Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Up here there are more deer and moose on the road than cars. I converted my H13 headlights to HID, which I use for normal city driving. They're aimed low and I don't get flashed by others.

I converted the h10 floodbeams to HID as well. These throw light everywhere but arent really useful on the highway as they arent any brighter than the headlights. The HID's ive been running for a couple years, but highway 40 south of Grande Prairie is dark, single lane, with no shoulders. If the highway from Prince George is the "Highway of Tears" and the Highway from Fort Macmurray is the "Highway of Death", then Highway 40 South is surely the "Highway of Retarded Deer". You can use dead deer and Moose carcass as mile markers here.

The other day I shipped in some HongKong special Rigid knockoff LED lights. I did 2 20watt floods ounted on the a-pillars that will be aimed out at the ditches, and a flood/spot combo light bar 120watt pointed staight ahead. I used a relay and tapped into the factory flood power lead for the rest of the lights. This allows me to use the factory floodlight switch for a clean idiot proof install.

The lightbar is great. The a-pillar floods are useless right now due to white hood reflecting all the light back into the cab. I will point them out at a 45* angle and see if it improves. If it still is no good I can relocate those lights to the bumper and put some spots up top, or maybe vinyl wrap the hood in a flat black or fake carbon pattern.

Anyways, Total draw while idling with all lights on is just over 21 amps. Not bad for a wall of light! My father's setup is pulling over 30 amps with probably 1/2 the candle power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So did you really just post this thread in AI?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

13 INCH DICK posted:

So did you really just post this thread in AI?

I thought AI was modification friendly. I will wait until dark and show some on-off pictures against my garage door, perhaps it will be more interesting to you!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You live in Alberta so now you have to drive around during the day with that poo poo turned to "high," ideally directly in my field of vision.

I was going to throw some chinesium LED lightbars on a car for TSDs but couldn't find a decent supplier for the price I was willing to pay. Hopefully these are good!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

jonathan posted:

I thought AI was modification friendly. I will wait until dark and show some on-off pictures against my garage door, perhaps it will be more interesting to you!

It's a little less 'why the hell did you bolt LEDs and HIDs all over your Jeep?' and a little more 'why a whole new thread? you could've posted it in the what did you do to your car today thread, or the bricks with tractor motors thread'.
e: what ^ and v said too. There's not (as) many deer around Calgary but I've been in far more near misses because I've been blinded by non-projectored HIDs than near-misses with deer. Most of the truckers around here get a pair of 4-LED ones, aim the left one low-center and the right one at the ditch, and it seems to work just as well as OMFGHIDLIGHTWALL, without blinding anyone.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 11, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Modification friendly, yeah. If you were using those for offroading, I don't think anyone'd even blink at you. But running them on a road at all is a recipe for loving over someone coming the other way who pops over a hill unexpectedly into being loving blind.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

This is a very non-AI post, good sir/madam. Please refrain yourself from emitting such large quantities of lumens in any direction they see fit.

Thank you, everyone else on the road.

P.S. You suck.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You live in Alberta so now you have to drive around during the day with that poo poo turned to "high," ideally directly in my field of vision.

I was going to throw some chinesium LED lightbars on a car for TSDs but couldn't find a decent supplier for the price I was willing to pay. Hopefully these are good!

I was recommended this store from the offroad thread: http://stores.ebay.ca/xxltechnology/
Shipping took 1 week over a long weekend. Not bad!

I also purchased from this guy who ships from Calgary: http://stores.ebay.ca/canadianfactoryoutlet/
Free shipping and quick.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

jonathan posted:

Listen I love being a gigantic dick as much as the next guy but once I got to the part with the mental gymnastics required to be able to post about lovely misaimed Chinese HID's that, quote, throw light everywhere, the rest of your post just sort of turned into the sound of a man farting directly into he own mouth in my head.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Devyl posted:

This is a very non-AI post, good sir/madam. Please refrain yourself from emitting such large quantities of lumens in any direction they see fit.

Thank you, everyone else on the road.

P.S. You suck.

There is nobody on the road. At night time it's literally 400km between fuel stations, no cell service for large areas, goes down to -40* and dodging deer/moose/elk is a constant job. Consider these lights a required safety precaution.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tommychu posted:

It's a little less 'why the hell did you bolt LEDs and HIDs all over your Jeep?' and a little more 'why a whole new thread? you could've posted it in the what did you do to your car today thread, or the bricks with tractor motors thread'.
e: what ^ and v said too. There's not (as) many deer around Calgary but I've been in far more near misses because I've been blinded by non-projectored HIDs than near-misses with deer. Most of the truckers around here get a pair of 4-LED ones, aim the left one low-center and the right one at the ditch, and it seems to work just as well as OMFGHIDLIGHTWALL, without blinding anyone.

The SAE/DOT spec LED headlights on the the trucks lately are way way worse than poorly aimed HID retrofits. Those loving things are really bright and right at eye level to the average car. They're pretty much all I hear complaints about right now. I might be running illegal but atleast I can shut all my stuff off and just go down to halogen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do what you gotta do to keep the mooses out of your grille, but if you hit me with them i'm taking your lane.

You'll also probably want to cap the upper lights when you're not regularly using them, or you'll be pulling them off on the side of the road at some point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tommychu posted:

Something Awful: The megathread-only forum!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Something Awful: The megathread-only forum!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > I changed my air filter today!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Deer freak me out. When I see one I know there are always more nearby. Haven't been in moose country much though. I know I would like lights that shine off into the side too so I could see them coming. Obviously please don't unintentionally blind somebody though. I know that annoys AIers (me too).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CharlesM posted:

Deer freak me out. When I see one I know there are always more nearby. Haven't been in moose country much though. I know I would like lights that shine off into the side too so I could see them coming. Obviously please don't unintentionally blind somebody though. I know that annoys AIers (me too).

Yeah I hate that. I would never have them on with oncoming traffic.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Coming from the land of suicidal kangaroos, I know where your coming from about needing a LOT of light at night. The cruiser runs seperate hi/low beams, so theres 210w of Phillips Xtreme Power Halogens, then theres a pair of 55w Halogen flood/ditch lights in the bullbar and a pair of 50w HID Lightforces in the middle, and you STILL flatten the loving things.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I know everybody is really mad about this, but I'd love to see better output pics, OP.

I'm especially curious about that light bar on it's own ... My rig is getting ... Something like that.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

jonathan posted:

The SAE/DOT spec LED headlights on the the trucks lately are way way worse than poorly aimed HID retrofits. Those loving things are really bright and right at eye level to the average car. They're pretty much all I hear complaints about right now. I might be running illegal but atleast I can shut all my stuff off and just go down to halogen.

right after you notice the guy you're blinding, sure, you turn them off. you also are a assfuck human being.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Method Loser posted:

right after you notice the guy you're blinding, sure, you turn them off. you also are a assfuck human being.
Sorry Jonathan, I understand why you want the lights, but this is not a statement I can find much disagreement with.

Don't you have that Hino hybrid 6x6 thing? Just drive that, you hit a deer, it's staying hit.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Can none of you guys see a cars lights coming around corners or over crests? Its really loving obvious when someone is coming, especially on the pitch black small Canadian highways

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Method Loser posted:

This.

Actually I am swapping out my HID retrofit headlights back to a normal h13 halogen bulb. I don't need the brightness of normal driving lights now that I have optional auxiliary lights. The extra lights really help light up the truck stops where I go to get my rear end hosed by faggots.

I haven't had time to aim the lightbar or floods yet.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

D C posted:

Can none of you guys see a cars lights coming around corners or over crests? Its really loving obvious when someone is coming, especially on the pitch black small Canadian highways

Oh only for 10km. And in the Winter you get those neat "light spikes" from the ice crystals in the air that lets you see oncoming cars for 20 miles or so even if there is a mountain in the way.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InitialDave posted:

Sorry Jonathan, I understand why you want the lights, but this is not a statement I can find much disagreement with.

Don't you have that Hino hybrid 6x6 thing? Just drive that, you hit a deer, it's staying hit.

Hino project is slowly coming together. It's at Daddy's shop and I'm in another province so I only get to work on it when I visit Vancouver.

Here is a light duty bumper used for when there isn't a deck on the back, to hang mudflaps from etc.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

After living in BFE suicidal deer country I can kind of understand this. Although depending on how dense trees are in some areas (not sure how it is where you live) I'm not sure a ghetto bird spotlight would help. Where I lived they came flying out of the tree lines and no amount of light would have enabled you to see through trees to help the situation.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Holy poo poo what a beatdown of a thread.

I an very interested in the latest generation of LED lights, so thanks for the thread, jonathan.

My usage is actually looking at using them with a good DC driver for garage lighting... some of those light bars would be badass.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

meatpimp posted:

Holy poo poo what a beatdown of a thread.

It's OK, I am King AI around here. Sometimes my ways are so unorthodox that the commoners need time before the creative awesomeness of my mods sink in and become lusted after.

I've been met with similar resistance to my 800 horsepower 2600 pound Mustang. My clean and spotless lifted Cherokee XJ that one could flip upside down and eat off of. My Hino delivery van turned 47" tire 6x6 Camping base station, and my Jeep JK Rubicon which I went up 3 tire sizes and lowered the suspension 3".

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

jonathan posted:

It's OK, I am King AI around here. Sometimes my ways are so unorthodox that the commoners need time before the creative awesomeness of my mods sink in and become lusted after.

I've been met with similar resistance to my 800 horsepower 2600 pound Mustang. My clean and spotless lifted Cherokee XJ that one could flip upside down and eat off of. My Hino delivery van turned 47" tire 6x6 Camping base station, and my Jeep JK Rubicon which I went up 3 tire sizes and lowered the suspension 3".
I remember all of these except the mustang. Still got it? I want details!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krakkles posted:

I remember all of these except the mustang. Still got it? I want details!

I originally joined SA because of the AI forum.

I had this at the time:

10pt Cage,
Spooled 8.8 diff
Faux full interior (Looked stock but gutted underneath)
Dual Aeromotive a1000 fuel pumps, 2x -8 feed lines,
AEM Standalone fuel injection with dual wideband o2
Built C4 w/ reverse manual valve body
MSD Digital Ignition
UPR Chromoly front and rear suspension, coilovers. I cant remember which shocks, QA1 maybe ?
Custom built water/ethanol injection (Controlled via AEM ecu)
ford racing block with trickflow R intake and worked over heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam
Paxton Novi2000 Renegade supercharger with cog drive setup

I did all the wrenching except block and rotating assembly balance and machining, and the cage welding and aluminum fab I had Chief Chassis in Vancouver do. The machining was done by Cranberry Connection racing in Richmond BC. They held the record for the quickest and fastest Ford promod in the world for a bunch of years.

The above picture was when I assembled it and was going to use a nitrous setup. On the motor no nitrous it went 12.08 which wasn't bad through an auto on the rev limiter (Stock ecu at the time)
I then pulled it apart, swapped out the shortblock for the stronger fordracing block and went with a lower 9:1 compression and went the supercharger route. I got it back together mostly but never ran it at the track. It also was mini-tubbed to clear the 28x10.5" slicks. I ran out of room once I went to a 10" wide wheel. I ended up selling it off after the old lady and I called it quits and had to move etc.

Anyways the car was sold to a shady character who paid me in bags of twenty dollar bills. I believe he's serving time for drug trafficking in a Washington or California prison now.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 18, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's pretty badass.

Also, you apparently have very similar taste in cars to me (I have a Mustang and a Jeep now).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm running some fairly bright LEDs on the Audi, but I aimed them pretty far to the ground to avoid blinding oncoming.

Still lime them better thsn my stock driving lights

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

jonathan posted:

My clean and spotless lifted Cherokee XJ that one could flip upside down and eat off of.

A spotless Cherokee is an abomination unto the Lord. :colbert:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Update:

Swapped out my headlight HID kit and stuck it for sale on my local facebook buy/sell page. It was gone within 15 minutes.

Put in some sylvania ultra h13 bulbs. After having HID's which put out good usable light in a nice wide beam, these "premium" bulbs suck. Maybe it's just typical Jeep/Chrysler design garbage but the headlights in Jeeps are junk and too dim.

I wanted GE Nighthawk's or Phillips bulbs, but it seems like everyone in this town only carries Sylvania.

I am selling off the LED light bar because it's a spot/flood combo, and I am installing a "pencil beam/spot" replacement. I have enough flood light already, so I'd rather have the lightbar strictly for long distance deer spotting.

The 20" lightbar is advertised at a little over 10,000 lumens. I see that there are also curved versions available on ebay now, however I cannot find a strict spot beam version.

Once the new one arrives I will do some demonstrations using a fixed aperture and exposure camera so display the difference.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

atomicthumbs posted:

A spotless Cherokee is an abomination unto the Lord. :colbert:

Oh it was used in all sorts of creative ways but it was purchased super clean and was washed after use. I miss that thing.

It was stolen, and recovered without a battery, they knifed up the carpet and interior, knifed up the engine bay harnesses and vacuum lines, stole the $28 dollar summit racing cragar steel wheels, stole the catalytic converter, and bent up the track bar and a control arm putting it into a ditch.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jonathan posted:

Oh it was used in all sorts of creative ways but it was purchased super clean and was washed after use. I miss that thing.

It was stolen, and recovered without a battery, they knifed up the carpet and interior, knifed up the engine bay harnesses and vacuum lines, stole the $28 dollar summit racing cragar steel wheels, stole the catalytic converter, and bent up the track bar and a control arm putting it into a ditch.

This pisses me off, I've had a similar thing. Break into my car to steal the stereo, ok, that's a standard thing, and already annoying. Finding out that there isn't a stereo, or anything else worth having, and so deciding to put a brick through the windscreen for the fun of it, yeah, that's being a proper twat for the sake of it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

InitialDave posted:

This pisses me off, I've had a similar thing. Break into my car to steal the stereo, ok, that's a standard thing, and already annoying. Finding out that there isn't a stereo, or anything else worth having, and so deciding to put a brick through the windscreen for the fun of it, yeah, that's being a proper twat for the sake of it.

Well, why couldn't you just have a nice goddamned stereo in there for the poor bastard? Some people! v:v:v

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Splizwarf posted:

Well, why couldn't you just have a nice goddamned stereo in there for the poor bastard? Some people! v:v:v
I did. The previous fucker who broke in stole it!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Newfies stole my light bar. LoL. I was told they're selling them to Prince George residents who want to use them for Grow ops.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jonathan posted:

Newfies stole my light bar. LoL. I was told they're selling them to Prince George residents who want to use them for Grow ops.

Do LEDs have a wide enough spectrum to grow things well? White LED is a spike at blue and at yellow (due to it being a blue LED and a phosphor), right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Raluek posted:

Do LEDs have a wide enough spectrum to grow things well? White LED is a spike at blue and at yellow (due to it being a blue LED and a phosphor), right?

They make specific light temperatures for different stages of growing. Plants in a vegetative stage need blue spectrum light, whereas flowering plants need more red spectrum. Most of the grow lights/bulbs you purchase have a color temperature listed on them somewhere.

Here's a chart from a manufacturer:

(No, I don't grow marijuana. Hydroponic vegetables are great if you want to grow something from an incompatible region and have extra indoor space.)

• Locked thread