Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why would you ever prefer a version of the game in which weapon enchant scrolls can arbitrarily fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

why would you ever prefer a version of the game in which weapon enchant scrolls can arbitrarily fail

it was kind of nice when everyone wasn't running around with +9 weapons by Vaults

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

e - a legendary deck of destruction (in hand)
You draw a card...it is Chris Campbell.
Choose an arbitrary feature to cut:

magic dart

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

IronicDongz posted:

I dunno, the cool part to me is it gives you an incentive to have multiple weapons and swap. It used to take fewer scrolls to get two +5 weapons than to get one +9 one.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the incentive to swap has always been brands/hydras imo not 'this one has +whatever to accuracy'

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

the incentive to swap has always been brands/hydras imo not 'this one has +whatever to accuracy'

Nah, I just mean the failure chance part, I think getting rid of separate accuracy and damage was fine.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

I dunno, the cool part to me is it gives you an incentive to have multiple weapons and swap. It used to take fewer scrolls to get two +5 weapons than to get one +9 one.

yeah p much

my ~secret plan~ to fix this is to make it deterministically take more scrolls to upgrade weapons that are near max - say, 2 scrolls to go +6->+7 and +7->+8, three to go +8->+9. add a little counter next to the weapon in your inventory - A - a +6 lajatang of speed (1/2). something like that

the current thing with enchant scrolls always working is an overall improvement over the old system. having to pray for the rng to grant you that next plus on your weapon was Not Fun. but Improvements Are Possible

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
I like that 'cause I do think there should be some kinda diminishing returns. Makes it much cooler to get that +9

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

yeah p much

my ~secret plan~ to fix this is to make it deterministically take more scrolls to upgrade weapons that are near max - say, 2 scrolls to go +6->+7 and +7->+8, three to go +8->+9. add a little counter next to the weapon in your inventory - A - a +6 lajatang of speed (1/2). something like that

the current thing with enchant scrolls always working is an overall improvement over the old system. having to pray for the rng to grant you that next plus on your weapon was Not Fun. but Improvements Are Possible

Yeah this sound better.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
don't make each weapon track its fractional enchantment, just pop up a message like "This will consume 3 scrolls of enchant weapon, Y/N"

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

don't make each weapon track its fractional enchantment, just pop up a message like "This will consume 3 scrolls of enchant weapon, Y/N"

this is probably better, and was my initial plan, but the code will be harder & buggier

might end up implementing it this way anyway, though. idk

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i mean, given that item destruction is gone, when would you even bother giving your weapon a partial enchantment. i guess if you were already holding 52 items and one of them was a scroll of enchant weapon and had to pick up something else??

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

i mean, given that item destruction is gone, when would you even bother giving your weapon a partial enchantment. i guess if you were already holding 52 items and one of them was a scroll of enchant weapon and had to pick up something else??

pretty much

one of the things people are talking about is an interface for using items from the ground (drinking potions, reading scrolls, wielding weapons), in the same way that you can eat chunks off the ground. that would be Nice.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
read/quaff interfaces could just list items on ground as well, couldn't they? or is that weird codewise

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

you should be able to eat corpses directly

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ferrinus posted:

this but irl

Dec 26, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

this but irl

good news

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Psycho Mantis species where all your items float around you at all times and you can throw them at hydrae for double damage.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

pathetic little tramp posted:

Psycho Mantis species where all your items float around you at all times and you can throw them at hydrae for double damage.

this but irl

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ferrinus posted:

Someone needs to remake IVAN

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

or is that weird codewise

ding

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

havent played crawl since i died on the orb run after getting it for the first time, poo poo was infuriating. is the new version good and did they finally remove the horrible tedium of the food clock?

i beat tome 4 and basically have no interest in playing it ever again. drat that game is too long for its own good

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

babypolis posted:

havent played crawl since i died on the orb run after getting it for the first time, poo poo was infuriating. is the new version good and did they finally remove the horrible tedium of the food clock?

i beat tome 4 and basically have no interest in playing it ever again. drat that game is too long for its own good

yeah the food clock is gone, they made a really easy class that doesn't ever have to mess with it - mummies. if you still want the food experience you can challenge yourself with something like minotaur or kobold, but most people play as mummies because they're a lot more fun and less tedious

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fwiw it's not gone, but it matters less because there's no brown meat that causes sickness anymore, all meat that can be eaten is 'clean' meat

don't play a mummy, even in jest

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

yeah the food clock is gone, they made a really easy class that doesn't ever have to mess with it - mummies. if you still want the food experience you can challenge yourself with something like minotaur or kobold, but most people play as mummies because they're a lot more fun and less tedious

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I miss the djinni

whoopy was so bad with them trying to get one to cast fire storm that some fire mage ran into his ghost on two levels and complained he was intentionally killing him self to grief people.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Everyone, share your favorite cool/ridiculous mechanic in a roguelike game!

Mine is probably the endless dungeon thing from ADOM.

Basically it was an infinitely deep dungeon with floors randomly recreated every time you entered them that was marginally useful for grinding stuff. Also, one of the levels wasn't random, but instead a very hard labyrinth with a very difficult boss monster that dropped a thing that was necessary for a super awesome secret ending.

The kicker is - the number of the floor this boss appeared at was equal to the times you killed a monster of the type you first killed with this character, so if you decided to go for this ending, the first thing you had to do with your character is to make sure the first thing you kill is not a loving rat. Or an orc. Or pretty much anything, since by the time you could reasonably attempt to kill that boss it was late-endgame and you've killed lots of everyone; also, it's not like there are many monster types you can kill at level 1.

Basically, the easiest way to deal with this poo poo was to accept a quest in the first village (a little girl asks you to rescue a cute puppy from the tutorial dungeon), traverse said dungeon without killing anything, then slaughtering the drat puppy, which made you cursed or something but was totally worth it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Nah a beggar/mugger is the pro choice, actually most of the Llewlyn monsters are good.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Yeah, I tried that once. Then I managed to kill a hundred or something muggers somewhere.

Also, in Ragnarok you were able to grow extra fingers (and wear more rings on them) and eyes (and make your gaze attacks progressively kickass)!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

blainestereo posted:

Everyone, share your favorite cool/ridiculous mechanic in a roguelike game!

Mine is probably the endless dungeon thing from ADOM.

Basically it was an infinitely deep dungeon with floors randomly recreated every time you entered them that was marginally useful for grinding stuff. Also, one of the levels wasn't random, but instead a very hard labyrinth with a very difficult boss monster that dropped a thing that was necessary for a super awesome secret ending.

The kicker is - the number of the floor this boss appeared at was equal to the times you killed a monster of the type you first killed with this character, so if you decided to go for this ending, the first thing you had to do with your character is to make sure the first thing you kill is not a loving rat. Or an orc. Or pretty much anything, since by the time you could reasonably attempt to kill that boss it was late-endgame and you've killed lots of everyone; also, it's not like there are many monster types you can kill at level 1.

Basically, the easiest way to deal with this poo poo was to accept a quest in the first village (a little girl asks you to rescue a cute puppy from the tutorial dungeon), traverse said dungeon without killing anything, then slaughtering the drat puppy, which made you cursed or something but was totally worth it.

ADOM is a goddamn treasure trove of weird rear end stuff like that. I like the dungeon where on the first level all the monsters arbitrarily spawn at 2x your level, so if you spend too much time there even the rats start punching through your armor for hundreds of damage.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ADOM is hot messy wet garbage

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
adom rocks

not like to play though

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Cobweb Heart posted:

adom rocks

not like to play though

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

adom is "win"

Dec 26, 2012

Cobweb Heart posted:

adom rocks

not like to play though

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
looking forward to Darkest Dungeon

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Darkest Dungeon looks boss as hell

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Black August posted:

Darkest Dungeon looks boss as hell

"You will have to tend to characters’ spirits as much as you do their Hit Points."

That sounds incredibly tedious and not fun, unless they just mean a glorified food timer, in which case, fine. But hopefully it can be handled in an interesting way.

Also party combat combos seem cool.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

"You will have to tend to characters’ spirits as much as you do their Hit Points."

That sounds incredibly tedious and not fun, unless they just mean a glorified food timer, in which case, fine. But hopefully it can be handled in an interesting way.

Also party combat combos seem cool.

its basically an alternate hp track but if you run out, you go nuts instead of dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zarick posted:

its basically an alternate hp track but if you run out, you go nuts instead of dying

is 'go nuts' just a confuse spell? Or does it get more interesting than that?

reminds me of http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Madness

• Locked thread