Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I have a UZZ32 Toyota Soarer. They only made 872 of them, the 2nd shortest production run from Toyota.

Still nothing on some of the cars in this thread - but it's the best I can do :(. It has a unique suspension system though, which wikipedia claims is "the most advanced system ever fitted to a road car". (citation probably needed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

animeliker posted:

As far as I know it's the only road going car with a real active suspension.

I've never heard of an other car with a similar system. Most other cars with hudropneumatic suspension just seem to change their damping rates. But that's quite a claim to make - I hope it's true!

It's an amazing system, but I can see why it was never carried on.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

Is this a discussion about TEMS? Because that's all TEMS does (change the damping rate) which was quite advanced for it's time, but certainly not unique these days.

It's a different system to TEMS, which was fitted to many similar models around that time (and probably still is). This system replaced conventional suspension with hydraulic cylinders in each strut, a high pressure pump and a valve body. A nitrogen cylinder was attached to each strut to absorb bumps. There are no conventional springs. The system is fully computer controlled and able to move each suspension strut to anywhere in it's travel almost instantly. The car has zero body roll in corners (within operational limits). The car is constantly making height adjustments to the 4 wheels. The system is paired with an active 4-wheel steer system which steers the rear wheels as-and-when it chooses to 'assist' you :raise:. Here's a link to a teardown of a strut. Here's a rather dull technical document on the system which seems to mainly focus on the 4WS. There's plenty more info on google.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

Woah....that's pretty cool. But is also seems ridiculously over engineered when you can get pretty much the same result with a gyro and hydraulic sway bar end links (like ACE on Land Rovers) paired up with some kind of adjustable shocks like TEMS.

I own another Soarer with Supra Mk4 struts/springs and uprated swaybars. The difference in ride is noticable, but the Active model isn't so much batter that it's worth the maintenance costs ($300 for a reseal kit per strut, $100 for a gallon of suspension fluid which needs to be changed every year/10k) or the power loss (that pump really sucks the power).

Hilariously, when trying to pull away quickly, the car will notice the back end squatting, and will pump up the rear struts to compensate, robbing engine power when you want it more. The system as a whole definitely isn't 'worth it', but I still plan to keep the car forever. It was obviously a crazy/quirky technology experiment which never survived outside of that niche model. I guess the 8mil yen price tag in 1991 didn't help either.

I don't know where or if it fits in on the 'rarest car' criteria posted above. It was never meant as a special edition or limited run (they were built to order), but they have built up quite a cult following in the UK/Aus, so much so that there's a list of where most of them are online.

animeliker posted:

When active suspensions were allowed in F1 (They first appeared in 1987 I believe on the Lotus 100T, prototypes may have existed before in other cars) they were similar to what that Soarer had, and were very obviously superior to conventional suspensions. What I don't understand is why it didn't appear on a sports car - the JZA80 Supra (same platform) or SW MR2 (with some re-engineering) would be a good candidates.

The system added a lot of weight and robbed a lot of horsepower. It's also more soft and 'floaty' and doesn't give much feedback to the driver, even thought it tightens up and feels more planted when in a corner. I'm more surprised that it never made it into the LS400. The Soarer (and SC) was a bit of a oddball, literally halfway between a Supra (the Mk4 Supra was based on it) and a LS400.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 13, 2014

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

GramCracker posted:

Cactus Green

:drat: that's an awesome color. That looks sexy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Data Graham posted:

This probably doesn't count as "rare", but

Also a couple of ST185s.

I should probably know what this is but I have no idea. I do, however, know that it looks sexy as gently caress and I want one.

• Locked thread