Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I've never heard of an other car with a similar system. Most other cars with hudropneumatic suspension just seem to change their damping rates. But that's quite a claim to make - I hope it's true!

It's an amazing system, but I can see why it was never carried on.

Is this a discussion about TEMS? Because that's all TEMS does (change the damping rate) which was quite advanced for it's time, but certainly not unique these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

It's a different system to TEMS, which was fitted to many similar models around that time (and probably still is). This system replaced conventional suspension with hydraulic cylinders in each strut, a high pressure pump and a valve body. A nitrogen cylinder was attached to each strut to absorb bumps. There are no conventional springs. The system is fully computer controlled and able to move each suspension strut to anywhere in it's travel almost instantly. The car has zero body roll in corners (within operational limits). The car is constantly making height adjustments to the 4 wheels. The system is paired with an active 4-wheel steer system which steers the rear wheels as-and-when it chooses to 'assist' you :raise:. Here's a link to a teardown of a strut. Here's a rather dull technical document on the system which seems to mainly focus on the 4WS. There's plenty more info on google.

Woah....that's pretty cool. But is also seems ridiculously over engineered when you can get pretty much the same result with a gyro and hydraulic sway bar end links (like ACE on Land Rovers) paired up with some kind of adjustable shocks like TEMS.

• Locked thread