Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's that lovely show where they contrive social situations with actors and hidden cameras, right? Yeah I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that every single moment of that exchange is fake as balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

Everyone involved including the "racist", except the actual customers, is fake, yes. The whole point is to see what the unaware people in that situation do. Most of the time, it's nothing, and those people sometimes get called out for it too. The ones who give a stupid explanation (and have time for an interview) end up on the show, but that's not exactly the point.

Yeah I was calling out the customers for being fake as well. Reality TV is notoriously manufactured.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This poo poo is exactly what I needed to see before joining a gym and starting a 5x5 program.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1stGear posted:

YOU ARE WEAK LEETLE MAN

I imagine all powerlifters have thick Russian accents.

I'm short as gently caress so becoming like a "real" strongman was never in the cards, so having giant monolithic men talk down to me doesn't phase me anymore. It's more like a "I know, please don't crush me."

Also British powerlifters must have the best accents, especially if they're posh.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I meant in the sense of like having one of the biggest upper limits for weight possible. My frame may be compact but it can only hold so much muscle, y'know? It's an ugly truth that when you're smaller, no matter how swole you are, you'll get wrecked by a bigger dude with a greater reach in the vast majority of cases no matter how well trained you are. We all love David vs. Goliath but the reality is that we love it because most of the time Goliath wins by a sizable margin.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's like y'all are wholly incapable of actually processing what I wrote. I know short guys have an advantage and I'm actually impressed to see how much that Ed Coan could lift, but that's not what I'm talking about-- I'm talking about the real upper limits of what's possible. Guys like Ed Coan may be great but they're also the exception due to the raw physics of taller-yet-still-reasonably-compact guys being able to put on more muscle fiber if both of them train equally well.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

syscall girl posted:

Oh. Sorry I misunderstood. I have a complex.

:golfclap:

Well played would whine again.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Oct 13, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nordick posted:

I'm Finnish myself and I usually make a point of not participating in the nationalistic circle-jerking over our tussle with the Soviets, but Häyhä was just... god drat.

To be perfectly honest the Finnish tussle with the Soviets is one of the few wars that deserves a circlejerk. Like Say Nothing said:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I love how this tech just quietly chugs along with minimal fanfare, improving lives. Every time I see pictures or video the limbs have become simultaneously sleeker and more complex. Nice to see fancy tech that isn't either consumer gadgetry or for killing people.

Research Deus Ex then realize that even in 2000 a lot of its ideas were pretty old hat. This poo poo frankly wouldn't exist if there weren't consumer and military applications for it, military especially.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don't trust reddit. Ever.

Reddit pomps itself up as a populist website but it's run by power users and/or corporate plants spouting bullshit stories and has been for years now. It's owned by Conde loving Nast for god's sake, it's not some basement labor of love like 4chan supposedly was or even an Elite start-up story like Facebook. It is and always has been a corporate for-profit enterprise masquerading as "content submitted and determined by the users."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

But what about when Reddit posts are disproving Reddit posts. :lost:

That's the rub of reddit. It's the best link aggregator website I personally know of, even if most of its communities and general corporate ethos are absolute dogshit. That said there are pockets of quality and sincerity by basic semantic definition alone-- if most of the content is manufactured and/or fake, then by definition the rest has to be sincere.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

haha this is basically the quintessential post of what goons think is badass

It's cliche as balls these days but the water still holds with both

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

It's a pity the Ice Age animals don't get more love.

Their movies are dogshit. Even Scratch is pretty drat "meh."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Thor is currently in 2nd place at the World's Strongest Man contest.

That is the most.abstract Spongebob cosplay I've ever seen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Chive manages to smell like a gym sock in a Buffalo Wild Wings through visuals alone, an impressive feat

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Marry me

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

Yet neither of them savages.

Savage

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah male ballet is really coming along

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah people tend to be just that. People. That said:

Birb Katter posted:

Lucas has also called Disney 'white slavers' though so not sure he's the most stable witness

Oh so George you don't like it when someone takes a dumb fictional universe you love and makes something you find terrible with it? Do tell us more :allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Living the dream.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rare Rhino Titty

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd be pissed if he didn't

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm going to go against the grain and say don't bother with Agents of SHIELD unless you're watching a highlight reel of Season 2 made up entirely of Kyle MacLachlan and Adrianne Palicki. Maybe Season 4 will shake out better and the Ghost Rider stuff is promising...but the batting average has been low so don't get your hopes high.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aw he's gonna die in his 30s-40s isn't he? :smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As the ancient greeks intended

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

All I know is that I was terrified for that dog

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That is a physique that has earned that tattoo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You really can't help but him in the junk, huh?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As an autistic, you make do with what you have and learn to be grateful. You learn to not give a gently caress about what other people define as 'good.' Drawbacks and limitations *can* really suck, but I'm confident y'all can relate to that. I doubt you're all good enough to be astronauts.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Now THIS is some serious art. None of that fondant poo poo that modern cake decoratos use.
Amen. I respect the ambition and skill, but if the cake isn't as delicious as the art then why are you even bothering?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fellblade posted:

You could sneeze on that guy and all that body fat would roll away in the same way. Sure they are strong as poo poo but that's a lovely way to 'prove' it.
Goon understands how massive amounts of body fat works; more at 11.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vaporwave is loving intense this year

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Snowy posted:

In 9th grade we were called to a schoolwide assembly in the big amphitheater for a movie about recycling and energy conservation or something like that. A really boring movie that felt like it was from the 50s started playing on a huge screen. Everyone was immediately bored out of their minds until the screen split in the middle and smoke machines, strobe lights and lasers started going off. The screen opened up to reveal a rock band who did a full set of songs about nuclear energy and conservation or something like that, it’s been a long time.

Kind of badass for an assembly and one of the weirder things that happened at school.
Jeez all I got was some motivational speaking rear end in a top hat come in to do a one-man suicide prevention monologue, because I was visibly suicidal and no one actually wanted to talk to me. I remember how self-satisfied my teachers looked watching me leave.

It made things worse.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

No they're not. Kids have no impact on anything. They'll grow up, file into the same lines we're in now, and vote the same way their parents did/didn't based on their own experience. Nothing will change because it's been made to not change.

I grew up thinking we could change the world, as I'm assuming you did. Guess what happened.
Well, circumstances were a bit different. If you're close to my age we grew up around the apex of the American Empire, then watched it start to decline with no idea of how to stop it, further muddied by the rapid changes in technology literally every few months. It doesn't excuse people our age, but it was different.

These kids grew up with a much more stable internet/communications infrastructure from birth alongside an America that has always been suffering for the sins of the last Century. They're in a prime position to both give a gently caress and give a gently caress in a meaningful way. Things likely won't change because of them, like you said our system has gotten really good at limiting the effectiveness of the lower classes thanks to the 60s, but the kids do ultimately have a better shot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Just pay off the dude who programs the Chick E Cheese band

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I dreamt of doing this as a kid.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's a South African dude who keeps the Tiger as a pet. Badass, but pretty stupid imo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Burnt fertilizer and rodents

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've seen that done to trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Better keep moving when the 'peckers are around...

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1136337927250894848

Obligatory trypophobia comment.

Obligatory Junji Ito reference.