Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Nope came out in April and is sitting at the top of my to read list after finishing Foote's Civil War Trilogy.

Dang, man, making me want more books. Never read Foote's, and after Grant's memoirs, I'm hankering for an epic history. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Be forewarned that Foote's narrative is three volumes long, and they're not short volumes either. Also, Foote is very sympathetic to Jefferson Davis, though he doesn't cross the line into Lost Cause apologia. It's a good read despite this, but seriously you're going to need to invest a lot of time to get through it.

Yeah I saw that in the reviews, will take under advisement.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cimber posted:

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but have you read "Battle cry of Freedom"? Its an excelent read, and was my textbook in my civil war class.

Its one of the very few textbooks I kept and still read from time to time.

Think so? Anyway, maybe we should stop derailing into civil war book chat. There's an american history thread I'm pretty sure, for that sort of thing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

quote:

No, he acknowledged that blacks are statistically far more likely than him to be in positions of poverty, and that he as a white male has a huge advantage of privilege. But it's not his fault that this is the case, and it would be immoral of him to not happily play his hand he was dealt through sheer luck*.

*In this analogy his deck consists entirely of single-suited Jack through Aces, ensuring a royal flush nearly every time, while a black person's deck only has a single card, if that.

I'm sorry, but a royal flush is ten to ace, not jack to ace. God.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Goddamnit, I was just going back to edit that and now you've caught me! :argh:

It bugged me all to hell. :v:

There actually is a variant called royal poker which is played with just ten to ace, but all four suits, played like regular holdem. It's bizarre, the only way for a straight to be the best hand is if the board is exactly a straight. No flushes except royals. Quads and full houses win a lot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Not a huge deal, but it's Medicaid that you're talking about, not Medicare.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

zoux posted:

We're about ten years out max from the last WWII vet dying, which is weird for all of us who grew up with WWII vet grandparents. My grandpa just died this month and he enlisted in the navy at 17 in 1945, making him about as young as it is possible for a WWII vet to be. He was 86.

Same, my grandfather just died and he joined at 18 and worked on the drawdown. It's a little crazy (plus he looked pretty swank in his army uniform!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Radish posted:

It's amusing when some conservatives aren't in on the real plan which is to strip mine the country of all wealth and be damned if that leaves it as a lifeless crater.

Isn't it really that Republicans that start to question why Republican economics don't make sense tend to turn into right wing Democrats?

• Locked thread