Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Ignoarints posted:

Yeah I got pulled over a lot in my STi in the past. I wanted the polar opposite of that in looks, but within a limited budget this time around. And there she was - a silver Cobalt with a hidden turbo and pretty great (for fwd) suspension all factory. Easily my least favorite car color in one of the most boring looking car bodies on the market. No SS tail lights, wing, etc.

Pretty fast though, I was pretty shocked that it was (barely) a 13 second card from the factory, and an additional 50hp was a few bolt ons away. But it is what it is - a souped up cobalt.

Despite the fact there were only 472 ever made, I saw 5 others within 2 months in my city alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piE1R8u0pvU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Tommychu posted:

So do they just put it in the glove box or... :wtc:

Seriously what the hell part of the car is 'horse cock' supposed to refer to?

Have you ever seen a stock 1G DSM shifter? I can't find a GIS picture of the DSM horse cock at the moment.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

The flip side of this is the oddly optioned American cars are the ones that go for huge cash at auctions today. Your point is right, but odd and rare are often the same thing.

1 of 1 Mod Top hemi 'Cuda. Hideous, odd, rare, and worth millions.

This is definitely true and seems to hold mostly for muscle cars more than anything. I wonder where the trend started. With euro cars it's usually racing pedigree or the engine or the fact that it is one of three built is some crazy Italians garage. With American cars it can be similar but weirdo options definitely bring a premium.

I would totally drive that 'Cuda. In fact if I ever get a car with a vinyl roof I am going to cover it in that material.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Nait Sirhc posted:

Have you ever seen a stock 1G DSM shifter? I can't find a GIS picture of the DSM horse cock at the moment.

Early SHO's also suffered from Horse Cock.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Tommychu posted:

So do they just put it in the glove box or... :wtc:

Seriously what the hell part of the car is 'horse cock' supposed to refer to?

The shift knob, obviously. Just google "1g horse cock".

On second thought, don't do that.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

There were only about ~1400 other copies of my motorcycle made 31 years ago. Doubt much of them are still hanging around.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Voltage posted:

Paging the guy with the RS2, RS2 guy to rare AI car thread.

It's not that rare, they made 2891 of them. Now an S2 sedan, that's rare! They only made 306 of those.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I have a UZZ32 Toyota Soarer. They only made 872 of them, the 2nd shortest production run from Toyota.

Still nothing on some of the cars in this thread - but it's the best I can do :(. It has a unique suspension system though, which wikipedia claims is "the most advanced system ever fitted to a road car". (citation probably needed)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ok, can we get some clarification here. Are we going by production model numbers, or by what trim your car had that year?

Because I think we should go by production numbers of that model of car, not "my Taurus had horse cock trim level that only came on 2 out of 200000000 Tauruses made that year"

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

You Am I posted:

Ok, can we get some clarification here. Are we going by production model numbers, or by what trim your car had that year?

Because I think we should go by production numbers of that model of car, not "my Taurus had horse cock trim level that only came on 2 out of 200000000 Tauruses made that year"

Trim packages define the car sometimes.

I really think people should just quit sperging and post more cars.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

You Am I posted:

The 3rd option in that is the actual number of survivors. If only one car survives out of 1 million it is more rare than one car that survives out of 600.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Two competitors from my stable:
'92 GMC Typhoon (It's for sale!)

'67 E-Type (Supposed to be coming out of the body shop in 2 weeks!)

Way2slow fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 11, 2014

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I have a UZZ32 Toyota Soarer. They only made 872 of them, the 2nd shortest production run from Toyota.

Still nothing on some of the cars in this thread - but it's the best I can do :(. It has a unique suspension system though, which wikipedia claims is "the most advanced system ever fitted to a road car". (citation probably needed)

As far as I know it's the only road going car with a real active suspension.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

Way2slow posted:

Two competitors from my stable:

Oh man that Typhoon is awesome. What are you asking for it?

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
8K. It's got 133K on the clock, but runs and drives fine.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Way2slow posted:

8K. It's got 133K on the clock, but runs and drives fine.

want a rover? :3:

I keed. that ty is awesome. I almost bought one a year ago.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

cursedshitbox posted:

want a rover? :3:

I keed. that ty is awesome. I almost bought one a year ago.

I think one British car is enough. The E-Type will keep me more than busy I am sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone here told me my 88.5 Exp was pretty drat rare. I don't remember who said that though.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

1 of ~2-300 in Tropic Orange.

The G35 I drive now isn't rare per se, but it was a pain in the rear end finding one in black with everything and a 6 speed manual.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

On one hand, I drive an ordinary mass-market sedan in the most common color there is (silver). Tons of Peugeot 406s are still on the road a decade after production stopped, mostly because a shitload of them were built. So not rare at all.

On the other hand, firstly it's got an engine option (2.2L, second-gen only) that not a lot of people chose. The only reason for buying it new over a V6 was a slight price advantage. It gets less power for roughly the same fuel economy.

Secondly, my car is a mid-facelift model, so it's got a hodgepodge of first-gen (D8) and second-gen (D9) parts. The design is all D9, but stuff like the steering column stalks are lifted straight from a D8. The electrics are multiplexed, same as on a D9, except they aren't really. So when you hook it up to the Peugeot diagnostic tool, half of the stuff responds to D9 commands and the other half responds to D8 commands. It seems to be random whether the VIN will show as a D8 or D9 model, which is extra fun because the engine code for my car doesn't even exist for the D8.

Does that make it rare? I don't know, but I hope Peugeot didn't produce too many weirdass interim models.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 11, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Way2slow posted:

I am extremely jealous.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Legacy GT manual wagon is pretty rare.
They made 1600 of them.

I'm not sure that going futher really counts, but the non-limited (base) they only made 648. (Call it the superleggera)
Color really doesn't count (esp ABP, which is boring, but at least it is a color) they made 131.

That said, doesn't compare to a Colbalt TC/SS sedan. Note OP, they made some NA colbalt SSes in earlier years, so it can be hard to tell. The easiest is looking at the brakes.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
If trim levels and such count I'm weighing in with the Ford Fairlane NF Sportsman V8.

I've asked around. Talked to someone at Ford who dug in and researched for me, and the person that was the head of SVO at the time and cant find anything. All I can say is the Sportsman was a special snowflake trim level assembled by SVO, also factory lowered, special teddybear rims and fitted with the Tickford I6. Except this one which came with the wheezer 302. No-one's seen another. Don't know what it retailed for in '96 but I suspect around $60k going by other prices. Scary.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

animeliker posted:

As far as I know it's the only road going car with a real active suspension.

I've never heard of an other car with a similar system. Most other cars with hudropneumatic suspension just seem to change their damping rates. But that's quite a claim to make - I hope it's true!

It's an amazing system, but I can see why it was never carried on.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Somebody already claimed to one, but I also had an '88 323 GTX. At the moment I've got an '01 Renaultsport Clio 172 which apparently they only sold 1357 of in the UK, so kinda rare??

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

nm posted:

That said, doesn't compare to a Colbalt TC/SS sedan. Note OP, they made some NA colbalt SSes in earlier years, so it can be hard to tell. The easiest is looking at the brakes.

The 2.4 NA makes good power once you slap an M62 on it. One of these days when I'm not broke I'm going to size down on my pulley. The SS/TCs came with Brembos but the SS/SC and SS/NA did not.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

IMO the sedan looks better than the coupe, I saw a yellow one the other day and it looked pretty drat nice. I would almost entertain buying the NA version if it's cheap, I had no idea a NA SS existed.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

2001 NSX is 1/166 US models made in 2001 according to http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I've never heard of an other car with a similar system. Most other cars with hudropneumatic suspension just seem to change their damping rates. But that's quite a claim to make - I hope it's true!

It's an amazing system, but I can see why it was never carried on.

Is this a discussion about TEMS? Because that's all TEMS does (change the damping rate) which was quite advanced for it's time, but certainly not unique these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

aventari posted:

2001 NSX is 1/166 US models made in 2001 according to http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers

You don't post about that beauty nearly enough dude.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
My and the 4 other Deep Purple Falcon Owners in Perth wave at each other if we happen to pass by.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My 97 Miata is a Canadian model, which makes it 1 of between 520ish and 580ish ever made regardless of colour or trim package. I'm sure there's fewer survivors than that out here.

Guaranteed someone has something rarer - it's actually annoying that the car is so rare because I wanted a wider corpus of cars to pick from when shopping.

My 1997 Miata IS the Canadian 'Speedster' Edition.

1 of 167 sold.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
2009 Saab 9-7X Aero. 126 were built in 2009. 526 were built in it's entire production run. Fortunately, i'ts powered by an LS2 which is easy to get parts for!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Modus Man posted:

2009 Saab 9-7X Aero. 126 were built in 2009. 526 were built in it's entire production run. Fortunately, i'ts powered by an LS2 which is easy to get parts for!

I've occasionally heard that referred to as the Trollblazer and I refuse to call it anything else.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Not the rarest. I had an 1989 Volvo 780 Bertone Coupe w/the b230ft+. I can't find a pic right now but it looked like this. About 1500 for 1989(?).

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Rhyno posted:

You don't post about that beauty nearly enough dude.

I agree.

aventari posted:

how many miles are on it now? I adore your time capsule.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Good god I think the rear end end of regular SS's look so terrible. And 600 hp out of anything is pretty sweet, but man... thats the last thing I'd do in a fwd. I should be a little over 300 but traction is already an issue.

I'd have thrown some spray painted black steel wheels on mine to complete the crappy-cobalt look if the turbo wheels didn't actually look pretty sweet. And not like I'd fit my brakes under them anyway but I was seriously considering it at one point. I don't think much of my car

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

Is this a discussion about TEMS? Because that's all TEMS does (change the damping rate) which was quite advanced for it's time, but certainly not unique these days.

It's a different system to TEMS, which was fitted to many similar models around that time (and probably still is). This system replaced conventional suspension with hydraulic cylinders in each strut, a high pressure pump and a valve body. A nitrogen cylinder was attached to each strut to absorb bumps. There are no conventional springs. The system is fully computer controlled and able to move each suspension strut to anywhere in it's travel almost instantly. The car has zero body roll in corners (within operational limits). The car is constantly making height adjustments to the 4 wheels. The system is paired with an active 4-wheel steer system which steers the rear wheels as-and-when it chooses to 'assist' you :raise:. Here's a link to a teardown of a strut. Here's a rather dull technical document on the system which seems to mainly focus on the 4WS. There's plenty more info on google.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Bugdrvr posted:

I remember reading somewhere that some math smart guy said there was some ridiculous amount of option variables to order the 1957 Chevy in.
Just because you could order a bench seat with a floor shift, ashtray delete with some crazy color combination that no one else would think to do doesn't make it 'Super rare!! Only one of two in the world!!!' it just means someone had an idea of the perfect car that not many people agreed with. Same with any car that you can build to order. The other day I PDI'd a base 911 with some woodgrain, light grey lower and tan upper interior. It was also fitted with a Burmeister stereo, clear tail lights, PDK and PCCB brakes. It was way more expensive than a base Carrera S but was just optioned up with a weird list of stuff. It's not rare, just oddly optioned.

Even back in 1994 BMW made a point of noting that over the course of an entire year they only built 4 E36 convertibles in exactly the same spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Modus Man posted:

Sup 9-7x Aero buddy? AI owns 1/300th or so of these trucks. I think final product was 500 in 2008 and 121 in 2009 - 100 black, and 21 in silver. So if your truck's silver you have the rarest baby of Moraine, Ohio.

Fucknag posted:

I've occasionally heard that referred to as the Trollblazer and I refuse to call it anything else.

Trollhattan? Yes. Troll? Definitely. There's some kid that lives in the next neighborhood over in a very loud RX-7 that now casts hateful glares at the Trollblazer whenever I stumble on him because we have found out numerous times he's definitely slower than it. Troll indeed!

• Locked thread