Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Adom is legit great if you love reading guidebooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Nethack is my favorite rougelike. Should I try Crawl?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

ya, i played a lot of nethack and then switched to crawl and it's better

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Spenny posted:

Op forgot Binding of isaac, rogue legacy, Ftl, dreadmore, noxico, Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, delver, chantelise, the void.

Several these are not roguelikes. Cheers.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

PRobably not, Crawl is just a derivative clone of every other roguelike distilled and dumbed down for contards

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

normally i use numpad for movement so how the gently caress do you play these on a laptop

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone else play way too much flatspace when it first came out?

Parallax Scroll posted:

normally i use numpad for movement so how the gently caress do you play these on a laptop

Numlock or usb numpad for old games, new games like crawl are optimized (you basically just hit O until you auto-wander towards something and then use the mouse from there)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Numlock or usb numpad for old games

what does this mean. like how would numlock help when there's no numpad

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
yu
hjkl
bn

if you don't know vim keys you suck at roguelikes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what did you think the little blue numbers on the right hand keys were for bro?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

what did you think the little blue numbers on the right hand keys were for bro?

what blue numbers

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Got my first SIL win today. Booyah.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16060

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Parallax Scroll posted:

what blue numbers

https://www.google.com/search?q=num...numpad&tbm=isch

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Congrats.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

desktop dungeons is really good and challenging but is really light on the actual roguelike mechanics

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

No Such Thing posted:

desktop dungeons is really good and challenging but is really light on the actual roguelike mechanics

desktop dungeons makes me think "man it would be a lot easier to write a program to solve this than to play it"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the wrong thread was stickied

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

would you really want tails butt stickied up to the top

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

https://crawl.s-z.org/#lobby

Im playing a MfSk as LatinaPride, come yell at me if you want

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Oh I forgot you press _ to talk

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

mine doesn't have those

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I died

Dec 26, 2012

nice

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
my favorite rogue-like is dark cloud 1

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Adom is legit great if you love reading guidebooks.

I see your username

what did I say

don't play ADOM and what did you go and do

by the way how are you liking those hot hot new updates that do little to address major game problems that come crawling out once every 3 months or so

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Ralp posted:

a stark monotony of alternating vignettes of getting hungry and killing some wandering monster.

More or less like a gamers life.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

No Such Thing posted:

it's good, takes everything good about rl combat tactics and turns it into a puzzle game

i played a lot of tome4 recently and it's fun but the early areas are a slog and the difficulty curve is brutal

e: and agreed w/ whoever mentioned teleglitch, it's the closest thing to a survival horror rl.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

it's good, takes everything good about rl combat tactics and turns it into a puzzle game

i played a lot of tome4 recently and it's fun but the early areas are a slog and the difficulty curve is brutal

e: and agreed w/ whoever mentioned teleglitch, it's the closest thing to a survival horror rl.

i just don't like the gay cooldowns and runes

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Even if we leave aside some of the questionable design decisions, the problem with ToME4 as roguelike is that it's an extremely long game where the vast majority of fights are completely trivial but then you run into one tough enemy (usually just a randomly generated 'elite' or whatever they're called) that absolutely annihilates you and blocks you from using all your healing and escape options.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
how dare you say that horrible jrpg design is bad

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i got pokemon mystery dungeon on gba. but i dindt play it long enough to figure out much of the game system because it seemed boring and poo poo.

Cumsquid
Sep 30, 2005

~Spicy Gaming~

Spenny posted:

Op forgot Binding of isaac, rogue legacy, Ftl, dreadmore, noxico, Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, delver, chantelise, the void.

This is the Roguelikes thread, not the Roguelike-likes thread. Please stop this trolling immediately

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

The OP also forgot the original roguelike, Solitaire.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Abandon posted:

i got pokemon mystery dungeon on gba. but i dindt play it long enough to figure out much of the game system because it seemed boring and poo poo.

Most (all?) of the Mystery Dungeon games post-Shiren II make you basically beat the game before you get to the actual roguelike section. Shiren II is good though.

Dec 26, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Even if we leave aside some of the questionable design decisions, the problem with ToME4 as roguelike is that it's an extremely long game where the vast majority of fights are completely trivial but then you run into one tough enemy (usually just a randomly generated 'elite' or whatever they're called) that absolutely annihilates you and blocks you from using all your healing and escape options.

this

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

Most (all?) of the Mystery Dungeon games post-Shiren II make you basically beat the game before you get to the actual roguelike section. Shiren II is good though.

a roguelike where you have to unlock stuff? wtf homo poo poo is that

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
mystery dungeon games are cargo cult roguelikes. they're bad.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mystery dungeon games are cargo cult roguelikes. they're bad.

explain

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

qnqnx posted:

explain

some japanese designers played rogue a bunch in the early 90s and decided to make a game just like it, except all they really took from it was 'this game is hard, turn based, and randomized'

now there's an entire franchise of japanese games based around that idea without any of what makes actual roguelikes fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

some japanese designers played rogue a bunch in the early 90s and decided to make a game just like it, except all they really took from it was 'this game is hard, turn based, and randomized'

now there's an entire franchise of japanese games based around that idea without any of what makes actual roguelikes fun

and jrpgs are cargo cult Wizardry, so it makes sense

• Locked thread