Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

GWBBQ posted:

The orange paint on the fuel tanks is formulated to attract free hydrogen in the atmosphere and to hold it there burning in a controlled manner rather than risk forming bubbles or pockets of hydrogen in the atmosphere that could explode.

The rocket is supposed to be on fire. It's a safety feature.

I mean, I guess it makes sense (aside from your explanation) considering they can't seem to not set them on fire anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
"Sled Driver" may be impossible to get but "Skunk Works" is a great read if you're into the SR-71 (even if it's primary subject is the development of the stealth fighter). It has a bunch of great A-12/SR-71 pilot stories throughout as well, along with pretty much everything you could want to know about the Skunk Works operations. It was written by Ben Rich, who took over from Kelly Johnson.

As for badass, though, I highly recommend reading "Red Eagles", about the pilots who flew our secret stash of Soviet MiGs without any real previous experience (or manuals, or spare parts, or anything). These guys were pretty much insane to climb into those planes, and they did it for years.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

It can't be out of print forever motherfucker.

E:...and apparently it's available for $250 from Brian Shul. Looks like I have some shopping to do.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Mar 5, 2015

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Choco1980 posted:

When that started making the rounds a few days back on social media, I thought it was fake because of the speed of some of those flips. Still looks almost like ragdoll to me.

That plus she's so stable throughout the whole thing. Usually people are kinda wobbly when they're in those things but she's so rock-solid throughout that I thought it was good CGI or something at first as well.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

shadow puppet of a posted:

It blows my mind that they were able to figure all that stuff out starting back in 1958 with that era's level of computerization.

The Skunk Works guys were no joke. I've mentioned it before but I recommend reading Ben Rich's memoir of his time there (if you haven't already), it's a great look at what it was like to work there as well as the development process of several planes (primarily the F-117A but there's also a bunch of stuff about the SR-71 and the U-2).

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
It's not even out of print, you can still buy it from his gallery's website. They only sell commemorative and anniversary editions though, which I guess is why it starts at $250.

E: looks like I was wrong and the $250 one is just a regular edition, so I have no idea why they keep it priced so high. They'd make a shitload of money if they did a $50 edition or something like that, since so many people want to buy it but can't really bring themselves to spend $250 on a book.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 05:40 on May 8, 2016

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

John Big Booty posted:

To be perfectly fair, the US had its own fair share of insane rocket folk.

I know it's a couple of pages back, but:

quote:

Crowley and Germer wanted to see Smith removed as head of the Agape Lodge, believing that he had become a bad influence on its members.

Holy poo poo, this guy was too crazy for Aleister loving Crowley. I guess that's badass in its own weird way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Suspect then proceeded to meow like a cat and slowly back away on all fours.