Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
After seeing all these neat project threads getting refreshed I got to wondering who drove the rarest car on AI. Any sort of classification you want, even if your 05 Honda Civic is 1 of 2 in the baby piss yellow with dark purple and orange factory seat color combo.

My claim to fame is I drive an 09 Cobalt of which there were only 100 made. :toot: It makes me snicker just thinking that sentence. More realistically, it's 1 of 472 SS sedans (1 of 100 in the paint code). Which is something like 0.003% of all Cobalts made - making it amazingly difficult to get really routine parts sometimes, even from dealers. It's an ok car. I specifically bought it because it looked like a plain Cobalt and only found out it was rare right before I bought it.

If I had to guess, perhaps I have the newest and rarest car here. But I'm probably wrong. The first time I heard how few were made I thought "wow, this is like having a rare toaster"

Who has something weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My 97 Miata is a Canadian model, which makes it 1 of between 520ish and 580ish ever made regardless of colour or trim package. I'm sure there's fewer survivors than that out here.

Guaranteed someone has something rarer - it's actually annoying that the car is so rare because I wanted a wider corpus of cars to pick from when shopping.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Are you counting swaps as separate models, or just factory rarity? Because I'm pretty sure my beat-rear end Sonoma is a 1/1 with this particular collection of over a decade of random junkyard parts grafted on.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Is this only currently owned or previously owned as well?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My Dad's 1935 Wolseley Hornet Special is one of something like 135 built (1935 is different to the previous years, having the 1604cc engine), and there are only a couple of them still around. There are less than 60 cars of all variants left.

His Austin Seven is quite well-represented, about 2,500 siblings. His Thwaites dumper truck, however, is the only one of that particulat model we've ever seen, and one of maybe three from that family.

There are about 500 original Panda 4x4s left, and I own two of them.

The Cappuccino is one of about 700 in the UK, but mine's a genuine UK car, and a lot are imports (1000 were officially sold here two decades ago).

My 325i Touring has something like 300-400 equivalents.

The Landie is actually quite a lot rarer than I thought, looks like there are only 3,000 4-cylinder LWBs around. That's interesting.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
If we're constraining this with 'drive' you eliminate quite a few projects. The Bricklin is pretty rare...

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Your mother.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
Out of my lot I'm going to guess than the Daihatsu Charmant 1.3 LE is the rarest, there's only about 5-6 Charmants of any description left in the UK and I'd guess less than a thousand worldwide (mostly developing countries). They were pretty rot-prone and worthless when they were nearly new, non-mechanical parts are near-impossible to find (even critical things like light units), they didn't sell in that many places and much of the remaining ones are likely to just end up as cheap drift cars which ultimately end up crashed. I'm not a drifter though, just somebody who appreciates plastic woodgrain and mediocre ride quality.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Paging the guy with the RS2, RS2 guy to rare AI car thread.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Can we add a rule to this? No car that's worth less than 10k.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

How do you quantify that? I bought my car for under 10k but running condition are generally worth more.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

A Melted Tarp posted:

Your mother.

not that rare :v:

no rules here

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

My mom has a 70's Mercedes predecessor to the sprinter van. Super common in Europe, but not in the states. I guess a company imported them back in the 70's and converted them to RV's, and my grandfather bought one which my mom got after he passed. I want to say there is something like 5 of them known to exist in the US anymore. And its bright orange.

I have my broken st165 celica alltrac, which only had a thousand or so imported to the US.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Negromancer posted:

I have my broken st165 celica alltrac, which only had a thousand or so imported to the US.

The st165 is pretty rare these days but there were certainly more than a thousand sold in the US. Add a zero and you'll be in the ballpark.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Terrible Robot posted:

The st165 is pretty rare these days but there were certainly more than a thousand sold in the US. Add a zero and you'll be in the ballpark.

wow. I went to look those numbers up for the ST185 and found out that at one time I owned one of the ~85 1993 ST185s sold in the US. Transmission went and I didn't have the interest/money to fix it. I always felt a little bad about that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are only around 20 trucks identical to mine in my city. Does that count?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Terrible Robot posted:

You are saying over 10,000 st165 alltracs? From this page they only made 26,500 of them total from 86-89, and they were only sold in the US in 88 and 89. They also list that there were only 2,500 st185 alltracs imported to the US out of 26,000 total built.

Either way, don't really care that much. 10,000 just seems way high seeing as how few there are around now.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
There were only 235 Saabarus made with the 2.5 turbo and 5MT; about half of those are estimated totaled.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Negromancer posted:

My mom has a 70's Mercedes predecessor to the sprinter van. Super common in Europe, but not in the states. I guess a company imported them back in the 70's and converted them to RV's, and my grandfather bought one which my mom got after he passed. I want to say there is something like 5 of them known to exist in the US anymore. And its bright orange.

I have 2 broken St165 All Tracs....

I also have a super clean 89 NA Hardtop MR2.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

revmoo posted:

Are we talking now or (inflation-adjusted) original purchase price?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Current value, just so we don't have a hundred ppl in here clamoring about how rare their 93 Tercel is because it has the blue cloth WITH sunroof combination which they only made 3 of.

Really for that matter, I'd say option/color combinations don't count either, unless it's some legendary combination.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Terrible Robot posted:

The important word you missed in his post is alltrac. There's tons of the FWD ones around, but the alltracs are considerably rarer.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

revmoo posted:

Current value, just so we don't have a hundred ppl in here clamoring about how rare their 93 Tercel is because it has the blue cloth WITH sunroof combination which they only made 3 of.

Really for that matter, I'd say option/color combinations don't count either, unless it's some legendary combination.

But that's fun. I mean the dudes cobalt is super rareish and fun to think about. Dont be a prissy baby pants. :(

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I don't give a poo poo if your car is rare because it has pink polka-dot seats and is the only one out of 78.5 billion Toyota FrigidAire GTIs built...it isn't rare.

If we're talking about rarity, I say we limit it to "how many did the factory build" and that's it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Negromancer posted:

You are saying over 10,000 st165 alltracs? From this page they only made 26,500 of them total from 86-89, and they were only sold in the US in 88 and 89. They also list that there were only 2,500 st185 alltracs imported to the US out of 26,000 total built.

Either way, don't really care that much. 10,000 just seems way high seeing as how few there are around now.

I hadn't seen those numbers and was basing it off of the ~30k produced figure that I'd come across years ago. I thought they would have imported a larger fraction to the NA market than they did.

Rarest st165 ever is the IMSA GTO Champion special edition. I think only 75 or so made their way to the US.

HotCanadianChick posted:

The important word you missed in his post is alltrac. There's tons of the FWD ones around, but the alltracs are considerably rarer.

Yeah, no, I didn't miss that. I own a couple of the FWD (st162) models, the All-Trac is my Grail.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 9, 2014

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Pretty sure someone here owned a Noble at some point, and then sold it, but for what I cannot recall.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Alighieri posted:

Pretty sure someone here owned a Noble at some point, and then sold it, but for what I cannot recall.

Comrade Flynn, IIRC, and yes that is probably the rarest car anyone has ever owned in AI.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032817&userid=37583#post406016963

sure wish search worked

He sold it and got a Datsun GTR

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrChips posted:

Comrade Flynn, IIRC, and yes that is probably the rarest car anyone has ever owned in AI.

I do believe the replacement is a GT-:argh:.

I own nothing of any sort of rarity. Sure, '67-'72 trucks are only going to become fewer and fewer as the ravages of time take them out, but I'm sure that rate has slowed greatly since now most of them are in the hands of enthusiasts. I do still see the occasional '67-'72 still actively being used as a work truck, though! Hell, when I was in high school there were four other people there who had 'em.

'98 Ranger and '13 CR-V? Literally millions of each when you treat them as generations, and there's nothing special option-wise about either. Hell, it's impossible to order anything special on the CR-V. You pick 2WD or AWD, LX, EX, or EX with leather, pick a paint and interior color, and if you got the EX with leather you have some choice on the infotainment. Otherwise, my white 2WD LX is just like every other white 2WD LX.

The '73 Opel GT is probably the closest thing to a rare vehicle that I've owned (and even then, it was really my wife's) but that is far more due to the fact that they rust if you look at them funny and were expensive to repair in a crash, so very few are actually roadworthy.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm not sure if it's just one or both of you missing this, but ST165 is the All-Trac (which is rare), ST16(0/1/2/3) are the non-All-Trac, there were a billion of them, versions.

That said, I'm not sure how many were actually sold here, but it wasn't a great deal. I'd guess the original poster was closer than TR.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
There were 2858 Mcoupes made over 5 years for North America so that is vaguely rare.
I think there were under 2000 Lotus Eclats built but I sold that a while back.
Also had a Fiat x1/9 with a Yamaha V4 motorcycle engine in it, I hope to god only one of those exists.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

*checks bluebook*

:suicide:

I'm out.

fwiw: one of 4 left in North america.

E: discovery: not rare.
however.
97MY, non AEL system. 5 speed trans, SE7 package, every additional factory addon, base wheels, Rioja red mica paint.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 9, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Krakkles posted:

I'm not sure if it's just one or both of you missing this, but ST165 is the All-Trac (which is rare), ST16(0/1/2/3) are the non-All-Trac, there were a billion of them, versions.

That said, I'm not sure how many were actually sold here, but it wasn't a great deal. I'd guess the original poster was closer than TR.

Nobody has confused the st165 for the FWD models in this thread, I have no idea where everybody keeps getting that from.

Only 1000 All-Tracs sold (88-89) still seems really low to me, but I do admit that 10k is also way too high of a guess.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Bibendum posted:

There were 2858 Mcoupes made over 5 years for North America so that is vaguely rare.
I think there were under 2000 Lotus Eclats built but I sold that a while back.
Also had a Fiat x1/9 with a Yamaha V4 motorcycle engine in it, I hope to god only one of those exists.

How was the Lotus Eclat? Someone has one a couple blocks over from where I live as a winter beater (when it's nice out they have a `79 Esprit out)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
My Ram Daytona is 1 of 11,000ish Daytona's made, but 1 of 955 in 2WD, RC, Go ManGo! form. Toss in the factory random Trac-Loc rear and I think some of the guys on another site and myself figured it's 1 of less than 100.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Ignoarints posted:

After seeing all these neat project threads getting refreshed I got to wondering who drove the rarest car on AI. Any sort of classification you want, even if your 05 Honda Civic is 1 of 2 in the baby piss yellow with dark purple and orange factory seat color combo.

My claim to fame is I drive an 09 Cobalt of which there were only 100 made. :toot: It makes me snicker just thinking that sentence. More realistically, it's 1 of 472 SS sedans (1 of 100 in the paint code). Which is something like 0.003% of all Cobalts made - making it amazingly difficult to get really routine parts sometimes, even from dealers. It's an ok car. I specifically bought it because it looked like a plain Cobalt and only found out it was rare right before I bought it.

If I had to guess, perhaps I have the newest and rarest car here. But I'm probably wrong. The first time I heard how few were made I thought "wow, this is like having a rare toaster"

Who has something weird?

SS Sedans are great sleeper cars. Mine SS has the high rise and sticks out like a sore thumb.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My uncle has a 1952 Woodhill Wildfire, I believe it's 148 of 300 made and less then 50 surviving. My dad has a 1948 Desoto Custom Convertible "demo" car that there were only a few made (no idea on figure here.) My Black 93 Rx-7 is the 156 out of 350 that model year in the USA.

Honestly, the E-type Jag on here has all of ours beat, except the Wildfire. That thing's incredibly rare.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Terrible Robot posted:

I hadn't seen those numbers and was basing it off of the ~30k produced figure that I'd come across years ago. I thought they would have imported a larger fraction to the NA market than they did.

Rarest st165 ever is the IMSA GTO Champion special edition. I think only 75 or so made their way to the US.

Yeah, no, I didn't miss that. I own a couple of the FWD (st162) models, the All-Trac is my Grail.

Eric from the all trac forums has one. His is the one with the st205 hood grafted to the frame of the hood for his st165. Nice car. The only difference is stickers. Seriously stickers.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
There were 2,854 Bricklins built and around 1,100 or so left. 780 of those were built in '74, which is the year I own. For what it's worth.

I assume this thread is talking about AI posters as opposed to AI poster's parent's uncle's friend's former college roommate.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

SS Sedans are great sleeper cars. Mine SS has the high rise and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Yeah I got pulled over a lot in my STi in the past. I wanted the polar opposite of that in looks, but within a limited budget this time around. And there she was - a silver Cobalt with a hidden turbo and pretty great (for fwd) suspension all factory. Easily my least favorite car color in one of the most boring looking car bodies on the market. No SS tail lights, wing, etc.

Pretty fast though, I was pretty shocked that it was (barely) a 13 second card from the factory, and an additional 50hp was a few bolt ons away. But it is what it is - a souped up cobalt.

Despite the fact there were only 472 ever made, I saw 5 others within 2 months in my city alone.

• Locked thread