Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

At least when I had my 96 Civic EX coupe, without ABS, it was a PITA to get brake parts for it. Apparently most of the 96s had ABS? And apparently the ABS-equipped models came with different parts.

They always handed me brake pads and rotors that were much smaller than what was actually on the car, no matter which parts store I went to. Honda apparently also used different pads/rotors depending if you had a hatch, coupe, or sedan... and depending if it was DX, LX, EX, HX, CX... and depending if it had ABS, and automatic or manual also made a difference. :wtc: Honda

Looking at Rockauto now for brake options for a 96 Civic gives these gems:

CX - NON-ABS - HATCHBACK DX - NON-ABS - HATCHBACK - SEDAN EX - LX - 4-WHEEL ABS - SEDAN - w/MAN TRANS LX - NON-ABS - SEDAN; DX Model

COUPE DX,HX SEDAN DX,LX w/o ABS & LX w/ABS,MAN TRANS HATCHBACK; DX Model

4 DR w/ABS & w/MAN TRANS; DX Model

2 DR - Except EX - 3 DR ABS & MAN TRANS - LX 4 DR 4 DR

SEDAN LX w/ABS MAN TRANS,LX w/o ABS or DX COUPE DX,HX HATCHBACK

Coupe; Sedan; Automatic trans.; Standard trans.; EX Model; LX Model (completely wrong, these differ by trans, body style, and ABS/non ABS)

EX - COUPE - SEDAN LX - 4-WHEEL ABS - SEDAN - w/AUTO TRANS; DX Model

w/4 Wheel Disc brakes; DX Model (when the gently caress did DX's ever come with 4 wheel disc?!)

SEDAN LX w/ABS MAN TRANS,LX w/o ABS or DX COUPE DX,HX HATCHBACK; DX Model

Hondas are like legos.... until it comes to the brakes. It was always a clusterfuck trying to get brake parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I thought it was the tensioner that let go?

The tensioner is an incredibly easy fix that doesn't even require removing the valve cover; it screws into the block just behind the timing chain cover. The hardest part is removing the old one intact...

• Locked thread