Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Alright during my time out I made a website that I will update regularly. Mayhem Monday? Wipeout Wednesday? Taco Tuesday? (thats real my kids favorite and it can be any day of the week because they don't know they're kids!)

https://www.teamdan69.com

In other news,

Monday I mail out an XR flywheel to get a diet and my number decals /should/ be here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Go Team Dan!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

Alright during my time out I made a website that I will update regularly. Mayhem Monday? Wipeout Wednesday? Taco Tuesday? (thats real my kids favorite and it can be any day of the week because they don't know they're kids!)

https://www.teamdan69.com

In other news,

Monday I mail out an XR flywheel to get a diet and my number decals /should/ be here

Serious question: what does the shirt look like and would you send me one if I supported you?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Shirts are probably going to be white with the black logo with a large 69 on the back jersey style, but nothing is set in stone. My t shirt making friend is on vacation right now, but I hope to have all that sorted out in the next few weeks.

And of course I would Slavvy, I am not a monster!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I am waiting on the USPS to bring me parts that were supposed to be here thursday. Since I am unable to ride, I would like to introduce my newest TEAM DAN 69 rider

Animal!! and her debut film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvBA80lYaa8

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hahaha that video is the best

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Haha cool video. Cracked up at the dog offering its support in the beginning.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Haha

..what is that song called?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shimrod posted:

Haha

..what is that song called?

Uptown funk yo.

Excellent video.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

I am waiting on the USPS to bring me parts that were supposed to be here thursday. Since I am unable to ride, I would like to introduce my newest TEAM DAN 69 rider

Animal!! and her debut film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvBA80lYaa8

PW50?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
That's an adorable video. How old is your daughter and what is she riding?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Her PW50 and she is 5. She has been scared of it the past two years but now she is dominating on it and is in love. The front suspension compresses and the front tire will knock the spark plug boot off though. Not sure how to fix that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PVC pipe spacers inside the forks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

Her PW50 and she is 5. She has been scared of it the past two years but now she is dominating on it and is in love. The front suspension compresses and the front tire will knock the spark plug boot off though. Not sure how to fix that.

That is awesome! My fiance and I totally want one now (kid or bike, makes no difference). There are actually some pretty :3: videos on youtube of PW50s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqL6jJD_8F0

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Thanks Slavvy I will check into that. I take it you mean cut a section of appropriately sized pvc and drop it into the inside of a fork leg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km5ENFzmXvY

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup. Also a good way to set preload on bikes with no preload adjuster like hyosungs, CB hondas etc. You use PVC cause it flexes/compresses on bottom out so it'll stop your plug boot getting bumped without loving the forks.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Just a little connector thing stuffed into the wire. I punched a hole in the end and crammed it on the plug. Runs great now.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A+ video

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So this is why people have kids. She's tearing it up out there.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Avatar opportunity blowing up that dudes face

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Welp what's the gofundme link again, #teamdan69 needs our help

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I ain't getting put in the corner again

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

It's time to go (baby) racing

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIOIPz8-O7Q

XR100 supermoto race (with bonus lap because im a newb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4QqHFlFK1U

GP50 class on the same bike, just asphalt.

The rear chatters and hops a lot on the fast turns and the suspension oscillates when i come off the throttle in 3rd into what I think is turn 2. I think if I get the stiffer bbr fork springs it will eliminate the suspension bouncing, which could be in turn the cause of the chatter. idk

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

That looks like way more fun than enduro or harescrambles. Sign me up

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

It is about a 30-45 minute drive due south of Fryeburg Me / Conway NH and totally worth it. The mix of people with different levels of experience, age, and money was interesting but everyone was very friendly and helpful. Next race is a double header June 6th and 7th and an away race at (I think) VIR in July 18th/19th.

It has been recommended to swap in 20wt fork oil and 1/4" spacers so I have fork oil on the way and we'll see if that sorts out the suspension.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Flywheel machined by Firepower Minis. I didn't weigh it before I shipped it but it is 11.6oz lighter than my other flywheel.

I shortened the chain and cleaned and lubed it. Got the flywheel on and tried to clean up some of the dirt and gunk off everywhere.

The forks are off and and I am going to swap 20wt fork oil in them with some spacers to hopefully eliminate the suspension oscillations and chatter. With luck that should be completed by Friday and I should begin track construction to spice it up a little.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I put in 20wt fork oil filled to 4" from the top with 1/3" stack of washers on top of the spring, I don't have a test track so I will have to wait until the next race weekend (June 6th and 7th, double header weekend) to find out if things are better/worse/etc.

Flywheel was installed and I had mixed opinions on it. I think my idle was set way too low which gave me some troubles with restarting with a hot engine. The flywheel took some getting used to and I was stalling a lot, but now that I set the idle higher, things are much nicer.

I can definitely feel the motor rev faster and I think strong valve springs are going to be next.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Round 2 double header race weekend begins

#TeamDan

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

My luxurious accommodations. I forgot tent stakes so I had to drive an hour to Walmart for some since no store in between carried them

A variety of some of the bikes involved in racing.

Whacked an apex thing with the foot peg and this was my result.

2nd place

The bike had/has serious issues but there is plenty of time to work them out. I broke a spoke the last race so the rear wheel needs a lot of attention and also needs rear wheel bearings and I am going to change out sprockets to -1/+2. It also appears the oil seal behind the drive sprocket also seems to have become an automatic chain lubrication system. My work is cut out for me but there is plenty of time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are you allowed to change rim sizes and is that possible on an XR100?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Yes, there is a father/son duo that run the same classes I do that have 17s with slicks. I guess the track owner stumbles across all sorts of things on his racing travels and is a great source for used 17" slicks. Apparently it isn't super tricky because the CL? CB? 125 used stock 17" wheels that lace in the same pattern as the XR 16s.

The only example I have of what was happening, it was quite a handful.

Lots of fun despite the problems though.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Birthday present to replace the cheap chinese garbage that I had

Also got a new pair of boots to replace my old ones that died on their third season of service, rip

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAJTP3UIF1Y

No training wheels, no problem. Told him to get it done and he nailed it. His name is also Dan and he too is a biek-a-holic, at just a wee 3.5 years of age.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
You've got some hardcore kids, man. :rock:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You are raising your children in the objectively correct way.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
looks like he was trying to back it in.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The black rubber inlet on the cylinder head failed and was sucking in unmetered air. The part has two unconnected aluminum sleeves surrounded in rubber. It gets hot and the rubber gets soft. Because the carb mounts directly to the inlet, it puts pressure and stress right in the middle where it is just rubber and forces it to flex and bend until it wears a crack in it. I tried to half rear end a fix but it is just fully replaced at this point.

I swapped some HD valve springs in the other day but decided to go hog wild and order a camshaft, CR85 1/8th turn throttle, and a larger carb. I am hoping I picked the correct ebay knock off carb but I will know more in a few days. The idea was to get a 24mm carb for an 83-85 ATC 200X but I don't think chinese ebay carburetor sellers have a standardized form of measurement yet. The outside appearance is basically identical but it is what is on the inside that counts. I have no idea what to expect from the cam but I will give it a try. Worst case scenario I end up getting an aftermarket head with oversized valves and make something interesting. My wife also ordered a new rear wheel which should solve my issues with wheel hop etc.

I have been working waaaaay too much lately and the weather on my days off has been rainy, but one of these days everything will be sorted out properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I don't have much in the way of pics. I have to "watch" the kids while wrenching which is like herding cats so I don't really bother documenting things.

I tore the top end down to work on things and whatever. I installed heavy duty valve springs and a Kitaco cam. I think it is the Kitaco Ultra SE cam but I forgot to triple check the part numbers to be 100% positive. When I put it back together yesterday things didn't quite sound right. The cam chain or rockers or valve springs were ticking or clicking. It reminded me of when I was in high school and would run my 92 Subaru legacy wagon out of oil just about and the lifters would tick like mad.

Anywho, I tore the bike down again today. Rechecked and retorqued everything. Found no issues but its quieter now so mission accomplished.

When I tore the bike down the first time I was a little careless and nicked the crown of the piston:

I filed it down some, the bike runs and everything seems to be okay:

The real fun though is with the carb...

So I have been interested in a larger carb for awhile. I tried to get carbs previous but the chinese ebay carb scene is tricky. I finally ended up with a "pz26" carb but the jets look like nothing I have seen online:

So fiddling around last night with some other carbs and carb parts I found that the "needle jet tube" or "emulsion tube" from the stock carb main jet fit the knock off. I have some spare round main jets in the perfect size from an EX250 jet kit I have kicking around. I put a 115 main in with the 40 pilot I normally run in the smaller carb. Smaller carb was 110/40. I took the stock needle, dropped the clip down one so it is now 2nd from the bottom. I installed a CR85 1/8th turn throttle with a cr85 throttle cable and.... wow, it rips.

The throttle response is so crisp and the bike just comes alive. I do need to dial in the idle a bit, it doesn't want to start without half choke, but once it is going it runs great.

Next up is getting the rear wheel set up, probably next week. Thanks to my wife I have a brand new rear wheel. I have a tubeless tire with a hole in it that is nearly the right size (100/80-16 vs 100/90-16) which came off the ninja in April. It is an Avon Viper Stryke front tire and I don't know how it compares to the Bridgestone BT45, but I have it and it is free and since it will be with a tube, there should be no problems.

• Locked thread