Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:
here's mine

on some Ford E150 vans (mine's a 2007), they use E250 front calipers, which are larger and take larger pads, so pull a pad and bring it to the auto parts store to compare (rather than accusing internet sellers of ripping you off by selling you the wrong poo poo).

The caliper is also held on by a Torx T45, which may be specific to the E250 caliper, and save you the trouble of carrying a grimy pad to the store...all the videos I watched for the E150 had the calipers held on by hex head bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frkzd
Jun 9, 2014
2007 Pontiac G5's (and other models) have had seven recalls linked directly to a dozen fatalities. I realize this four (?) years after buying one.

Crankshaft Sensor causes problems like clockwork. I've "fixed" it twice, meaning I paid someone who knew more than me to do something I didn't understand. Stars again about the same time every year, in the fall, before the cold.

Car wants to die when stopping, turning, changing gears, etc. The odometer fails, and in some rare cases it was to randomly rev up in 3rd gear while parked or braking.

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread 'cause it reminds me to call about getting out of or discounts on payments in light of the recalls (the most recent one this April). I'm probably screwed with the POS but it's worth a shot...

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
anything french

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Ford truck brakes irritate me too. My 99 Expedition has 10mm hex bolts holding the rear calipers on, and torx on the front. :iiam:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Anything Volkswagen circa 1967. I seem to recall theres some Jetta with a 1.8T or maybe 2.0T that the thermostat requires some stupid loving combination of bolts and sockets to get out, like 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 13mm, 16mm, 17mm, T15, T20, T25 and a couple others. STANDARDISE YOUR poo poo

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

13 INCH DICK posted:

Anything Volkswagen circa 1967. I seem to recall theres some Jetta with a 1.8T or maybe 2.0T that the thermostat requires some stupid loving combination of bolts and sockets to get out, like 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 13mm, 16mm, 17mm, T15, T20, T25 and a couple others. STANDARDISE YOUR poo poo

Eh, I can remove the entire front clip of my 90's Passat with a 10mm socket... but this is pretty much a requirement if you're trying to replace the thermostat.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
My Cougar cannot and will not maintain either consistent oil pressure or idle speed when stopped at a stop light, and I'm running out of things to test.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

At least when I had my 96 Civic EX coupe, without ABS, it was a PITA to get brake parts for it. Apparently most of the 96s had ABS? And apparently the ABS-equipped models came with different parts.

They always handed me brake pads and rotors that were much smaller than what was actually on the car, no matter which parts store I went to. Honda apparently also used different pads/rotors depending if you had a hatch, coupe, or sedan... and depending if it was DX, LX, EX, HX, CX... and depending if it had ABS, and automatic or manual also made a difference. :wtc: Honda

Looking at Rockauto now for brake options for a 96 Civic gives these gems:

CX - NON-ABS - HATCHBACK DX - NON-ABS - HATCHBACK - SEDAN EX - LX - 4-WHEEL ABS - SEDAN - w/MAN TRANS LX - NON-ABS - SEDAN; DX Model

COUPE DX,HX SEDAN DX,LX w/o ABS & LX w/ABS,MAN TRANS HATCHBACK; DX Model

4 DR w/ABS & w/MAN TRANS; DX Model

2 DR - Except EX - 3 DR ABS & MAN TRANS - LX 4 DR 4 DR

SEDAN LX w/ABS MAN TRANS,LX w/o ABS or DX COUPE DX,HX HATCHBACK

Coupe; Sedan; Automatic trans.; Standard trans.; EX Model; LX Model (completely wrong, these differ by trans, body style, and ABS/non ABS)

EX - COUPE - SEDAN LX - 4-WHEEL ABS - SEDAN - w/AUTO TRANS; DX Model

w/4 Wheel Disc brakes; DX Model (when the gently caress did DX's ever come with 4 wheel disc?!)

SEDAN LX w/ABS MAN TRANS,LX w/o ABS or DX COUPE DX,HX HATCHBACK; DX Model

Hondas are like legos.... until it comes to the brakes. It was always a clusterfuck trying to get brake parts.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Toyota S series engines have 10 or so small, 6 point, 10mm bolts holding the water pump on. And one (1) small, counter-sunk Philips head screw. This screw will inevitably strip because it is small and made of cheese, at which point you get to try and extract it in a 5 inch wide space between the frame-rail and the engine or just pull the whole loving engine to get at that one stupid goddamn screw.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The front brakes on my Peugeot have pentagon-headed bolts holding the two parts of the caliper together.

The rear brakes, which are the exact same caliper only with a handbrake mechanism added, use normal hex bolts.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Which Peugeot is that?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

205 GTI

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The goddamn Germans and their love of strange fasteners. I figured my kit of oddball sockets and tools I had for the BMW would be fine when I bought an Audi. No such luck. loving triple square everywhere, TRIPLE SQUARE. 12 point hex thrown in randomly alongside torx and who knows what else.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

8ender posted:

The goddamn Germans and their love of strange fasteners. I figured my kit of oddball sockets and tools I had for the BMW would be fine when I bought an Audi. No such luck. loving triple square everywhere, TRIPLE SQUARE. 12 point hex thrown in randomly alongside torx and who knows what else.

I love triple square fasteners but yeah Audi does use a ridiculous number of different fastener types. Torx, Allen, 6pt/12pt hex, XZN, reverse torx.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Everything should be torx and reverse torx. I love them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Brain Issues posted:

I love triple square fasteners but yeah Audi does use a ridiculous number of different fastener types. Torx, Allen, 6pt/12pt hex, XZN, reverse torx.

Not only that, but even standard 6pt bolts, de Germans love to mix sizes. In any random job on my BMW, I'll use some combination of 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm and 13mm. Whereas a loving Honda can be stripped to the bones with one 10mm socket, okay, maybe an 8mm, too.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I like the XZN (triple square) fasteners but I worry about how well they'll do against rust. Those little splines could turn to dust when rusted.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I have a 20 year old audi that has triple square bolts holding the axles on, no rust problems yet.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Frkzd posted:

2007 Pontiac G5's (and other models) have had seven recalls linked directly to a dozen fatalities. I realize this four (?) years after buying one.

Crankshaft Sensor causes problems like clockwork. I've "fixed" it twice, meaning I paid someone who knew more than me to do something I didn't understand. Stars again about the same time every year, in the fall, before the cold.

Car wants to die when stopping, turning, changing gears, etc. The odometer fails, and in some rare cases it was to randomly rev up in 3rd gear while parked or braking.

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread 'cause it reminds me to call about getting out of or discounts on payments in light of the recalls (the most recent one this April). I'm probably screwed with the POS but it's worth a shot...

Just wait until you get around 100K and the timing chain guides let go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYAKA2iQUdc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I thought it was the tensioner that let go?

The tensioner is an incredibly easy fix that doesn't even require removing the valve cover; it screws into the block just behind the timing chain cover. The hardest part is removing the old one intact...

• Locked thread