Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Needing choke on startup is pretty normal if it's cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
It has always fired first or second kick no choke while cold so its just a change. The idle is really low so that doesn't help either. I like the bike to fire up no matter what basically because kick starting the bike on the side of the track sucks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Probably running a bit rich before - not the end of the world but something to keep in mind as you tube :)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I am using the same 40 pilot jet that I was running in the smaller carb so I know I leaned it out on the bottom some. I tried to help that out with lower the needle clip. The honda needle also appears to have a different profile than the ebay carb but I didn't compare too closely.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

I am using the same 40 pilot jet that I was running in the smaller carb so I know I leaned it out on the bottom some. I tried to help that out with lower the needle clip. The honda needle also appears to have a different profile than the ebay carb but I didn't compare too closely.

When you're kickstarting it on the side of the track, won't it already be warm? So less of an issue?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I know when I had my idle adjusted low previously it was hard to start when warm. I raised it a bit and had no problems in recent memory hot or cold.

I am mostly surprised everything worked considering there was no real plan beyond throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Double header race weekend with a 4 hour open practice Friday, gonna be a looooong week waiting for the fun to begin...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Completed another double header race weekend at Boxshop Speedway and there are only two more race days left in the season.

I got there Friday and started running open practice. The Avon rear tire was very greasy and did not want to hook up. Eventually I low sided and my home made exhaust bracket became disconnected. So I went back to my area, I pulled the tire and swapped for my well used BT45.

The only pic I took all weekend

I couldn't get the bead set correctly on that and when I tried to over pressure it to get it to pop, I blew a tube. I only had one spare and I /always/ pop tubes it seems. After a nerve racking installation I finally got it figured out. I went out on to the track but still things weren't right and the bead was still off. I took everything back apart and left it that way until saturday morning.

Saturday's practice went well and during the afternoon heat and main I only crashed on the warm up laps. I ended up in 3rd overall in my race behind a KLX140 and a really done-up (and im pretty sure not-class-legal) XR100.

Sunday was the same story without the warm up lap crash but I did low side in a corner and the person behind me nailed my bike and went for a ride. He got his bell rung hard but raced later after EMTs checked him out.

Since nothing can ever, EVER, go correctly... Sunday during my GP50 Main race my bike starting bogging and dying like the choke was on or something. I got it off the track back to my pit and looked down only to find my floatbowl half off and gas just pouring out of my carb. I was missing 1 bolt and the other two were loose. I had about 10 minutes before the XR main race so I was in a pretty good panic. I managed to pull the carb off the very hot engine and around the very hot exhaust with minimal burning, tightened my two remaining screws, and hoped for the best. About the time I got it on the bike we had to roll out to the line and still someone had to give me a bump start.

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 10, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm glad you didn't set yourself on fire.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm sad you didn't set yourself on fire a little bit.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I thought I had video from that race but apparently I got only the 3 seconds following me turning the camera on so it would have been a waste of a good burning

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M65oVXtfgyQ

Not a specifically exciting race but I fall over a bunch of times

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
drat dude you were looking like a baller till you dumped it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I wish I had the heat race from Saturday where I finished 2nd overall but I only took video Sunday. It was a double fun race because I crashed on the warm up lap going over the table top and landing on the rear tire of the DRZ.

• Locked thread