Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I would just like to point out that Pit-Spawn Orcs are really, really nasty.

They're mooks and only do 5 damage, but they have a crit range of 17+ and when they crit (which is likely) then every Pit-Spawn Orc in the battle gets +1 to damage until the end of the fight. With no cap.

Last week I had groups of mooks doing 15 damage each (30 on a crit). :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Basically the Occultist spends his standard action to "focus" a spell, and then on other people's turns he spends the focus to cast interrupt spells on certain triggers (like an enemy missing, one of your party gets staggered, someone failing a save, etc.).

It's like the opposite of the warlord; instead of letting people take actions on his turn, the Occultist takes his actions on other people's turns.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

To the bestiary preorders, the playtest is up.
If you're still on the fence about this book...two words: Symbiotic Items. :getin:

e: Two more words: Gelatinous Dodecahedron :allears:

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 19, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Took me a little while to realize you were talking about the bestiary.

That has been up for a while, I meant the 13 True Ways playtest material, that bestiary preorders get too, went up today.

Did it? I'm looking at my Pelgrane page and it says the True Ways classes were last updated on Feb. 19th. Although I was in the Kickstarter, and didn't order it through the store page, so I technically don't have an order for it.

e: Just so I'm not confusing people more, I'm talking about the Monk/Commander/third one preview.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

You should see "Download 13 True Ways Chaos Mage, Necromancer, & Occultist preview as zipped PDFs now." This playtest does not have updated versions of the Monk, Druid, or Commander to my disappointment, but does show off some cool, new classes. .
Yeah, I have that Chaos Mage/Necro/Occultist one. I thought people were saying there's a new Monk preview.

Basically I have no idea what everyone's talking about.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

waderockett posted:

Here's what's available to playtest:

PACKET 1: Commander, Druid and Monk - last updated in February. Available to people who purchased the 13th Age escalation edition, pre-ordered the Bestiary, and/or who backed 13 True Ways. Rob says we probably have enough feedback on those classes to make necessary changes, so you probably won't see updated versions until 13 True Ways goes on pre-order and the draft-in-progress of the entire book is made available to customers. That will happen when it's ready, but we're aiming for later this month or early June.

PACKET 2: Chaos Mage, Necromancer and Occultist - made available this past Friday to 13 True Ways backers, and to Bestiary pre-order customers today.

Okay, at least now I know that I'm not missing something. Thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I was going through monster stats, and I just noticed something...are there no monsters that can heal other ones?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Which is odd, given that there's a mosnter (orc berzerker) that specifically says it can't be healed at a certain point.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So in my Organized Play session tonight, the players got to describe what happens when an army of orcs gets crushed under the feet of a koru behemoth.

One player said that the orcs got crushed so hard, it broke through the ground and pushed them through into long forgotten caverns under the battlefield where the unlucky survivors would wind up being used as training dummies for a colony of wererats, who were training for an upcoming martial tournament for the right to battle the multi-headed Rat King for possession of his crown of thorns.

We had to cut him off there.

Now I gotta write this up because holy poo poo wererat martial arts tournament.

That boy's going to be an amazing GM someday.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There'a actually a game store about 45 minutes from my place doing Free RPG Day, although I doubt that I'll be able to get there before all the kits are gone. What level is the adventure, anyway?

Maybe I'll bring some pregens and see if I can run a pick-up game. :buddy:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, how'd you get the module already?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

When you're an Icon, branding is very important.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm reading the adventure now. I like how they're doing something short to break up the whole "fight orcs for three months solid" thing. I think I'll see if any of my players want to try out the playtest classes for it too.

Still not 100% sure how this adventure is supposed to work, though...

e: I do really like the idea of using Icon relationship dice to avoid traps, though.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 4, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's a way of getting around the fact that relationship rolls aren't that useful in Organized Play since (by the nature of organized play in general) you need to follow a scripted adventure. Like, one whole season was the group running in front of an army of orcs in the frozen wastes, so there weren't a lot of chances to have NPCs come in. Most of the time they just translate into "an agent of _________ shows up and gives you a magic item".

Basically they're normal traps (it's a DC to notice them before they get one attack against however many targets), but if you have good relationships with certain Icons then you can avoid them completely, get rerolls, or some surprise benefit.

Here's one of the traps:

quote:

Creeping Hand
A severed undead hand drops down like a grisly spider.
DC to avoid (discover/dodge/disarm): 20
Attack +10 vs AC — 3d6 damage
Lich King: A 5 lets you sense the hand ahead of time and re­roll to avoid it, a 6 lets you capture the hand (and maybe make use of it later somehow).
Priestess: A 5 lets you turn the hand to dust, a 6 gives you a recovery as the gods of light bless you for laying the hand to rest.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One of my favorites is the "Sleeping Kobold", because if you roll a 6 with the Orc Lord you intimidate him into carrying your stuff for the rest of the adventure, and if you roll a 6 with the Great Gold Wyrm makes him your faithful squire for the rest of the adventure.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have to say I'm really impressed with how Pelgrane's been adjusting and tweaking the organized play adventures to take into account that they don't work like "normal" campaigns, and how they change things that don't work.

It's like the exact opposite of Encounters.

e:

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm thinking of testing a way of using Icon dice in my upcoming Theros game. I may give them to the players to spend, in the sense of: when you're in a situation and need some help that is in theme for your Icon, spend the die. For a 5, the problem you're facing changes. For a 6, things improve, straight up.

Because I'm using gods and Theros rather than the standard Icons, this might take the form in combat of, say, a divine blessing or a divine curse, or the sudden appearance of a god-sent monster (which then has to be dealt with afterwards) or so on. It feels like it might be easier and more organic than me trying to plan in the Icon rolls.
I did something similar in Organized Play, in that you could spend a die to get a +2 to a roll but using a 5 meant there was some drawback.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Twibbit posted:

I also like the boss fight design from Castle Screamhaunt with giving the Boss as many actions as their are party members and increasing the health with the party size.

Yeah, that was a problem during Wrath of the Orc Lord, where it was one (admittedly huge) monster versus 7 PCs and no health scaling on what amounted to a flat plain. It was a bit of a muckle.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I got to see the Chaos Mage in action last night.

Man, there better be an app or something for it at some point because that's a lot of rolling and cross-referencing you gotta do each round.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For "Tower of the Ogre Mage", I let everyone use playtest classes since it was a two-week thing and not everyone was going to be able to show up. We had a Commander and a Monk too.

(Commanders own)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

waderockett posted:

On the heels of an impromptu Twitter dustup between me, @13thAge and the Dungeon Bastard, we're offering 13th Age at $13 today at DriveThruRPG: http://www.dtrpg.com/browse.php?discount=9300c67d68. This discount expires on the 14th.

Which color hat of shame are you wearing?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I started doing Organized Play with the beginning of the Orc Lord trilogy. Everyone's been okay with the parallel adventures (although the two-week dungeon we just finished was a nice pallet cleanser), and as people who're used to organized play from Encounters they didn't have a problem with making new characters all the time.

In fact, they like it more because unlike Encounters you're not starting at level 1 every season, and in the higher-level adventures you can bring in characters from the low-level ones.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For some reason, I just kind of had the idea today about how people were talking back at the beginning about how the class difficulty thing went "martial = easy, casters = hard", like how it usually works out.

So I came up with the idea of the Barbarian-equivalent for casters: The Channeler. He doesn't get spells or special attacks or whatever, all he can do is a magic blast of elemental energy. I don't really have any thoughts on the actual mechanics yet, but the idea I had in mind was that it starts out as "you do X damage to a nearby target", then you use Talents to do things like apply an element to it, or chain it to a second enemy, or make it a blast, or...uh, well, that's about it.

Are there guidelines or something on class creation somewhere?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I went ahead and started my own anyway since I had nothing else to do while the forums were down.

The Channeller is a one trick pony whose trick is firing an energy blast. It still needs a good amount of work, though.

e: I see Ryven and I had almost the exact same idea about applying elemental effects!

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 26, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of which, the latest organized play adventure (and the last of the General Gul trilogy) just got sent out.

There are some nasty fights in there, in several senses of the word.

e: and I just got a KS update that 13 True Ways is almost done, you can pre-order it now, and backers will be getting PDFs soon! :woop:

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 26, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

At the end of WotOL I actually had to give Gul more HP because between 7 players and the barbarian criting every hit the whole thing would have been over in like 5 minutes. But that's pretty much a problem with any fight that's 7-on-1 in what amounts to a flat featureless plain.

The fight at the end of EQE was much more interesting, though. There's definitely an increase in quality over the whole trilogy; the first adventure is fine but it is more "just a series of fights" than the other two.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's also weird because in the Tower of the Ogre Mage mini-adventure, the ogre mage's hit points and attack bonus depended on the number of PCs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Aaron and I got REALLY tired of writing orcs so we tried everything we could to not have to write orcs.
I get that. We're getting a little tired of just fighting orcs for what overall amounts to about three and a half months straight. That's why we appreciated the Tower adventure to just break things up.

quote:

Especially the um.. how do I say this without spoiling anything.. conga line from hell in Week 5. That was all Rob.
Yeah, that's...hmm. That's certainly a thing in the adventure.

Yyyup.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The big limiter on multiclassing is that you can't use abilities that boost attacks for one class's moves on moves from the other class. So if you're a barbarian/thief, you can rage and roll the 2d20 on your attack as normal, but you can't use Sneak Attack on the attack if you do. Or with commander/fighter, if you use a fighter maneuver you don't get the command points from Fight From The Front.

There are, of course, feats you can take to get around that a bit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh man now I really want to see someone make a Necromander.

e: Geez, Paladin/Commander would be a perfect combo. The only time he couldn't get command points from attacking is when he smites, right?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just realized...a Bard/Commander would be a buffing machine. Quick action to start/maintain a song, quick action to give a command, standard action to just get 1d3 command points, be the most popular dude in the party.

I'm starting to think that commander might be the Best Class, at least for multiclassing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So let's look at a Commander/Bard multiclass as the ultimate lazylord. I'll start at level 1.

First, I get all the class features for both classes. That's Bardic Songs, Battle Cries, and Spells for the bard, and Commands & Command Points, Fight From The Front, Weigh The Odds, and Tactics for commanders. I won't be using Fight From The Front much (gain 1d3 command points when making a basic attack) since I'm going to lead from the back.

Now, class talents. I still get three talents: one from each class, and one from either class. For the bard talent I'll take Battle Skald for the bonus spell or song, for the commander talent I'll take Battle Captain which gives me a second command interrupt if I have 2 or more command points after using a command, and for the third talent I'll take the commander's Into The Fray which lets me give 1d4 other characters either +4 initiative or +2 AC for the first round.

Next is picking abilities. A multiclass bard starts with one battle cry and one one spell or song, plus the spell I get from Battle Skald. I'll take:
Battle Chant so I can use my battle cries from the back without having to get into melee.
Pull It Together! to let people rally if I want to be a healer, or Stay Strong! otherwise.
Song of Heroes to give everyone +1 to hit.

For the commander stuff, I'll take two commands (which are interrupts and cost command points):
Try Again lets one ally reroll all their damage dice.
Rally Now lets them rally.

I'll also take one Tactic, which I can use on my turn as a quick action.
Basic Tactical Strike lets an ally make a basic attack. It's at-will, but is recharge 11+.

For my one feat, I'll put it on Battle Captain so I only need one leftover command point, not two.

So here's how my first round of combat goes:
  • Before initiative is rolled, I give 1d4 other characters an initiative or AC bonus.
  • Quick action: Start or maintain Song of Heroes.
  • Trade my Move for a second quick action: Basic Tactical Strike so someone else gets to attack.
  • Standard: Weight the Odds, to get 1d4 command points.
  • On other people's turns, I can let people rally as a quick action or reroll their damage. I should be able to do that twice.

Then, each round after that I just keep starting or maintaining songs, granting extra attacks, and refocusing. If I have enough command points I can Battle Chant instead of Weighing the Odds to do a little damage and throw another buff.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CaptCommy posted:

One major issue is that Basic Tactical Strike isn't at-will at all. It's a once-per-battle with a Recharge of 11+ for a future fight. So you won't be granting more than 1 attack per fight (potentially per day).

It is?

Wow, that makes commanders significantly less interesting.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ryuujin posted:

I am really liking this so far, can't wait to see it finished. And it does seem different enough from the Theurge to be its own thing. Focused more on carnage than on inflicting status effects like the Theurge.

Haha you think I'm going to finish something I started.

Anyway, I did update the class, made a few tweaks, and added the first draft of the Champion powers. I feel like I need to make Dex matter a bit more; right now it's primarily Int-based and I picked Dex as the second stat because I couldn't think of anything else.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mustache Ride posted:

I got the email with the download link like Wednesday last week, dude, and we've been talking about it in this thread for a while...

Welcome to the party?

Last week was for kickstarter backers only. Normal pre-orders get it today.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

lenoon posted:

Chaos Mage looks incredibly bloody irritating though and I will be trying to conceal it's existence from my special snowflake monkeycheese random player.
It kind of is. One of my players used it for one session and I wasn't kidding when I said they need to make an app or something for all the rolling and referencing you have to do each turn.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ryuujin posted:

I am really liking this so far, can't wait to see it finished. And it does seem different enough from the Theurge to be its own thing. Focused more on carnage than on inflicting status effects like the Theurge.

There's a little bit of status effects in there (mostly just ongoing or vulnerability, though), but yes the core idea is just doing bunches of damage.

I've done a little more work on it, adding the Champion and Epic talents and tweaking a few more things. I think I may want to up the damage die, or add a "heavy weapon" blast equivalent, whatever that might be.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd just focus on modeling whatever "signature moves" the PCs have. Take their favorite go-to attacks and start using those as a base.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love the effect Sammy is having on people.

I love Sammy.

Sammy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Honestly, I think this is the best way to do regular content without worrying about power creep or turning into a D&D-esque supplement treadmill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One thing you might want to do is give him two turns each round, or some off-turn abilities. I've done a few "group of PCs vs. one bad guy" fights and they tend to turn into curb stomps very quickly when the monster's one attack get answered by 6 or 7 in a row before it can do anything again.