Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Bears:

Rd 1 - #14(14) Kyle Fuller (CB) Va Tech: B. The Bears desperately needed a young guy in the secondary, and Fuller was probably the second-best guy available. I doubt he'll be anywhere as good as Tillman, but he should be a good replacement for Tim Jennings. Was going to give them a B- because Darqueze Dennard was available, but the run on DBs after this pick made this much wiser in retrospect

Rd 2 - #19(51) Ego Ferguson (DT) LSU: C-. The Bears also desperately needed young linemen, though they can afford to take fliers on projects for a year or two. Ferguson is definitely a project: only started one year in college, was a highly recruited guy coming out of high school, and is athletic. But None of his combine numbers really jumped out at me, and he's been criticized for getting blown off the line of scrimmage at times-the last thing the Bears D-Line needs. Louis Nix was available. And this pick makes a hell of a lot less sense given:

Rd 3 - #18(82) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St: A. Would have loved even had they taken him in the second round. There's a very good chance he winds up the best player out of this Bears draft class. There's also a very good chance he starts this year, given Jay Ratliff's health.

Rd 4 - #17(117) Ka'Deem Carey (RB) Arizona: B-. I liked Carey in college but I had no idea how abysmal his combine results were. But he's a good receiver and has good lateral speed, so he'll be a solid fit in Emery's offense. I doubt he can be the short yardage back the Bears really need, but I don't know if there were any guys like that left at this point in the draft.

Rd 4 - #31(131) Brock Vereen (S) Minnesota. A-. While the safety class had a big drop off after the first few picks, Vereen was probably the best of the rest. Another really good value pick. No idea if he can play free safety though, which is where he's most likely to play this year. Probably can't be worse than Chris Conte or Major Wright.

Rd 6 - #7(183) David Fales (QB) San Jose St: B+. Fales has a weak babby arm and tends to lob the ball, but he's got great accuracy and timing on short and medium throws. In other words, he's perfect for Emery's system. Don't be surprised if Fales has a few good games subbing in for Cutler and sparks another dumb QB controversy

Rd 6 - #15(191) Pat O'Donnell (P) Miami: A. Yeah yeah, its a cardinal rule that you shouldn't draft punters. But O'Donnell is a freak: ran a faster 40 than Carey, had nearly as many reps as Ferguson, and most importantly, averaged over 47 yards on punts last year. An immediate upgrade over Podelesh and should be the Bears punter for years.

Rd 7 - #31(246) Charles Leno (OT) Boise St: A. Great value, no idea why he fell this far. The Bears O-line really needs more depth, and Leno can play guard and tackle.

Overall: B+. The Bears got players at all the positions they needed, capitalized on a lot of late round picks, and Phil Emery made only one patented head scratcher of a selection. Only thing missing was a kick returner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread