Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Prop. I mean this sincerely.

I don't hate you at all. I have no idea why you think any of that was anything to do with you.

Majuju outplayed me. And he did it well. I honestly don't know how you could read that and think I was saying anything about you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Propaganda Machine posted:

I don't know why you betrayed Chili. I'm guessing Andy had spoken to you and Windy or something. But listen: if you didn't want such a "boring" finish to the game, then why did you save Andy and, by extension, Durf as a whole?

So I guess even though this has been discussed about a thousand times over.

Hi we saved Andy because we didn't think the move was cool. And in all sincerity Andy ended up being cooler to work with than Chili was shaping up to be. In the long term yeah it was the bad call. But see I kind of went from not liking Andy to thinking he was cool.

I'm pretty sure he gets that there was nothing personal when he went out.

In the same way I don't think anything personal about me going out.

I have no idea where this idea I hate you came from. In truth I actually don't mind anyone in this game.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Silence is worse than malice.

Calling Byers the only actual player remaining, besides Majuju, is loving low and you know it.

Prop. Name one play you have made this game that you followed through on.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

If we are asking questions, I have one! It is about the internal consistency of your arguments, which has historically been bad but like, currently is amazing. You guys should coordinate better, although I suspect the lack of ability to do so is why we are HERE doing this now. The question is this, how can Maj be both the master architect of all evil AND at the SAME TIME be a fall guy patsy chump?

My follow up question is more of an OFFER really, as long as IF YOU JUST QUIT I WOULD APPRICIATE IT is on the table, if anyone wants to take me up on that and abdicate the thread in favor of me, that would rule. Cena has the forms I think.

What?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

The Durf swap strategy, for one.

Andy correctly predicted that a swap was coming, and we had a couple days to prepare.

So, we were most likely going to be split up with four on one side and two on the other, or split with three of us in each new tribe.

As for what we planned on DOING about it? That was all me.

I suggested that the foursome throw challenges to boot the non-Durfs and protect the minority Durfs on the other side. I am positive we would have followed through with that, if we'd had to.

Since we were divided three-three, our only play, which I also suggested, was to feign cracks and division and sell each other out as much as possible. It wasn't as clean or elegant as the other case, but our only chance in hell was to play for our new tribes and obsfucate the outstanding Durfness for as long as we could.

You see this play out right after the merge. Dhaes flipped to "Durf," who wanted Andy out. Obviously, we couldn't let that happen. That was Fast Luck's first idol gambit. Originally, Byers was going to vote with "Durf" while Winson and I flipped back to protect Andy. I didn't tell Byers why, but after the idol offer, I wanted to preserve that relationship and illusion for as long as I could, and it worked until Andy left with the most simple of majorities.

Ah so when you talked about "game theory" what you actually meant was theoretical plays as opposed to real ones.

Gotcha.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Cute.

By game theory I mean everybody making the best move possible for themselves, and trying to suss out the logical fallacies they currently fall victim to.

It wasn't a theoretical play, and least not of "Durf." I worked the "I'm not a big Andy fan." "I don't even KNOW Ice Phoenix" angle as hard as I could.

Shrug. Have fun not voting for me to win, I guess.

I will be joining the rest of my fellow judges in that game.

In truth I'm at this point torn between Winson and Ice for who I would vote. Ice I like more, but Winson makes funny posts and made some plays that I think were good.

I would vote Byers but I don't think any of you are dumb enough to put him in a position where he could get voted on.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

Also was this directed at me or Cena?

It was a joke, much like the rest of the overblown nature of the post. I mean you can if you want to.

And nothing of worth was lost.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

It was a joke, much like the rest of the overblown nature of the post. I mean you can if you want to.

And nothing of worth was lost.

See this too was a joke. I know you guys have problems recognising them.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

pre:
God fashioned the ship of the world carefully. 
With the infinite skill of an All-Master 
Made He the hull and the sails, 
Held He the rudder 
Ready for adjustment. 
Erect stood He, scanning His work proudly. 
Then -- at fateful time -- a wrong called, 
And God turned, heeding. 
Lo, the ship, at this opportunity, slipped slyly, 
Making cunning noiseless travel down the ways. 
So that, forever rudderless, it went upon the seas 
Going ridiculous voyages, 
Making quaint progress, 
Turning as with serious purpose 
Before stupid winds. 
And there were many in the sky 
Who laughed at this thing. 

Seriously you're making a good go of actually making me vote for you at this point.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I guess I have one lingering question then.

Why did you guys go straight for me after you nailed Andy? Why not take care of Byers at that point, if he's SUCH A THREAT?

Because, and when you read the confessionals you will see this is true. I actually had you down as the best player in the game.

Yet for some reason that changed.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Yeah, you know, if you hadn't been so consistently straightforward in not trusting me, maybe I would have trusted you with something.

In my experience trusting you doesn't work out that well for anyone involved.

Hi Winds buddy. See you soon.

I'll have my column in pink please.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Yeah, you know, if you hadn't been so consistently straightforward in not trusting me, maybe I would have trusted you with something.

Actually I will tell you the one thing you did all game that made me think maybe this person isn't that cool.

It's when you went into the mafia general thread and taunted YPM who wasn't even in the game any more. So yeah I thought that was kind of lovely.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I'll take that. That's fair.

Beyond that I didn't have anything at all against you. I confess I didn't trust you, but that was for the same reason that you didn't trust me. And then after the Dhaes vote I wasn't about to trust easily again.

But I worked with lots of people I didn't trust in the game. It was literally part of the game to distrust people.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Majuju posted:

It's going to make me so glad to see three people who I trust and care about make it to the final stage of the game. Three people who have stood together because they realized that working with one another is better than panicked PMs and histrionic tribal council answers. I don't care about the grand prize: I've already won.

I respect this. I do.

I still think you've absolutely murdered the interest of a lot of the people who were reading this thread, and killed a lot of the drama of the game.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I am being straight up and sincere in saying this. But in this situation, where you have 5 of you left who all trust and want the best for each other, why not just play it straight now. No backroom bargaining or whatever, and just let the challenges decide who falls where.

Because right now at 4 you're still going to have the backstab, so why not go the whole hog and commit to playing the game out and give everyone a shot at the prize.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

I am being straight up and sincere in saying this. But in this situation, where you have 5 of you left who all trust and want the best for each other, why not just play it straight now. No backroom bargaining or whatever, and just let the challenges decide who falls where.

Because right now at 4 you're still going to have the backstab, so why not go the whole hog and commit to playing the game out and give everyone a shot at the prize.

There are people who have followed this game, who have rooted for and against you, and who have spent time invested in how it plays out. Why not between the 5 of you at least give them something to remain invested in, rather than end everything on the negociations that took place in a google doc.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Majuju posted:

There are still like ten ways this game can play out, you realize

There really isn't.

The one fly in the ointment now is Fast Luck going on a immunity spree. But I think the reason you've voted me out tonight is because of the two of us he's the one least likely to do this.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

At this point I'm not playing for myself. I'm literally playing for the sake of entrainment for those watching it, for those who put the time into running it and for the people who played the game to this point.

Don't let the game end with a damp squib. You guys won. Congratulations. Now give the fans something to remember you all by that isn't "they won and then stopped playing."

You write your own legacy here. Make it a good one. And this series not be the one that was really good and then stopped.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Whether or not we saw eye to eye, it was a pleasure playing with everyone, even the really really irritating folk.

To the people who read this thread, I hoped I entertained you along the way. It doesn't get said enough, but those occasional spectator posts actually genuinely made me appreciate that there were people following this. Thanks for doing that.

Peace.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Fast Luck, you shocked the world, did the impossible and survived time and time again when the odds were stacked against you, something in all honesty I don't know that I could have done. How does it feel to be better than the best (in the thread)?

Ice, It's been a long journey since I first saw you in a google doc, and across the way my opinion of you changed a great deal from the first impression that I saw in the thread. I gotta know one thing though.

When it comes crashing down brother and it hurts inside, when you gotta take a stand and theres no place to hide. When they hurt your friends, when they hurt your pride to the point you gotta take a stand because you can't let it slide. Are you in fact a real american? Would you fight for the rights of every man?

Prop, here's where I get serious. You might think that people hate you, but they don't. Not as a person, nor as a poster. But as a player in this game I think the way you see yourself and the game you've played is so far removed from the way that other people see you that I'm going to take this moment just to try and help you understand a little where I was coming from.

The fact is simply that the game you played isn't the game you think you've played. You did amazingly well to get to the end, and it's full credit to you. Yet the truth is that you managed to go from a contender to a goat in some peoples minds progressively through the game. And it wasn't because of the things that you did to win, but the things you didn't need to do that hurt you. You didn't need to send angry messages to people who were not willing to tell you if your head was on a plinth, didn't need to keep playing Winds when you played him, didn't need to say and do some of the things you said and did.

I've laid out before what I thought of the way you played, and I don't think I need to go back over it again because you know my opinion of that. In truth I don't think that this disconect between the game you think you played and the way you played it was something that was unique to you, in a way the whole gated community aspect of the tribes acted as a breeding ground for it, and of all the tribes the Durf's experienced that the most. Yet at the same time there were Durfs who came out making positive impressions on people (Ice and Winson to name two) and others who perhaps didn't manage this as well.

But here's the thing. I don't have a bad opinion of you, certainly not as a person. Because this game isn't the way people are, and in truth the person I did get a chance to speak to was funny and genuine. And I think that the sad point is that people are going to walk away with an impression of a person who isn't you, because of the impression you left in the thread. And in truth I don't think that's entirely fair to you.

So seriously, good luck tonight. I don't think you're going to win, but if you do you deserve it for getting here regardless of what I think of your play to get where it got you. Just in future try to be more yourself and less game theory led. Because honestly I think you the person would get more votes than you the player.

So basically my question to you is this. We gonna play some mafia or what at some point?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Poque posted:

me, last night: "is there any question that FL wins now?"
me, after FTC: "i would vote for prop after that ftc"

Nice work Prop and congrats!

Seriously this was exactly what it was like watching it play out in the judges doc.

That win was deserved after that performance.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

Poque, you should have seen the jury doc. My personal favorite came at the very end, when FL said he made an Alliance with the viewers!

Seriously you really aren't my brother right?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

John Cena posted:

Just out of curiosity, let's switch it up a bit. Let's say Propaganda Machine, you got voted out last, and Winson is in your spot with Fast Luck. PM, Jurors, how differently do you vote?

Winson.

He would've killed it on the D&D question.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Asiina posted:

Oh my god, before he got PMs and before the link was put into treemail, skinty sent me a short novel by email that I had to spend 20 minutes formatting so it wouldn't completely break the doc.

And yet you still voted for me.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I guess I should say that I'm genuinely humbled to have picked up the thread favourite prize. In truth I think that I stumbled a bit at the start while I was getting my footing and I didn't find my way until later on. I tried to write some entertaining posts, and I guess wrote some long rear end confessionals but I never had any idea how they were going down.

So to the people who voted for me, and for the people who followed this thread, thank you for doing so. It honestly means a lot that along the way I managed to entertain you a wee bit.

It was quite a journey.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Rarity posted:

As would I :ese:

I seem to recall it working out well for yo...

oh

:(

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Pander posted:

Like I said I didn't get a chance to read much of this game, just curious if anyone went 100% full-honesty no-alliance this game like I tried to last season.

The Goog tried it. It sadly didn't work out well for him.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

In the three tribe set up there isn't a lot of space to hide at all. Honestly I think the wider the initial field the more chance you have of getting far which is where ABB is probably better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Seriously the non Durf googledoc was about as quiet and as removed from my experiences in any other doc in the game so I totally get why Winson would have felt like that. It didn't feel as much like home as the De doc ever had been, and it was about as service like as you could possibly get.

• Locked thread