Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

On one hand, I drive an ordinary mass-market sedan in the most common color there is (silver). Tons of Peugeot 406s are still on the road a decade after production stopped, mostly because a shitload of them were built. So not rare at all.

On the other hand, firstly it's got an engine option (2.2L, second-gen only) that not a lot of people chose. The only reason for buying it new over a V6 was a slight price advantage. It gets less power for roughly the same fuel economy.

Secondly, my car is a mid-facelift model, so it's got a hodgepodge of first-gen (D8) and second-gen (D9) parts. The design is all D9, but stuff like the steering column stalks are lifted straight from a D8. The electrics are multiplexed, same as on a D9, except they aren't really. So when you hook it up to the Peugeot diagnostic tool, half of the stuff responds to D9 commands and the other half responds to D8 commands. It seems to be random whether the VIN will show as a D8 or D9 model, which is extra fun because the engine code for my car doesn't even exist for the D8.

Does that make it rare? I don't know, but I hope Peugeot didn't produce too many weirdass interim models.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

It's a different system to TEMS, which was fitted to many similar models around that time (and probably still is). This system replaced conventional suspension with hydraulic cylinders in each strut, a high pressure pump and a valve body. A nitrogen cylinder was attached to each strut to absorb bumps. There are no conventional springs. The system is fully computer controlled and able to move each suspension strut to anywhere in it's travel almost instantly. The car has zero body roll in corners (within operational limits). The car is constantly making height adjustments to the 4 wheels.

That sounds a lot like the hydractive setup on the Citroen XM, which was introduced 2 years before the Z30 generation Soarer.

The later and lighter Xantia with the improved Activa setup famously out handled a Porsche 911 996 GT2 in the Swedish moose test.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 13, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I propose that it must have been in limited production somehow.

One-off customs shouldn't count, and neither should oddball option combinations on an otherwise common model.

An STI 22B counts, but poo poo like a Honda Fit with a special interior option shouldn't.

E: Or if you have something that's rare because very few are left despite being mass-produced, that's good too.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 13, 2014

• Locked thread