Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

sweet thursday posted:

Because of the rape

yes, the bengals drafted Jeremy Hill (born October 20, 1992) is an American football running back for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League. He played college football at LSU. who did a rape

e: TL they gave up the pick they got for stevie johnson to trade for bryce brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I like the Bodine pick. I know he's not very mobile but Bengals centers tend to stick around the LOS anyways. I think he's got the potential to look really good as long as Zeitler and Boling stay healthy the majority of the season. Also he's a Bengals 4rth rounder, so he's guaranteed to be good.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

bhsman posted:

They're both 6'5", 260+ pounds, and run in the 4.7 range, et cetera. What's silly about the comparison?
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89677&draftyear=2014&genpos=TE
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83176&draftyear=2014&genpos=TE
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=108926&draftyear=2014&genpos=TE

Literally Gronk, all of them

Elotana fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 12, 2014

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

If a tree's raped in the forest, does Cincinnati make a draft pick?
Just somethin to think about. Night y'all!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

sweet thursday posted:

When are you going to do the Titans?

jeanclaudtransam
Jul 31, 2008
Buccaneers

1-7 WR Mike Evans: I assumed they would target smaller, elusive receivers since that fits Tedford's history but the obvious pick was a good one. Everybody knows what a great prospect he is and it was a huge need. Great combo with V Jax. Not only as a pair on the field, but Evans has a great shot at success just by observing Jackson who really is an absolute professional. It's like a science experiment where the younger person can learn directly from the future version of himself how to succeed.

2-6 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins: ASJ is another basketball player who is incredibly smooth for his size with natural hands, legit speed and a knack for YAC. I thought he was misused like crazy at Washington. He was constantly running bubble screens and dinky 2 yard flares that took him out of the play, or kept in to block for Sankey where he's adequate if only due to his size. Whenever he got a chance to challenge downfield or across the middle he was open constantly. I thought before the draft that he could end up being the best TE from this class and I'm very happy we got him. We seriously were going to start Brandon Myers.

3-5 RB Charles Sims: This was a terrible pick. If you just want to view it as a sign of supreme no-confidence in Bobby Rainey or Jeff Demps, it makes the tiniest bit of sense but they have one of the deepest RB groups in the league. Sims is a combo back that draws the Matt Forte comparison but his running style is more Julius Jones to me. He's a great receiver but I can't see how he offers anything that Martin and Mike James can't do just as well. With paper thin lines, no nickel CB, no starting guard(s), it can't be justified. It's worse because without a 4th, this was their last pick for awhile and they passed on guys like Marcus Martin, Phil Gaines, Nix who could have actually helped.

5-3 OG Kadeem Edwards: A bit of a reach, FCS project. He's got good size but the tested athleticism is bad. I don't want to get picky this late but they needed a guard who could compete for a spot from day 1 and this guy won't be ready for a few years, if ever. Doesn't even fit what Tedford wants at G.

5-9 OT Kevin Pamphile: Here's a guy I actually really like. He tested very well and has only been on offense for a few years after playing DE. He moves really well but needs technique work and reps. Reminds me of Demar Dotson actually which is nice. Unfortunately they traded up using their 2015 5th rounder to get him when they should have just taken him at 5-3 since Edwards was a waste.

6-9 WR Robert Herron: Love this pick. They needed a slot guy and Herron is quick with good hands and gets open. Thank god for this WR depth. He can help us right away which is great for a 6th round pick.

Overall: The first three picks are interesting because they compare to Brandon Marshall, Martellus Bennett, and Matt Forte respectively. With Josh McCown and Jackson already in place with a middling O-line, they're building a carbon copy of the Bears offense from last season. Only problem is they have Tedford, not Trestman. It won't take much for them to improve on last year though so I'm fairly optimistic despite the terrible Sims pick. They waited far too long to take O-line and both guys are big time projects. Guard was easily the biggest need with possible replacement level players at both spots and they flubbed it. Maybe Carl Nicks will actually play this year. We'll see. Herron at the end is great though. Not a single defender which is incredible considering Lovie's history. It's a decent draft but it's also in my nature to trust the FO. That trust is insane however because they've done very little right since 2001.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

bhsman posted:

They're both 6'5", 260+ pounds, and run in the 4.7 range, et cetera. What's silly about the comparison?

ASJ is faster than that but was dealing with the foot injury the past few months. His production was also pretty impressive in 2012 and I believe in him more as a pass catcher, particularly in the Red Zone. Jenekins has an incredibly low drop rate for a TE. Fiedorowicz is a more typical blocking TE with a whole lot less in terms of athleticism. I think his vert was something like 30 at the combine.

They are physically similar but I'd say that ASJ is a lot less raw as a pass catcher. It's sort of like difference between Cam Newton and Logan Thomas but a much less significant gap.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
CJ Fiedorowicz, like fellow Iowa alum Ricky Stanzi, loves America

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

With Kelvin Benjamin I love everything about him except the fact he can't play football that well. He's an absolute force when he wants to be but holy christ he has some mind boggling drops. Hopefully Proehl can coach him up. What he could develop into is exactly what the Panthers need.

I'll disagree with Blindsite about Ealy. He's not a replacement for Hardy, but for Johnson. His profile reads far more like a guy holding the edge instead of someone like the Kraken who's closer to a stereotypical edge rusher. Granted both of them play their roles well, but one is more like the other. I think it's going to be a lot easier to keep Johnson and hope Ealy develops than cut Johnson and resign Hardy but we'll see.

All in all not a terrible draft. They got some value and got some dudes.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Eifert Posting posted:

Uh is it just me or did they give up 2 2015 4rth round picks?

Gave one for Sammy, gave a conditional one based on Stevie's trade and production elevators for Brown that can become a 2016 pick instead. It's a confused bunch of conditional 4th rounders.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TG-Chrono posted:

Gave one for Sammy, gave a conditional one based on Stevie's trade and production elevators for Brown that can become a 2016 pick instead. It's a confused bunch of conditional 4th rounders.

I didn't think about that until now, you theoretically might have given a third for Bryce Brown?

I mean it's a third that's a long way away so it's like a fourth either way, but for discussion purposes.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Eifert Posting posted:

When are you going to do the Titans?

He'll wait for them to give assent.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

FizFashizzle posted:

With Kelvin Benjamin I love everything about him except the fact he can't play football that well. He's an absolute force when he wants to be but holy christ he has some mind boggling drops. Hopefully Proehl can coach him up. What he could develop into is exactly what the Panthers need.

I'll disagree with Blindsite about Ealy. He's not a replacement for Hardy, but for Johnson. His profile reads far more like a guy holding the edge instead of someone like the Kraken who's closer to a stereotypical edge rusher. Granted both of them play their roles well, but one is more like the other. I think it's going to be a lot easier to keep Johnson and hope Ealy develops than cut Johnson and resign Hardy but we'll see.

All in all not a terrible draft. They got some value and got some dudes.

I thought Ealy was a pure speed rusher. The critique I've heard on him is that he doesn't hold the edge.

And when have the Panthers ever developed a WR?

Edit: Yeah, everyone says he's almost pure pass rush right now and doesn't defend the run for poo poo.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 12, 2014

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

I thought Ealy was a pure speed rusher. The critique I've heard on him is that he doesn't hold the edge.

And when have the Panthers ever developed a WR?

Ealy wasn't nearly as fast at the combine as people expected. He'll be rotational with the Panthers obviously, probably coming in on passing downs when Johnson moves inside, but I have to think eventually he'll take on that role.

Hardy is an absolute freak athletically, which Ealy isn't. Remember, in his rookie year Hardy played gunner on special teams.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I feel like a lot of these picks were Gettleman trying to light a fire under the overpaid players. Oh, want to make $10 mil a year as a pass rusher? Look, we just got another guy that will do it for less than 2. Want to make $8 million a year as a running back that never touches the field? Nope, this guy we got on a sixth round contract will do it instead.

Basically, Stewart will know now that if he doesn't start producing and take a pay cut he's hosed. And Hardy knows he can't keelhaul us because at least we've prepared for the future and we have other options.

Edit: Also he traded away the seventh rounder so he could get off his computer and go spend time with his kid.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The only reason Stewart hasn't been cut is the Panthers can't get out of his contract. I'm sure they would have sent him packing already if they could. Lighting a fire doesn't matter, because Stewart never feels like he's healthy enough to play.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

The only reason Stewart hasn't been cut is the Panthers can't get out of his contract. I'm sure they would have sent him packing already if they could. Lighting a fire doesn't matter, because Stewart never feels like he's healthy enough to play.

I think it's supposed to be motivation to feel healthy enough and take a cut though. Basically pitting him against the fact that he likes playing in the NFL and on the Panthers. Because otherwise when the contract ends he's out on his rear end and never plays in the NFL again.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

zimbomonkey posted:

I think it's supposed to be motivation to feel healthy enough and take a cut though. Basically pitting him against the fact that he likes playing in the NFL and on the Panthers. Because otherwise when the contract ends he's out on his rear end and never plays in the NFL again.

Isn't like 2016 the first year they can cut him without crippling amounts of dead money?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Here are some general thoughts rather than player-by-player grades, partially because I think grading picks is dumb and partially because I won't pretend to know about all the third-day nobodies they took.

I do like the Jimmie Ward pick, even though I really liked Marqise Lee who was available at the time. Ward figures to play at nickel CB right away (and given how often the Niners run extra DB sets that's practically a starting job anyway) and since Bethea's contract is effectively a two year deal he can transition to be the long-term starter at safety alongside Reid. It's a good balance between immediate and long-term need and I like the player fit as well, and while it might not be as flashy or immediately impactful as dealing up into the top 5 for Mike Evans it cost them a whole hell of a lot less.

The Hyde pick is somewhat of a luxury and I worry a bit about his college workload, but I do see a bit of Frank Gore in his style and he supposedly does well catching the ball and in pass protection which the Niners really like from their backs. Gives them a bit of a security blanket in case Lattimore doesn't pan out after rehab, but also probably puts LaMichael James out of a job.

I also like the Marcus Martin pick a lot, they traded back from 61 to get an extra pick and still got what was widely considered the best center in the class who fits their system perfectly. He should compete for the starting center job at camp and back up guard both guard positions as well.

The Borland pick is the first one that sort of confused me, they will have a need at ILB for the first part of the year while Bowman's out but I don't know if they needed to address it here considering what the rest of the board looked like and I wonder if they would have been better served kicking one of the OLB prospects inside rather than gambling on a limited athlete. Wilhoite did a reasonably good job filling in part-time last year as well, I just feel like they could have dealt with this later.

Brandon Thomas was a guy that was constantly linked to the Niners pre-draft and for obvious reasons. Taking him fits the same pattern Baalke has shown over the last couple years: taking a risk on talented players with recent injury histories when your roster is too full for many impact rookies to begin with but you're close enough to the cap to need cheap talent infusion long-term. Obviously we haven't seen the two redshirt guys they took last year play yet, but Thomas was considered a borderline first-rounder in a good OL class before he got hurt, getting him at the very end of the third and giving him a year to get up to speed is great. It's looking increasingly likely that Iupati will be walking in free agency, so Thomas gives them a nice security blanket in the interior if those negotiations don't work out.

The Ellington pick also makes a ton of sense, even if I feel like people constantly moaning about the Niners needing 'vertical threats' is overrated. The Patriots passing offense has done just fine without deep threats for years, and they have this 6'4" guy who runs pretty fast called Vernon Davis you may have heard of. Regardless, with Ellington they get that small quick-twitch athlete but in the fourth round he's much less of an investment than similar players like Tavon Austin or Brandin Cooks (who they supposedly also liked a lot), and his hands get pretty good reviews as well and that's the most important thing to me. He also figures to be their likely return candidate once James gets traded or kicked to the curb.

The Aaron Lynch pick might be my favorite of the whole draft, it's a great low-risk high reward move and gives them another security blanket in case Aldon Smith can't get his poo poo straight. Sure you can say what you want about the Niners' history with 'character issue' guys after this offseason, but Lynch doesn't have a rap sheet, just effort issues, and if there's one thing Harbaugh has been successful at since taking over it's getting guys to play hard. This guy's playing for his livelihood now, hopefully he takes it to heart and plays to his potential.

The rest of the guys they took I don't really know anything about, so I'll just say that I like them taking the shotgun approach to drafting outside corners because the more of them that look good in camp the less likely it is that Perrish Cox makes the 53 and that would make me very very happy because gently caress him.

Also, even though he wasn't really a drafted player the trade took place mid-draft and inevitably affected the rest of their draft plans, the Stevie Johnson trade was huge. When you factor in the trades they made with Denver and Miami in the second round, the Niners essentially got Stevie Johnson for moving back one pick at the end of the second (and if you believe what Baalke said about their board, took the player they would have at 56 anyway) and a seventh. Buffalo is eating basically all of the guaranteed money left on Stevie's deal so there's next to no financial risk involved, and like a lot of their other moves this week he gives them insurance in case they can't get contract negotiations with Crabtree that are to their liking. If he returns to form, they're getting a guy who put up three straight 1000 yard seasons despite having garbage at QB throwing him the ball. He's only 27 so he should still have several productive years left in him athletically, and best of all he's got a track record of punking Richard Sherman. Very very exciting move and probably Baalke's best coup of the whole week which is saying something. I just have to shake my head and wonder what they're thinking in Buffalo.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I just have to shake my head and wonder what they're thinking in Buffalo.

Was worse than Robert Woods this season. The new front office didn't really gel with him. His guaranteed numbers go up a fair bit next year, getting nr1 money for a nr2 receiver. Basically they wanted to move on and have Sammy as their guy.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

TG-Chrono posted:

Was worse than Robert Woods this season. The new front office didn't really gel with him. His guaranteed numbers go up a fair bit next year, getting nr1 money for a nr2 receiver. Basically they wanted to move on and have Sammy as their guy.

I meant more big picture, in terms of flipping the pick they got for Bryce Brown of all people, and also Don't loving Trade Future Firsts You Idiots

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

TG-Chrono posted:

I understand Stevie's not a true number 1 but the Bills had 2 rookie QBs, one being Jeff Tuel, and "Rad" Thad Lewis playing QB last season. The whole year's passing game is completely out of whack.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
All things considered I'm pretty happy with Seattle's draft. The two biggest needs (by far) were WR and OL. They addressed both with their second round picks (although not necessarily the people I would have chosen). Analyzing late round picks for any team is dumb but Seattle FO's has shown it can find contributors late. It was a fine draft considering they started at 32.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

I feel like a lot of these picks were Gettleman trying to light a fire under the overpaid players. Oh, want to make $10 mil a year as a pass rusher? Look, we just got another guy that will do it for less than 2. Want to make $8 million a year as a running back that never touches the field? Nope, this guy we got on a sixth round contract will do it instead.

Basically, Stewart will know now that if he doesn't start producing and take a pay cut he's hosed. And Hardy knows he can't keelhaul us because at least we've prepared for the future and we have other options.

Edit: Also he traded away the seventh rounder so he could get off his computer and go spend time with his kid.

The development of a wide receiver talk is a little harsh, before Cam the only quarterback they'd developed was... Delhomme maybe possibly polished a bit but that's about it, at defensive tackle it was Jenkins and then a bunch of guys. Really the only positions historically the panthers have developed well was defensive end, linebacker, defensive backs and offensive linemen.

I think that because of what they did with Ginn and what they managed to get out of LaFell as flawed as he was isn't too terrible. I get where you're both coming from but at the end of day you can only get so much from certain guys. This is more the litmus test for them. This staff hasn't had a high pick wide receiver, colbert was drafted ten years ago and Dwayne Jarrett was 7 years ago. I don't think anyone's going to confuse Armanti Edwards or Kealoha Pilares with having the kind of upside, history or potential that Benjamin does.

If you consider LaFell to be a case study of sorts he only dropped six passes last year and came out of the slot in a three wide formation over 60% of the time, they moved him around trying to get him matched up with smaller corners and when he did run down the seam it was often to open things up underneath for Olsen and Smith. I'm not going to argue that he lit the world on fire, but he was a contributor to the offense. They maximised his abilities and utilised him for what he could do.

If they find a way to get Benjamin doing what he's best at and work on the little things unless he's a head case and goes the Otah route of not giving a gently caress about football he should see some success. I dunno, I think the process the Panthers had last year of finding the "type of guys" Rivera calls the "type of guys" they want worked pretty well.

IIRC most of us were pretty iffy on AJ Klein and Short had some knocks on his motor and technical ability, I think people were pretty vocal about Melvin White being a no body as well but he worked out. I get the reservation but I wouldn't exactly knock the staff for their progress over the last three years with receivers when they haven't had the same leadership and direction when it comes to player assessment.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

The development of a wide receiver talk is a little harsh, before Cam the only quarterback they'd developed was... Delhomme maybe possibly polished a bit but that's about it, at defensive tackle it was Jenkins and then a bunch of guys. Really the only positions historically the panthers have developed well was defensive end, linebacker, defensive backs and offensive linemen.

I think that because of what they did with Ginn and what they managed to get out of LaFell as flawed as he was isn't too terrible. I get where you're both coming from but at the end of day you can only get so much from certain guys. This is more the litmus test for them. This staff hasn't had a high pick wide receiver, colbert was drafted ten years ago and Dwayne Jarrett was 7 years ago. I don't think anyone's going to confuse Armanti Edwards or Pealoha Pilares with having the kind of upside, history or potential that Benjamin does.

If you consider LaFell to be a case study of sorts he only dropped six passes last year and came out of the slot in a three wide formation over 60% of the time, they moved him around trying to get him matched up with smaller corners and when he did run down the seam it was often to open things up underneath for Olsen and Smith. I'm not going to argue that he lit the world on fire, but he was a contributor to the offense. They maximised his abilities and utilised him for what he could do.

If they find a way to get Benjamin doing what he's best at and work on the little things unless he's a head case and goes the Otah route of not giving a gently caress about football he should see some success. I dunno, I think the process the Panthers had last year of finding the "type of guys" Rivera calls the "type of guys" they want worked pretty well.

IIRC most of us were pretty iffy on AJ Klein and Short had some knocks on his motor and technical ability, I think people were pretty vocal about Melvin White being a no body as well but he worked out. I get the reservation but I wouldn't exactly knock the staff for their progress over the last three years with receivers when they haven't had the same leadership and direction when it comes to player assessment.

I'm not really talking about a historical perspective, but I guess there is something to be said for the potential difference between Benjamin and Lafell. I guess Benjamin will be the big test though- if Proehl can't develop him, we might have a problem.

And for the record, I loved the Short pick and I didn't know enough about the Klein pick to like it or not. Generally, though, I felt a hell of a lot better about last year's draft than I do this years. A lot of that has to do with the fact that we had the best prospect in the draft at a position of need fall to us in the middle of the first because of a fluky medical thing at the combine. That was seriously a miracle for us and we could have drafted crap for the rest of the draft and I would have been okay with it because seriously Star loving Lotulelei.

A year and change later and it's still unbelievable that we got him. Unfortunately now it's going to be hard to have a draft and not compare it to that.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Right now there are 250 new Hall of Famers in the NFL, but I do give the Browns an A anyway. Making the trades to pick up extra selections next year is huge since the Bills will likely stink. Getting one of the top rated QBs later than he was figured to go. Sticking to the plan and not panicking.

They drafted 6 players, 4 of whom should start immediately (5 once Manziel beats out Hoyer) which is far more than I can say most years. The only non-starter is Desir who was rated much higher than his position so we'll see there, though he may start at nickleback? Training camp will be really interesting and a huge circus with the Manziel/Hoyer battle. I would have liked to see the WR position addressed but I respect that they stuck with the strategy and didn't draft someone they didn't believe in - I'm sure there will be plenty of cuts to pick from soon.

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011
I'd feel a whole lot better about the Bills draft if I thought we had the solution or even something good enough at QB to get our shiny new WR the ball. I don't expect Manuel even to last the season on current form, so this likely just presages further doom.

I get why they did it with the new owner waiting in the wings and such like though.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I'm laughin at people calling picks in the 7th round 'F' picks.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Reggie McKenzie would have to be an idiot to gently caress this draft up. He basically had highly rated players fall to him unexpectedly. Mack at #5 is literally the easiest draft decision outside of Clowney at #1. I feel great about Carr at #36 because I half expected him to trade back into the first to get him or another QB. I'll give him props for grabbing a pair of what look like solid lineman in rounds 3 and 4. After that, it looks like he just started drafting criminals and lunatics, hoping that one can get his poo poo together and become a good player. This is like the most Raider thing to do ever, and so I must give this draft a grade of A+.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

sweet thursday posted:

The answer is yes. :(

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I thought getting Scott Crichton in the third was one of the biggest steals in the draft but I guess Vikings fans really hate the pick :shobon:

Also just realized it but Jackson Jeffcoat wasn't drafted which is absolutely astounding.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

The only non-starter is Desir who was rated much higher than his position so we'll see there, though he may start at nickleback?

I could see him splitting time with Skrine based on opponent. He's supposed to be good, but pretty slow for a corner, so it might be better to have a faster corner like Skrine in at nickle to cover some faster receivers.

I've only looked at a few "draft grade" type write ups this year and all the ones for the Browns seem pretty dumb. Every one is like this for each pick "NOT A WR? That's clearly what they needed, not a coverage linebacker, guard, runningback, or corner! D-" Well, not quite that bad, but they all have that general feel. I personally am happy the Browns didn't panic draft a WR just because Gordon might be suspended. I admit, I would have been more comfortable with Watkins if this suspension happens, but other than that I hardly fault the Browns for sticking to their plan instead of rushing out a new pick/plan.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Doltos posted:

I thought getting Scott Crichton in the third was one of the biggest steals in the draft but I guess Vikings fans really hate the pick :shobon:

Also just realized it but Jackson Jeffcoat wasn't drafted which is absolutely astounding.

Where are you seeing that on Crichton? Industrial's recap is the only one I see that seems to have disliked it but the reasoning is also pretty dumb considering Robison is 31.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DangerKat posted:

Where are you seeing that on Crichton? Industrial's recap is the only one I see that seems to have disliked it but the reasoning is also pretty dumb considering Robison is 31.

Read through this thread and saw reaction picks saying that he wasn't needed due to the Viking's DE rotation.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Dolphins

I don't think grading a draft anywhere other than after the players have actually made it on the field makes any sense, so I'm going to talk about my feelings and give everyone an A+.

#19 RT Ju'Wuan James- He's considered a bit of a reach, but draft value is largely a lie. He seems like a plausible potential starting RT that , maybe not a dominant one but whatevs. A+

#63 WR Jarvis Landry- By far and away my favorite pick in the draft. He's a reliable possession receiver with upside and a long list of circus catches. He runs good routes, plays all the positions, blocks well, and works in the red-zone. He's got moxy. A+

#67 OT/OG Billy Turner- He's a raw, athletic small-school player who they're probably gonna fit in at Left Guard. I like him, but I don't know how I feel about his fit in the offense. Bill Lazor's offense might feature a lot of pulling and Turner has next to no experience there. A+

#125 CB Walt Akins- I'm not sure why they're drafting a CB this early, they've got a glut of young corners whom are probably not guys they should be cutting, but not enough guys with snaps outside of Brent Grimes. A+

#155 TE Arthur Lynch- Miami needs a utility #2 TE to handle dirty work. Basically block in-line, work as a big outlet receiver, and occasionally lead block. Lynch fills that role.
A+

#171 OLB Jordan Lynch- They need developmental prospects at OLB. Hell, they need starters and he's a small school something and I don't know if he'll even be a good special teams player at this point. A+

#190 WR Matt Hazel- Miami's coaching staff hates Rishard Matthews for some reason it appears, so they're picking up late round prospects who won't amount to anything because his attitude rubbed Philbin the wrong way or some bullshit.A+

#234- DE Terrence Fede[/b]- The first drafted Marist player ever. He's a physical phenomena and he'll almost certainly not stick on a team that is already really deep at defensive end. A+

Overall= A++

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm giving the Redskins a B-

I liked the first few picks of defense and trading back. Then they went all Offense in the later rounds which confused me.

We didn't need to add another WR. Then drafted Seastrunk who will bust.

Then a kicker, when Forbath has made like 95% of his kicks the past two years.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You didn't hold the door open for joe and rumors are swirling you left the counter in the bathroom with a paper towel on the side of the bin.

WE THROW ALL TRASH AWAY PROPERLY IN THE BIN YOU gently caress. What do you think this is, New England?

Richie show rishard what we do to guys who don't respect the code

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Doltos posted:

Read through this thread and saw reaction picks saying that he wasn't needed due to the Viking's DE rotation.

I felt that DE was a 3rd or 4th round need for the Vikings. They have 3 good ends in Griffen, Robison, and Wootton, but they didn't have anyone of note after that. The Vikings are a good situation for Crichton, since he is bit raw and can be used as a rotational player early on. My hope is that in a year or two, he will be ready to push Robison for a starting job or even serve as insurance if Griffen doesn't adapt well to an expanded role.

There are also some interesting things that Crichton will let the Vikings do. He may get some snaps at SLB behind Barr, since that is basically a 5th pass rusher role in Zimmer's D. He'll also rotate in on some obvious pass rushing situations and either line up at NT or line up at end and allow Griffen to rush the passer from inside.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
I don't think anyone did a full write-up on the Chiefs draft so here goes:

1 (23): Dee Ford - OLB - Auburn: Pure pass rusher that excels at the speed rush. Will likely be used in pass rushing downs only his first year as he learns the conversion to OLB from his DE spot. Could use a little more strength to really hold the point and do more in the run game, but won't be necessary year 1. Definitely picked with the thought of moving on from Tamba Hali after this year as we can't afford both Hali and Justin Houston and Houston is the younger, more complete player. The pick makes complete sense, but was still underwhelming. Role players in round 1 are boring. B

3 (87): Phillip Gaines - CB - Rice: Tall, speedy corner that displays pretty good cover skills. Lacks strength and needs to bulk up to really fit in with Bob Sutton's press-man coverage scheme. Played a ton of man defense, but seemed to turn and run more without really putting his hands on the receiver off the snap. His ball skills suck currently as well, but that's something that can be taught - you can't teach the 4.38 speed at 6ft. Shut down receivers at Rice, breaking up 38 passes over his career and allowed only 32.5% of passes thrown his way in 2013. B

4 (124): De'Anthony Thomas - RB - Oregon: Little dude that's quick as hell and an electric playmaker. Will be used all over the field to generate touches for him. Should be a better version of Dexter McCluster going forward. Excited to see what he can do in Dave Toub's special teams. Not a full-fledged receiver like we could have used, but still adds speed to an offense that desperately needs it. B

5 (163): Aaron Murray - QB - Georgia: The next "next Drew Brees". Holds almost all significant SEC passing records. Still recovering from an ACL tear and should have a pretty lazy year holding the clipboard as the 3rd QB. Seems to be exactly what Andy Reid is looking for in a QB and has a better deep ball than Smith. Should be interesting going forward. B+

6 (193): Zach Fulton - G - Tennessee: Big mauler guard that looks to be heavy footed and not sure how he'll do in the ZBS that KC currently uses. Obviously needed depth along the interior line with the loss of Schwartz and Asamoah. Looks to be developmental for now. B-

6 (200): Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - OT - McGill: Top ranked Canadian player that will hopefully develop into a swing tackle. The dude is big and strong, but also pretty intelligent as he's a med school student. Has only been playing OT for a few years as he moved from the defensive side of the ball. Good movement skills and good value at this spot for a developmental player. B+

Overall this draft was a solid B. It's not sexy, doesn't address some of the perceived immediate holes but this is exactly what the team needs to start being competitive long term. I don't want to build anymore flash in the pan teams with short windows. I hope Dorsey brings the same team-building thought process that has led to long term success like the Packers. Build through the draft by picking the best players on the board and stop reactionary drafting for need. The first two picks also allow us to move on from Hali and Flowers next year for $16.5m in cap savings, allowing us more flexibility.

excidium fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I don't get all this hate for draft grades. Obviously none of us know the true quality of the draft class until 3+ seasons from now. That doesn't mean we can't express through grades how well teams found value + addressed need.

Example: I don't care if Louis Nix is a bust or a HoF. Drafting him where they did was amazing value for Houston.

• Locked thread