Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nazi bad asses have historically not been the kindest to France so I can understand the protest but I'm pretty sure they're all dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I don’t have homework.

Seriously, adulthood is loving liberating. I spend about as much time at work as I spent in school but I can do anything I want when I leave. I’ve been learning electronics, exercising, making a movie...

sorry but you are wrong. being an adult sucks and is the absolute worst

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I did not. I had plans for kids, but that went pretty south a few months ago.

You are extremely fortunate.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Benjamin Ferencz: I don't think I'm an idealist. I'm a realist. And I see the progress. The progress has been remarkable. Look at the emancipation of woman in my lifetime. You're sitting here as a female. Look what's happened to the same-sex marriages. To tell somebody a man can become a woman, a woman can become a man, and a man can marry a man, they would have said, "You're crazy." But it's a reality today. So the world is changing. And you shouldn't-- you know-- be despairing because it's never happened before. Nothing new ever happened before.

”... I'm still in there fighting. And you know what keeps me going? I know I'm right.”

This is cool and good, thank you.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

skaterBAE

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

obviously fake, in reality there was no gravity on the hollywood set kubrich used

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Azhais posted:

You want Mike Pences? Cause that's how you get Mike Pences.

easily solved by executing all politicians, by guillotine.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

On the other hand if you can't get a car because you have no money and can't hold down a job because you don't have a car, you don't have a lot of other options. Or should that banker have donated that money to mass transit projects?

I agree, kill all bankers.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have a phd in applied oreology

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

Let's be honest, he didn't catch that kid so much as he broke it's fall. And it didn't look like he fainted so much as he got knocked the gently caress out.

... Which kind of makes it more impressive. Keep on being a good dude, baby cushioning guy.

yeah that baby clocked that guy but good. Like he gets a baby heel (one of the hardest materials known to man) directly to the noggin, at loving terminal velocity. it's a miracle the man survived

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

eating only apples posted:

Not even a baby, but a toddler. Ever been headbutted by a toddler? I have, and I live in fear of getting my teeth knocked out by a kid's skull when they just think they're playing. Guy got hella lucky.

no poo poo dude, I have a 5 year old now but i wear my scars with pride. i did my time in the trenches. Oh this? yeah i got that tryin to pull my girlfriend out of the line of fire. our 18-month old was firin on all cylinders its a wonder that machine didnt kill us outright

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Inceltown posted:

Why not just have it open from both ends to stop the need to rotate it?

Glad to see someone else who fucks around here

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:orb:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Is this the bootlicker thread now?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

See also: protest medics. Here's a photo from a few weeks back of some protest medics plugging up a bullet hole in a protester with the shooter standing less than a foot away, still holding the gun and looking for a new target.

Are you actually comparing protest medics, an objectively good and badass thing, with active duty american military personnel, an objectively horrible and bad thing? What the gently caress, there's an entire subforum for sucking military dick, and it should be contained to that cesspit.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The only majestic eagle is the phillipine eagle :colbert:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I don't know who that is but they're certainly not majestic. They don't even have wings for fucks sake

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lady Disdain posted:

And yet he flew without them. If that's not majestic, I dunno what the gently caress is.

It's cheating

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Also the you that wakes up when you do sleep is arguably not continuous with the one that had trouble sleeping so that's someone else's problem.

What?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pookah posted:

Realistically there is no continueity of experience between the you that falls asleep, and the you that wakes up, so in an absolutely pure sense, you cannot declare the one to be the other. However, from an entirely ordinary experience, the chances are 100% that the one is absolutely the other, and pretending that the alternative is the standard default position is both childish and stupid.

Oh, yes I see. Thank you for explaining :)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

thepopmonster posted:

Small problem: you are ~2000 light years away. This means, roughly speaking, you need to maintain an average real-space speed of >12,000 ly/day to keep up.

I thought you needed a hypermassive object and an FTL spaceship but apparently you only need a sufficienly fast FTL spaceship to go back in time? https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/can-you-really-go-back-in-time-by-breaking-the-speed-of-light/ or https://arxiv.org/pdf/1505.07489.pdf if you need the detail.

We're practically halfway there already!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If causality can't stand up to even slight stress then I don't want anything to do with it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

By popular demand posted:

How much could that save in man hours?

4-7.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

If I found a fossilized wheel made of teeth I would not automatically assume there was originally a shark attached to the end of it.

That's on you, pal.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

He has the wrobg katana, which uses an illegal form of speed. He's really bad

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

No leg left behind.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My rear end secretions are 90% liquid methane.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Well, you can't spell "cassowary" without "rear end war", so...

Arr, we've spotted an rear end o' war on the horizon skipper

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Glass is very different from crystal. That's the distinguishing thing about glass, it's a non-crystalline solid. It's essentially all irregularity, with no long-range order at all. Glass doesn't have any natural planes of separation, it fractures conchoidally, and obsidian blades aren't clean perfect edges. They're knapped.

Knap you pal :mad:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

-Zydeco- posted:

A precise application of brute force

Robots only behave like this under extreme stress :(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Imagine four balls…

Are the balls full of piss, or are they empty?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lol drat its actually a pigeon. 100% thought it was dark souls fan art or something

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

:krad:

To maintain a circular trajectory, an object must have an acceleration towards the center of the circle equal to its speed squared divided by the circle's radius (v2/R). If there's too much acceleration, then the car will fall towards the center of the circle (bad news). Let's consider the most dangerous point, the very top of the loop, where gravity points straight towards the center of the circle. There are two sources of acceleration: gravity and the contact force between the car and the track. The contact force can't pull upwards, though, so at the critical threshold where the car barely makes the loop, it will be zero and gravity will be doing all the work. So we can solve the equation g = v2/R, where g is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth's surface (9.8 m/s2 or 32 ft/s2) to find the critical speed v where the car barely is going fast enough to make the loop.

Rearranging that equation, we get v = sqrt(g*R).

Estimating based on the video that the loop is about 3 and a half car lengths in diameter, and using a value I googled of 4.5m for the length of a car, we get v = sqrt(9.8 m/s2 * 4.5m * 3.5/2) = 8.8 m/s or 19.7 miles per hour.

This doesn't sound like much, and it isn't! In practice, they probably want to be going a fair bit faster for a healthy safety margin. However, they've also got the problem that as they rise through the loop, they lose speed, or in other words, some of their kinetic energy is converted into gravitational potential energy. Assuming that they don't either lose speed to friction or gain speed from their engine during the loop (a bad assumption but the two effects will at least partially cancel out), we can use conservation of energy to figure out how fast they should be going at the bottom of the loop.

KEbefore + PEbefore = KEafter + PEafter

1/2 m v[sub[before[/sub]2 + m g (0) = 1/2 m v[sub[after[/sub]2 + m g h

(We can divide through to cancel the masses; the initial height is zero, the final height will be 3.5 car lengths; the speed after will be our 8.8 m/s.)

1/2 vbefore2 = 1/2 (8.8 m/s)2 + (9.8 m/s2)*(3.5*4.5m)

vbefore = sqrt[(8.8 m/s)2 + 2*(9.8 m/s2)*(3.5*4.5m)]

which comes out to 19.7 m/s or 44.0 miles per hour.

This is all heavily estimated, of course - this is more of an example than a serious analysis of the video. You could get way more accurate measurements if you opened it up in image-editing software and measured pixels and stuff. I did my best to do a quick-and-dirty measure of their speed in the video and I'd say it looks like they were going about 45-55mph at the bottom, which seems like not a lot of margin for error, so probably the circle was a bit smaller than I was estimating, or maybe they get enough of a boost by gunning the engine through the loop itself. Either way, as you can see from these example numbers, it's surprisingly doable. The hardest part is probably getting their insurance company to sign off on this stunt, as if anything goes wrong, you could have someone in a car falling fifty feet, landing with much more force than a car's roll cage is normally meant to handle. So that's probably one good reason why you don't see this stunt done more often - it's surprisingly easy to do, but dangerous as hell.

Ban this sick filth

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Would have been cool and badass if the cops died. Maybe the pilot too, I don't know anything about him but he's old, white, and wealthy enough to own a plane so probably he is at least as racist and stupid as the cops.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

No train on earth is able to move my load, it is too powerful.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Proclick

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I would calmly debate the hippo into submission.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Terminus Est

glad to see someone else who fucks around here :hai:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lumpia is stored in the balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005