Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jeanclaudtransam
Jul 31, 2008
Buccaneers

1-7 WR Mike Evans: I assumed they would target smaller, elusive receivers since that fits Tedford's history but the obvious pick was a good one. Everybody knows what a great prospect he is and it was a huge need. Great combo with V Jax. Not only as a pair on the field, but Evans has a great shot at success just by observing Jackson who really is an absolute professional. It's like a science experiment where the younger person can learn directly from the future version of himself how to succeed.

2-6 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins: ASJ is another basketball player who is incredibly smooth for his size with natural hands, legit speed and a knack for YAC. I thought he was misused like crazy at Washington. He was constantly running bubble screens and dinky 2 yard flares that took him out of the play, or kept in to block for Sankey where he's adequate if only due to his size. Whenever he got a chance to challenge downfield or across the middle he was open constantly. I thought before the draft that he could end up being the best TE from this class and I'm very happy we got him. We seriously were going to start Brandon Myers.

3-5 RB Charles Sims: This was a terrible pick. If you just want to view it as a sign of supreme no-confidence in Bobby Rainey or Jeff Demps, it makes the tiniest bit of sense but they have one of the deepest RB groups in the league. Sims is a combo back that draws the Matt Forte comparison but his running style is more Julius Jones to me. He's a great receiver but I can't see how he offers anything that Martin and Mike James can't do just as well. With paper thin lines, no nickel CB, no starting guard(s), it can't be justified. It's worse because without a 4th, this was their last pick for awhile and they passed on guys like Marcus Martin, Phil Gaines, Nix who could have actually helped.

5-3 OG Kadeem Edwards: A bit of a reach, FCS project. He's got good size but the tested athleticism is bad. I don't want to get picky this late but they needed a guard who could compete for a spot from day 1 and this guy won't be ready for a few years, if ever. Doesn't even fit what Tedford wants at G.

5-9 OT Kevin Pamphile: Here's a guy I actually really like. He tested very well and has only been on offense for a few years after playing DE. He moves really well but needs technique work and reps. Reminds me of Demar Dotson actually which is nice. Unfortunately they traded up using their 2015 5th rounder to get him when they should have just taken him at 5-3 since Edwards was a waste.

6-9 WR Robert Herron: Love this pick. They needed a slot guy and Herron is quick with good hands and gets open. Thank god for this WR depth. He can help us right away which is great for a 6th round pick.

Overall: The first three picks are interesting because they compare to Brandon Marshall, Martellus Bennett, and Matt Forte respectively. With Josh McCown and Jackson already in place with a middling O-line, they're building a carbon copy of the Bears offense from last season. Only problem is they have Tedford, not Trestman. It won't take much for them to improve on last year though so I'm fairly optimistic despite the terrible Sims pick. They waited far too long to take O-line and both guys are big time projects. Guard was easily the biggest need with possible replacement level players at both spots and they flubbed it. Maybe Carl Nicks will actually play this year. We'll see. Herron at the end is great though. Not a single defender which is incredible considering Lovie's history. It's a decent draft but it's also in my nature to trust the FO. That trust is insane however because they've done very little right since 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread