Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Dude you spelled my username wrong!!!!!! Get it right son. Actually, the latest version is up, it's now at like beta 0.8.

13th Age Seeker Beta 0.8 PEACH

Doublehex posted:

In other news, I have a question. I have a site I created for my campaign group, but I also post up custom monsters and classes there, as well as my own John Wickian interpretation of the Races, Icons, and a whole bunch of other Dragon Empire stuff. Is it okay for me to post it here for you guys' convenience?

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Covok posted:

Edit: Nevermind. I think I know why I don't have it.

I don't, and I even ordered the bestiary to make sure. Neither order page is updated yet.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

PantsOptional posted:

The preview is part of a KS project update, the Bestiary doesn't factor into it.

gently caress, the same thing happened with the Persona add on thing for TBZ; I missed the kickstarter and have no way to give them my money :negative:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
What are the generally accepted monk fixes? I figured "highest physical ability score to attack/damage" and maybe "one Deadly Secret for free" would be the obvious ones.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Give him exactly what they gave their version of the Druid to fix the same problem there "Use Wis for class features and Pick Dex or Str for attack/damage".

Seems reasonable enough.

Also, Seeker 1.0! Comments are enabled! Do so!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I was working a lot on layout and making look pretty, so instead of talents being displayed in two places, they are now in no places. Seekers get 3. They don't get more at higher levels.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I had trouble figuring out how to make Google Drive let me upload revisions, instead of having to change the URL every time. Here's Seeker 1.0a, I don't anticipate the link will change again but y'know. Stuff happens.

quick e: This class is not balanced yet, like at all! If you play one for gently caress's sake let me know how over/underpowered it is!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Latest organized play adventure, Tower of the Ogre Mage, just went out to subscribers. I gotta ask, does ASH LAW really have a real name that sounds like an pulp action hero?

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 4, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I playtested seeker and it's not quite balanced yet, but when it is I will ask for that to get the PDF treatment.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Ryven, can I ask you to put this final draft of the Seeker in a pretty picture PDF?

Also, would it be kosher to put the polished version up on DTRPG as Pay What You Want?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Hey Captain Walker, shoot me an email when you get a minute. I have questions.

sssshooop

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

PlasmaMan posted:

has anyone had any experience playing as an Occultist? I was planning to roll one for fun, but... it seems weirdly half-baked. the narrative elements are all great, but the mechanics seem really simple and bland. the shadow talent is a good example-- you have a temporal duplicate, a strange otherworldly presence, but all it does is absorb a bit of damage until epic tier.

for a class that is designed to tear apart spacetime and rebuild it, the class sure seems to just deal psychic damage on a few different triggers and allow one or two rerolls. the description implies strategy is important, choosing when to trigger what spell, but when almost every spell just deals damage, I don't see any reason not to just activate them as soon as possible. I was hoping for a class built around strange effects and consequences, not a caster who deals damage at odd times.

nthing this. It's too bad really, the class is so flavorful.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
There's a champion monk talent in the playtest that lets you cast at-will spells as flow attacks, and limited use as finishers, dunno if that really qualifies tho.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Fire Opal continues to rock, even when delivering bad news.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

waderockett posted:

Dear EVIL MASTERMIND,

Was this email followed by an office-wide ceremony in which Mike Mearls is burned in effigy while black metal plays on actual, physical boom boxes?

If not you should instate this practice after sending every email.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Got you covered bro

(also awesome Ryven is working on an awesome PDF version of above)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I had a game yesterday with an eight-year old who wanted to play a giant lizard :3:

The best part about 13th Age is not how easy everything is to reskin, but I do appreciate how easy everything is to reskin, especially when you try to sell three fairly new players on the game. Ended up with a troll ranger with boar, a pacifist genie cleric, and a lizardman paladin with anime-size sword. Apparently the troll collects magic stuff, including the genie's lamp. Also, the 13-year-old played Ryven's Lurker and consistently flavored his melee attacks as poison and throwing knives which was great.

Also, Boltstrike Pillar is a godsend--so quick to run.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I think Warrior Druids get a bonus and normal Druids don'T

E: NOPE, warrior Druids lose the penalty to attacks for using a shield but gain no benefit! The default for shields is +1 AC so it's an easy fix.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 19, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Ranger There's nothing interesting here. It does double attacks and tracks things. Truth be told when I run demos of this at conventions I'll probably bringer a Seeker character sheet instead (assuming I'm not at an official 13th Age booth).

Validation! :woop:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

ProfessorCirno posted:

So, what are the popular houserules people use? Right now I'm considering the aforementioned "druids start with four talent points" and "monks choose either strength or dexterity for both attack and defense."

I would consider making all Ranger talents cost one talent point except the version of Animal Companion that gives dailies.

Swagger Dagger posted:

The seeker class Captain Walker made seems straight up superior to the ranger if you want an archer type. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qkF-NADPPk0TwhFWdNV_xv77jiqNm4srJRCTSnoCwpI/edit

I hope this class isn't too powerful! I approach the game from a mechanical standpoint, and it seemed that there was a niche for "skilled ranged combatant" in the same way the rogue is a "skilled melee combatant". If there's design space left that you guys would like me to work in for my next class (there will be a next class) I'm open to ideas. I was thinking of a melee-oriented caster of some kind but the Theurge kind of has that sewn up.

Also, RyvenCedrylle is working on a polished PDF of the Seeker. If you enjoyed the class's flavor, and you know someone who creates art of stealthy sniper type heroes, particularly the halfling with giant crossbow I mention, please send them his way.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Who is the d20 demographic that the 13TW monk is meant to please? 3e/PF players?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I've got a guy working on some art, but I have no idea when he's going to get that done so any art submissions that y'all (points to everyone) have the rights to would be awesome. I believe the good Captain intends to make a foray into the world of selling RPG stuff. In the meantime, if anyone else has a class to pretty up, you know where to find me.

That reminds me: Wade, could you direct me to the commercial use policy for the Archmage Engine/13th Age? I can't sell this thing under the Community Use Policy, IIRC, but I'd like to have PWYW as an option.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

FishFood posted:

So, I love Captain Walker's Seeker but I also love ancient Greece, so I quickly whipped this up as an alternative to Clever Shooter and Treetop Sniper. Thoughts?

Nimble Peltast
You can hold a shield with no penalty and your melee basic attacks use Dexterity instead of Strength.
Spirit Boon: Knock Off Balance. Use this boon when you make a ranged or melee attack. One target you damaged is vulnerable until the end of your next turn.
Adventurer Feat: When an enemy misses you with a natural odd roll, you may pop free from it as a free action.
Champion Feat: When an enemy hits or misses you with a natural odd roll, you may pop free from it as a free action.
Epic Feat: The target of knock off balance is vulnerable (hard save ends).

This is meant to model a style of fighting that involves shield+thrown, yeah? Meant to be paired with Bloodbonded Hunter?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Mr. Maltose posted:

Obviously it is the shield that is thrown!

:aaaaa:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
The OP's link is busted. Current version here

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I've heard people have a lot of fun with the third party Stalwart, never tried it so I dunno.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Because I'm some kind of loving insane person, while I wait for Ryven to sexify and PDF my first homebrew class, I've started work on a Battlemind. Story-wise it fills a similar niche to the Stalwart but mechanically it uses a per-battle consumable resource tentatively named "Action Points". From the current fluff:

quote:

Weapons are a crutch for the weak, armor is for folks who can’t take a punch. Either can be stolen, cursed, or destroyed. If you don’t have the chops to fight and win a battle bare-rear end naked, what in the worlds are you doing on a battlefield to begin with?

Play Style posted:

Some d20 players want more than engaging stories and a vivid world. Some want to suplex a dragon, punch a wizard in his smug face, and kick a pit fiend into the overworld. If you’re one of those players, the battlemind is designed specifically for you.

Battlemind Armor posted:

Battleminds’ innate toughness means they alone can get away with chainmail bikinis and disturbingly tight loincloths. For the benefit of the less open-minded, they are usually found in loose, flowing outfits that shows off their rippling biceps and washboard pecs. Shirts are an utterly alien concept.

God help us all.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 13, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

-Fish- posted:

I'm a big fan of this. The battlemind was one of my favorite 4e classes.

I was pretty much inspired by/ripping off the 4e fluff for battleminds making them :smuggo: as gently caress. Gonna try and encourage that mechanically.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Reporting 13TW physical arrival in Los Angeles area. It's pretty

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
To be fair the Cloak of Shelter does grant a default bonus to PD, it's just boring as hell otherwise.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Flame112 posted:

I have a question about Captain Walker's Seeker class. The 'Follow-Up Strike' trick shot lets me make another basic attack against the target if I roll a 16+. What happens if I roll another 16+ with the second attack? Do I get to Follow-Up Strike again? I'm assuming not.
Correct. One trick shot per turn.

Flame112 posted:

Also, since I have to attack the same target, what happens if I kill my target with a 16+? How about if I'm attacking mooks and take out several with 1 hit? The one I initially targetted is dead, but there might still be one that I 'attacked' with the way the mook health pool works.

If you kill a non-mook with a 16+ you obviously can't trigger Follow-Up Strike. RAW imply that you could do so with a mob, though.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Ranger Ex Cathedral is a great talent because it is one of the key components to one of my favorite Character Concepts I've seen played, the Ultimate College Dropout. Multiclass Ranger/Bard who took Jack of Spells, Ranger ex Cathedral and Fey Queen's Enchantments, and would eventually take Animal Companion to add Druid School to the list of schools he's failed. It was surprisingly effective!

I'm playing a similar concept made before 13TW in one of Doomsayer's games. Mechanically, though, I only have Ranger ex Cathedral and all I really do is pop Hammer of Faith for those juicy d10s on double melee attacks :black101:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Obviously you need four wrist crossbows, two on each wrist. Add four on your legs to be totally extreme, though, flipping and firing bolts everywhere.

Welcome to MY 13th Age! Get ready!

e: vvv :smuggo:

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 17, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Anyone use the Dicenomicon iOS app? I love it but it doesn't have built-in 13A sheet integration. Does anyone know where I'd find an XML sheet that works for the game? Alternatively, what iOS/digital stuff do you guys use for running the game?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
On the subject of druidity, I reworked a couple talents for the Seeker (this is the link everyone click it) so if you're not content being a souped-up ranger, you can now take certain initiate Druid talents, with an option to power up your poo poo to adept using a daily resource. It's not to the answer to the woes of the caster or warrior Druid builds (the answer is "play another class") but I'd wager it's good for people who just want to play a nature person.

When I'm completely certain this class is balanced and good I'll move on to the Binder. I actually wrote Initiate of the Old Faith for a player in my home game so hopefully it goes over well.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
A cleric/commander that spends every standard using Weigh the Odds seems like the ultimate Lazylord.

Also, I laughed way too hard at the phrase "get the gently caress rid of a guy".

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ratpick posted:

By the way, I forgot to ask about this: how? I'm guessing Diverse Gathering and Evocation, but I want to be sure.
I'm pretty sure he did indeed evoke an empowered Acid Arrow. 80 damage at 1st level.

quote:

Speaking of which, I started thinking of the Bard/Ranger that starts with spells from the Cleric, Sorcerer and Wizard. On paper it seems hilariously versatile. You get your Bard spell, can pick one of the quick action Cleric spells that doesn't hinge on any ability score (like Cure Wounds), pick a Sorcerer spell that already uses your casting stat and can also pick a Wizard spell like Shield for good measure to use outside of your own turn.

I have heard this called the Ultimate Arcane College Dropout, it sounds fantastic. And you don't even take a damage die penalty! Holy poo poo! If only 13TW had been out when I made the character I'm playing in Doomsayer's epic clusterfuck.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 30, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Der Waffle Mous posted:

As an aside, I still don't quite know how Resourceful Stalker is supposed to work or what it actually does. I'm not even entirely sure how the trick-shots are supposed to apply since a lot of the adventurer tier ones result in rerolls or extra attacks, or don't seem to target an enemy.

It was meant to simulate the bard's "activate a flexible attack without needing a certain roll" thing which works better for the bard, really, because it's a support class. Cunning Stalker is my least favorite talent and it kind of shows.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Good catch. Remedied. (hopefully.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Looking at the 13A Vault it looks like there's already three warlocks and a binder. Which one do you guys prefer? I like making content but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

More generally, what's the Goon Approved list of good homebrew classes you allow in your games? Stalwart, obviously, and probably most of the stuff polished into PDF format by Ryven and co (Theurge, Dilettante, Field-Commander, Lurker). Anything else?