Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to take a moment to remember Andrea De Cesaris; a man with 208 GP starts and no wins (he definitely deserved one), and out of those 208 starts he only finished 65. Probably the only man in F1 history to score a podium (3rd Place) without finishing a race all year (in 1987), also he could do wonders in a mediocre car. He died of a crash on Sunday.

He spent most of the 80s doing this;

But he was undoubtedly fast. RIP Andrea.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

nm posted:

The bmw museum is also AI as gently caress

It was the corporate HQ in Rollerball!

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjAs4llQiWI

Mazda 3 Sedan race car. Boring right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

So is that RWD now too? If there was a RWD Mazda 3 I would have one in the driveway.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That tube-chassis racecar is (and also rotary-powered, apparently,) but the factory 3 is and will probably remain FWD forever. Maaaaybe an AWD Mazdaspeed if they go full retard this time around.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

animeliker posted:

I would like to take a moment to remember Andrea De Cesaris; a man with 208 GP starts and no wins (he definitely deserved one), and out of those 208 starts he only finished 65. Probably the only man in F1 history to score a podium (3rd Place) without finishing a race all year (in 1987), also he could do wonders in a mediocre car. He died of a crash on Sunday.

He spent most of the 80s doing this;

But he was undoubtedly fast. RIP Andrea.
Sunday was a bad day for F1 pilots :(

Also, that Mazda3 sounds amazing. And basically what BlackMK4 said, RWD Mazda3 with a stick and maybe a lil bump in power? I'd have one. I've always liked the Mazdaspeed3.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BlackMK4 posted:

So is that RWD now too? If there was a RWD Mazda 3 I would have one in the driveway.

The description in the video claim RWD. I want to be wrong for all the right reasons with that thing :allears:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Fucknag posted:

That tube-chassis racecar is (and also rotary-powered, apparently,) but the factory 3 is and will probably remain FWD forever. Maaaaybe an AWD Mazdaspeed if they go full retard this time around.

Mazda has an AWD version of the Axela/3 they build for Japan. It looks pretty pedestrian though (auto only, no fun motors).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Came across this while browsing through old boring British TV shows on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ukxnGaeLg&t=114s

I had no clue active suspension existed that far back. It's pretty amazing watching that old thing going around a corner 100% flat. In 1983? Wasn't it like 1993 before anyone ever tried that on an F1 car? And like 2012 before anyone ever did it on a production car?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I had no clue active suspension existed that far back. It's pretty amazing watching that old thing going around a corner 100% flat. In 1983? Wasn't it like 1993 before anyone ever tried that on an F1 car? And like 2012 before anyone ever did it on a production car?
Computing power, essentially. While the hydraulics and other mechanical parts were ready to go, the pure computing power for doing that work, especially on viable road conditions that you get in the real world, means you need a heap of processing power to handle that information.

Just look at the changes to engine cylinder deactivation from when GM tried it in the late 70s/early 80s compared to now. Nearly every car company does it these days, thanks to faster CPUs and better sensor technology

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Bose did it to a first gen LS400, watch the video till the end if you've never seen it before!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSi6J-QK1lw

I wish my car could do that =(

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Some F1 cars in the 80s had active suspensions. Williams and Lotus both tried them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FuzzKill posted:

Bose did it to a first gen LS400, watch the video till the end if you've never seen it before!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSi6J-QK1lw

I wish my car could do that =(

That the first bose product that doesn't suck. I guess thats why they never sold it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

nm posted:

That the first bose product that doesn't suck. I guess thats why they never sold it.

Just like their audio products, no highs, no lows, must be Bose Suspension.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

From what I could find, the system had (as of 2011) problems with weight, a high power draw, and heat dissipation that keep it from being viable for mass production. Plus, when you consider the fact that current active suspension systems are something like a $3000 option, I really don't want to know what a Bose suspension system would cost.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

azflyboy posted:

From what I could find, the system had (as of 2011) problems with weight, a high power draw, and heat dissipation that keep it from being viable for mass production. Plus, when you consider the fact that current active suspension systems are something like a $3000 option, I really don't want to know what a Bose suspension system would cost.

This is one application where no highs and no lows might actually have been a good thing. :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Found out my Grandfather passed away yesterday evening. I've posted his cars before (old thread) but they deserve a repost. He was pretty AI, these were all year round daily drivers in Minneapolis.

1957 Austin Healey 100

1959 Austin Healey

1964 Porsche 356 C

Morris Minor 1000

Ghia 450 - Only 17 in the US and 42 made total

Ferrari GT 250

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 8, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sorry to hear about your grandfather man.

Query though, did he really go from a Porsche 356C to a Morris Minor??????????? That's..... absurd. :3:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Not sure on the order of the cars and there were more that I don't have pictures of. There's currently a MG TC in the garage we're trying to figure out what to do with and his old BMW 524TD my brother is driving.

I was told that he bought the Ferrari while on the road for work when whatever he was driving at the time broke down and left his stranded on the side of the road for hours. Grandma was furious because she loved the previous car.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 8, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That loving Bose jump had me giggling like an idiot

stump
Jan 19, 2006

:france:

In 1994, the Activa technology was introduced, which is an extension to the Hydractive II suspension, where two additional spheres and two hydraulic cylinders are used together with computer control to eliminate body roll completely. This technology is more broadly known as active suspension, and the Xantia Activa has exceptional road holding comparable to true sports cars. In the Swedish magazine Teknikens Värld's moose test the 1999 model of Xantia V6 Activa still holds the record speed through the manoeuvre - faster than the Porsche 996 GT2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZrGpz2KiPs&t=114s

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wouldn't eliminating body roll be counter-productive on a car without slicks? Like, if the weight can't gradually transfer onto the most stressed tyres, wouldn't they just start sledging really easily? Like how it's really easy to lock up the brakes if you just slam them on instead of applying progressively.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

stump posted:

:france:

In 1994, the Activa technology was introduced, which is an extension to the Hydractive II suspension, where two additional spheres and two hydraulic cylinders are used together with computer control to eliminate body roll completely. This technology is more broadly known as active suspension, and the Xantia Activa has exceptional road holding comparable to true sports cars. In the Swedish magazine Teknikens Värld's moose test the 1999 model of Xantia V6 Activa still holds the record speed through the manoeuvre - faster than the Porsche 996 GT2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZrGpz2KiPs&t=114s

Toyota did it on the Soarer first.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Chariot Races..NSW 1936

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That is awesome^

NitroSpazzz posted:

Found out my Grandfather passed away yesterday evening. I've posted his cars before (old thread) but they deserve a repost. He was pretty AI, these were all year round daily drivers in Minneapolis.

Sorry about losing your grandpa. :( I still think of mine, maybe not daily anymore but probably weekly. And its been 19 years now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

angryhampster posted:

Chariot Races..NSW 1936

Why the actual gently caress isn't this an Olympic sport?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Why the actual gently caress isn't this an Olympic sport?

Because taking drugs doesn't make you better at it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

1957 Austin Healey 100

1959 Austin Healey

1964 Porsche 356 C

Morris Minor 1000

Ghia 450 - Only 17 in the US and 42 made total

Ferrari GT 250

Sorry to hear about your grandpa. :( He was pretty AI indeed. Don't think I've ever seen one of those Ghias before.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Slavvy posted:

Wouldn't eliminating body roll be counter-productive on a car without slicks? Like, if the weight can't gradually transfer onto the most stressed tyres, wouldn't they just start sledging really easily? Like how it's really easy to lock up the brakes if you just slam them on instead of applying progressively.

Are you just picturing really hard springs instead of an active system? The active system is keeping the weight over all four tires, maybe even leaning into the corner on entry, so all four tires share the load more evenly. Plus think about times when you get the weight transfer wrong, say coming into a fast chicane, or just because a bumpy track pitches the car the wrong way coming into a turn. So even if maximum sideways force were diminished, there could be other ways to make up time on certain circuits.

Not to mention the trump card of active systems- keeping your driver comfortable so they're fresher for longer. It's so... anti-racing.

xzzy posted:

Because taking drugs doesn't make you better at it.

Asterisk, smoking "performance enhancing" weed just before a motorcycle chariot race would be incredible.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

angryhampster posted:

Chariot Races..NSW 1936

This is the best thing since motor polo which should also be an Olympic sport.

Can't find a picture of it because "car polo" just brings up VW :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

freelop posted:

This is the best thing since motor polo which should also be an Olympic sport.

Can't find a picture of it because "car polo" just brings up VW :(

Man, people back in the day had so many awesome ways to die.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks safe to me.. they have rollbars! Don't even need seatbelts at that point.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

angryhampster posted:

Chariot Races..NSW 1936

Do they have Max Rockatansky in his Falcon as a racing lure?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
poo poo I Never Expected To See

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Never even heard of those before, had to look it up.

drat, that is a frightfully ugly vehicle.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remember reading C&D back in the 90s and they were always ragging on Moslers for being pig ugly and squashing everyone else at One Lap of America. The Raptor was even worse, as it ditched the Consulier's windshield for a split-window made of two flat planes, looked like it fell off of Captain Nemo's submarine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

revdrkevind posted:

Are you just picturing really hard springs instead of an active system? The active system is keeping the weight over all four tires, maybe even leaning into the corner on entry, so all four tires share the load more evenly. Plus think about times when you get the weight transfer wrong, say coming into a fast chicane, or just because a bumpy track pitches the car the wrong way coming into a turn. So even if maximum sideways force were diminished, there could be other ways to make up time on certain circuits.

Not to mention the trump card of active systems- keeping your driver comfortable so they're fresher for longer. It's so... anti-racing.

Asterisk, smoking "performance enhancing" weed just before a motorcycle chariot race would be incredible.

Weight transfer happens regardless of the body roll since it's caused by the cornering force. Firming up the outside of the car to the point of eliminating roll is making most cars faster because the tire is staying flatter on the ground and since it is "active" still allows the suspension to conform over bumps and irregularities.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Phy posted:

I remember reading C&D back in the 90s and they were always ragging on Moslers for being pig ugly and squashing everyone else at One Lap of America. The Raptor was even worse, as it ditched the Consulier's windshield for a split-window made of two flat planes, looked like it fell off of Captain Nemo's submarine.

A true beauty

Looks like they ran out of car parts and went next door to the hangar

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you told me that was a creation of a drunk Russian farmer, attempting to recreate a Le Mans prototype in a shed, I'd believe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The funny part is it was actually really good in races and they eventually banned it.