Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Mo_Steel posted:

"Web-cam abortions" :confused: What in the hell?
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/24/133182875/Growing-Controversy-Surrounds-Telemed-Abortions. Woman visits clinic; doctor does not (e.g. because the clinic is remote and the doctor needs to cover half the goddamned state, or because abortion doctors require hospital privileges and Republicans have intimidated local hospitals into revoking the privileges of all "baby killers").

Clinic staff do prelim tests (e.g. sonograms) and necessary paperwork beforehand. Doctor talks with woman via Skype videoconference; answers her questions; verifies that she is a good candidate for the procedure and that there are no contraindications. If all goes well, doctor prescribes abortifacient drug (to be dispensed immediately by staff at the clinic); doctor uses Skype to verify that patient has taken the first dose and checks for any immediate side-effects or adverse reactions (which might require further monitoring or hospitalization). The standard drug regimen involves a 48-hour delay between doses; I think that the second dose is taken without doctor supervision.

The fetus is subsequently miscarried (e.g. cervical dilation, cramping, heavy menses), presumably at the patient's home. Clinic staff are supposed to followup with the patient, run some routine tests, and contact the doctor for further support if complications arise.

A few women have died from complications (due to missing/inadequate medical supervision and followup) but I suspect that most of the opposition arises from the fact that this procedure makes abortion more available (or simply "available at all" in some areas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Vulcans bleed green due to copper instead of iron as the oxygen carrier. What metal would be blue? Hmmmmmm
Copper.

• Locked thread