Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hopeless nihilism is a defense mechanism: if you always expect the worst and are right, you get to be smug. If you're wrong you get a pleasant surprise. Either way you're absolved of responsibility to try to do anything about it, and if it shuts down discussion then more the better. It's a great way to escape the seething envy toward people able to feel positive emotion.

In any case, the world changes all the time. Sometimes it's for the better; sometimes it's not. Large blocks of motivated voters can in fact affect policy. Guess which generation is the biggest in American history.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I got to see a B2 do a flyby at an air show with my father, when I was younger. It was really foggy that day, and the demonstration was behind schedule. The announcer kept saying "I promise it's out there." Then it appeared, banked sharply so we could see the bat-like top view, and in a moment was gone. Then we heard the jet noise. It was honestly kind of spooky. If it were any other aircraft it would have been anticlimactic.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DandyLion posted:

loving great, now we gots stealth hawks to deal with....

Also known as "owls."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slugnoid posted:

A ship sank off the coast of Nigeria taking all hands with it to the bottom of the ocean. Recovery divers went down three days later looking for bodies and found the ships cook alot less dead than they were expecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPz8mxJNPh8

:aaaaa: That's loving amazing.

Kept giggling at the weird farting noises.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Azhais posted:

This is me trying to get a sock away from my cat

Your cat is enormous and terrifying and I want to pet it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

JoelJoel posted:

Grrr stop making posts not tailored to my preferences

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jerry Cotton posted:

Like... does he fight centaurs or something?

Fighting stance puts one foot forward and one to the rear. "Rear leg" gets around having to know whether an individual fights southpaw.

Though he may also be a centaur. That would be awesome.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's tragic, of course, but honestly if I've gotta die early, I'd rather it be in a blaze of glory than in some dumbshit car accident.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The weird, linear lense flares make it look like there's some serious AA fire going up.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Never considered just how bonkers Franz Liszt's La Campanella can be until I saw this.

:chanpop:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

When I first saw this my brain didn't get the scale right and I thought the fish was, like, salmon sized. Fuckin whales, man.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wasabi the J posted:

What's cool to me is that you can orient the two pics by aligning the star/planet and moon, and figure out roughly what the difference of latitude is.

General rule: anything bright enough that it and the moon are the only visible objects is in our solar system.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't know how anybody can champion that child loving serial abuser.

Seriously.

Huh, didn't know about his predilection for teenagers. Apparently he even went on TV with his "girlfriend" a couple times. :pwn:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bombadilillo posted:

Theres a reason some people dont qualify for a loan. The system is broken. Cheating them a loan does not fix the systemic probalems and just fucks the people who cant pay for the loan they couldnt get.

See THE HOUSING MARKET CRASH.

On the other hand if you can't get a car because you have no money and can't hold down a job because you don't have a car, you don't have a lot of other options. Or should that banker have donated that money to mass transit projects?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That must have been a neat surprise. And you can even make out the shock diamonds!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Memento posted:

Are you really geolocating it? I mean, really, geolocating it?

Yes? They still call it geology even if you're talking about Europa, so I don't see any reason to invent a new word to use in place of "geolocate."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Subjunctive posted:

Do they call it humour where you are?

I considered it might be a joke but it was lame and pedantic enough the opportunity to be right was more valuable than getting wooshed was embarrassing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ekuNNN posted:

26-year old Georgia politician Mariah Parker is sworn in on Malcolm X's autobiography.

Owns.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bows1 posted:

Technical skills doesn't mean you can write a good song.

Buckethead actually has some kick-rear end songs, like Soothsayer, it's just that he releases every bit of formulaic nonsense he thinks up. You trawl through his immense library and pick out the distinctive songs and the best type example from each formula, and you have a more normal output.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

.... You could fit a million earths in that photo.

The hole itself, sans accretion disc, is 6.5 billion times the mass of the sun.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That must have been absolutely infuriating. :ughh:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Ape of Naples posted:

I kinda wondered if it already resigned itself to its fate.

Or it figured out struggling makes the snake squeeze harder.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

If we're talking badass polyphonic singing there's also Heilung:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wy-W-pYlds

I saw Heilung live in Maryland. It kicked rear end.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Atticus_1354 posted:

Or just given them the food without making it something more than helping their fellow man in a time of need. But maybe I'm just jaded from the years of youtubers using homeless people as props in their quest for fame and not actually doing anything to support the underlying issues.

So I take it you're a shift manager at whole foods?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cakesmith handyman posted:

Read the comments and have a healthy chuckle at the idiot hulking out about NASA deceiving everyone because this isn't a real video it's a collection of still images.

What gets me is the multiple people literally citing Kepler's law, calling fake (or implying it) because the outer moon shouldn't be able to overtake the inner moon. How the gently caress can you understand Kepler's Laws but not figure out that the camera is moving?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

spookykid posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Benavidez#6_Hours_in_Hell

Dude, armed with a knife and a medic bag, manages to save a heavily wounded fireteam, holds off the attacking force, gets wounded so badly they think he's dead and only gets the MOH because 12 years later the only other surviving member of the whole shitshow reads an account of the stuff in a Fiji newspaper and goes "hey wait a minute".

They thought the dude was dead and as they were bagging him up in the transport chopper he spit blood in the medic's face.

And when he says "wounded" it's not just that he got blasted as he was about to evac. He got shot then refused treatment so he could go save more guys.

Also:

quote:

At one point in the battle an NVA soldier accosted him and stabbed him with his bayonet. Benavidez pulled it out, yanked out his own knife, killed him and kept going

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Biplane posted:

Is this the bootlicker thread now?

Post the content you want to see.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Apocalypse Meow is a manga published in the US by Dark Horse. It's of course set in the Vietnam war, where the Americans are rabbits and the Vietnamese are cats. The Vietnamese language goes like "meow meow, mao meow."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EoinCannon posted:

So the muscle was visible on the model because Michelangelo posed him int hat way when he was doing sketches and studies.
That it is represented in the final sculpture just indicates that Michelangelo faithfully represented was he saw on the model.
I think most of the other aspects of Michelangelo's incredible work are more impressive than that

On the one hand, yeah. On the other, I extremely doubt the model was as ripped as Moses.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lady Disdain posted:

I tried to parse the second tweet as English, and thought I was having a stroke.

Same. I literally said "oh it's not english" out loud to my phone.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OwlFancier posted:

It's more like it's constantly throwing photographs at your eyes and it takes them 16k years to get there.

That's the point: the finite speed of light means that for any given perspective, distance is time. I got C's in my physics classes but my understanding is that is one of the foundational elements of relativity. Even gravity has a finite speed limit that causes intuitive understanding of physics to go haywire when scales get big. Reckoning with my eyeballs in effect achieving time travel pulls back some of the veil and, for me at least, has this vertiginous feel to it that, if I try to articulate it, results in marginally more well-read Jayden Smith tweets. Mirrors, eyes, etc.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cythereal posted:

https://i.imgur.com/HFZPfX8.mp4

Turns out that plasma wind tunnels are a thing. This one was built by the European Space Agency to replicate the forces of atmospheric reentry, and one of the main things they use it for is "Does this thing explode or otherwise come apart in a way we need to be concerned about if it comes down over a populated area?"

:piss:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't think I understand this well enough to describe a situation like that. I'm just trying to understand it conceptually at all. But I'll try.

If I have two ball bearings heading toward each other, one from from the left at 20mph and one from the right at 20mph, the energy of produced by their collision is equivalent to if one were standing still and the other was going 40mph, right? So the simple v1+v2 scenario. But at what point does that stop being true?

Assume they're going 100mph each, or 10,000,000mph each, why do I need to bring c into the equation? How fast do they need to be going relative to each other for that original 20 + 20mph to not work? That's what I mean by arbitrary, is there a specific point where that kind of simple equation doesn't work and we need to bring c into the equation?

The bolded part isn't true even in traditional Newtonian physics. Kinetic energy is 1/2mv2. The sum of the energy of two balls at 20 is much less than one ball at 40.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Robobot posted:

Napoleon was a bad guy: he was French...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

madeintaipei posted:

Fear? Curiosity? The knowledge that you could (allegedly) beat the gently caress out of him and no one would stop you?

A whole bunch of people video recorded his antics. The one that sticks out is him dog-cussing and then smacking this woman who was interviewing him, whereupon a couple guys pop up and beat him to the ground, then everything continues as normal. Less, "Yeah, I should have done that.", more, "That's exactly what I expected to happen."

The guy died naked and covered in poo poo on someone else's doorstep. Nothing about him was normal, and the weird can overshadow the predatory if you don't get the full picture, which most people don't get because they file him away as the weird poo guy and stop paying attention.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That original post was really informative as far as what happens in an emergency stop. Unfortunately it was written by (IIRC) a TFR member, so of course it ends by blaming the entire hypothetical train derailment on an illegal immigrant for no reason whatsoever.

That's more a him thing than a TFR thing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jakabite posted:

So what’s the deal here?

Currents move beneath the ice, causing tension within the ice sheet that, as it thaws, it can't hold up against. So it buckles and shatters.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'd seduce the hippo

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lady Disdain posted:

I always thought parachutes deployed automatically in case of situations like this, but google says that they don't :ohdear:

Military chutes--aside from certain spec ops poo poo--have their ripcord attached to the plane so it auto deploys. Everyone else has to pull the cord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There were also wacky as gently caress designs in the middle third or so of the 19th century when people were trying to figure out repeaters. There were pistols with multi stage triggers that essentially operated a bolt action, rifles that took proprietary caseless ammo with solid propellant, and some guns that could malfunction in a way that would fire bullets out the wrong end of the gun.