Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Sled dog.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

He put the poo poo knife in his belt and disappeared into the night.

And then came to the settlement later anyhow to tell us this story about how much he was against going to the settlement.

The authorities tried to do a toolmark analysis on the remaining bones of the dog, but things just didn't smell right, so they did DNA analysis on the poo poo and saliva scrapings.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

But not usually a revolver.

Air Force pilots in Viet Nam did, usually a Smith and Wesson Model 15.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

From the Cosplay thread:

Erebus posted:

Look at this loser can't even get his costume right he's probably not even a real fan

(Congressman John Lewis at Comic-Con, cosplaying as himself from 50 years ago during the Selma to Montgomery marches)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

bimmian posted:

Where is that? What is it, a spillway?

Yes.
http://www.pusnejc.com/blog/2015/09/conquer-the-dam/

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Bro, do you even lift?"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thats a big loving horse. Or proportionally small people. One of the two.

The former. He was 19 hands high , a/k/a 6'4" at the (top of the) shoulder.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

tardwrangler posted:

Rocket bike race

Particularly badass because they're running fixed wheels.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Via History in Pictures:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

The last, potential ever, Crow warchief.

How do you figure that?

For more horse-mounted modern badassery:

quote:

With his position plotting complete, Nelson began calling in air strikes. As the bombs began to fall, Dostum shouted into his radio, “Charge!” The first horse cavalry charge of the 21st century had begun.

To reach the enemy, Dostum’s troops, about 1,500 cavalry and 1,500 infantry, would have to travel a mile over an open plain cut by seven ridges, each between 50 and 100 feet high and spaced about 600 feet apart. The momentum of their attack would be slowed during the crossing of those ridges and, worse, make them sitting ducks each time they reached the top of a ridge. To anyone familiar with military history, the Battle of Bishqab had the potential of being the Charge of the Light Brigade, Fredericksburg, and Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg all rolled into one.

The difference here, of course, was American air power. But would it be enough?

When the first wave of horsemen had covered about a half-mile, the surviving Taliban heavy weapons opened up. Men and horses began falling to the ground, dead or screaming in pain from their wounds. But whether it was the fact that the horsemen were moving too fast, that the Taliban troops had not ranged their weapons, or some other reason, the defensive fire was not as concentrated or as accurate as it should have been.

When the surviving horsemen reached the second ridge, they halted, leaped off their horses, and laid down cover fire for the second wave of cavalry. That second line crashed into the Taliban trenches. Suddenly Taliban soldiers were throwing away their weapons and running away. The battle continued to rage as darkness fell. When the aircraft above had to leave to refuel, Dostum’s troops were forced to abandon the battlefield when armored Taliban reinforcements arrived.

The attack on Bishqab was followed by a larger engagement at Cobaki the next day. Once again, air strikes knocked out enemy armor and artillery and were followed up by horse cavalry charge. At one crucial moment when it looked like the tide would turn against Dostum’s cavalry, Nelson and a number of other members of ODA 595 found themselves riding into action to help retake the initiative. The strategic initiative had now shifted.
http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/operation-enduring-freedom-the-first-49-days-4/

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

This is a painting called The Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks.
(Or maybe, The Group 'W' Bench)

Why is it badass?
The Cossacks were formulating their response to this letter from the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire:

quote:

As the Sultan; son of Muhammad; brother of the sun and moon; grandson and viceroy of God; ruler of the kingdoms of Macedonia, Babylon, Jerusalem, Upper and Lower Egypt; emperor of emperors; sovereign of sovereigns; extraordinary knight, never defeated; steadfast guardian of the tomb of Jesus Christ; trustee chosen by God Himself; the hope and comfort of Muslims; confounder and great defender of Christians - I command you, the Zaporogian Cossacks, to submit to me voluntarily and without any resistance, and to desist from troubling me with your attacks.
This was their response that they were working so diligently on:

quote:

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are you, that can't slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil excretes, and your army eats. You will not, you son of a bitch, make subjects of Christian sons; we've no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, gently caress your mother.
You Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw your own mother!
So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!
(It rhymed in the original)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Why is he driving a muscle car? Isn't Ghost Rider's whole shtick centered around motorcycles?

Different Ghost Rider

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nemico posted:

Is that the reference image they used for the back panther?

Dunno what a back panther is unless it's a tattoo, but that's a mud lion.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Khan was a tiger. You're thinking of Bagera(sp?).

Bagheera was a panther. There are no lions in the Jungle Book to think of, unfortunately.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Samovar posted:

Does it effect the development of the chicken? I mean are there any physical abnormalities from this type of gestation?

No. (I think that's part of what the stretching of the plastic helps to prevent)
(But it's a little more involved than the schoolkid video makes it look)

Here's the study.

Still cool.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Starforts.com for all your starfort needs.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

HairyManling posted:

Where's the driver?

Getting ready to walk away from the wreck and not miss any races on the schedule despite fractured T-4 and 5 vertebrae in his (upper) back as well as a left knee bone contusion.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Actually, is lifting the puck like that a legal move in hockey? Crazy idea for a feel good sports movie about a lacrosse player in the NHL.

So long as he's not using his hand to put the puck on the stick, he's good to go.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

my high school physics teacher admitted to us on the first day that she wasnt very good at physics. i guess what is badass is that i never ended up becoming a meth dealer despite attending my crappy high school.

Well, she probably didn't do anything that might be considered unsafe. So, badass?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The pedestrians walking past also seem to be in different positions, it might just have been an alternate take

Definitely different takes. Compare where the break away from the cab happens in each shot.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epitoky
Other worms convert their entire body into a sexual organ.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Can anyone recommend any good space TV series? I've seen both Cosmos already

Not a series, but the first 30 seconds of Apollo 11's launch taken with a high speed camera stretched out to 8+ minutes, with commentary/explanations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPW7ZqtW5U4

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Was expecting https://youtu.be/941z56i7QJE?t=70s instead.

joat mon has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Jun 4, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

A badass picture ... in the badass picture thread

Don't forget Rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, rear end-kickers, poo poo-kickers and Methodists.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Confusingly enough it's referred to as a "badger" of wolverines.

Dang. I was going to say it was a "honey badger" of wolverines.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

ESA is the only 'exceptable' excuse for this.

If I had an emotional support animal that could type, I wouldn't complain.
Getting a GSA for my ESA would be pretty cool, though.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Spins posted:

Are spiders to insects as we are to apes and monkeys?

Damnnnn

In terms of how closely related they are, it's spiders:insects::primates:sea squirts

In terms of how 'evolved' they are, it's more like spiders:insects::Ford:Chevrolet

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Beastie posted:

This isn’t Bocce Ball?
No. Bocce uses a spherical ball. Good luck curving a bocce ball like that

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Of course we would get pedantique about it.

Watch somebody try to backspin and say there's a difference.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, that version is just embarrassing. The original version of Wolf Totem is just fine the way it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

... Well, except for the hot water they got in for including some (read: one) hidden nazi iconography. Turns out if you call up a bunch of biker gangs to be in a music video, that becomes a distinct possibility.

On the neck of the horse fiddle? Not hidden at all, but the Mongols were using that symbol long before the nazis.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Cocaine Bear posted:

Have you guys heard of the Haka? What do you think about it?

The TV one is better. The Will Farrell one, like the rest of the movie and cast, is an abomination.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

When this baby hits 88 miles per hour...you're gonna see some serious poo poo!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Cocaine Bear posted:

Neat. Also: why?

You're in the badass thread and you're asking why?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The Helpful Eight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009