Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Checked the valves in both the engines. This is the 02 that is spray painted black.

This is the OG 03.

The 02 engine will be going into the 00 frame. I really want to have the fly wheels lightened by 10oz or maybe more but thats low on the priority list right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Dr Frankenstein, I presume?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The engine was very rough on the outside. The drive sprocket was missing two or three teeth, it was leaking oil from the shifter shaft, it was spray painted black, and I was willing to bet it was trashed. Compression is good so maybe there is hope. Theres also a broken exhaust bolt in the head:

It looks like someone tried to drill into it previously and its p hosed up in general. Suggestions or recommendations to fix it or gently caress it are welcome.

I started working on the receiving frame. I lubed all the little bushings in the rear suspension and installed a BBR rear spring.

I took it all apart and greased poo poo up

Torqued it all to spec

The longest journey begins with a single step etc etc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Doesn't look like there's enough meat around the hole to do a helicoil/timesert. Drill it out with a massive bit, weld up the hole, tap a new hole.

Or melt the bike in the furnace.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Nah the 2000 frame is in great shape and the 2002 engine is rough /looking/ but will work fine, no furnaces needed.

I drilled the hole out and found a bolt that fit the diameter. I stuffed it into my vice and angle grinded it in half and jb welded the ground end in the case. It has been curing for about 6 hours now and I tightened down the exhaust on to it and there was no apparent issues. I don't have much long term confidence in it but it is easy to repair the same exact way forever so whatever.

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 7, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's the fail temperature for JB weld?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

beats me but lets see how it does shall we

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
500F(260C) constant. 600F(316C) for 10 minutes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's gotta be pretty high. I've seen guys building 302s that used JB weld to affix the pushrod guide tubes into the head. Willing to bet those see a reasonable amount of heat even though they're not directly exposed to the exhaust runners.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I decided to use the 2003 engine instead of the 2002. I mounted it with the bbr frame brace and this supertrapp exhaust. I assume the can has been modified since it is rear exiting but maybe not? I don't know anything about it and a quick GIS shows nothing similar.

I need to order tires as well as come up with a plan for the front end / bars / controls. I am going to wait until I get the back end put together and have the footpegs and poo poo installed back on before doing that though. I am also on the fence about carb size. Stock carb is a 24mm (26mm inlet ID) and I see it widely recomended in xr circles to upgrade to a 26mm (30mm inlet ID) carb. I don't know if it would be worth the effort to install and run the larger carb with only the exhaust. Larger carb means pod filter rather than stock airbox as well.

With any hope, maybe the 02 engine can serve as a science experiment for my future learning adventures. Slap a big bore kit on it and keep the 03 chassis as an offroad/trail beater bike.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Used JB Weld to patch the hole on my former V-Star 250's crank case. Held up just fine. No more oil leaks.

E: Not very hot on the exterior of the case, but either way the stuff's great.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I have everything I need to finish the bike now, except for a tube. I pinched the front tube installing the tire but I got the back one done okay. Installed 420 chain and sprockets versus stock 428, BBR chain guide, and some cheap chinese pedals im going to replace.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

braaaap

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AHAW

Ninja

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I do have a small thing to work out but its not really a big deal. This is a 2000 frame. The 2000 gas tank and seat are completely different that 01+ and the only pre 2001 part I have is a left hand side number plate. The frame on the 01+ curves up to about seat height where the 00 ends and thats where it bolts the seat to the frame.

The seat "fits" and is supported by the frame, just not where it bolts together. I was thinking about just slapping a U bolt through the seat where it rests on the frame just above the large Fox logo. Spray paint the seat... tray? frame? w/e, paint it black so its not super obvious.

The 01+ number plates nearly fit but the rear mount hole is a 1/2" or so off.

The left hole is actually the location the of the 01+ rubber grommet to mount the number plate.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress it, everything into the 2003 frame.

Just waiting on some new jets right now. Stock is 38p 95m or 35p 98m depending on the year, I will be going to 40p 105m with the pipe per BBR's jetting chart

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1XHLtR2Yno

eeeets alive

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How fast would you expect to be able to go on that? In km/mph terms? I've always wanted to pick up a tiny dirt bike to learn dirtybike things on but I worry that I'd end up buying something that ends up being frustratingly gutless on the beach or w/e.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I could tell you exactly with the gearing calculator but like 35mph

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

How fast would you expect to be able to go on that? In km/mph terms? I've always wanted to pick up a tiny dirt bike to learn dirtybike things on but I worry that I'd end up buying something that ends up being frustratingly gutless on the beach or w/e.

As long as it wheelies on your neighborhood lawns I'm sure you'd be fine.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

What the gently caress.

My name is Dan.

I live in Maine.

I was just told this thread exists.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Also I have a lovely Ninja 250 you should buy so I don't have to deal with the rolling dumpster fire that is craigslist.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Slavvy posted:

If you're John Connor, you're dead.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhGwlC0mcDU

They allow my original video now, yay.

Slowisfast, we know each other on irc

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Took advantage of this lovely 40 degree weather and had some fun in the sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm-BZeIhVX0

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

EX250 Type R posted:

This video delivers on EVERY level.

I'm gonna jump out of the back of the truck onto wet snow. BAFFF bike down.

Across the snow onto plywood. BAFFFF bike down.

Without a care in the world. It's wonderful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

This is incredible. Does doing that hurt the bike at all? Like I picture all sorts of little fittings and the levers etc just shattering from that fall out the back of the truck.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Things break yeah, levers, shifters, brake pedal, etc, but everything is 20 bucks or less and I have Amazon Prime so hakuna matata

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

Things break yeah, levers, shifters, brake pedal, etc, but everything is 20 bucks or less and I have Amazon Prime so hakuna matata

i wanna drop out of college and go study with you for a winter. do you take apprentices?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think I have enough spare motors to facilitate your training :P

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm mailbox and this is my favorite thread on CA. Supermoto XR100s are cool bikes for cool dudes and you should all get one just like me and Dan.

This is in no way a compulsory post.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

I'm mailbox and this is my favorite thread on CA. Supermoto XR100s are cool bikes for cool dudes and you should all get one just like me and Dan.

This is in no way a compulsory post.

How many bikes do you have now you addicted motherfucker?

I am green with envy. :cry:

Edit
Vvvv
I got 2 big friends and a pickup. PM me your addy.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 7, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Chichevache posted:

How many bikes do you have now you addicted motherfucker?

I am green with envy. :cry:

There are 4 in my house, I own 3 of them.

Send help!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Now post pics Razzled!!

In other news, I am now officially #69 for this race season! I can now order my decals and find the motivation to fix the number plate / muffler issue I currently have been avoiding.

I also created http://www.gofundme.com/XR100Supermoto

Let your conscience be your guide

edit: stupid homophones

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 7, 2015

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Nailed some more jumps today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNbq1LSFvM

I am working on making a team logo right now thanks to Minkee and Fiverr.com so I can get some apparel made. Remember, Team Dan #69 shirts are free with a 25 dollar donation!

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I'm ready for some more sick jumpz once the tundra thaws. Also will we get bonus race footage once the season starts?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

Nailed some more jumps today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNbq1LSFvM

I am working on making a team logo right now thanks to Minkee and Fiverr.com so I can get some apparel made. Remember, Team Dan #69 shirts are free with a 25 dollar donation!

The little dog was trying to help you pick it up :3:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Awesome :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
In case anyone was confused about supermoto XR100s being completely awesome-- even Elena Myers is doin' it!

• Locked thread