Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I assume everyone is drinking Blanton's as their sipping bourbon of choice because it's so drat smooth.

Also supporting whoever suggested Lagavulin 16yr.

Blanton's is fine, but bourbon generally is either too sweet or lacking in character WRT Scotch and Rye.

Lagavulin 16, that's me! Favorite, but don't drink it often because it's roughly twice as pricey as Laphroaig quarter-cask. Better, but not >1.5x $ better. Lagavulin's more of a "grandpa died anniversary" drink than a "gently caress it we live in a completely broken world" drink - there's more sensible stuff to dull some pain for a moment, even if Lagavulin is distilled magic that helps you make the world feel less horrible.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Hedera Helix posted:

Why is everything always called "tactical"? What's even remotely tactical about this?

Do you know any severe gun-culture types? I've seen one guy who had a tac'd out Ruger SR-22, made to look like it was police issue rather than a varmint-killer. Every dumbass bell and whistle you could want for a gun, I even mistook it for a higher-cal rifle and initially criticized him because the stupid thing would've shot through his suburban slapdash house walls. He posted pictures, with smug captions about "Home defense" so I assumed he was thinking some kind of gang invasion last-stand scenario instead of just jerking off with his heavy double-price varmint/target rifle. Taught me the value of talking to dudes who chose Arizona.

It relates to the (correct) view posted by a few in this thread, about guns serving as totems more than tools for many users. I own some, but they're locked and I don't bother stocking ammo until the week before some shooting. You're supposed to be able to use your red dot sight, in tandem with your forward pistol grip and under-folder stock, supplemented by your taped-together double magazine and strategic muzzle brake and/or threaded barrel end, to essentially live out some videogame fantasy. Don't call the cops, bad guys could be taking your high school trophy or something, and burglars always loudly forewarn homeowners while often showing up in groups of ten or more. This is a sane concern for a suburban divorced dad, and not a weird fantasy for some reason.

e: Agreed about the S/A shotgun and any decent .22, they're the most practical choices. My others were inherited and are basically relics since they're break-barrels from before the Titanic sank.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 18, 2014

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

So that means black dildos are considered tactical now?

Depends on whether it can mount to things. Suction, standalone (if so, flared or no?). Does it take picatinny rails? Get specific, dude.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

agarjogger posted:

Writing a script that replaces all instance of gun/firearm forum mentions with dildo/butt plug of various colors, textures, and sizes.

Hell yeah. Desert-camo double-dong underslung with a side-folding stock made of lexan dildos melted-together into a fine piece of bracing equipment. Toss that poo poo in the locker at your YMCA, if they don't try to shut down your 2a rights at the door. If so, try the next location, or use a bigger duffel bag. Don't forget the IR scope for peeping on your tactical opponents' biological equipment in daylight hours, Sony discontinued production of those Handycams but there are aftermarket conversions for suburban scoping. Semper penes.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Yeah, it was posted here earlier this week, but I've been using that term in person for a while now. NC has open primaries, so I've never changed from independent registration. And while I've done footwork on behalf of individual Democratic candidates, I've never bothered with generic party functions aside from yearly precinct mixers to see who's new.

I don't know how much the actual partisans grasp the prevalence of this attitude. Guys at the top must know. My local captains were always like "but you miss out on some democratic party meta-votes" and didn't quite get that I'd leave them in a heartbeat if there were any leftist candidates in the race. "I'm more of an anti-Republican" is more diplomatic than "you guys really aren't that much better about grinding the working class into dust both here and abroad, and the handful of progressive positions you take are poll-tested to hell and back before you bother advocating, thanks for not deliberately trying to destroy the world I guess"

• Locked thread