Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Just finally watched the last two episodes. If I wasn't on heavy painkillers, I'd have cried. Vanessa's death was devastating but necessary to really and truly end the series. It was Caliban's son's death that really got to me. Especially the way the wife pleaded with him to get the son brought back to life. Man, that was just heart breaking.

In the hands of a lesser actor, Emostein would've been absolute garbage, but Rory Kinnear consistently nailed it. Makes it sort of weird to watch him in regular roles like in James Bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
On the positive side, I liked Lily and Dorian's ending a lot. That last shot of Dorian was really, really good.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

I want to make fun of all the people earlier in the thread with terrible fanfic theories about how Lily was totally going to gently caress up Dorian / the painting / whatever. But as I was watching the last Dorian/Lily scene during Dorian's monologue I was suddenly SURE that he had realized the futility of his own existence and was going to go stab the painting. But then he bitched out on the obvious conclusion to his own monologue with the weak line about, "Small price to pay for perfect immortality, isn't it?" And I felt shamed.

Edit: Also, the opening song/sequence change for the finale was amazing as hell.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Well, it was better than Dexter's ending, but that's a pretty low hurdle to jump. Definitely feels like they were told to wrap it up at the last minute. I can't think of many plot lines this season that didn't fizzle out or land as a bit of a dud. Ethan's dad was good, I guess.

Also, that's the best thing they could think of to do with Dracula? They could have had Dracula enter the room as Ethan and Vanessa were praying and done something with it, but instead he just goes off-screen and that's it?

e: I just thought of something. Did Ethan being a werewolf affect the ending in any way?

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 24, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As Nero Danced posted:

e: I just thought of something. Did Ethan being a werewolf affect the ending in any way?

It was the reason why he was able to act.

Ethan is the person that can destroy Dracula, Dracula put his survival above protecting his obsession which is why he just runs away.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

bull3964 posted:

It was the reason why he was able to act.

Ethan is the person that can destroy Dracula, Dracula put his survival above protecting his obsession which is why he just runs away.

I can buy that as the reason he ran, but as it was written it ended up as a letdown. They built up the wolf of god killing the dragon of hell all season to end with Dracula tossing Ethan around once or twice before getting distracted by the Victorian A-team. I know everyone thinks they could write a better ending whenever they're not happy with a show or movie, but I'm pretty sure this could have been reworked in a way that gave us some closure for the season's (hell, the series') main villain other than cutting the camera away and having a wing swooping sound.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just started the show and I'm fuckin Spooked. The atmosphere and sets are amazing and I love how they beat up a bunch of vampires in the first 5 minutes.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Could of went the Sopranos direction and give no plot threads a conclusion.

I really hate to bring this up, but the Sopranos had a really obvious conclusion and I don't understand why so many people continue to ignore that even years later. They practically spell out what happens for the audience.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
SEANCE IS FUCKIN SPOOPY

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cat was pretty, not interesting.

Yeah, she's my least favorite type of Strong Female Character™. The kind that constantly talks about how men are so dramatic and why do men insist on doing such and such and men men men men men. Ironically, the character who legitimately hates men, Lily, somehow avoids such trite dialogue (maybe because hers has some bite and I don't feel like I've heard it a million times before) so I'm not sure why Cat had to be this way.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That's the end of the show? drat, that severely lacked at least several seasons more.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ok throwback time

Why was Dorian who is normally so cool so awkward with Vanessa in the beginning of Season 1 Episode 8? Does he really like Vanessa or something?

For a guy who lives a pretty hedonistic lifestyle of orgies and dissolves his friends in bathtubs he doesn't seem like he should fall for someone

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And are we supposed to be sympathetic with Frankenstein's Monster? They keep showing him as sad but then he's a huge prick 5 minutes later.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Phi230 posted:

Ok throwback time

Why was Dorian who is normally so cool so awkward with Vanessa in the beginning of Season 1 Episode 8? Does he really like Vanessa or something?

For a guy who lives a pretty hedonistic lifestyle of orgies and dissolves his friends in bathtubs he doesn't seem like he should fall for someone

Dorian is super old, I think the implication was that he knew Vanessa from another life.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

This was a bad ending to a great show.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Vanessa Ives: I MUST GO, MY HOME PLANET NEEDS ME.

VANESSA DIED ON THE WAY TO HER HOME PLANET.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shot through the heart, and Ethan's too late. He gave love a bad name.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
"I spent all season amassing an army of prostitutes for the revolution!"

"I told them to go home so they did."

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

She didn't even do that, Dorian did

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

CubanMissile posted:

To be fair, he also told them all she had been completely destroyed by him with ease, and even then it took him laughing off a stab wound to the chest to make them panic and run.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I know, but I would have liked to have seen that army result in at least a wave of terror around London that affected the landscape for a few episodes. Instead they had a night of killing, you don't see how the people react to it, and it doesn't matter anyway because it fizzles out and immediately afterwards there is a reign of darkness as a result of the graveyard smash. I get why they disbanded, but it makes most of that arc pretty pointless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CubanMissile posted:

I know, but I would have liked to have seen that army result in at least a wave of terror around London

Kinda moot after, you know, death fog.

Though, the idea of them getting all riled up and running out to do mayhem and then immediately choking to death would have been hilarious.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 1, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

I know, but I would have liked to have seen that army result in at least a wave of terror around London that affected the landscape for a few episodes. Instead they had a night of killing, you don't see how the people react to it, and it doesn't matter anyway because it fizzles out and immediately afterwards there is a reign of darkness as a result of the graveyard smash. I get why they disbanded, but it makes most of that arc pretty pointless.

Dorian has that effect on plotlines.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Vanessa Ives: I MUST GO, MY HOME PLANET NEEDS ME.

VANESSA DIED ON THE WAY TO HER HOME PLANET.

At least she died, the camera cut away from Dracula and he just disappeared.

Dr. Jekyll's reveal of being the evil Hyde all along involved treating mentally ill people. Was that supposed to make us think he was a bad person?

None of the main cast ever learned about Frankenstein's work. It might have been fine if Ethan had seen Lily in a crowd or if the Creature (did it ever say his name before he died? I think I missed it) joined them at the grave instead of lingering in the background.

I still don't think this was meant to be the series finale, but this season was a bit like a wet fart.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

Dorian is super old, I think the implication was that he knew Vanessa from another life.

There should have been some interaction between Dorian and Dracula, the 2 immortals.

Atreiden posted:

This was a bad ending to a great show.
Vanessa gave her life to save the world!
As a Victorian 'penny dreadful story, the heroine being resigned to her fate is conventional. But what was on screen had little energy, compared to the lead up, it was underwhelming.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not getting to see Lyle running out of a tomb followed by a shambling mummy is the one thing I will never forgive this show for.

Yes! Sending him off to Egypt was a strange and unnecessary story turn.

ShakeZula posted:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/penny-dreadful-ending-season-3-series-finale-creator-interview-john-logan-david-nevins-1201798946/

Did you guys see this interview? Really sounds like ending the show was Logan's idea, and Nevins seems like such a fan that I actually believe him when he said Showtime would have happily made more seasons.

I actually liked the resolutions for most of the characters. I was bummed that Vanessa's was seemingly just "give up," but Logan's rationale actually rings true to me, and I like it more on reflection.
I loved a lot of Logan's writing. But it's hard to believe this season of 9 episodes was always planned to be the conclusion of the series.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

Yes! Sending him off to Egypt was a strange and unnecessary story turn.

The fact that they replaced him with one of the most forgettable characters in the entire show was even worse.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The peak of the "WTF" moments in the finale was definitely the fight scene.

Penny Dreadful has had some great group fights in it's run, the first episode in season 1 being a great example of this. The gore was vivid, the characters interesting and it was simply entertaining without insulting the audience's intelligence (too much).

Violence carried a real weight in this show, and followed a pretty steady interior logic. In group fights yeah it's expected that the side with better numbers will stagger their attacks kung-fu style, but the violence in the show was generally believable and always worth watching.

That final fight scene between the group and Dracula's vampire posse hosed all that up the rear end. Hard.

Protagonists showed up "just cause", and characters who couldn't fight worth a drat are suddenly holding their own against murderous night creatures en masse. This goes on until the scene calls for the full cast and then, no poo poo, people who should have been mauled to pieces or have open throats rise from the ground unhurt and presumably on the ground from exhaustion. What the gently caress?

Dracula, head vampire extraordinaire, decides to weakly choke a Sir Malcolm for awhile until he is suddenly called back to his home planet. This is a centuries old entity that can shapeshift and move faster than the eye can see, and in defending his home and bride, he decides strangle a dude for 10 minutes?

I'm convinced the last half hour of this series is Logan's "gently caress you" to the channel. Nothing else really makes any sense.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
You know, now that you mention it that fight sequence did kind of remind me of the Kill Bill Crazy 88 sequence, but not in a good way.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 8, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I watched the whole series and tbh I'm glad its ending. I did enjoy it but I don't think it ever lived up to its potential. I think its a similar problem as American Horror Story (which I totally cut loose after Asylum), there's only so long you can build up tension and dread and you can't keep doing it week on week.

Eva Green was fantastic the whole way through and I also thought Frankenstein was good as well as his monster. Even though Caliban did bore me greatly many times with his moping I can't deny Rory Kinnear's acting was good and they deserve props for taking his character in a different direction. Likewise, I thought Billy Pipers acting was solid but her character and plot bored me. Dorian himself was interesting and I think they could have done more with him.

The biggest crime of the whole series was not using David Warner enough. He and his character would have been perfect as regulars.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So what was everyone's favorite episode/scene? I think my hands down favorite episode was "A Blade of Grass." Kinnear and Green really have the acting chops to pull everything in the episode off and the pure amount of emotions poured into was staggering. It's one of the very few episodes of television that had me emotionally drained at the end. Not like crying or anything like that, but just having your feelings tugged around so much by two people on a screen and the relief when it was finally over.

As for favorite scene I'd say it would have to be the seance in season 1. It's the scene that got me interested in the series and kept me watching through a completely up and down first season.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lily's monologue in the finale just had me watching mouth agape and eventually dissolving into tears. Man that was just devastating.

Biggest pisser scene was introducing Van Helsing and havig the creature kill him off within 30 seconds nooooo dammit

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
My favorite episode was the one about Vanessa and the Cut-Wife. Every season they had like one episode mainly about Vanessa and they were all good but that one was the best.

My favorite single scene was Lily's monologue in the last ep- or Lily and Dorian rescuing Justine lol. They're tied.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm disappointed that we never saw Dorian's portrait.

It was an okay ending, but most of my faults with it have already been posted.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We saw it in season 2 when he was with his trans lover.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Solice Kirsk posted:

We saw it in season 2 when he was with his trans lover.

I thought we never saw the front of it. Can someone post a screencap?

Edit: Never mind, I completely forgot about this:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I was just about to post that. I'd completely forgotten Dorian's stuff in season 2. Same for season 1, for that matter. Did he do loving anything (besides loving, I guess)?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Ending was terrible. Dorian never really had an effect on anything, he was just there doing stuff, and nobody else even got closure in any way. And defeating dracula should have been better than "kill his wife" especially when his wife is the main character of the show. And all the struggles Vanessa went through felt meaningless because her victory came from giving up to deny your enemy what he wants. And beyond that, hasn't Vanessa been through multiple lives before, implying that this is all gonna start all over again?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yup, she went on to become Vesper Lynd and betrayed James Bond by joining the bad guys....again. Time is a flat circle.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Honestly it really felt like the ending came out of the blue. So many things was set up in season 3 only to lead nowhere or be abruptly ended. It really seemed like they were expecting at least one more season and it's honestly one of the worst endings I have seen, which really stand in contrast to an otherwise great serie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dracula Factory posted:

Dorian never really had an effect on anything, he was just there doing stuff...

But ~that's the point~! See, it's SOOOOO ~meta~, like a Victorian version of the Sopranos ending! He even explains it for the cheap seats - his entire raison d'être is ~I GIVE NO FUCKS EXCEPT THE FUCKS I GIVE~!

Sure, that's not an *original* archetype, but generally in storytelling you want a sociopathic narcissist to get his comeuppance. Instead we got "I killed your revolution in the cradle because I've seen a hundred like it and it *bored* me." The final scene between him and Lily would've been so much better if he'd turned it into a Highlander-like teaching moment - elder immortal to 'young' one - that her fate is to be one of a perpetual *observer* to history, never a *maker* of it, because if the world writ large finds out there are immortals among them, *bad things will happen*. It would've been a perfect way for Dorian to finally say something of merit, and would've been a perfect companion piece to Lily's loving amazing and amazingly heartbreaking origin story.

And again...instead we got a super :smug: "you'll be back - you've ultimately got no where else to go," ultimately showing Dorian to be little more than an immortal 1890s Justin Bieber, doing terrible things to people no one cares about because he *can*.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 2, 2016

• Locked thread