Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'd just like to state for the record that Wrath of the Orc Lord plays out very differently with a "morally challenged" party:

"Oh thank the gods, I thought you were orcs! Wait - you're not bandits, are you?"
"Well..."
"I don't like the way that wasn't a no."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The preview is part of a KS project update, the Bestiary doesn't factor into it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Solomonic posted:

I expected a demon summoning class for some reason (probably the name)

If memory serves, it was originally advertised in the KS stretch goals as the Diabolist parallel to the Necromancer so that's probably why. FWIW I think I like what we got better than that idea.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Just looked through the core and Bestiary and the only healing monsters seem to get is from themselves.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It means exactly what it says on the tin: it has three different attack rolls, each of which goes on to resolve completely including any damage effects or effects that require certain die rolls.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

moths posted:

Ok picked up the rpg day adventure, navigated some clique bs, and will be running!

Smite Evil is still hilariously vague. You can use it "Once per battle, plus an additional three times a day."

So every battle, and three times when you're not fighting. Got it.

How exactly is that vague? To put it in 4E terms, you get it as an Encounter power and as a Daily with three uses.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

You get one use of it per battle, and you also get a pool of X additional uses (in this case, three) that you can parcel out over the course of the day. I've never seen this problem come up before despite the fact that it's phrased almost exactly the same way in the core book.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

B, definitely. Also having a dice option there would be pretty sweet.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'm a pretty big fan of the "dungeon pressure" system. It's basically a stealth meter for the dungeon, which goes up the louder and more blatant you get and down the quieter you get. When you go into a new area, you roll a d6: if you roll equal to or lower than the dungeon pressure you run into wandering monsters, if you roll higher you get a trap. Traps also tend to increase your dungeon pressure because you're gonna make some noise when a lightning ward tasers you in the face.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Our new campaign that's starting up looks like it's going to have a necromancer, druid, bard, and occultist. Will give trip reports as we proceed.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Regarding the General Gul trilogy: we just finished up Wrath of the Orc Lord this week. Having now seen the other two adventures, I like how they all come together but Domain of the Dwarf King looks a lot more interesting than WotOL was. Don't get me wrong, there are a few good ideas in Orc Lord, like how they handle mass combat as an abstraction, but all in all I feel like there's more choice and more variety baked into Dwarf King.

That last fight, btw, is a doozy. I predicted in advance that I would drop one PC per round and I was right on the money. My players were smart, though, and laid on a heavy amount of ongoing damage in their first round, which ended up accounting for almost 50 HP per round.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I found it interesting that every other encounter except for Gul scaled based on number of PCs. Gul is the same whether you have 3 people or 7, and with only 3 in our party thanks to the bard dropping out a TPK seemed entirely possible.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

This is excellent timing, my Horizon campaign starts tomorrow. There's so much good stuff in that section...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

They get 3 as per normal: 1 from each class and 1 in either class.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The summary is basically that you gain spells/power/whatevers as if you were one level lower. One of your Talents has to come from each of your classes, with your third Talent open to either class - and if you get bonus talents, they get delayed by one level. There's a chart that shows which of your ability mods you should use for attacks based on your combination, you get the best defenses of either class, and HP get averaged. Aside from that each class has a little section that describes any oddities (not all classes grant all special features, f'rex) and suggests feats to help mitigate penalties. There's some other fiddly bits but those are the basics.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Own up, which goon is responsible for that tiefling? You know which one.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I wonder, are ALL the NPC examples based on real people? I have this distinct feeling that I know these faces already...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

RyvenCedrylle posted:

That or Monk/Sorcerer, OUT: I'm the Avatar. Except that bending is part of the martial art, not a separate piece. Maybe if there's a feat for "you can cast a spell and not lose your place in the form hierarchy" it would work.

There isn't, sadly. The book mentions using Diamond Focus to "hold your place" but that's about it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

I absolutely adore what they did with the NPC write-ups. They took a few minor ideas I had a year ago, and turned it into an interesting and compelling character beyond my wildest imagination.

The problem is that I'd feel super masturbatory using my own character in a campaign. That's kinda encroaching on bad DMPC levels that I'm not comfortable with.

Which one was yours?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Is he supposed to be anyone in particular? My money was on Sammy Hagar.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Any thoughts on how one might go about converting PCs to monsters for things like evil duplicates? I could just straight up create monsters in the semblance of PCs, but I didn't know if anyone had tried this already. (Obviously copy-pasting their character sheets wouldn't work well.)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Another option would be to scrap the idea of copying their abilities and just make generic monsters with some kind of attack prediction/attack negation sort of thing. The old "I know all your tricks because I am you!" deal. The fighter's flex attacks don't trigger on her counterpart, the evil wizard has a couple of counterspells handy, the evil rogue attacks the PC rogue mid-Shadow Walk.

I really like this notion, if for nothing else than for the Fantastic Four style "switch up! don't fight your double!" trope.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Sent to me by one of my players just now:

She says it came out creepier than intended, I think it's spot-on.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Off the top of my head, I'd say no because you're using functions of two different classes to affect one attack roll.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

Do they have the same unnatural smile and eyes which betray a deep hunger and depravity?

I was trying to think of where I'd seen that exact combination before...

THEE! I WISH TO TAKE THEE TO A BATH HOUSE! I WISH TO TAKE THEE TO A BATH HOUSE, BATH HOUSE, BATH HOUSE, WAOOOOW! HARP SOLO!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Baseline for a 3rd level double strength monster is 90 HP, Ac 19. The amount that you've bumped it up shouldn't be a problem, especially since as presented he actually clocks in at a slightly easy encounter. He costs 3 Monster Funbucks(tm) for a second level party, and a party of 4 or 5 is going to have an encounter budget of 4 or 5 Funbucks. So you have to either accept that he's going to drop pretty quickly or add in something else to pad out the budget.

EDIT: Oh what the gently caress. I guess this is one way to find out my players are goons.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

I haven't actually done the math or anything yet, but after a quick look at 13 True Ways, I'm guessing that a wizard/fighter probably isn't a very good combination compared to just a strict fighter or wizard, is that a correct conclusion? Having that weapon dice knocked down a peg seems pretty crippling.

...basically I just wanted to make a big scary overlord type that can throw fireballs while wearing big stupid armor...

Your main problems are going to be your weapon damage dice drop and your heavy armor penalty. You can get around the armor penalty once per battle with a feat. Aside from that, it's pretty good - you'll get mid-range HP and really nice defenses. Of course, if you don't care about attacking with weapons, you could go wizard/paladin for even more AC and HP and such.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Dumb multiclassing question: if a Sorcerer/Wizard (Sorcerard? Wizeror?) with Spell Fist casts a ranged wizard spell, does he still provoke opportunity attacks?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

That's what I thought. It seems like MC'ing those two is going to get REALLY confusing really fast, what with two different spell lists in addition to cantrips and utility spell.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

If I was gonna multiclass with a Cleric, does anybody have any recommendations? The step down for the weapons die seems like it's gonna hurt a lot.

Paladin will get you a lot of numbers (defenses, HP) at the cost of some spells and a talent, but it seems like the best bet to me.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

moths posted:

That's weird, what did the Derro end up as?

Humanoid.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Bestiary arrived at my house while I'm at work. Not being able to open it up and take a look is murdering me.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I also never got a shipping confirmation, FWIW.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Here's a relatively stupid question: does the "damage bonus from ability score" multiplier that you get at 5th and 8th level add in to spells or is it just physical attacks?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'm definitely very happy to have the physical product - I find myself reading stuff I kind of glossed over before. Kobolds, for example, make me so drat happy with their ridiculous trapster stuff.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Something that just came up: there's nothing keeping a Necromancer from just using Deathknell over and over on his turn as long as he has actions, is there? Like, if a couple of enemies are low, he can just pick them off?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Just had the PCs go through an encounter that was supposed to have a vast amount of scrub-level mooks in it; the necromancer asked if anything was a valid target for Deathknell and we both realized that 90% of the enemies on the board were viable. Great and terrible cackling commenced, which convinced me that the flavor of the class came though 100%.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Eh, everyone had fun, so I'm not too worried. Besides which, they didn't have any other source of healing. But thank you for letting me know for the future - I'll be playing alongside a necromancer in another game and he'll probably overlook that as well.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The thinking, I believe, was that the paladin would be the normal source of healing and the necromancer would be the backup with Death Knell and Death's Call, but due to multiclassing shenanigans the paladin had to drop one of his talents. He's got it back now from an incremental advance, but for a while it was down to rallies, Deathknell, and their limited potion supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

One of my players has a multiclassing question, And I want to make sure I'm giving him the right advice. A class combination that has Str as one of its key ability scores would use the key modifier for basic melee attacks, correct? (Assuming that the other class does not have anything funky like Bard where it can choose between ability scores for basic attacks.) Likewise, a combination with Dex as one of its key scores would use the key mod for basic ranged attacks?