Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Emanuel Collective posted:

Bears:

Rd 1 - #14(14) Kyle Fuller (CB) Va Tech: B. The Bears desperately needed a young guy in the secondary, and Fuller was probably the second-best guy available. I doubt he'll be anywhere as good as Tillman, but he should be a good replacement for Tim Jennings. Was going to give them a B- because Darqueze Dennard was available, but the run on DBs after this pick made this much wiser in retrospect

Rd 2 - #19(51) Ego Ferguson (DT) LSU: C-. The Bears also desperately needed young linemen, though they can afford to take fliers on projects for a year or two. Ferguson is definitely a project: only started one year in college, was a highly recruited guy coming out of high school, and is athletic. But None of his combine numbers really jumped out at me, and he's been criticized for getting blown off the line of scrimmage at times-the last thing the Bears D-Line needs. Louis Nix was available. And this pick makes a hell of a lot less sense given:

Rd 3 - #18(82) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St: A. Would have loved even had they taken him in the second round. There's a very good chance he winds up the best player out of this Bears draft class. There's also a very good chance he starts this year, given Jay Ratliff's health.

Rd 4 - #17(117) Ka'Deem Carey (RB) Arizona: B-. I liked Carey in college but I had no idea how abysmal his combine results were. But he's a good receiver and has good lateral speed, so he'll be a solid fit in Emery's offense. I doubt he can be the short yardage back the Bears really need, but I don't know if there were any guys like that left at this point in the draft.

Rd 4 - #31(131) Brock Vereen (S) Minnesota. A-. While the safety class had a big drop off after the first few picks, Vereen was probably the best of the rest. Another really good value pick. No idea if he can play free safety though, which is where he's most likely to play this year. Probably can't be worse than Chris Conte or Major Wright.

Rd 6 - #7(183) David Fales (QB) San Jose St: B+. Fales has a weak babby arm and tends to lob the ball, but he's got great accuracy and timing on short and medium throws. In other words, he's perfect for Emery's system. Don't be surprised if Fales has a few good games subbing in for Cutler and sparks another dumb QB controversy

Rd 6 - #15(191) Pat O'Donnell (P) Miami: A. Yeah yeah, its a cardinal rule that you shouldn't draft punters. But O'Donnell is a freak: ran a faster 40 than Carey, had nearly as many reps as Ferguson, and most importantly, averaged over 47 yards on punts last year. An immediate upgrade over Podelesh and should be the Bears punter for years.

Rd 7 - #31(246) Charles Leno (OT) Boise St: A. Great value, no idea why he fell this far. The Bears O-line really needs more depth, and Leno can play guard and tackle.

Overall: B+. The Bears got players at all the positions they needed, capitalized on a lot of late round picks, and Phil Emery made only one patented head scratcher of a selection. Only thing missing was a kick returner.

I'd agree on the overall grade with a few points-

1) Charles Tillman may be the best corner in Bears history, so Fuller's ceiling being below Tillman's doesn't mean much. I agree with the message the team is also putting out that they don't expect Tillman to stay healthy all year. Football Name Grade: C, very generic.

2) National guys all seems to feel Ego was a day-3 guy, while local WSCR guys all seemed to think he was a 2nd-3rd rounder, so I'm not sure what's causing the split. I thought Nix was seen more as a 3-4 guy though? Name Grade: D, far too unique for a lineman.

3) Name Grade: B+, not too flashy, but Sutton feels like the last name of a strong person.

4) Ka'Deem Carey: Wish there was a clearer picture on his receiving skills, as that's what's going to make him useful in an offense that really needs its TE and RB to catch passes. Name grade: D. Running Backs need plain names, and the opportunity for Carey/Carry puns is far too dangerous.

5) Name Grade: A+. Brock Vereen is such a football name I assume he was born with CTE.

6) Another thing that lets Fales work is that you can be a little lob-y when your wideouts are jump up and get it guys like Marshall and Jeffrey. They don't expect to catch a lot of things in stride. Name Grade: B. QBs are allowed pun names, and Fales/Fails has some legs.

7) Name Grade: C. Pat O'Donnell feels like a good football name, but not a good punter/kicker name. Punters need a name that make you sigh with an extra bit of failure when they come out, O'Donnell doesn't do that for me.

8) Name Grade: B-. Leno jokes aside, seems like short names fit big o-linemen.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Groucho Marxist posted:

ok just confirming your Strong Opinion on dee ford is based on never watching him play or anything

It also means we're cutting Hali to re-sign Smith which is bullshit so gently caress that pick regardless

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Parmesan Basil posted:

It also means we're cutting Hali to re-sign Smith which is bullshit so gently caress that pick regardless
Hali being on the chopping block doesn't have much to do with Alex Smith. Sorry dude, but Scott Pioli and Matt Cassel wasted away his prime years.

I'd give the Chiefs draft a flat C.

With how much the roster was gutted back in March and the lack of FA signings, I don't think the best plan was to draft football mans that aren't going to contribute much right away. No actual WR's being drafted at all in a deep class really sticks out as a not good thing.

They picked some good players though and it's always good to pick good players so cool.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Roasted Donut posted:

Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona

CB was the Steelers biggest need and it sucks that it wasn't addressed until this late but organizationally they just don't give a poo poo about CBs so whatever. I guess he's ok, decent size, was pretty good at times in college but also pretty bad at times. Would have really liked to see CB addressed earlier (DENNARD) and more often, but it'll have to do. Also this dude stole purses and got kicked out of UCLA so he's really cool

I agree with most of your post. A lot of players picked seemed to be guys that one of the positional coaches or coordinators really liked. In Richardson's case, apparently UCLA recruited him in the first place because of Lake's recommendation, and he was a guy that Lake really wanted.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Nibbler posted:

Just to follow up on a few things... they resigned Rice for this year for cheap. Also I highly doubt Kearse is going anywhere.. he did well at the end of the season, not sure what you saw.

They confirmed Pierre-Louis will play Will and Staten 5T.

I agree with Britt being a reach... Cable's O-line picks have been dubious. Schneider basically said that they felt the drop off at the T position was huge compared to other positions at that point and they obviously felt they needed to make a move. He'll compete with Bowie at RT to start.

Ah, for some reason I never heard about them re-signing Rice.

My opinion of Kearse is that he started out good because teams were ignoring him and focusing on the other receivers. Teams started keying in on him about mid-season and his production dropped way off. Then teams started ignoring him again and his production started improving. It's not a bad thing having things go that way, but it's not a sign of a good player either.

I get there explanation for Britt, but yeah... too early for that guy.

oschesar
Apr 22, 2006

Pain or damage don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. -Al Swearengen
Shiny Globule

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Not sure how he projects to the pros but Trey Millard was really great at Oklahoma. A truly complete offensive player. Great lead blocker, pass protector, pass catcher, and a pretty solid rusher too. He could be a really nice late round pick for San Francisco.

This is probably his most recognizable play while at OU. It was just against Mack Brown's Texas, but still good balance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaBoHB7Y74A&t=25s

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

LiquidFriend posted:

Hali being on the chopping block doesn't have much to do with Alex Smith. Sorry dude, but Scott Pioli and Matt Cassel wasted away his prime years.

I'd give the Chiefs draft a flat C.

With how much the roster was gutted back in March and the lack of FA signings, I don't think the best plan was to draft football mans that aren't going to contribute much right away. No actual WR's being drafted at all in a deep class really sticks out as a not good thing.

They picked some good players though and it's always good to pick good players so cool.

Welcome to the AFC West basement boys :smug:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'll give Arizona's draft a ridiculously early draft grade of B. It wasn't sexy at all, but I feel they drafted pretty well. Logan Thomas of course is the big WTF moment, but I mentioned in a different post, if BA can have 2 years to work with the kid it might really pay off. Not a bad gamble with a 4th round pick. The guy could turn into a QB like Big Ben or Cam (ooooooh CAM)

I will say I really like that 2nd round pick of Troy Niklas. It's no secret BA likes big TE's and I think he's going to be a great fit. If AZ can get that running game going it opens up the deep ball for Palmer. Arizona has a lot of potential right now, I hope BA can pull it all together and get everyone to execute.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Detroit Lions:

Eric Ebron, TE

A+, talented guy whose drop problems won't be as bad in the pros.

Kyle Van Noy, OLB

A+, cool guy whose lack of clear strength won't be an issue in the pros.

Travis Swanson, C

A+, future successor of Dominic Raiola whose tendency to get bowled over will be fixed in the pros.

Nevin Lawson, CB

A+, small guy when our new DC prefers large corners, so going against his philosophy must prove that he's got something planned.

Larry Webster, DE

A+, I don't know much about him but why not.

Caraun Reid, DT

A+, pure perfection and future Hall of Famer. Will leave fans saying, "Ndamukong WHO?" in a few years.

T.J. Jones, WR

A+, not a safety but that's fine, perfectly fine.

Nate Freese, K

A+, Jason Hanson's successor.

If draft day is the best part of the Lions season, then there's a large margin for future error. :D

A+ Would do again A+++++++++++++++++

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

Welcome to the AFC West basement boys :smug:
The Chiefs are still a better team than the Raiders when it comes to established talent (and when it comes to Schuab, he's one guy where I can comfortably say that Alex Smith is a better QB). I mean hey if all of those signings and draft picks for the Raiders somehow all work out, than yeah it's certainly possible.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 11, 2014

coco bryce
Jun 23, 2007
I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness.

HappyHelmet posted:

Ah, for some reason I never heard about them re-signing Rice.

My opinion of Kearse is that he started out good because teams were ignoring him and focusing on the other receivers. Teams started keying in on him about mid-season and his production dropped way off. Then teams started ignoring him again and his production started improving. It's not a bad thing having things go that way, but it's not a sign of a good player either.

I get there explanation for Britt, but yeah... too early for that guy.

I agree that he's not a long-term solution, but Kearse is too cheap & (relatively) experienced to get rid of. Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Rice (?), Richardson, Norwood. They have space of him.

League interest in Rice was so lukewarm that I have to worry about his health.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Chicago Bears

14 - Kyle Fuller. Trust in Phil Emery. B+

51 - Ego Ferguson. He does not pick players. C+

82 - Will Sutton. These players have already been preordained to him. A-

117 - Ka'Deem Carey. He has lived through this draft a thousand times before. B

131 - Brock Vareen. Every time, the same outcome. A-

183 - David Fales. The concept of "the pick" implies the concept of free choice. B-

191 - Pat O'Donnell. By making a pick, you are only affirming the path that the universe has laid before you. A-

246 - Charles Leno. Phil Emery sees through the veil. Phil Emery exists on a different plane of thought than the rest of you. C

Overall - Every year, the same charade. The rest of you dwell on what has happened. Phil Emery is already looking to what will be. Phil Emery has already seen the next draft, and the draft after that, and the draft after that, and the draft after that. Some day you may understand what has happened on this day, and what the future holds. But I doubt it.

B.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Grading/ranking all the drafts because why not

1. St Louis Rams: A+ It had a little bit of everything: great talent, great value, comedy Garrett Gilbert, and gay love.
2. New York Jets: A Love their first two picks, and volume.
3. Minnesota Vikings: A Two good value first rounders, and sheer volume of picks.
4. San Francisco 49ers: A Only below Jets and Vikings because they picked later
5. Houston Texans: A They'd have had the best draft if only Bridgewater had fallen one more spot. Penalized for going with Savage.
6. Green Bay Packers: A-
7. Cleveland Browns: A- Feels weird to type.
8. Denver Broncos: B+
9. Atlanta Falcons: B
10. Oakland Raiders: B
11. Philadelphia Steelers: B
12. Baltimore Ravens: B

13. Seattle Seahawks: B- I'd be lying if I was excited about this draft, but watch this be an insane class 5 years from now because Seahawks
14. Chicago Bears: B-
15. New Orleans Saints: B-
16. Kansas City Chiefs: B-
17. San Diego Chargers: B-

18. Washington Redskins: C+ Hard to have a good draft with no first rounders
19. New York Giants: C+
20. Buffalo Bills: C+

21. Dallas Cowboys: C+ Who needs a safety?
22. Carolina Panthers: C+ Kelvin Benjamin is not their answer at WR. Would be lower if they didn't get a steal with Kony
23. Philadelphia Eagles: C Reached too early for Marcus Smith
24. Cincinnati Bengals: C
25. Arizona Cardinals: C
26. Miami Dolphins: C
27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: C
28. Tennessee Titans: C-
29. Jacksonville Jaguars: C-
They hit one of their first 3 picks, Marqise Lee. Otherwise, an uninspired draft. Aaron Colvin's cool.
30. New England Patriots: C- Boosted from a D- because of sheer volume of picks.
31. Detroit Lions: D Hate Ebron, and they also needed a safety
32. Indianapolis Colts: D lol Trent Richardson. Not an F because I love Donte Moncrief

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bears signed a dude named Ego, a quarterback named Fales, a guy who allegedly attacked his pregnant girlfriend, and a hulking punter out of Tecmo Super Bowl. gently caress yeah.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Bears signed a dude named Ego, a quarterback named Fales, a guy who allegedly attacked his pregnant girlfriend, and a hulking punter out of Tecmo Super Bowl. gently caress yeah.

Carey attacked his girlfriend I'm assuming?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NC-17 posted:

Patriots
And I'm really not sure why they needed to draft another running back, other than they don't want to pay Ridley or Vereen in the future.

They lost Blount so they wanted to add another guy.

Of course, this guy's small, elusive and supposed to be a good pass protection guy, which is the opposite of Blount, but hey, who knows, maybe he's another Kevin Faulk.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I don't do grades year-of, here are my reactions

1.1) Jadeveon Clowney, DE/OLB South Carolina
Thank goodness the Texans made the right choice. Whether he lives up to his billing or not, this is the right move at this pick. He more than anyone else in this draft has the chance to be something really special. Love this pick

2.1) Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG UCLA
After Bridgewater was snapped away I was worried about what the Texans would do with this pick, glad they didn't panic and go QB with Carr or something here. Really like this pick, fills a need with a player I wouldn't expect to be available here

3.1) CJ Fiedorowicz, TE Iowa
At the risk of being probated for not liking an Iowa player being taken, I don't get this pick at all. The Texans just extended Garrett Graham and have Ryan Harris as the #2 guy, this appears to be a blocking tight end who isn't able to get open well or use his size to his advantage once he has the ball. Maybe he can be coached up, but this seems like a luxury style pick for a team that has a lot of holes, of which TE is not one. It almost feels like a panic move when the Pats unexpectedly took Garropolo. Sorry, O'Brien, just because he's big and has a vaguely Jewish sounding name doesn't make him Gronkowski

3.19) Louis Nix, NT Notre Dame
Love this pick so much. Wanted him at the top of the 2nd round, getting him here is just so much better. The Texans finally have a NT who fits the position instead of popping in an Earl Mitchell or Shaun Cody peg round peg into a square hole. Hopefully his knees hold up, there's some risk, but he will be worth taking a risk on IMO

4.35) Tom Savage, QB Pitt
Ugh, I don't know about this one. All the physical gifts in the world, but who knows if he can put them together? I know O'Brien is supposedly this QB guru, but having at least a starting point would have been nice. You had McCarron and Mettenberger still on the board here, or better yet you could just roll with Keenum/Fitzpatrick/Yates, either route would have been preferable to me. Just because his name is Tom and he has a good QB name doesn't mean he's going to be Tom Brady, Bill! Will undoubtedly sit on the bench this year, and if the staff can actually mold him then this has potential, but I have a feeling we'll be picking another QB or trading for someone's backup in a year or two

6.1) Jeoffrey Pagan, DE Alabama
A need position here since Jared Crick hasn't shown anything special so far, this late in the draft I don't imagine this'll be much more than depth. Don't know much about him, but reports I've read indicate he's pretty much a space eater who'll occupy blockers and get some push and little more than that. Probably just a depth guy who'll spell whoever the starter is. If he ends up in that role, not a bad outcome for a guy this late in the draft

6.5) Alfred Blue, RB LSU
He's a guy? I guess they didn't want to roll into the season with Andre Brown as the primary backup. Dennis Johnson is gone I guess.

6.35) Jay Prosch, FB Auburn
Not a flashy pick, but I like it. Don't have much more to say about it

7.1) Andre Hal, CB Vanderbilt
Nothing to say about this guy really. Wish they had taken Antonio Richardson or Shayne Skov or Yawin Smallwood here

7.41) Lonnie Ballentine, DB Memphis
A big guy, Mr Irrelevant, not much else to say here

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Intruder posted:

2.1) Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG UCLA
After Bridgewater was snapped away I was worried about what the Texans would do with this pick, glad they didn't panic and go QB with Carr or something here. Really like this pick, fills a need with a player I wouldn't expect to be available here

How angry would you be if Savage was the plan all along, and they didn't take Teddy if he was there in round 2?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Chargers get an A+ in my book for picking what they should have picked in the first round for two years running. It's like our FO isn't stupid or something!

(I don't know anything about CFB so I can't really grade any picks sorry :shobon:)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Coldforge posted:

How angry would you be if Savage was the plan all along, and they didn't take Teddy if he was there in round 2?

Very. But I think Garropolo was the plan at 3.1 and the Patriots surprised them into taking a big TE

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Draft grades this early are a little silly so I'll just comment:

Round 1 28 overall Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida St
This was a polarising pick for a lot of people. Most weren't big fans, even ardent Panthers fans. I love this pick for the team in its current incarnation. The Panthers have got plenty of short area receivers on the roster who'll be able to do that job effectively. What they were lacking was a redzone target who could get deep and help with chunk yardage plays. Yeah he's inconsistent and inexperienced but the coaches believe he's good enough at this stage to at least stop the opposition from stacking the box and to contribute in some measure, even if not as a true number one. Probably won't know how good he'll be till 2015 but I like the pick.

Round 2 Kony Ealy DE Missouri
I still think he was a first round talent and that teams mainly weren't high on his attitude. I think we took pretty much the same type of player as Greg Hardy currently gives the team. If he buckles down and works he could be part of what becomes a truly special front seven. Long term he gives the team some insurance should they be unable to re-sign Hardy next year. Gettleman mentioned using him inside in some packages. He (gettleman) very much seems to want to emulate what the Giants did with their devensive line.

Trai Turner G LSU
Not much to say really, he's a guard, his pass blocking needs some work but he is a strong run blocker. Sounds like every other guard coming out the past decade. Should be a decent swing contributor, biggest asset I suppose is he's fast for an offensive lineman and athletic enough to kick out which carolina LOVES to do. Kugbila and Silatolu are slated to start if Wharton retires, but I get the feeling Turner might supplant them both if he lives up to his scouting report.

Tre Boston SS North Carolina
I fuckin' hated this pick there were other guys there who could've contributed more to the secondary. He's a listed as a SS but he's a bit of a tweener, Rivera seems to like this type of player though, he polished some turds last year who came in as UDFA safeties and big corners into players. I'm going to guess they know what they're doing since the college is just down the road from the scouts, but I still thought it was a bit of a waste.

Bene Benwikere CB San Jose St
The Panthers seemed very high on this kid (they traded up to get him) and I can understand why. He's one of those prospects who can play any secondary position (and has) and is capable of reading the offense very quickly, one of those "always around the ball", "team first" dudes that coaches jerk off over. This one is likely a Rivera pick as he loves him some versatile DBs who seem to do well despite not having marquee triangle numbers. His poor tackling is a bit of a worry but from all reports he's very much a coachable player who'd benefit from a scheme that can cover his weaknesses.

Tyler Gaffney RB Stanford
Seems like an unusual pick in a backfield that already features Tolbert, Stewart, Williams and Kenjon Barner but I've got a bit of a man crush on this dude. He's a smart two sport athlete who despite being listed in scouting reports as stiff and not quick at changing directions had the 2nd best cone drill and a top 5 short shuttle drill. He's pretty quick in a straight line too 4.49 40. For a guy his size who can both catch and pass protect I can't really find a reason why he graded so low, I guess it's that lack of one or two exceptional traits. He strikes me as one of those odd players who just finds a way to stick with teams and eventually ends up a feature back.

The team is probably wanting insurance in case Stewart can't stay healthy and I think Gettleman wants out of those running back contracts as soon as possible.

Who knows, he'll probably suck and end up cut in the first round of cuts.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Intruder posted:

7.1) Andre Hal, CB Vanderbilt
Nothing to say about this guy really. Wish they had taken Antonio Richardson or Shayne Skov or Yawin Smallwood here
Andre Hal is a good pick, he shut down Moncrief and held Evans to two catches with an INT

http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/4/17/5623640/the-film-room-why-vanderbilts-andre-hal-is-the-best-corner-in-the

This was written a month ago btw

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
So I see several people have commented about grades being silly. I'd like to point to the OP

quote:

Since an objective grade would be pointless, grades should reflect your own personal reaction to your team's (probably bad) choices.

Feel free not to grade, but the ones you see shouldn't be interpreted as grades of the players; instead they're representative of how that person feels about the pick.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I have never heard of any attitude problems from Kony (aside from invisible children)

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Coldforge posted:

Feel free not to grade, but the ones you see shouldn't be interpreted as grades of the players; instead they're representative of how that person feels about the pick.

Exactly. Brent Urban is a really good scheme fit and works well as someone who could grow into Canty's role as he drifts out of the league or he could be garbage. Regardless of all that I felt the foundations of my mind cracking when the Ravens drafted another loving linemen. Thus:

F-

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jets had a ton of picks and I don't feel like going over them all (especially when I don't know anything about most of them) so just the first three rounds:

Calvin Pryor, 18th overall, B+
He's an undeniably talented safety, and the first one taken off the board, but I just don't like his style. He seems like a headhunter to me and I just know that's gonna hurt us a lot when he's extending drives with dumb 15-yard penalties.

Jace Amaro, 49th overall A-
Basically a receiver, which is exactly what we needed. I'm probably just a little low on this pick after arguing the entire off-season that he wasn't worth a first.

Dexter McDougle, 80th overall, C-
This guy is a small corner coming off a season ending injury. I don't like it.

Overall I'm feeling good about this draft; I'm also feeling confident that it's significantly better than the drafts the rest of the AFC East had.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Bortluars

I know the joke of the moment is "LOL Bortle Kombat" (QB, UCF - 3), but my gut reaction is to be defensive about the comparisons to Gabbert (Bortles had more passing yards in fewer attempts, higher adjusted yards per attempt and completion percentage, much better TD/Int ratio, etc, etc) . We're still dealing with the after effects of the Gene Smith era here, and I don't have to talk myself into this pick as much as I did with Gabbert. Hopefully we don't see him before Week 12, or if possible 2015 as he definitely needs some work from what you can see on DraftBreakdown. I thought for sure they would pick Khalil Mack here. At least we didn't give up our second round pick as well.

I am encouraged by the picks for Marqise Lee (WR, USC - 39) and Allen Robinson (WR, PSU - 61). There is definitely a need for depth at the receiver position. Blackmon is probably gone forever, and Denard Robinson is in the process of getting his nickname changed to "Stonehands".

Brandon Linder (OG, UMiami - 93) seems like a solid pick. The interior offensive line needs a lot of work; having a translucent shower curtain installed there didn't work very well last year. Since he is from UMiami it figures that OC Jedd Fisch knows what he is getting.

Aaron Colvin (CB, Oklahoma - 114) has some promise even though he tore his ACL in the Senior Bowl. If he stays healthy, he will add more depth to a position where the Jaguars didn't have enough depth to field a scout team at times last year, despite spending so many picks on defensive backs in last year's draft. ("Hey ball boy… come over here and pretend to be a slot corner").

Rounds 5, 6, 7: People liked Telvin Smith's (ILB, FSU - 144) leadership, and the coaches got to see him up close at the Senior bowl. Chris Smith (DE, Arkansas - 159) is another guy the coaches saw at the Senior Bowl and would probably be a LEO in the scheme. The other LEOs are approaching the end of their careers. Luke Bowanko (C, Virginia - 205) will compete with some existing lineman on the roster for the Center position, which was vacated by a retiring Brad Meester. Storm Johnson (RB, UCF - 222) is probably marginal as an NFL running back, and is presumably being brought in to compete with Denard Robinson for the third running back slot. No punters or long snappers, at least.

Overall grade: B- for now
The rebuild continues. All of the picks went to areas of need, and who the hell really knows anything anyways, but GM David Caldwell really put all his chips in the center of the table with Bortles. The grade for this draft 4 years from now will follow Bortles' career arc.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

I have never heard of any attitude problems from Kony (aside from invisible children)

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/07/2014-nfl-draft-scouts-kony-ealy-con-man-versatility/

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Colts

Jack Mewhort, OL, Ohio State

This pick came as a genuine surprise to me, despite being an OSU fan. Probably because our tackles were the only reliable part of our line last year, so I didn’t do any research at all in that area as far as possible picks. Surprise aside, it’s difficult to complain about spending our top pick on some protection for Luck. It sounds like it was the right range for him, and by all accounts he’s a very versatile lineman. I expect he’ll win a starting job somewhere in the interior coming out of camp.

Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss

I really like this pick. Wayne and Nicks are both on the final/only year of their contracts, leaving essentially TY Hilton as our only established WR going into next season. Moncrief has all the physical tools and with a year to learn behind Wayne could turn into a viable #1, or at least a strong complement to Hilton.

Jonathan Newsome, DE, Ball State

Admittedly I had never heard of this guy before, but the buzz on him is very positive. Grigson is clearly angling for his own Robert Mathis here, and we have enough depth that he should have time to learn and develop without too much pressure. Should find a spot in the rotation.

Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky
A quality late-round pick, raw but with real upside. We’re not terribly thin at the position but it’s nice to have more run-stopping ILBs, especially since we just lost our best one in FA.

Ulrick John, OT, Georgia State

Don’t understand this pick at all. There were plenty of talented players we could have grabbed here, particularly at FS and CB. He could have easily been gotten UDFA, and if not who cares?

General Feelings

This was a very confusing draft from my perspective. We came into it needing a new starter at FS, a new starter/real competition at center, high-level depth at CB, and maybe a project pass-rusher. Instead, Ryan Grigson drafted as if we were all set with starters and needed only depth and youth. Mewhort is the kind of utility lineman that championship-caliber teams rely on, but a viable starting FS and better fits for our other needs were still on the board when we picked him. Moncrief is a potential starting WR of the future, but that position was already one of our deepest (and one of the draft’s deepest) while we passed on several good options at G, CB, and FS. Jackson will be the fifth or sixth ILB on the roster, so while I like him as a player it feels very much like a luxury pick. Which, essentially, is how the entire draft feels: like a collection of luxury picks.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

ShakeZula posted:

Ulrick John, OT, Georgia State

Whoa, what the gently caress kind of Game of Thrones name is that

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Don't forget that your first round pick bought you one Trent Richardson!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

warcrimes posted:

Whoa, what the gently caress kind of Game of Thrones name is that

If only we could have drafted Illen Pain.

coco bryce
Jun 23, 2007
I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness.
I feel like that also works as a response to Intruder's post.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Saints Drafts:

Brandin Cooks: A+, We needed to pick up at least one quality WR and boy is Cooks a great one. He's going to straight carry us in some parts.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste: A. Another solid get we needed badly. Not as much as a gamechanger as Cooks but a quality addition to a very sorely lacking slot.

Khairi Fortt: C+. Injury prone but good when he's able to play. If I was ranking pure talent he'd be a solid B+ but I legit don't know how much PLAYING the guy's gonna do for us!

Vinny Sunseri: C. Ok, this sure is a guy. Not sure how bad we NEEDED him but yea, ok.

Ronald Powell: D+. If this was, what, three, years ago? Alright poo poo yea he'd be good. Dude missed an entire season laid up and I'm just not sure if he's going to live up to the diamond he used to be.

Tavon Rooks: C-. Good at what he does, not sure if he can do much else though so I hope he's good enough to last I guess?

Overall Feeling: B+. We absolutely needed guys like Cooks and Jean-Baptiste, a roster full of resounding 'ok' picks and no real stupid ones is just lagniappe I guess. I'm really, really, confused why we didn't get a Center but I guess we don't NEED one just yet, there's always Free Agents and all. It's puzzling why we'd, say, take a dude a couple years past his prime and a dude full of injury histories and not get some dudes to support a very shallow pool, but all in all I'm feeling happy.

Elotana posted:

Houston Texans

Pretty much total agreement except I'd give the Savage draft like, a D or F+, terrible QB choice unless he pulls some miracles and we need a good one.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 11, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Pretty much total agreement except I'd give the Savage draft like, a D or F+, terrible QB choice unless he pulls some miracles and we need a good one.

He's a 4th round supplemental pick who's had inconsistent coaching and has physical potential, I didn't want him but now that the Texans drafted him I have to try to talk myself into liking the pick and giving him a chance. Hope he succeeds, if he can become a league average QB I'll be thrilled

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
It seems like the Panthers went into the deepest draft in years and came out with a few project players and not a lot else. Meanwhile all of our division rivals went out and drafted about as sure of prospects as they could. I can't remember our current coaching staff ever successfully developing a WR so I don't have high hopes for Benjamin. Ealy was a great value but in an area of so little need it will be inconsequential to the immediate future. The guard is nice but we really needed a tackle and passed up a couple of great prospects to get Trai Turner. I guess Boston was a nice pick given what was available. Trading up for that corner made no sense in my mind. Then we picked a stanford running back and didn't even try to bring in a developmental project in a position of need. I feel like the strategy this year has more to do with becoming cap-solvent than actually winning anything. Meanwhile Gettleman keeps trumpeting this mantra of "The answer is on the roster" when what's actually on the roster is Byron loving Bell at goddamn starting left tackle. This is the worst I've felt coming out of a draft in a while.

Meanwhile my two favorite college prospects at a position of need are apparently so lovely that neither one of them merits even a UDFA slot and both are about to sign with the Jacksonville Sharks. Then we elected to ignore the few really good prospects that WERE available from FA in order to sign a bunch of small school players that probably won't crack the roster. Really? Tiny and Hurst weren't even worthy of the minimum UDFA contract? gently caress.

I have the worst fear that Gettleman thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and that we're going to get our asses handed to us until he realizes otherwise.

Edit: drat that last sentence feels really weird to say after you just won your division.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 11, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Intruder posted:

He's a 4th round supplemental pick who's had inconsistent coaching and has physical potential, I didn't want him but now that the Texans drafted him I have to try to talk myself into liking the pick and giving him a chance. Hope he succeeds, if he can become a league average QB I'll be thrilled

Yea I HOPE he'll succeed but I just have no reason to think he will. But hey yea, I'd like nothing more than to say 'welp I was wrong and dumb last May'.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
i think the jags quietly had one of the best drafts outside of lol bortles at #3 overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I HOPE he'll succeed but I just have no reason to think he will. But hey yea, I'd like nothing more than to say 'welp I was wrong and dumb last May'.

More like 2 or 3 Mays ago, I'd be shocked if Savage sees the field this season

• Locked thread