Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I'd Carlton so hard in a Carlton. No joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Twerk from Home posted:

All it takes is $38k and a visit to Houston, Texas to win this once and for all: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/lotus/unspecified/1648866.html

How could this thing possibly be legally registered, though? It's not 25 years old and was definitely never sold here.

:aaaaa: I want that.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

:aaaaa: I want that.

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yptiCYBSZo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My (former) M Coupe that was sold last summer is one of two with this engine/color/interior/non-sunroof configuration

http://www.mcoupebuyersguide.com/listing?ListingID=2306

http://www.mcoupebuyersguide.com/vin?VIN=WBSCM9342YLC61320

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

afen posted:

It's not that rare, they made 2891 of them. Now an S2 sedan, that's rare! They only made 306 of those.

My former co-worker is selling his 1994 S2 Sedan for 120k swedish (19k USD). In the swedish car registry it's called "Audi 80 S2". :v:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I had a Boxster Spyder for a couple years. They only brought over 825 of them between 2011 and 2012. They were not part of a numbered run because it wasn't just a lovely interior trim package like all the Porsche "special" editions.

This car was so drat good. I spent about half of the time wishing I had bought a GT3 and I didn't realize how good it was until I sold it. gently caress moving to Colorado.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
I just sold my 1932 Nash coupe which according to the Nash club of America was one of five left in existence. It was a shame I never had the original motor for it I crammed a 350 small block in it which just made it a death trap with it still having the cable brakes.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Kill-9 posted:

And, yes, my wife accompanies me to junk yards.

bandman posted:

Rarest thing posted so far in this thread.

Thanks.
She is a good one. Drives a Golf R, accompanies me to every car show, loves Top Gear, and has her own mechanics overalls for crawling under our cars to help out. I'm not trading in this rare model any time soon.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Am I the only goon with a DeLorean? It's an August 81 build and I've had it for about 10 years. It's for sale if anyone is interested. I guess it qualifies as somewhat rare as it is a 3sp auto which was the only dealership "option".

Panaflex fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 16, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Panaflex posted:

Am I the only goon with a DeLorean? It's an August 81 build and I've had it for about 10 years. It's for sale if anyone is interested. I guess it qualifies as somewhat rare as it is a 3sp auto which was the only dealership "option".

I dunno, have you ever used the username Zordon?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Rhyno posted:

I just had an acid flashback. Thanks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If I have to suffer with these memories then so do the rest of you.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My vehicles are kinda rare-ish. My daily driver is a 1984 Volvo 240 Turbo with a flathood, good original paint, and a B230FT. In the six years and 60k miles I've owned and worked on this car I've yet to see another one in person outside of a 242GT I saw in Santa Cruz driven by a haggard tweaker of a man (but that's every Volvo owner, really). At the very least I own one of maybe 500 Volvos that don't have blown trailing arm bushings. :v:

I also own a Holeshot Performance Suzuki Bandit and I honestly don't think there's many of these grandpa bikes that run mid 9's, maybe a few hundred at absolute most.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
I just bought this rare gem:

I think the specs indicate that there were less than 74 billion of these made in the rare green color, so basically it's time that the trophy be handed over to me for this thread...

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
While we're all babbling about options and other crap, I've owned two exceedingly rare M3s, both cars with basically no options. Speed cloth is rare as well, and every one of the cars that are configured for track duty rather than luxury were special order. Dealers make a bunch of money on that extra $20k in options.

Why suffer through another frigid California winter without heated seats or a satnav designed in 2007? Turns out on an industrial scale, the usual options (EDC, DCT, nav, electric seats, etc etc) add over 200lbs to the car.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
My old 1974 International Pickup was seemingly rather rare. The build sheet on it said it was number 25 of 29 and it was used in official IH literature about the 1974 trucks, but all in all a half-ton IH pickup wasn't terribly rare.

My 1970 Mercedes is one of 1,919,056 W114/5 chassis cars. Obviously not that rare at all in that regard but it is a coupe, specifically chassis code W114.023. There were only 10,527 of those made from 1969–1973. I guess ten-thousand cars sounds like a lot, but compared to 1.9 million it's really not, and in 1970 there were just 2425 W114.023 produced. Given that it has red paint, black interior, manual transmission, air conditioning and, stereo radio and crank windows, it's likely the only one like it.

My 1998 Integra Type-R is numbered 134, only 998 were made that year. In it's color, championship white, it's 1 of 1,318. In all years of production, it's 1 of 3823. Of the 3823 ever made ever; If you are looking for one that was never molested, never stolen, never turned into a track-rat race car, and still owned by the original purchaser? It might just be the only one left.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 19, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just wait a decade or so when all the little ricers form that period are going through a mid life crisis and you can let them fight over the ITR at auction. Then laugh all the way to the bank.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

leica posted:

Just wait a decade or so when all the little ricers form that period are going through a mid life crisis and you can let them fight over the ITR at auction. Then laugh all the way to the bank.

Somehow I think my money would have been better invested in a Roth IRA, but I can't drive a Roth IRA.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I have a '99 E36 M3 Convertible with a 5spd. Not all that rare in comparison to some of the cars people are posting but:

* Most E36 M3s made & sold were Sedan or Coupe
* At least half of the E36 M3 'verts made & sold were automatic transmissions

To top it off, my interior is in what seems to be a fairly unpopular color, a tan/sand colored leather.
Engine/mechanical/electrical bits are easy to find an replace.
Interior? Ha ha ha ha. I wish. The vast, vast majority of the E36 M3s I see have black or gray leather.

"Rare" as in valuable? Nah. "Rare" as in "I've only ever seen one other that looked like mine but it still had a different color interior"? Yep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

trouser chili posted:

My 1998 Integra Type-R is numbered 134, only 998 were made that year. In it's color, championship white, it's 1 of 1,318. In all years of production, it's 1 of 3823. Of the 3823 ever made ever; If you are looking for one that was never molested, never stolen, never turned into a track-rat race car, and still owned by the original purchaser? It might just be the only one left.

I'll find out where you live eventually.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rhyno posted:

I'll find out where you live eventually.

You can forget about using that plate. State gave me new ones, that's an old pic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

trouser chili posted:

You can forget about using that plate. State gave me new ones, that's an old pic.

Finding AI Goons isn't my thing, we all know who's going to track you down.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Octopus Magic posted:

Probably under the Porsche 959 clause.

They're eligible for 'show and display' as long as you go for the LHD Opel version: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/sdlist040109.pdf

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

trouser chili posted:

I had no idea you were the original owner. You very well may be the only original owner of a completely unmolested and unthrashed ITR.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I had no idea you were the original owner. You very well may be the only original owner of a completely unmolested and unthrashed ITR.

Well, we'll never know, because all the other ones got that way by not talking about it :v:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Until I saw that picture I thought the type-R's were all RHD? Where were they produced in LHD? Or are the Type-R's that you can get in LHD different from the ones you can import?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Integra Type R was sold in North America, which requires all cars sold to be LHD. Japan and UK are RHD obviously, and I guess the EU allows both to be registered, so they got the sweet RHD models (NSX, Accord and Civic, all of which I wanna say are RHD only). Who knows why the only ITR was offered in LHD.

I'm sure there are differences to JDM/EDM versions, but that's true of the base models, too (especially the Accord, which is three different cars depending what market you're in).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

The Integra Type R was sold in North America, which requires all cars sold to be LHD. Japan and UK are RHD obviously, and I guess the EU allows both to be registered, so they got the sweet RHD models (NSX, Accord and Civic, all of which I wanna say are RHD only). Who knows why the only ITR was offered in LHD.

I'm sure there are differences to JDM/EDM versions, but that's true of the base models, too (especially the Accord, which is three different cars depending what market you're in).
The nsx and euro accord and civic were all sold in lhd as acuras though.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
I guess my Renault Twingo 1.2 16v QuickShift-5 is pretty rare on AI, but I doubt it's very rare to the rest of the world. Millions of Twingos were sold worldwide, so I don't think it really qualifies. Also the QS5 sequential gearboxes aren't nearly as rare as the preceding 'Easy' clutchless manuals.

My previous car however was 1 of 47 Renault Safranes sold in 1991 over here. So I suppose that was a rare car in a way, especially considering the velour interior rather than leather and the fact that it was in metallic Persian red, which after the Champagne coloured phase-2 models is probably the rarest colour for the car to begin with. I'd love to have a Safrane again, preferably a phase-1 Baccara V6 Bi-Turbo, but those are flat out non-existent in Persian red, never mind that one in good condition is still a 30k euro car despite being 21 years old.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Powershift posted:

I beleive that quite literally the only reason the ITR was sold in the US was because RealTime racing wanted a competitive car for SCCA World Challenge Championships. Enough were built in 1997 to meet the homologation rules. A number were peeled off the production line and sent to RealTime, the rest sold at dealerships. The car was enough of a hit that Honda/Acura did a second larger run in 1998. Then nothing in 1999, then back for both 2000 and 2001 in Yellow or Black only.

The car was more than just competitive, it was completely dominant for six years in a row. From 1997 to 2002, the Integra Type-R sat at the top spot of the podium in SCCA World Challenge (TC class), and by that point it was so saddled with extra ballast weight and increasingly smaller diameter intake restrictors that it basically fell off the face of the racing earth in 2003.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 20, 2014

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Just 600 944 S2's left in the UK. That is however the most plentiful of the 944s apart from the baseline 2.5l engine model.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

Not the Type Rs, though, afaik.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

trouser chili posted:

From 1997 to 2002, the Integra Type-R sat at the top spot of the podium in SCCA World Challenge (TC class), and by that point it was so saddled with extra ballast weight and increasingly smaller diameter intake restrictors that it basically fell off the face of the racing earth in 2003.

That's some Harrison Bergeron poo poo right there

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I still say that Realtime livery is one of my all-time favorites.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

IOwnCalculus posted:

something is really off in the perspective of that picture, making the cars look like models. Or I am being an idiot and it is a picture of model cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Not the Type Rs, though, afaik.

They sell the badges here though, what's the big deal?

The euro accord-r was on the CH1 chassis, and had a 210hp@7100rpm /164ftlb@6700rpm(ooooh) H22A7 engine
The first gen TSX was on the CU1 chassis(the direct successor), and had a 205hp@7000rpm/164ftlb@4000rpm K24A2 engine that was also in the japanese accord type-S(that's one more than R)

The only truely unique type-R vehicle europe got was the EK9 civic type R, and the FN2 civic type R which went to a torsion beam rear axle so it poo anyways.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Rhyno posted:

No. I assure you I am not Zordon. I remember those times too. I didn't want to bring it up and scare people.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Wasn't there another AI poster who had a Delorean that wasn't Zordon or Panaflex? Or did you just get a new avatar and I am dumb?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

IOwnCalculus posted:

Really? Over Martini Porsche, over Silk Cut Jag purple + white, over JPS Lotus black and gold, over Gulf blue + Orange, you pick some white/neon red/orange? :smith:

I always thought it looked like amateur hour.

Edit, and the perspective isn't off on that photo, it's just that people really aren't used to seeing Group C style cars next to "normal" cars. We think those closed cockpit cars are so much bigger than they actually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Terrible Robot posted:

Wasn't there another AI poster who had a Delorean that wasn't Zordon or Panaflex? Or did you just get a new avatar and I am dumb?

There's a UK goon who talks about almost nothing else, however I think he drives a black taxi?

• Locked thread