Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I don't get all this hate for draft grades. Obviously none of us know the true quality of the draft class until 3+ seasons from now. That doesn't mean we can't express through grades how well teams found value + addressed need.

Example: I don't care if Louis Nix is a bust or a HoF. Drafting him where they did was amazing value for Houston.

It's just football hipsterism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

You'd think everyone would love the opportunity to laugh at how far off some dumbasses were a few years down the line :shrug:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Rasczak posted:

You'd think everyone would love the opportunity to laugh at how far off some dumbasses were a few years down the line :shrug:

The heart and soul of TFF.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
People gettin' mad bout football grades is funny since even expert pundit grades are vague bullshit.

Basically when I grade a team I just look at the players they pick, where I think those players deserved to be picked, then just throw out a random rear end grade. A means I really liked your draft, B means it was sorta good, C means it was ok, D means you're poo poo at drafting, and F means wtf were you thinking you poo poo heads even I could have picked better prospects based off of name recognition alone.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Aniki posted:

There are also some interesting things that Crichton will let the Vikings do. He may get some snaps at SLB behind Barr, since that is basically a 5th pass rusher role in Zimmer's D. He'll also rotate in on some obvious pass rushing situations and either line up at NT or line up at end and allow Griffen to rush the passer from inside.

I think this is the most exciting thing if it can pan out. Griffen and Robison both have experience rotating into the tackle position and getting all those guys on the field at the same time in big pass rush situations should be fun as gently caress.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Intruder posted:

CJ Fiedorowicz, like fellow Iowa alum Ricky Stanzi, loves America

Love the enthusiasm, still don't like the pick though. Blocking TE's aren't really what 3rd round picks are for and it feels like the Texans were making a luxury pick when they don't have the luxury of picking players who on offense who do not have a lot of tape catching passes. I liked the trade up for Nix as the next pick (Although with him falling that far, his medical stuff must be pretty frightening) but with the sour taste Fiedorowicz left me with makes that pick not look so hot. Clowney and XSF were both good picks, but I really hoped that the Texans would grab Bridgewater with a trade up.

With that being said, I did not like the Cushing or Watt picks so I'm pretty dumb when it comes to how college players will fit into the NFL.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

A Man and his dog posted:

I'm giving the Redskins a B-

I liked the first few picks of defense and trading back. Then they went all Offense in the later rounds which confused me.

We didn't need to add another WR. Then drafted Seastrunk who will bust.

Then a kicker, when Forbath has made like 95% of his kicks the past two years.

Seastrunk is a 6th round pick, if he's more than useless it's an anomaly. I can't hate on the kicker pick too much, he was their second 7th rounder and Cobra Kai sucks out loud on kickoffs. They could have gotten that same guy as a UDFA but the same could be said of most of the players picked late in the 7th.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Seastrunk kinda owns and is shifty as hell. He won't ever pass protect in the NFL though. Should be a great returner and will probably stick for a while as a change of pace back.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

MonsterWalk posted:

Cleveland Browns

Round one, pick 22 (22): Johnny loving Football
QB, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL A&M

Rules, rules, rules. I love this pick. Great value and the Browns are gambling not reaching and he's got a weird goblin face and that motherfucker has to play in the Cleve. Owns.

A$$$$

That's me wee quarterback JFF

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Doltos posted:

Seastrunk kinda owns and is shifty as hell. He won't ever pass protect in the NFL though. Should be a great returner and will probably stick for a while as a change of pace back.

Did he do returns at Baylor? Washington needs a returner badly, if he can do that, great. I'm also holding out hope that he can actually catch and the lack of receptions was a result of Baylor's system, not his ability, as I've heard. RG3 loves him some dumpoffs and Morris isn't the guy for that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

shiksa posted:

Did he do returns at Baylor? Washington needs a returner badly, if he can do that, great. I'm also holding out hope that he can actually catch and the lack of receptions was a result of Baylor's system, not his ability, as I've heard. RG3 loves him some dumpoffs and Morris isn't the guy for that.

No, that was Corey Coleman and Levi Norwood I believe. I'm just picturing ways Seastrunk's abilities can be used in the NFL since he most certainly dropped out of the third round for his pass blocking capabilities.

I think his lack of catching is also on him, not Baylor's system, although Baylor's system made RB dumpoffs kinda unnecessary as well.

I mean I think he's a great runner but there's reasons he dropped so far.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Doltos posted:

No, that was Corey Coleman and Levi Norwood I believe. I'm just picturing ways Seastrunk's abilities can be used in the NFL since he most certainly dropped out of the third round for his pass blocking capabilities.

I think his lack of catching is also on him, not Baylor's system, although Baylor's system made RB dumpoffs kinda unnecessary as well.

I mean I think he's a great runner but there's reasons he dropped so far.

Well yeah, it's unrealistic to expect a complete player in the 6th round, guys like Alfred Morris are precious gifts from baby Jesus. Eh, I'm sure they'll find out if he can catch or not in camp.

coco bryce
Jun 23, 2007
I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness.

Regnevelc posted:

I'm laughin at people calling picks in the 7th round 'F' picks.

It's also equally stupid when people give late round picks 'F's and 'D's in draft retrospective threads because they didn't become starters.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

DangerKat posted:

I think this is the most exciting thing if it can pan out. Griffen and Robison both have experience rotating into the tackle position and getting all those guys on the field at the same time in big pass rush situations should be fun as gently caress.

I'm definitely excited to see how Zimmer will use all of those pass rushers. It may take a year or two for the defense to hit full speed, but given the new coaching staff, new scheme, and all of the players that they've added, I think the D will make some big strides this year.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Ha Ha Clinton Dix - funny name A++++
other guys: no idea who they are, college football sucks and is poo poo and they'll probably be injured in a year anyway

Overall grade: C-

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

Yeah I looked it up the other day and if it is on Lache everyone else at Baylor since Briles has been there has the same problem. They had one dude who caught 19 balls out of the backfield one year and other than that Seastrunk is actually tied for second most receptions in a season the year before last.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

yes, the bengals drafted Jeremy Hill (born October 20, 1992) is an American football running back for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League. He played college football at LSU. who did a rape

I'm warming up to this guy a bit now, he sounded rather eloquent in his interview. Could be I'll give him some benefit of doubt over punching someone and/or getting his dick sucked by a younger chick in highschool.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I love that as Dolphins fans we are all on the same wave length. Took 7 pages for anyone to feel like putting in the effort to do a grading and then mocked the whole process and got a few shots in at our lame rear end head coach.

Perfect.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Fenrir posted:

:laffo:

If you think Rodgers wouldn't have made a difference then all I can say to you is that you should get checked into the nearest mental health facility ASAP. Rodgers has never played a full game against the Lions and lost. Not once, ever.

You know what gently caress it. :toxx:

If Rodgers plays a whole game against the Lions this year and the Packers lose you can do whatever the gently caress you want with my avatar/text. Bring it on.

I wasn't saying it wouldn't have been closer, but the way they played they still would have lost. Here, Detroit Dogg put it better:

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The Lions still would have won because the Packers offensive line couldn't stop Eastern Michigan University's ultimate frisbee team from getting into the backfield.

EDIT: Never mind

Dirk Diggler fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 13, 2014

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess if I had to grade a draft at this point I'd say the Lions got three starters (Ebron, Van Noy and the kicker) for this upcoming season.

Travis Swanson might get some reps this year but could be the Lions starting center of the future.

Reid might get in the DT rotation and might be more important next season if Suh and Fairley don't resign.

The rest seem like projects that might contribute on special teams but who knows.

I like last year's draft more.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

I love that as Dolphins fans we are all on the same wave length. Took 7 pages for anyone to feel like putting in the effort to do a grading and then mocked the whole process and got a few shots in at our lame rear end head coach.

Perfect.

Joe Philbin appears to have the self esteem of a sorority girl when it comes to being an NFL Coach.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Aniki posted:

I'm definitely excited to see how Zimmer will use all of those pass rushers. It may take a year or two for the defense to hit full speed, but given the new coaching staff, new scheme, and all of the players that they've added, I think the D will make some big strides this year.

Picking up Teddy was huge for the offense, and there is potential for replacing at least one guard in the near future as well. Hopefully the new RB is a step up from Gerhardt. It seemed like Zimmer was going to use as much draft as possible on the defense, and a majority of players went there, but the few pickups on offense may be key pieces to getting things right again.

I'm frightened and confused about what I feel about the next few Vikings seasons. It's not like despair, or ennui, or dread. It feels very different than all of these things. I don't have words to describe it. Is this...h..hope? It feels strange to just use that part of the word, not to continue with it and say "hopeless".

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How strong a correrlation is there between "player had a bad showing at Combine" and "player turned out to be a bust"? Obviously there has to be at least a little correlation because some players' bad Combine showings will be due to poor work ethic/preparation. But are there examples of players who fell far in the draft because of stuff like that and still turned out to be great players?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Zwabu posted:

How strong a correrlation is there between "player had a bad showing at Combine" and "player turned out to be a bust"? Obviously there has to be at least a little correlation because some players' bad Combine showings will be due to poor work ethic/preparation. But are there examples of players who fell far in the draft because of stuff like that and still turned out to be great players?

From guys mentioned this weekend: Vontaze Burflict, Elvis Dumervil, Anquan Boldin and Zack Miller all came up

And this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-LYiGZJ6lQ

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

Eagles

Marcus Smith

F-
Angelo Cataldi spotted

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Joe Philbin appears to have the self esteem of a sorority girl when it comes to being an NFL Coach.

listen

we drafted a bunch of LEADERS

all of whom will be cut from the team when Philbin realizes they have strong personalities

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If Zimmer's first year is successful I fully expect him to try and sabotage that dome they're building in Minnesota. Zimmer in a dome? Inconceivable!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
wrong thread

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

listen

we drafted a bunch of LEADERS

all of whom will be cut from the team when Philbin realizes they have strong personalities

I ventured into the reddit thread for the Dolphins and man it's horrifying. A bunch of circle jerks about team leaders, and one lone dude from PBC (or somewhere, he's got a 561 in his name) is caling them all morons and how talent matters over everything besides ESPN stories.

He's getting just destroyed by the hivemind

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm really happy with Minnesota's draft. Oddly enough it's the Lineman drafted in the fifth round that I'm excited about. Most of the players picked are projects who need to be coached up for a could of years and then Maybe they'll be something special. Every draft has duds and it's almost certain someoen will fail out from the Vikings picks this year. It may even be Bridgewater or Barr. David Yankey seems to be someone who may be starting in week one. If he's the solid player he's said to be it would complete the O-line for a good number of years.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I ventured into the reddit thread for the Dolphins and man it's horrifying. A bunch of circle jerks about team leaders, and one lone dude from PBC (or somewhere, he's got a 561 in his name) is caling them all morons and how talent matters over everything besides ESPN stories.

The Falcons went that route year after year. Putting more stock in the C on the chest of certain players jersey's over actual talent. That route does not usually end well :(

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Shath Hole posted:

The Falcons went that route year after year. Putting more stock in the C on the chest of certain players jersey's over actual talent. That route does not usually end well :(
Mark Herzlich's floor is basically special teams captain from day 1.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ozu posted:

Mark Herzlich's floor is basically special teams captain from day 1.

And he has been :patriot: Captain Cancer :patriot:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Captain Cancer? When did he get upgraded from Cancer Lad?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Captain Cancer? When did he get upgraded from Cancer Lad?

It's not formal but he's getting older so he's graduating from ladship. Zak DeOssie is the captain of the special teams and probably will be for the next 10 years since long snappers never retire.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thoughts on the Chefs:

I'm a lot more enthusiastic about the Dee Ford pick than most people. He's an excellent athlete and skilled technical guy who already has some experience playing in coverage. He was really productive against great competition and backed it up with a good all around combine. So, great value at 23 to me...Rob Rang had him going #5 overall, for example. This was pretty clearly a BPA pick as we have an elite pair of OLBs already on the roster, but Hali's time is clearly done at the end of this year, plus our defense relies so heavily on the position that it was basically a complete castration when both guys were out at the end of last year.

I REALLY would have enjoyed the Chefs taking JFF there (I started my Chefs JFF watch at pick #3); some other options I would have liked to see there ahead of Ford were Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Jordan Matthews, but there isn't anyone taken after Ford that makes me really sad.

Philip Gaines was a great pick. He's enough of an athlete that he could eventually be a legit CB1, but he's a bit of a project (especially vs the run). Fortunately we've got a year or two to let him develop and see what we've got. He's a stronger zone player than man, which fits the defense well.

DeAnthony Thomas is pretty meh. He was an electric player on the field in college but he didn't look good throughout the postseason. I assume he was drafted to contribute as a returner but I really don't see him being worth anything more than LaMichael James but smaller and more injury prone. If we wanted a running back there, we could have gone with Seastrunk; personally I think we should have gone WR (Kevin Norwood went a few picks later for example).

Aaron Murray was a good pick. He's got some really great tools and has a lot of upside; on the other hand he's basically Brodie Croyle 2.0. Nothing wrong with that; Croyle was a decent pick where we took him as well, but chances are he's going to wind up on the giant heap of terrible mid round QBs chosen by the Chiefs over the last 25 years.

Zach Fulton was a decent scheme pick, he's not got anywhere near the athleticism or technique to be a mobile blocker but he's big enough and strong enough to stand there and get in the way of things. I think he'll wind up being a rotational player inside, which is a role he's ready to play today.

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is pretty intriguing; I've only heard a handful of things about the guy. Sounds like an elite athlete who wrecked a bunch of high school caliber players and then showed some serious poo poo in the postseason. He's apparently got the size and athleticism to be a tackle in the NFL but he's obviously a major project so that means best case, three years from now he'll be signing with some other team to be their new superstar LT; worst case he's cut in camp.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

b0ng posted:

Love the enthusiasm, still don't like the pick though. Blocking TE's aren't really what 3rd round picks are for and it feels like the Texans were making a luxury pick when they don't have the luxury of picking players who on offense who do not have a lot of tape catching passes. I liked the trade up for Nix as the next pick (Although with him falling that far, his medical stuff must be pretty frightening) but with the sour taste Fiedorowicz left me with makes that pick not look so hot. Clowney and XSF were both good picks, but I really hoped that the Texans would grab Bridgewater with a trade up.

With that being said, I did not like the Cushing or Watt picks so I'm pretty dumb when it comes to how college players will fit into the NFL.

Fiederowicz is also a major red zone threat and Iowa had some real bad QBs so it's also an upside pick.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

bewbies posted:

Thoughts on the Chefs:

I'm a lot more enthusiastic about the Dee Ford pick than most people. He's an excellent athlete and skilled technical guy who already has some experience playing in coverage. He was really productive against great competition and backed it up with a good all around combine. So, great value at 23 to me...Rob Rang had him going #5 overall, for example. This was pretty clearly a BPA pick as we have an elite pair of OLBs already on the roster, but Hali's time is clearly done at the end of this year, plus our defense relies so heavily on the position that it was basically a complete castration when both guys were out at the end of last year.

One thing I did pick up on after watching some more tape is that Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning are going to own Ford with the hard count if he doesn't work on his snap discipline some. I saw multiple offsides penalties trying to get that extra step out of the gate, but those experienced guys will wreck him if he doesn't clean that up.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Picking up Teddy was huge for the offense, and there is potential for replacing at least one guard in the near future as well. Hopefully the new RB is a step up from Gerhardt. It seemed like Zimmer was going to use as much draft as possible on the defense, and a majority of players went there, but the few pickups on offense may be key pieces to getting things right again.

I'm frightened and confused about what I feel about the next few Vikings seasons. It's not like despair, or ennui, or dread. It feels very different than all of these things. I don't have words to describe it. Is this...h..hope? It feels strange to just use that part of the word, not to continue with it and say "hopeless".

The few pickups on offense they made were nice. Bridgewater was the QB that I wanted throughout the entire draft process and while he is not a given to work out, I think he will be a very good QB for the team. McKinnon is a risky pick, but I like his potential. Not sure if he is better than Gerhart, but he's a more explosive player and has potential to be a very interesting piece in Turner's offense and I do think that Yankey is the heir apparent to Johnson, it's just a question of how long it will take before he usurps him. I would have loved to see a receiver mixed in there, but I like their approach of going heavy on defense and trying to get that side of the ball under control.

I am hopeful about the season too. It's hard to say what my expectations are at this point, since so much is changing, but if Zimmer can get the defense working, then the talent is there on offense for them to be a playoff team. They are still a couple seasons away from being a contender, but the difference between 10-6 and 6-10 isn't that much.

Darth Brooks posted:

I'm really happy with Minnesota's draft. Oddly enough it's the Lineman drafted in the fifth round that I'm excited about. Most of the players picked are projects who need to be coached up for a could of years and then Maybe they'll be something special. Every draft has duds and it's almost certain someoen will fail out from the Vikings picks this year. It may even be Bridgewater or Barr. David Yankey seems to be someone who may be starting in week one. If he's the solid player he's said to be it would complete the O-line for a good number of years.

I think that Yankey will be the piece that solidifies the line, but he does have some things that he needs to work on, so Johnson may still start the season as the starter. I definitely agree that some of the moves won't work out. Hard to say which ones at this point, but at least I have confidence in the coaching staff's ability to develop players and put them in a position to succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I mean, it probably helps to have good human beings with leadership qualities on your team, but on the other hand I've given up on trying to make whatever point I set out to make when I started this sentence.

• Locked thread