Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Welcome to the 2014 MLB Be A GM thread. Here is where I would link you to the old thread that was done two years ago if archives wasn't broken. But since they are, it means I have to do this whole OP on my own instead of copying the first one and changing things to be date specific.

What the hell is Be A GM?

Thirty goons will select a Major League Baseball team and draft their ideal 25 man roster in a snake draft, with a random draft order. We will then argue about who's team is the best while I put everyone's team into OOTP 15, where I will sim out the season for all the bragging rights.

:holy::slick::siren:How it works::siren::slick::holy:

Once everyone has their team, I'll run a random draft order in the game, and we will run a serpentine draft (I will set up a separate thread that will only be for picks) until each team has a full 25 man roster. After this, I'll let people set various strategies for their teams (I'll detail what you can do in another post) and start simming a couple weeks at a time in a separate thread. Injuries, scouting, and coaching will be turned off. As far as existing injuries go, anyone who is out for six weeks or less as of the roster set I have (which I believe is updated as of the real opening day) will be reset to healthy, anyone else will have their injury untouched. All injuries have been reset. Everyone is fine, nothing is ruined. Any player who is in the game is eligible to be drafted. This includes prospects! You think that ace in the making that your team is holding down for service time issues is ready? Draft him! Young slugger ready to take the league by storm? Warm up the sirens.

Who can play?

Everyone! Just be aware that this is a healthy time commitment. It's a whole lotta fun at the beginning when you're drafting all the stars but when you're drafting the seventh member of your bullpen it can get a little tedious if you weren't prepared. Please don't sign up if you're just going to bail after three rounds.

So with all that said, let's get to the official..

Rules

-Each team will be represented by a poster. Simply post your name and the team you want to sign up. First come first served.
-There will be a pick clock. Going over that clock means you get skipped and I hit the autodraft button in game for you as soon as I'm able.
-The Clock will vary by round, but will be paused from 12-10am est.
-Picks can be traded. You must receive the same amount of picks you give up (ie: if someone offers you their 2nd and 3rd picks for your 1st you have to give up another pick as well to even it out so they still have 25 players at the end).
-Don't be a dick! I would prefer people don't talk about undrafted players because ~strategy~ but I'm not going to do anything about it if you do.

If there's anything else that you think should be added please discuss it here. Whether that's ideas to make this sim longer than just one year, things to help the draft, or things that would make the draft more fun, I'm all ears! Nothing is set in stone until we start the draft. After that, any league settings will not be changed. Quality of life changes may still happen, though.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Draft Document

Teams

Baltimore Orioles - Fair Game
Boston Red Sox - Allan Trammel
New York Yankees - Screen Door Slams
Tampa Bay Rays - Monicro
Toronto Blue Jays - Paul Zuvella

Chicago White Sox - Harlock
Cleveland Indians -
Detroit Tigers - Sexual Lorax
Kansas City Royals - johnfw50
Minnesota Twins - IcePhoenix

Houston Astros - tatonkatonk
Los Angeles Angels - Gorman Thomas
Oakland Athletics - angrygodofjebus
Seattle Mariners - seiferguy
Texas Rangers - Zythrst

Atlanta Braves - The Flying Llama
Miami Marlins - Prozach
New York Mets - Laderhan
Philadelphia Phillies - The Merry Marauder
Washington Nationals - Zodiac 5000

Chicago Cubs - Tadashi
Cincinnati Reds - Politicalrancor
Milwaukee Brewers - Hurriness
Pittsburgh Prates - mentholmoose
St. Louis Cardinals - mynameisjohn

Arizona Diamondbacks - kensei
Colorado Rockies - Pander
Los Angeles Dodgers - CF Balla
San Diego Padres - Infidel Castro
San Francisco Giants - JosephStalinator

Alternates:
Cold Blooded
Professor Funk
Jubs

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 14, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Team Strategy

OOTP offers a lot of options for strategy. Here's some screenshots and additional options not shown

You can change these based on the score and the time of game. Time is sorted by: Innings 1-3, innings 4-6, innings 7-8, innings 9+

Individual players can also have settings that deviate from the team settings. If you want to steal a lot but have a Molina you can tell him to never run, for example. This also lets you mess with your pitchers and turn them into headcases.

You can set your rotation and bullpen here. The full list of roles is in the dropdown under secondary roles. Middle relief you can set to norma, low, or high usage, setup you can set to use no earlier than the 6th, 7th, or 8th innings, and closers you can set to come in no earlier than the 8th, the 8th with outs recorded (that's the 8+ I have set there), or the 9th.

You can set lineups for LHP and RHP, with or without DH

Finally, here's what you can do with your depth chart, for each lineup set separately, with your backups options on when to play listed in the dropdown to the right.

If you don't feel like doing some or any of these, don't worry! I can push a button and have the game automatically set any of these parts, individually. If you care about your LHP w/ DH depth chart and lineup but not your LHP no DH, I can push a button for only the LHP no DH. If you give no fucks about your lineup and depth chart, I can push a button to do all of them. Same with strategy, pitching, and everything else.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 9, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

First thing I want to do, also, is thus:

When you pick your team, please vote on if we should institute a league-wide DH or leave it AL only.

Removing the DH from the AL is not an option, gently caress you :colbert:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Monicro posted:

As one of SAS's like 3 Rays reps I'll take them, AL Only. Also what about international players for drafting, can I take Bryan Lahair this is important to me

e: nevermind I spelled his name wrong, yes you can.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 8, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

As of this post the following teams are unclaimed:

Detroit Tigers

Oakland Athletics
Texas Rangers

Miami Marlins

Pittsburgh Pirates

Arizona Diamondbacks
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants

And the vote count currently sits at 9 for a league wide DH and 9 for leaving it AL only, with four jerks abstaining.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

While we wait for the final few teams to fill out, feel free to suggest anything else that might be a fun twist to the league. I'm flexible on everything except the scouting and coaching being off, because having those on will mess up user strategies. I'll add in the possible things that you can tweak to the third post tomorrow.

Things to consider:

Bigger rosters: The game comes with pretty much every player in the minors built in. All the way down to that 26 year old that somehow still has a job in Rookie ball. This would be ideal if people want to sim more than one season or if you want injuries on.

Injuries: That being said, I'm not sure having them on is the best idea. It's fun for leagues but not so much for something like this that isn't intended to be one. But if the people want them, I'm open.

Extra Seasons: as mentioned above, I can do as many seasons as we want, to a reasonable limit. Randomly generated draft picks would start being relevant after a few seasons, and we can't have any of that in our fake simulation.

Different locations: Stadiums can be created, current ones can be edited, etc. If people want to move somewhere else (within reason), go hog wild.

???: Can you come up with something else fun? The power...is YOURS!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mynameisjohn posted:

Can you leave on preexisting injuries, but turn off new ones?

Read the OP thanks and god bless.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DoctaFun posted:

Edit: I think the simulation rules should be laid out well ahead of time though, because it makes a huge difference if you are going to sim for 1 year as opposed to 3 or 5 or something.

Also, how exactly does the simulation work? Does it sim game by game? It would be cool to sim like a week at a time and have it play out over a couple days/weeks. But that might be way too much of a time commitment for you IP. Especially since we might finally see the sun here in MN soon.

tadashi posted:

I like resetting injuries because Matt Harvey.

IcePhoenix posted:

:holy::slick::siren:How it works::siren::slick::holy:

Once everyone has their team, I'll run a random draft order in the game, and we will run a serpentine draft (I will set up a separate thread that will only be for picks) until each team has a full 25 man roster. After this, I'll let people set various strategies for their teams (I'll detail what you can do in another post) and start simming a couple weeks at a time in a separate thread. Injuries, scouting, and coaching will be turned off. As far as existing injuries go, anyone who is out for six weeks or less as of the roster set I have (which I believe is updated as of the real opening day) will be reset to healthy, anyone else will have their injury untouched. Any player who is in the game is eligible to be drafted. This includes prospects! You think that ace in the making that your team is holding down for service time issues is ready? Draft him! Young slugger ready to take the league by storm? Warm up the sirens.

If there's anything else that you think should be added please discuss it here. Whether that's ideas to make this sim longer than just one year, things to help the draft, or things that would make the draft more fun, I'm all ears! Nothing is set in stone until we start the draft. After that, any league settings will not be changed. Quality of life changes may still happen, though.

I edited this to help anyone else who may have questions find the most likely place it will be answered ty and god bless.

e: also - gently caress the sun, it hurts my eyes. 70+ and partly cloudy owns though and we're gonna have a few of those soon.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 8, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mentholmoose posted:

e: gently caress. All the teams are taken aren't they? Well I'll join a waiting list if somebody backs out I guess.

yeah, I just edited the teams post. I'll give everyone today to decide if any of the settings are worth changing and we can start tomorrow morning. I'm thinking a four hour pick clock for the first five rounds (keep in mind the period where the clock is frozen) and adjusting as needed, so please discuss that as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

When can you get the draft order posted?

I'll post the picks thread tonight after we make sure there are no other rule changes.

FairGame posted:

Just so I'm clear:

There's no salary/payroll considerations in this, right? Like, if pitcher A and pitcher B will have the exact same performance, and pitcher B happens to be a 10-year vet making $20mm/yr IRL, the two players are nevertheless of equivalent value in this draft?

I have finances turned off but if people want to make it a thing we can. It requires zero effort on my part since all the contract information (including extensions signed before April) is already in the game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zythrst posted:

I think it would be pretty important to decide how many seasons are getting simmed first before thinking about doing this.

Well then discuss it!

mynameisjohn posted:

I'd like finances off, the only way that there are consequences to big contracts is if there are budgets and if they use the engine's engrained budgets its unfair for some people.

One idea, however (if it's easy), is to set every team's budget to 110m (roughly league average).

yeah I would just set every team's budget to the same. I was thinking a little higher than 110 (125-ish) though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OK I'm going to say No Budgets, and it looks like keeping the funDH out of the NL won out.

Feel free to discuss length of sim or injuries. Currently we are drafting for a ONE YEAR sim and pre-existing injuries are on, but anything less than six weeks I am wiping clean. New injuries will be turned OFF.

If we turn injuries on or go longer than one year you may want to think about drafting more than 25 rounds so you have depth!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Because the NFL draft was holding everyone's attention tonight (I assume) I'm going to wait until tomorrow night to kick us off so more people can have input on sim length and injuries. The clock will start on Saturday morning. Meanwhile, I've edited in the manager settings you can mess with.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

For posterity

IcePhoenix posted:

Team Strategy

OOTP offers a lot of options for strategy. Here's some screenshots and additional options not shown

You can change these based on the score and the time of game. Time is sorted by: Innings 1-3, innings 4-6, innings 7-8, innings 9+

Individual players can also have settings that deviate from the team settings. If you want to steal a lot but have a Molina you can tell him to never run, for example. This also lets you mess with your pitchers and turn them into headcases.

You can set your rotation and bullpen here. The full list of roles is in the dropdown under secondary roles. Middle relief you can set to norma, low, or high usage, setup you can set to use no earlier than the 6th, 7th, or 8th innings, and closers you can set to come in no earlier than the 8th, the 8th with outs recorded (that's the 8+ I have set there), or the 9th.

You can set lineups for LHP and RHP, with or without DH

Finally, here's what you can do with your depth chart, for each lineup set separately, with your backups options on when to play listed in the dropdown to the right.

If you don't feel like doing some or any of these, don't worry! I can push a button and have the game automatically set any of these parts, individually. If you care about your LHP w/ DH depth chart and lineup but not your LHP no DH, I can push a button for only the LHP no DH. If you give no fucks about your lineup and depth chart, I can push a button to do all of them. Same with strategy, pitching, and everything else.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm thinking I'll start it at four hours. Keep in mind that there is a ten hour period every night where the clock is frozen.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't expect people to get very detailed with them, but it also doesn't take that much time to do them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Alright, nobody seems to have an opinion one way or another, so I'm going to do a one year sim.

Injuries will be off, but existing injuries will be left on. Any injuries that are 6 weeks or lesser will be reset to zero.

I'll post the draft order and picks thread during intermission of the Wild game.

e: actually since it's just one year I think I'll just reset all injuries unless there's enough people that disagree with that

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 10, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633044

Bonk

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mornacale posted:

Can we kibitz in the draft thread? (Not giving advice on upcoming picks, of course.)

from the first line of the picks thread:

IcePhoenix posted:

THIS THREAD IS FOR PICKS ONLY! PLEASE KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO THE MAIN THREAD

That links back to this thread. Don't be an mks5000.

I fixed the sheet so it should be available to anyone with the link now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FYI since tomorrow is mother's day I'm not going to be iron fist or anything about the pick clock since I'm sure a bunch of people won't be home.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

I haven't done anything like this before so I'm a bit confused. Is the goal to get everyone in order within 4 hours to make a pick? Or 1 person make a pick within a 4 hour period? Like what happens if the Pirates don't make a pick by 2 PM does it just move on to the next person for 4 hours?

The second one. A team has four hours to make their pick, but if they don't use all the time it won't carry over to the next team, their four hour clock srarts as soon as the previous pick is made. And since I'm home for the rest of the day the Pirates will be autodrafted if they miss their pick. Otherwise, a team is just skipped until I can autodraft them, and they are allowed to pick up until that point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Juxta posted:

I'm going to step down. Just been handed a bunch of work projects and think I won't have the time to maintain a team.

Sexual Lorax you're first alternate, just post confirming you're ready to take over the Tigers. After 24 hours it'll move to mentholmoose, and so on until we reach the end of the line (hopefully not an issue).

Also if anyone wants to trade up to 6 shoot me a PM.

e:

kensei posted:

Will there be a hey you're up list on like Twitter or something?

I don't know how to do this but if you want to set it up go for it.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 10, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

HAL9100 doesn't have PMs and I feel kinda bad for him about this but I guess them's the breaks when you run out of time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

still another hour or so

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Houston is up, maybe we'll get out of the top ten tonight!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Just a reminder that I'm not really going to enforce the timer tomorrow because it is mother's day and I expect many of us will be busy for a healthy portion of the day.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mornacale posted:

You can set OOTP GMs to ignore potential for short-term quality, right? If so, and if you really plan to sim only one season, doing that would give the "best" picks.

I don't think I can, no.

If the game tries to pick a prospect that obviously won't be ready to contribute I'll just make what I think is the closest to BPA I suppose. I had considered doing that on this one but getting autopicked SHOULD be a penalty, imo, and Stanton is still Real Good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mornacale posted:

Feel like Max Scherzer is the first big reach.

Also I would've first-picked Tulo, so good job on that IcePhoenix.

Thanks :) I was debating between him and a couple other guys (one of whom hasn't been drafted yet) but his defense at a premium position helped put him over.

also, just a reminder for THE RED MENACE (and everyone else, really) that the clock starts up again tomorrow at 10am eastern. Since it's a work day though that means that once you get skipped you don't get auto-drafted until after I get home!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Agreed. There's a couple more players I'm surprised haven't been drafted yet, but I also didn't expect this SP run so early. I was kind of hoping I would be able to get a couple aces with my second and third picks, but now I might not even get one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mynameisjohn posted:

Is Manny Machado's injury listed as less than 6 weeks in the game?

Yes but I just decided to reset all injuries since we're really just doing one year. I did forget to put that in the OP though so I will do that now.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Depending on who I get at first, Mssr. Buster may well end up playing somewhere every day.

I think you took Posey way too high if you're not going to play him at catcher.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh right, duh. The real Giants do that anyway, right?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

Did anyone else not have Mike Trout as #1?

Also: Chicago White Sox getting Chris Sale = :3:

Who did you have? You could make an argument for Miggy, I guess, but even in a one year sim Trout is the better player, I think.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

I dunno, Trout going 50/50 will be pretty boss too.

What's with the other tabs in the picks spreadsheet, IP? Why are there repeats of each position?

because a lot of dudes are gonna get drafted. When we're 15 rounds deep you'll appreciate not having to scroll down to see everyone that's off the board.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

no funDH in the NL

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lots of guys can play two or three OF positions and their in game position may be different than their real world listing, or where someone plans to play them.

There's a similar problem with utility infielders but that's not as big of a deal, I think.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah, Seattle ran out of time as of 2PM Eastern and the Yankees are 23 minute in to their clock.

I won't be home for a few hours so Seattle can still pick whenever they want to jump in until I get the chance to auto them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mynameisjohn posted:

is there any spreadsheet online that has the OOTP ratings and stuff. I've been looking this morning, because I only have 14 and I'm sure some positional stuff has changed (e.g. is Joe Mauer still a catcher in the game?)

He is not, I don't think he even has a rating at Catcher anymore. I don't know about the ratings spreadsheet, if anyone can provide me a place to put it I could see about uploading the league so people can look, though I'm not sure if it will be sortable.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

Sorry I was late on my pick. It's a little annoying when your pick comes up at work :sweatdrop:

Just so we're clear - Machado's injury this year won't affect him in game, right?

Understandable. And yes, all injuries have been wiped.

Infidel Castro posted:

I'm using OOTP 15 to track the draft. If you wanted, I could do the autodraft if it comes up in the morning, since I work mostly 2nd shifts.

I like giving people a bit of buffer if they run out of time for the reason above. Sometimes you just might hit a patch during the day where you aren't able to pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm not going to make a big deal about it if you do, but yeah, if you've got a guy who you think is a steal for whatever reason, it's really frustrating if people start talking about him and then he goes right before your pick.

Also, Molina is really good and I would have taken him ahead of Posey. He was the other guy I was sort of considering at six, but I decided there was a minor chance he would fall through whereas Tulo had zero of falling out of the top ten.

• Locked thread