Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
How do you guys like the Trollblazer? I've joked with the wife about picking one up for her so we can have two badge-engineered Saabs in the driveway. I'd also like a 9-4x, but they are impossible to find and possibly terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

blk posted:

How do you guys like the Trollblazer? I've joked with the wife about picking one up for her so we can have two badge-engineered Saabs in the driveway. I'd also like a 9-4x, but they are impossible to find and possibly terrible.

Coincidentally I saw this one like 2 days ago on craigslist....I didn't even realize they made it to production.
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/4419345553.html

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

blugu64 posted:

Coincidentally I saw this one like 2 days ago on craigslist....I didn't even realize they made it to production.
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/4419345553.html

What GM platform is that based on? Looks a lot like the GMC Terrain and other SUVs they're building at CAMI in Ontario.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I have a 1998 Subaru STI Type-RA V-Limited. It's a WRC homolgamation model, I have #544 of 555 that were ever made (555 was the cigarette sponsor that year), as well I have the 'Ballerina pivot' shifter assembly which is 1 of 1000 made.

Just some pics. I forgot to include since we're counting options that this came with a driver-controlled center differential which basically stock means that you get a thumbwheel by the e-brake that controls how much the rear axles are allowed to spin relative to the front. It goes from fully opened to fully locked. I picked up a third party algorithmic controller for it which takes input from the TPS as well as a 2-way G sensor to put the diff in the best possible setting at any time. Other addons that you could customize when you bought the car includes the 13:1 steering rack on this one. It's great.

It also has a live readout on the dash of the center diff ratio that is being set by the algorithmic controller:

The front foglights are controlled by this ridiculous wireless remote which is velcro'd in place here on the dash. I don't know if it's factory but the fogs do say "Subaru" on them. Yes those other controls are for a factory intercooler spray which is pretty rad.

On the trunk:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

It's a different system to TEMS, which was fitted to many similar models around that time (and probably still is). This system replaced conventional suspension with hydraulic cylinders in each strut, a high pressure pump and a valve body. A nitrogen cylinder was attached to each strut to absorb bumps. There are no conventional springs. The system is fully computer controlled and able to move each suspension strut to anywhere in it's travel almost instantly. The car has zero body roll in corners (within operational limits). The car is constantly making height adjustments to the 4 wheels.

That sounds a lot like the hydractive setup on the Citroen XM, which was introduced 2 years before the Z30 generation Soarer.

The later and lighter Xantia with the improved Activa setup famously out handled a Porsche 911 996 GT2 in the Swedish moose test.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 13, 2014

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
So this thread has devolved into "who has a car that some other people might not have". Basically we will never be able to decide who has the "rarest" car unless very real rules are set in place.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

So this thread has devolved into "who has a car that some other people might not have". Basically we will never be able to decide who has the "rarest" car unless very real rules are set in place.

1. Must be a Subaru flat 4
2. ?

Just to get it started~

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I propose that it must have been in limited production somehow.

One-off customs shouldn't count, and neither should oddball option combinations on an otherwise common model.

An STI 22B counts, but poo poo like a Honda Fit with a special interior option shouldn't.

E: Or if you have something that's rare because very few are left despite being mass-produced, that's good too.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 13, 2014

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Does the STI still have the ludicrous BRIGHT button on the dash for that clock? The one Subaru fitted because a rheostat for the dash lighting which also wouldn't take up a square meter of dash space would be just too hard and also might actually be useful?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Saga posted:

Does the STI still have the ludicrous BRIGHT button on the dash for that clock? The one Subaru fitted because a rheostat for the dash lighting which also wouldn't take up a square meter of dash space would be just too hard and also might actually be useful?

Mine doesn't but the way you describe it I kinda want one.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Mine doesn't but the way you describe it I kinda want one.

You don't - it sits just above the head unit, is almost full inch long and doesn't do anything but make the digital clock a bit brighter. It's not only ridiculous but also pointless, because even on BRIGHT there is no way anyone could be blinded by that clock.

It's like the short bus version of Saab's "night mode".

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

blk posted:

I never knew they actually made a production 9-4x.

Didn't realize the 9-7x was so rare - there's one on the next street over from me, to go with my 9-2x Aero and another one (sadly AT) also in my neighborhood in DC.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Automotive Insanity › Who drives the Geo Prizm without cruise control but with a leather interior?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm laughing so hard at the idea of a Cobalt being rare. Going down to color, options, etc is pretty silly.

I had a 1/~1200 1992 Supra (total U.S. production). Being a turbo model with the charcoal gray/black leather interior let me sell it for the same amount I bought it for after owning it for 8 years.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Nocheez posted:

I'm laughing so hard at the idea of a Cobalt being rare. Going down to color, options, etc is pretty silly.

I had a 1/~1200 1992 Supra (total U.S. production). Being a turbo model with the charcoal gray/black leather interior let me sell it for the same amount I bought it for after owning it for 8 years.

I was waiting for you to show up.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

8ender posted:

What GM platform is that based on? Looks a lot like the GMC Terrain and other SUVs they're building at CAMI in Ontario.

Whatever the first gen SRX was on

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
Currently have a 2000 Audi A6 2.7TT with 155k miles, and my :siren: stock turbos aren't blown! :siren: Rarer yet, its has a manual. Beat that craplords

Serious answer:
Had a VW Corrado back in the day, something like 3.5-5 thousand of them in the states depending on where you get your info. Worldwide, hell of a lot more, but pretty uncommon in the US due to nobody ever wanting to pay a lot of money for a premium or sporty VW.
Had an Audi 90 Quattro 20V. Similar production numbers to the Corrado. Same story, Audi didn't sell many of them because they were still trying to recover from the 60 Minutes Unintended Acceleration debacle. Incredibly pretty car imho, sounded amazing, was fairly slow and had very expensive parts.

Still have a 1960 Triumph TR3A sitting in the garage waiting to get painted. I'm pretty sure the initial production numbers wouldn't indicate any sort of rarity, but the vast majority of them you see these days (all old triumphs, most MGs, occasional lotus) have been attacked by somebody who thinks they know what they are doing with bodywork and as such are now 50% lovely bondo work. That or they sit in a driveway or a yard with a half done engine swap project that both started and stopped in 1987.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, what are good ways to find out how many of X car were built for Y market with Z trim?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

It's a different system to TEMS, which was fitted to many similar models around that time (and probably still is). This system replaced conventional suspension with hydraulic cylinders in each strut, a high pressure pump and a valve body. A nitrogen cylinder was attached to each strut to absorb bumps. There are no conventional springs. The system is fully computer controlled and able to move each suspension strut to anywhere in it's travel almost instantly. The car has zero body roll in corners (within operational limits). The car is constantly making height adjustments to the 4 wheels. The system is paired with an active 4-wheel steer system which steers the rear wheels as-and-when it chooses to 'assist' you :raise:. Here's a link to a teardown of a strut. Here's a rather dull technical document on the system which seems to mainly focus on the 4WS. There's plenty more info on google.

Woah....that's pretty cool. But is also seems ridiculously over engineered when you can get pretty much the same result with a gyro and hydraulic sway bar end links (like ACE on Land Rovers) paired up with some kind of adjustable shocks like TEMS.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

Woah....that's pretty cool. But is also seems ridiculously over engineered when you can get pretty much the same result with a gyro and hydraulic sway bar end links (like ACE on Land Rovers) paired up with some kind of adjustable shocks like TEMS.

When active suspensions were allowed in F1 (They first appeared in 1987 I believe on the Lotus 100T, prototypes may have existed before in other cars) they were similar to what that Soarer had, and were very obviously superior to conventional suspensions. What I don't understand is why it didn't appear on a sports car - the JZA80 Supra (same platform) or SW MR2 (with some re-engineering) would be a good candidates.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'd go with something like this, in order of importance.

1. Number of cars originally manufactured globally.
2. Number of cars remaining globally.
3. Truly weird or rare factory/dealer options like those crazy Harlequin VW Golfs or the 3000GT Spyder convertible.
4. Special editions or truly rare packages, like Numbered Limited Editions such as the Cosworth Vega or the Galant VR-4.
5. Limited runs of mass produced cars with optional engine or appearance packages, like the SS Cobalt in the OP.

Things that do not count:

"Toyota made a billion trillion Centuries for the rest of the world, but I have the only one in the US according to my cousin's friend who works at the shipping yard downtown."
"I own 1 of 12 brown 2003 Toyota Corollas that came with a manual transmission that has a factory tachometer, power passenger mirror, 14" wheels, red badges, and side impact air bags. It's like totally rare."
"Do parents cars count? My dad had a....."

So, for example, you may have 1 of 51 Porsches with a limited edition engine package, which is cool, but the Tucker is rarer since there were 51 of them in total ever made.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 13, 2014

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Do parents cars count? My dad had a Jensen S-V8 of which I think there were only around 30 built. Unfortunately we had it less than a year before it went back to the factory to be made actually roadworthy, but it never returned :(

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Motronic posted:

I own another Soarer with Supra Mk4 struts/springs and uprated swaybars. The difference in ride is noticable, but the Active model isn't so much batter that it's worth the maintenance costs ($300 for a reseal kit per strut, $100 for a gallon of suspension fluid which needs to be changed every year/10k) or the power loss (that pump really sucks the power).

Hilariously, when trying to pull away quickly, the car will notice the back end squatting, and will pump up the rear struts to compensate, robbing engine power when you want it more. The system as a whole definitely isn't 'worth it', but I still plan to keep the car forever. It was obviously a crazy/quirky technology experiment which never survived outside of that niche model. I guess the 8mil yen price tag in 1991 didn't help either.

I don't know where or if it fits in on the 'rarest car' criteria posted above. It was never meant as a special edition or limited run (they were built to order), but they have built up quite a cult following in the UK/Aus, so much so that there's a list of where most of them are online.

animeliker posted:

When active suspensions were allowed in F1 (They first appeared in 1987 I believe on the Lotus 100T, prototypes may have existed before in other cars) they were similar to what that Soarer had, and were very obviously superior to conventional suspensions. What I don't understand is why it didn't appear on a sports car - the JZA80 Supra (same platform) or SW MR2 (with some re-engineering) would be a good candidates.

The system added a lot of weight and robbed a lot of horsepower. It's also more soft and 'floaty' and doesn't give much feedback to the driver, even thought it tightens up and feels more planted when in a corner. I'm more surprised that it never made it into the LS400. The Soarer (and SC) was a bit of a oddball, literally halfway between a Supra (the Mk4 Supra was based on it) and a LS400.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 13, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Phy posted:

So, what are good ways to find out how many of X car were built for Y market with Z trim?

This is basically the only use car specific forums have, the limited edition Ram forum I used to post at basically had to threaten Chrysler with a lawsuit to get Daytona numbers published.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Do parents cars count?

NO

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Do Coachbuilt vehicles count?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
how about uncles

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

What about neighbors?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I guess I'll put my 840 in here. It's not the rarest thing on 4 wheels - i'm not like trying to win the thread or anything, but it's not exactly a Camry either.

Numbers!

Worldwide production of BMW 8 Series - 830Ci (yes, they made a few! 18 to be exact, all prototypes), 840Ci, 850i/Ci, 850CSi = 30,621 (7,232 for North America)
Worldwide production of 840Ci (M60 and M62) = 7,803 (2,450 for North America)
Worldwide production of 840Ci (M60 only) = 4,728 (1,649 for North America)

Of all of the 8s that were sold in NA, a total of 403 were painted with paint code 244 - Sterlingsilber Metallic. 49 of those were 840s. Mine is one of these. Out of all 8 series produced worldwide, there were a total of 153 made with my paint / interior combo.

It's also a very early build - production of the 840Ci started in 09/93. Mine was built in 10/93. I don't know what production number it was (although it's something I've always been curious about), but I just put in a request for a build sheet report that I'm hoping will tell me.

Source: The owners / enthusiasts at 8coupe.com have put an incredible registry together about these. There's a seriously :psypop::hf::spergin: amount of information on there.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
The window sticker on my Wrangler says "Especially built for Giundy". Unless someone else is going to build one for me, I'm pretty sure that makes it a one of a kind. At the least I can be smug its a manual, only 20% of them that roll out of Akron are these days.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Our ex fearless leader sigtrap drives an Aston Martin. I'd consider that.... fairly rare.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Tremek posted:

Sup 9-7x Aero buddy? AI owns 1/300th or so of these trucks. I think final product was 500 in 2008 and 121 in 2009 - 100 black, and 21 in silver. So if your truck's silver you have the rarest baby of Moraine, Ohio.

Trollhattan? Yes. Troll? Definitely. There's some kid that lives in the next neighborhood over in a very loud RX-7 that now casts hateful glares at the Trollblazer whenever I stumble on him because we have found out numerous times he's definitely slower than it. Troll indeed!

Ah my numbers were a little off but yeah still rare. Unfortunately mine is not one of the 20 something diamond silver, I think they look real nice. Does yours have a crippled transmission or stabilitrak issues like everyone else?(yes and yes for mine) I wonder how many are still actually on the road. They are only 5 or 6 years old but I am sure a few have been scrapped already due those two issues and their low residual value.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

I own an '89 Pulsar NX Sportbak. The car itself wasn't that uncommon originally, but, you could order it with a special hatch that would change it from the standard notchback style to a shooting brake. As far as I know only a couple thousand were ever sold as they were nearly $1500 on top of the asking price.

Never seen another one around before either, with or without the canopy hatch. Most seemed to have vanished or ended up in the junkyard.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Modus Man posted:

Ah my numbers were a little off but yeah still rare. Unfortunately mine is not one of the 20 something diamond silver, I think they look real nice. Does yours have a crippled transmission or stabilitrak issues like everyone else?(yes and yes for mine) I wonder how many are still actually on the road. They are only 5 or 6 years old but I am sure a few have been scrapped already due those two issues and their low residual value.

It's too bad about the 94x - I really like the styling for a crossover - in fact, I can't think of a better looking crossover, but the car was otherwise such a turd.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Modus Man posted:

Nope and nope, mine's fine other than a droopy rear left airbag and probably needing sway bar bushings. It got mad and disabled Stabilitrak once but $3 in brake fluid fixed that issue. Transmission shifts solidly. I was thinking about adding power to it (which would likely necessitate transmission service down the road) but I don't think my wife likes it enough to put pointless money into it. We will see! Last year I got her to drag race the Cayenne but I don't think she will race this thing.

blk posted:

I like it a lot. As a body on frame SUV goes it rides well and has more than decent get-up-and-go. The 4 speed's not quite as awesome as a 6l80e would have been but whatever. The 9-7s came in 3 flavors, lovely 4.2 Atlas I6 that nobody should own, respectable 5.3, and the slightly more ballsy LS2 6.0. A guy I know bought a 5.3 recently for like $6k and is going to Ebay turbo the fucker because why not. I recommend you do the same? Their interiors (while not amazing) are significantly better than a Trailblazer and the trucks are cheaper to boot. Something to be said for that.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 14, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Vitamin J posted:

If we're gonna do this poo poo then I win because my 1994 GMC Suburban was only one of two built with certain options.
Oh? What was that about an anti-domestic bias? :v:

Seriously though, how do you find out how many models were made with whatever color and options combination? I've got a Chevy K1500 of the same vintage, and I'm absolutely sure no other Suburban has the same rust and peeling paint pattern as mine. :smug:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

PhoenixWing posted:

I own an '89 Pulsar NX Sportbak. The car itself wasn't that uncommon originally, but, you could order it with a special hatch that would change it from the standard notchback style to a shooting brake. As far as I know only a couple thousand were ever sold as they were nearly $1500 on top of the asking price.

Never seen another one around before either, with or without the canopy hatch. Most seemed to have vanished or ended up in the junkyard.

I wanted one of these so bad when they came out. I thought that hatch was pretty drat sweet. I saw one in a local junkyard a couple years ago and it had the hatch. I stopped and checked it out for a while. Meanwhile my wife is standing there saying "It's ugly. What do you see in that?" I told her "Are we looking at the same car? It's awesome!" Too bad it had major front end damage. I should have just bought the hatch and found a decent Pulsar without it.

And, yes, my wife accompanies me to junk yards. She loves those places even if she doesn't know the occasional cool car when she sees it. She's a big help when tearing into a car for that part I need to get one of my vehicles running again.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Kill-9 posted:

And, yes, my wife accompanies me to junk yards.

Rarest thing posted so far in this thread.

All three of our cars are one of approximately eleventh billion (91 Corolla, 2000 4Runner, 09 Mazda 6s) so I can't really participate.

bandman fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 14, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
All it takes is $38k and a visit to Houston, Texas to win this once and for all: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/lotus/unspecified/1648866.html

How could this thing possibly be legally registered, though? It's not 25 years old and was definitely never sold here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Twerk from Home posted:

All it takes is $38k and a visit to Houston, Texas to win this once and for all: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/lotus/unspecified/1648866.html

How could this thing possibly be legally registered, though? It's not 25 years old and was definitely never sold here.

Probably under the Porsche 959 clause.

• Locked thread