't disenfranchise roughly half the country. Like it or not there are a lot of them and in a democracy that's all that counts.

I wish I had a solution or saw some hope on the horizon but sometimes it feels like Ukraine with both sides calling each other fascists and rallying everyone to get angrier and never give in to those democrats/republicans/nazis. The greatest advantage America has is that even while we feel cheated or angry we haven't resorted to violence in the streets. Yet.

quote:

Check into this very forum on any debate about drone strikes, the death penalty, austerity, welfare etc. You don't have to be a Republican to be stupid and vindictive.

Also, yeah there are a lot of issues that should be more nuanced than breaking straight down party lines but we'll never address them when we can't even get on the same page with simple provable things like global warming.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 7, 2014

• Locked thread