Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Wait...what is that red thing above that blue thing? Not the red thing above Ohio. The other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Roasted Donut posted:

i think the jags quietly had one of the best drafts outside of lol bortles at #3 overall
I chuckled a little bit at "Denard Robinson has stone hands thank goodness we drafted Marqise Lee"

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/7/5677976/marqise-lee

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Elotana posted:

I chuckled a little bit at "Denard Robinson has stone hands thank goodness we drafted Marqise Lee"

he was hurt his senior year and had an absolute poo poo qb, don't hold that against him. he ran circles around every other wr in this class prior to that

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Roasted Donut posted:

i think the jags quietly had one of the best drafts outside of lol bortles at #3 overall

I wouldn't even call it quiet. The Jags 2014 draft is like the valedictorian who died in a drunk driving crash just after graduation. So beautiful and filled with potential yet already lost to this world. You will be greatly mourned Jaguars rounds 2-7.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

That's an extremely laughable anonymous scout quote

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Gatts posted:

Wait...what is that red thing above that blue thing? Not the red thing above Ohio. The other one.

They're both Michigan.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

CB Darqueze Dennard: owns owns owns, what a god drat steal

RB Jeremy Hill: I like him over Hyde and having a 2nd RB better than Lawfirm is a big deal but I'm not so sure this wouldn't have been better spent on Ealy or even Nix despite not being an exact scheme fit

DE Will Clarke: great value, but again Ealy in the 2nd would have opened this up to a lot more, but as played I think this is the best pick they could have made

C Russell Bodine: idk why we had to trade up for him but I'm really glad we took a center even if it's a workout warrior type

QB AJ McCarron: I mean its really not a bad value pick but lmao We Actually Drafted AJ McCarron And I Have To Root For Him And His Stupid Tattoo. He's certainly not the answer to the Andy Dalton Problem but he could be a good backup down the line I guess maybe

OLB Marquis Flowers: its a 6th so who cares, but the back end of the linebacker group is wide open enough that if he's any good he'll make the team

WR James Wright: beyond the "lmao he didnt catch a pass last year," I'm assuming taking him is with the intention of only having him play special teams, and if he's good he could fill the special teams role of Andrew Hawkins. It's just weird for the Bengals to do this when they still have Cedric Peerman who's shown flashes when he actually needed to play RB. lmao of all our picks i wrote the most words about this idiot

S Lavelle Westbrooks: who cares, sure whatever

All in all I'm happy with the draft and the top 5 picks were the five positions I wanted them to address. I'm not sure if we took them in the right order or the right players, but overall a cool draft and Dennard counts for a lot.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

That's a really bad headline considering one of the scouts making GBS threads on him mentions versatility.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

HappyHelmet posted:

Seattle Seahawks

6th round (199) Garrett Scott OT Marshall

Another Tom Cable project player for him to toy around with on the line. Expect to see him rotated around the line at various spots, especially in the pre-season.

Garrett Scott: 6'5 307lbs Cone Drill: 7.09

:stare:

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Elotana posted:

Even if we lend more credence to a column by a retired defensive end on SBNation about wide receiver technique than it deserves (which might be none at all), as Roasted Donut says he played through an injury all year. He had a knee injury (which would presumably have affected his body contgrol and technique), which is cited as a reason why he slid to the 2nd round to begin with. And he did put up pretty good numbers for catching balls thrown by Matt Barkley and Cody Kessler.

Might Lee be a hot mess of bad technique that won't amount to anything? Sure. But the column is saying he "has hands like feet" because he had all of 5 drops in 5 games when he was hurt.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Roasted Donut posted:

I don't even think the Bortles pick was that bad honestly. Yeah, they took him way too early, but if that's the QB they felt will work best in their system and (I hope for Jags fans sake) had no way of trading down what could they do. Keeping in mind at pick #3 most of us were still figuring on JFF and Teddy leaving much earlier than they did, and Carr/Bortles would probably come after them with no guarantee they would be there when the Jags picked in the 2nd.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

HappyHelmet posted:

I don't even think the Bortles pick was that bad honestly. Yeah, they took him way too early, but if that's the QB they felt will work best in their system and (I hope for Jags fans sake) had no way of trading down what could they do. Keeping in mind at pick #3 most of us were still figuring on JFF and Teddy leaving much earlier than they did, and Carr/Bortles would probably come after them with no guarantee they would be there when the Jags picked in the 2nd.

My new favorite thing to ever happen in football is Jags fans talking themselves into Bortles like a laid-off man describing his unemployment as an opportunity to find himself.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

zimbomonkey posted:

It seems like the Panthers went into the deepest draft in years and came out with a few project players and not a lot else. Meanwhile all of our division rivals went out and drafted about as sure of prospects as they could. I can't remember our current coaching staff ever successfully developing a WR so I don't have high hopes for Benjamin. Ealy was a great value but in an area of so little need it will be inconsequential to the immediate future. The guard is nice but we really needed a tackle and passed up a couple of great prospects to get Trai Turner. I guess Boston was a nice pick given what was available. Trading up for that corner made no sense in my mind. Then we picked a stanford running back and didn't even try to bring in a developmental project in a position of need. I feel like the strategy this year has more to do with becoming cap-solvent than actually winning anything. Meanwhile Gettleman keeps trumpeting this mantra of "The answer is on the roster" when what's actually on the roster is Byron loving Bell at goddamn starting left tackle. This is the worst I've felt coming out of a draft in a while.

Meanwhile my two favorite college prospects at a position of need are apparently so lovely that neither one of them merits even a UDFA slot and both are about to sign with the Jacksonville Sharks. Then we elected to ignore the few really good prospects that WERE available from FA in order to sign a bunch of small school players that probably won't crack the roster. Really? Tiny and Hurst weren't even worthy of the minimum UDFA contract? gently caress.

I have the worst fear that Gettleman thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and that we're going to get our asses handed to us until he realizes otherwise.

Edit: drat that last sentence feels really weird to say after you just won your division.

I'm not feeling quite as pessimistic as you are, but yeah, it really sucks we didn't do more with WR/OT. I could live with picking one WR if it had been Brandin Cooks or a similar prospect, but expecting Benjamin to be The One is just scary. Also, yeah, it doesn't help at all that the Bucs absolutely killed it and the Saints/Falcons had some great picks too. If you look at our draft in a vacuum, it's probably just average, but our divisional rivals make it look much worse.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Texans again:

Jadeveon Clowney - A+

Best player in the draft; really glad the front office didn't out-think themselves with a Mack pick here (I like Mack a whole lot, just not at #1). Clowney will likely play the Elephant for us and terrorize with Watt for a number of years. It will be key to see how well he plays and how that affects his future contract relative to Watt.

Xavier Su'a-Filo - A

Awesome Guard; dude moves quickly on pulling plays and loves to push people around. Immediately slots in at Left Guard to replace the outgoing Wade Smith, but also has some experience at Left Tackle and fits that 'versatile' mold that O'Brien has been preaching since he was hired. If this and the competition at Right Tackle fix the line, Foster might put up some crazy stats this year.

That said, some people are still really mad about them not trading up for Teddy, and all I can say is that it probably wasn't going to happen; O'Brien stated several times that he didn't see much separation between the Top 3 (Manziel/Bortles/Teddy) and the rest of the class, and had attended the Pro Days for Garoppolo and Savage personally but not Teddy's. And besides that, there's no way Houston loses out to Minnesota if it was just a matter of offering late-round picks as theirs were inherently more valuable. The Texans just weren't as crazy about Teddy as everyone thought. :dealwithit:

C.J. Fiedorowicz - A-

I was initially shocked by the pick - not because it was bad, but because I think everyone was reeling from the Patriots taking Garoppolo (whom I believe would have been the pick). However, rather than panic-draft a QB, we went for BPA and got a TE who compares favorably to Gronkowski in measurables (Gronk is a slightly better receiver but CJ is the better blocker - not to take away from either of them). This isn't to say he'll be shattering TD records for a Tight End, but he'll make a great red-zone threat along with Griffin. Moreso than even that, this pick is effectively another shot of talent for the offensive line, so I'm good with it.

Louis Nix III, Esquire - A+++

How the gently caress did Nix drop this far?? Alright, he's a 2-down player with knee concerns, but getting a first round-rated and best Nose in the draft who could become the next Wilfork. This pick screams Crennel and I couldn't be happier because he's the absolutely perfect fit for the defense. Plus, he's a legitimately funny dude.

Tom Savage - B+

I'm weird and like Tom Savage. On tape it was difficult to even watch him play because his offensive line was letting guys though on play after play (that UNC game :stare:), and he still put up 21 touchdowns and 3k yards; even with 9 interceptions, 6 came in the first 4 games, but only 3 across the next 8 (or 9 if you count the bowl game before he had to leave with an injury). Considering where he was picked (with a compensatory 4th round pick), it's decent value and doesn't tie the front office's collective hands if we can draft a guy like Hundley or Mariota next year. That said, I downgrade him slightly if only because I think he was the Plan B after Garoppolo (but thankfully not panic-drafted at 3-1).

Any grades at this point are less about value and more about how they project as potential special teamers and developmental dudes:

Jeoffrey Pagan - B

I like the pick, though I'm not excited by it. Only played for a year at Alabama (so maybe free from Saban maximizing his talent before he left?) but is what we're looking for in a 5-tech as a huge, powerful dude. If nothing else, it's good depth behind guys like Crick and Jamison.

Alred Blue - B+

I'm an LSU fan so I like the pick already. Big for a running back at 6'2, he showed a lot of talent at LSU before injuring his ACL and then getting stuck behind guys like Terrance Magee and Jeremy Hill on the depth chart. Patient runner and finds the open lane well; should make a good compliment to Foster and Brown, assuming that he beats out Grimes, Johnson, and Graham. Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue.

Jay Prosch - A

Real-life Clarence Beeftank. Can power clean 400lbs and runs a 4.7. Part of the insane Auburn running game last year, he also has good hands and is a bit of a receiving threat as well.

Andre Hal - A+++

We got Andre Hal in the 7th? Hm, well, he's OK I guess. It's not like Indianapolis spent a high pick drafting a guy he shut down or anything.

Lonnie Balentine - A

Raw but has some great measureables: 4.39 40-time, 38 inch vertical and at 220lbs, he is nevertheless raw as a defensive back. He should make an impact on special teams, in any case, and if he develops well he'd have some great tools to work with.

Overall, I give the class an A in terms of my personal feelings right now and with all that I know. The team got bigger, faster, and meaner across the board, and that's without even counting the first pick. If nothing else, I think this'll be a defense that is fun as hell to watch and there isn't a sense of urgency to make it to the playoffs right away, so the offense has time to gel and learn O'Brien's system. Did I mention we'll have Clowney, Nix, and Watt all on the same line? Fuuuuuuuck!

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
The Falcons draft feels like it started with purpose and great promise but when they didn't get the players they were hoping for they just kinda floundered.

Jake Matthews, OT, Texas (A&M) - If he transitions to the NFL as greatly as everyone is saying he is, this is obviously a fantastic pick. Given who was off the board already this was a no brainier and I wouldn't fault them for taking Matthews even if he breaks a hip and never plays.

Ra'Shede Hageman, DT/DE, Minnesota - With proper coaching he could turn into a monster on the inside and I'm really looking forward to more 3-4 defenses.

Dezmen Southward, FS, Wisconsin -uh, okay. A potential guy who I feel got picked because there was a run on safeties before this pick. As long as he tackles better than DeCoud I will be happy.

Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State - Falcons needed a fresh RB and he seems as good as any. I know nothing about him other than one highlight package.

Prince Shembo, OLB, Notre Dame - looks like an attempt at getting and edge pass rusher in a not very deep edge rush draft. The team is littered with LB's right now and I think they want to throw as many at the wall as possible for the new defensive scheme and see who sticks.

Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue - Whatever. depth for their two second year corners.
Marquis Spruill, ILB, Clemson - See Shembo
Yawin Smallwood, LB, Connecticut - See Shembo
Tyler Starr, OLB, South Dakota - See Shembo

Overall I'm happy, first two guys are immediate starters. Hopefully Southward turns into something because that's going to be the biggest hole. They finally went after guys with a little more nasty to them and dropped the Falcons character concern crap a little. Overall B+

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

My new favorite thing to ever happen in football is Jags fans talking themselves into Bortles like a laid-off man describing his unemployment as an opportunity to find himself.

I am in no way a Jags fan so I have no horse in this race. I could care less if he succeeds/fails, or if it was a good/bad pick in the end.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

bhsman posted:

Texans again:

Jadeveon Clowney - A+

Best player in the draft; really glad the front office didn't out-think themselves with a Mack pick here (I like Mack a whole lot, just not at #1). Clowney will likely play the Elephant for us and terrorize with Watt for a number of years. It will be key to see how well he plays and how that affects his future contract relative to Watt.

Xavier Su'a-Filo - A

Awesome Guard; dude moves quickly on pulling plays and loves to push people around. Immediately slots in at Left Guard to replace the outgoing Wade Smith, but also has some experience at Left Tackle and fits that 'versatile' mold that O'Brien has been preaching since he was hired. If this and the competition at Right Tackle fix the line, Foster might put up some crazy stats this year.

That said, some people are still really mad about them not trading up for Teddy, and all I can say is that it probably wasn't going to happen; O'Brien stated several times that he didn't see much separation between the Top 3 (Manziel/Bortles/Teddy) and the rest of the class, and had attended the Pro Days for Garoppolo and Savage personally but not Teddy's. And besides that, there's no way Houston loses out to Minnesota if it was just a matter of offering late-round picks as theirs were inherently more valuable. The Texans just weren't as crazy about Teddy as everyone thought. :dealwithit:

C.J. Fiedorowicz - A-

I was initially shocked by the pick - not because it was bad, but because I think everyone was reeling from the Patriots taking Garoppolo (whom I believe would have been the pick). However, rather than panic-draft a QB, we went for BPA and got a TE who compares favorably to Gronkowski in measurables (Gronk is a slightly better receiver but CJ is the better blocker - not to take away from either of them). This isn't to say he'll be shattering TD records for a Tight End, but he'll make a great red-zone threat along with Griffin. Moreso than even that, this pick is effectively another shot of talent for the offensive line, so I'm good with it.

Louis Nix III, Esquire - A+++

How the gently caress did Nix drop this far?? Alright, he's a 2-down player with knee concerns, but getting a first round-rated and best Nose in the draft who could become the next Wilfork. This pick screams Crennel and I couldn't be happier because he's the absolutely perfect fit for the defense. Plus, he's a legitimately funny dude.

Tom Savage - B+

I'm weird and like Tom Savage. On tape it was difficult to even watch him play because his offensive line was letting guys though on play after play (that UNC game :stare:), and he still put up 21 touchdowns and 3k yards; even with 9 interceptions, 6 came in the first 4 games, but only 3 across the next 8 (or 9 if you count the bowl game before he had to leave with an injury). Considering where he was picked (with a compensatory 4th round pick), it's decent value and doesn't tie the front office's collective hands if we can draft a guy like Hundley or Mariota next year. That said, I downgrade him slightly if only because I think he was the Plan B after Garoppolo (but thankfully not panic-drafted at 3-1).

Any grades at this point are less about value and more about how they project as potential special teamers and developmental dudes:

Jeoffrey Pagan - B

I like the pick, though I'm not excited by it. Only played for a year at Alabama (so maybe free from Saban maximizing his talent before he left?) but is what we're looking for in a 5-tech as a huge, powerful dude. If nothing else, it's good depth behind guys like Crick and Jamison.

Alred Blue - B+

I'm an LSU fan so I like the pick already. Big for a running back at 6'2, he showed a lot of talent at LSU before injuring his ACL and then getting stuck behind guys like Terrance Magee and Jeremy Hill on the depth chart. Patient runner and finds the open lane well; should make a good compliment to Foster and Brown, assuming that he beats out Grimes, Johnson, and Graham. Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue.

Jay Prosch - A

Real-life Clarence Beeftank. Can power clean 400lbs and runs a 4.7. Part of the insane Auburn running game last year, he also has good hands and is a bit of a receiving threat as well.

Andre Hal - A+++

We got Andre Hal in the 7th? Hm, well, he's OK I guess. It's not like Indianapolis spent a high pick drafting a guy he shut down or anything.

Lonnie Balentine - A

Raw but has some great measureables: 4.39 40-time, 38 inch vertical and at 220lbs, he is nevertheless raw as a defensive back. He should make an impact on special teams, in any case, and if he develops well he'd have some great tools to work with.

Overall, I give the class an A in terms of my personal feelings right now and with all that I know. The team got bigger, faster, and meaner across the board, and that's without even counting the first pick. If nothing else, I think this'll be a defense that is fun as hell to watch and there isn't a sense of urgency to make it to the playoffs right away, so the offense has time to gel and learn O'Brien's system. Did I mention we'll have Clowney, Nix, and Watt all on the same line? Fuuuuuuuck!

The B+ grade on Tom Savage is probably a pipe dream

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Bad Moon posted:

Garrett Scott: 6'5 307lbs Cone Drill: 7.09

:stare:

That's a (typically fast) pro day time but christ that is a lot of man to be oscillating at that speed. The combine 3 cone times were in the 7.4-8.25 range.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

That's a (typically fast) pro day time but christ that is a lot of man to be oscillating at that speed. The combine 3 cone times were in the 7.4-8.25 range.

Dude is big. My guess is Cable will move him inside to guard.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Claw Massage posted:

Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State - Falcons needed a fresh RB and he seems as good as any. I know nothing about him other than one highlight package.

If it helps, he was my favorite RB in this draft. Just a great, well rounded player; does everything you could ask a RB to do.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The B+ grade on Tom Savage is probably a pipe dream

I admit I like him more than most, but I also factor in that he's basically a 5th-round pick and as such means that he's not going to define O'Brien's coaching staff if they don't want him to.

EDIT: Apparently, Savage almost transfered to Penn State when O'Brien took over there, so both men already had a history together, so that familiarity explains the pick further.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 11, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bhsman posted:

I admit I like him more than most, but I also factor in that he's basically a 5th-round pick and as such means that he's not going to define O'Brien's coaching staff if they don't want him to.

EDIT: Apparently, Savage almost transfered to Penn State when O'Brien took over there, so both men already had a history together, so that familiarity explains the pick further.

Cool I love nepotism

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bill O'Brien made Matt McGloin look passable, he might be able to form SOMETHING out of the poo poo clay that is Tom Savage

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Alouicious posted:

Bill O'Brien made Matt McGloin look passable, he might be able to form SOMETHING out of the poo poo clay that is Tom Savage

BoB is only a man

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Cool I love nepotism

Except Savage didn't transfer to Penn State? :confused: Are you going to make the same dumb argument if and when we draft Hackenburg in a year?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Alouicious posted:

Uh excuse me, Matt McGloin owns :colbert:

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

bhsman posted:

Except Savage didn't transfer to Penn State? :confused: Are you going to make the same dumb argument if and when we draft Hackenburg in a year?

if hackenberg evovles at all he's going to be a great qb

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Coldforge posted:

49ers
Round 7, pick 30 (245) Trey Millard FB 6'2" 247 Oklahoma
Provides "competition" for Bruce Miller, possibly could play TE. May need a redshirt season due to recent injury.
JAG, C

I think he'll need to redshirt for medical reasons, but he's a real solid swiss army knife h-back type. He can line up at rb fb all over the backfield and in a move type TE role even possibly in the future. I like him alot, and he can lay the wood too. He's a solid blocker and I think the 49ers are going to get alot out of him if he can get healthy and back to form. Idk if he makes 53 this year, ya'll have a solid roster, but he's going to be good for someone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbv5aihfbrU&t=112s

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Waroduce posted:

I think he'll need to redshirt for medical reasons, but he's a real solid swiss army knife h-back type. He can line up at rb fb all over the backfield and in a move type TE role even possibly in the future. I like him alot, and he can lay the wood too. He's a solid blocker and I think the 49ers are going to get alot out of him if he can get healthy and back to form. Idk if he makes 53 this year, ya'll have a solid roster, but he's going to be good for someone.

You've convinced me, I could see him taking over the Delanie Walker role. But yeah, everything that I've seen on him points to a year on a PUP list first.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Stealing Amar's Style Sheet:

Cleveland Browns

Grading drafts is dumb because early pick grades are inflated or deflated by later picks and I guess that's why we do an overall grade and faaart.

Round one, pick 8 (8): Justin Gilbert
CB, 6'0", 202, Oklahoma State

This pick is shaded by the JFF bombshell later but I really, really like this pick. I was cool to it at first but getting a good to great corner is rad. The Browns D-Line is a pretty solid "B" line and Gilbert puts the secondary in a really good place. Haden is the shutdown, Gilbert is the ballhawk. Plus, the first from next year adds value.

A-

Round one, pick 22 (22): Johnny loving Football
QB, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL A&M

Rules, rules, rules. I love this pick. Great value and the Browns are gambling not reaching and he's got a weird goblin face and that motherfucker has to play in the Cleve. Owns.

A$$$$

Round two, pick 3 (35): Joel Bitonio
OL, 6'4", 302, Nevada

Good pick. There was a ton a WR talent here that would have been nice but the guard position has been the weakest point in the O-Line. I like the pick without the JG suspension with it, I wish it was a WR considering we didn't get one later.

B-

Round three, pick 7 (71): Christian Kirksey
ILB, 6'2", 233, Iowa

Apparently, this dude plays bigger than his frame, gets a ton of tackles, and could develop into a really good player. Unfortunately, he can not catch passes on offense. This was not a glaring need so...meh

C+
Round three, pick 30 (94): Terrence West
RB, 5'9", 225, Towson

Something about this dude makes me think this is a great value pick. Quick cuts, bold spicy flavor, and probably shared a locker room with the opposing team. Whatever. Dude could be good.

B+
Round four, pick 27 (127): Pierre Desir
CB, 6'1", 198, Lindenwood

Great value. Another CB though, which seems weird but ok.

B+

Overall= A-. Some great value was added wiht next year's picks and JFF plays for the Browns.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

bhsman posted:

However, rather than panic-draft a QB, we went for BPA and got a TE who compares favorably to Gronkowski in measurables (Gronk is a slightly better receiver but CJ is the better blocker - not to take away from either of them).
I can sort of understand being optimistic about Savage, but what? Measurables mean nothing without production. The NFL is lousy with TEs who are 6'5, 260 pounds, and lovely. What besides being big and muscly points to Fiedorowicz comparing more favorably to Gronk than, say, Michael Egnew, Rob Housler, or Luke Stocker?

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
I haven't followed football at much at ALL this offseason, but the Seahawks drafted a guy by the name of Cassius Marsh so automatic A+.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Roasted Donut posted:

if hackenberg evovles at all he's going to be a great qb

Well yeah but that would be a potentially more egregious example of nepotism than what I mentioned.

Elotana posted:

I can sort of understand being optimistic about Savage, but what? Measurables mean nothing without production.

I don't think you 'get' the draft.

EDIT: Lemme elaborate further: You have to look at how the picks all work together here. We took a mauler of a Guard in the second, a huge blocking TE (that is a red-zone threat and comes from a run-heavy team, so cries of "but production!" are missing the point entirely; the draft isn't about production but projection), and an old-school fullback in Prosch. O'Brien wants the team to win at the line and run the ball all day.

It's why we didn't target a QB until after the second round, more than anything else.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 11, 2014

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

bhsman posted:

EDIT: Lemme elaborate further: You have to look at how the picks all work together here. We took a mauler of a Guard in the second, a huge blocking TE (that is a red-zone threat and comes from a run-heavy team, so cries of "but production!" are missing the point entirely; the draft isn't about production but projection), and an old-school fullback in Prosch. O'Brien wants the team to win at the line and run the ball all day.

It's why we didn't target a QB until after the second round, more than anything else.
I understand this and I don't have a problem with Fiedorowicz or huge blocking TEs in general. But I don't think he was worth the pick at 3-1 (which ultimately cost us our 4-1 and 5-1 when we had to move up for Nix), and I definitely don't buy what anyone's selling about him being the next Gronk. Sure, maybe in some remote possible-timeline sort of way he is super-good and the evidence was suppressed for three years on account of Kirk Ferentz is a dummy, but like Savage, the odds are long and I would've preferred to take Nix at 3-1 and spend those other picks on more high-percentage plays. If someone else took Fiedorowicz, "huge blocking TE" is not a terribly rare skillset.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 11, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Elotana posted:

I understand this and I don't have a problem with Fiedorowicz or huge blocking TEs in general. But I don't think he was worth the pick at 3-1 (which ultimately cost us our 4-1 and 5-1 when we had to move up for Nix), and I definitely don't buy what anyone's selling about him being the next Gronk. Sure, maybe in some remote possible-timeline sort of way he is super-good and the evidence was suppressed for three years on account of Kirk Ferentz is a dummy, but like Savage, the odds are long and I would've preferred to take Nix at 3-1 and spend those other picks on more high-percentage plays.

A huge, athletic Tight End is exactly what gets picked high these days, though, because of the ability to create mismatches. Those are the sort of high-percentage plays you want to make.

Would you feel better if, instead of making Gronk comparisons, I'd point out that CJ compares very favorably (if not flat out better in some areas) to Austin Sefarian-Jenkins? Big, atheletic pass-catching and blocking TE whom the Buccaneers took 38th overall? Getting that kind of player in the third is great value, by comparison.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

You're a very defensive poster :shobon:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

You're a very defensive poster :shobon:

Unless you were just joshin' you literally used 'nepotism' in reference to Savage and O'Brien being acquaintances and getting drafted so uh EDIT: Besides, I posted opinions I knew weren't in line with what other people said, so should I not be expected to defend them? :v:

Granted I was packing to leave school for the summer so I didn't get your immediate reaction to the pick.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 11, 2014

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

I'm not feeling quite as pessimistic as you are, but yeah, it really sucks we didn't do more with WR/OT. I could live with picking one WR if it had been Brandin Cooks or a similar prospect, but expecting Benjamin to be The One is just scary. Also, yeah, it doesn't help at all that the Bucs absolutely killed it and the Saints/Falcons had some great picks too. If you look at our draft in a vacuum, it's probably just average, but our divisional rivals make it look much worse.

I find it hard to bet against gettleman and Rivera though. It seems they have their own kind of ideas about the guys they want and a big part of it appears to be guys they can mould.

I know a few of the guys after the guard pick are iffy but they've pretty much garunteed there's going to be more competition in the defensive backfield.

I feel they're playing the long game here and I know after a 12 and 4 season most would expect more in regards to trying to win now, but I'm kind of happy enough with them going after guys they felt were the best available at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

Unless you were just joshin' you literally used 'nepotism' in reference to Savage and O'Brien being acquaintances and getting drafted so uh EDIT: Besides, I posted opinions I knew weren't in line with what other people said, so should I not be expected to defend them? :v:

Granted I was packing to leave school for the summer so I didn't get your immediate reaction to the pick.

You can defend them without dismissing any disagreement as a "dumb argument"

• Locked thread