Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Calico Noose posted:

Is there anything at all sympathetic about Caliban at this point? I kind of want Frankenstein to just get the League to come help him kill the whiny overly dramatic rear end in a top hat and have done with it. The people at the theater hate you because you're a pretentious douchebag Caliban, not because you've got a scar on the side of your face.

Shelly's Frankenstein works because we sympathize with the monster and it's desires. Caliban doesn't because he's a vindictive murdering fuckhead who hasn't had it that bad all things considered and can't decide if he's a poor misunderstood creation or the single greatest thing in the universe.

The nightmarish way he was brought to life and then completely abandoned by the person responsible without any explanation, comfort or concern makes me pretty sympathetic towards him. He's a dickhead for killing Proteus, but I can understand why he feels the way he does towards Dr F and humanity.

I assume he went through a lot more poo poo like the original Frankenstein and had much more hardship than that brief montage at the end of his story showed, and I give him a pass on his overdramatic stuff cuz he learned everything he knows from poetry books and his first real socialization is with theater people.

Anyway, I was bummed to see the Renfield kid killed already, I liked that little creep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

nutranurse posted:

Brona's not possessed by the devil, just TB.

Seriously, Vanessa's whole hosed-up situation has to inspire a ton of sympathy and empathy from him if even half of the theories & conjecture about his own situation and backstory are true.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
If I remember right, another thing that Dalton had going against his Bond career was that Pierce Bronsnan was the guy everyone wanted as Bond at the time but he couldn't do it cuz of some contact.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

PaulDirac posted:

Just binge watched the show, was great fun. Dorian Grey was a bit of a twat though O: Too bad Proteus was killed so fast, would ve liked to see him a bit more, making his eventual departure maybe a bit more impactful. And i just love listening to Dr. Frankenstein, he truely has some great lines.

I wish Proteus had lived just so Bride of Frankenstein could have chosen him over Friendzone Frankenstein, leading to the most epic meltdown ever.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
When does the new season start?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I like Dorian Grey, he takes so much pleasure in corrupting people and like has been said, the actor playing him gets this across so well.

Also, add "hates the Bible and religion" to Friendzone Frankenstein's goon character sheet, and lol at Victor introducing him to Lily as a "friend"

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tamizander Rey posted:

Again, I find myself wondering why Dorian is still around.
I'm paying attention, but this is going nowhere except for simulated gay sex.

I liked the character when he was actually part of the show and interacted with other people and storylines from Penny Dreadful instead of being showcased for his own spinoff series

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

tirinal posted:

Just binged on both seasons. This was actually a hidden gem that had somehow passed under my radar. Thoughts:

-I'm not really understanding why Vanessa didn't instantly recognize the reborn Lily. She's the only woman who she had ever seen with Ethan; that wouldn't get dumped out of long-term recall.

-Caliban was just interminably boring throughout.

-"Hey, I'm going to rape/kill your girlfriend after breaking in while she's sleeping, scalp all your friends, and then kidnap you for America. You can't hurt me now though, because it would be rude." What.

-Finally, I would just like to comment that dolls are, in fact, loving terrifying and I'm glad somebody is acknowledging it.

I don't understand people dissing Friendzone, he's awesome & hilarious, one of the better characters currently on TV.

Speaking of the dolls, did anyone ever notice if any of the background ones looked like actual historical figures? I was too lazy to look myself but thought it would be a cool easter egg type thing and would actually fit with the witches backstory.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

Frankenstein's face after failing to kill Dorian after already failing to kill Lilly was pretty funny.

I'm now just picturing Friendzone Frankenstein standing in a group of penguins huddling together for warmth, just looking as miserable as ever.

He befriends a giant herd of lemmings right at the start of suicide season

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mouse Dresser posted:

I got the Penny Dreadful version of Clue for my birthday, and it's pretty awesome. The game board is nicely done, with different locations like the Grand Guignol theater. The only disappointing part is that the character pieces are folded cardboard that you stick into a plastic base, rather than something more durable. But overall, it's really nice artwork and a cool version of the game.

lol at Friendzone not getting invited to be in the boardgame

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

As sad as Van Hellsing dying was it was quite possibly the most shocking/hilarious death I have ever seen, right behind Adam 2 being ripped in half by John Clare. Pretty much any time anyone gets introduced I am secretly hoping they get torn to pieces.

Also I'm sure John Clare is going to be really, really sad when he finds out Tennyson died.

Oh, he's gonna be absolutely devastated, I think he'll actually use his all consuming grief to fuel his Hulkout rage when he needs to kill Bride of Friendzone this season.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

FourLeaf posted:

The Western storyline got a bit too silly in this last episode in my opinion. The American lawman guy getting shot like that was kind of a wet fart to his character I felt.

Yeah, he wasn't the biggest character on the show but I liked him, would've liked for him to get to be a bit of a badass in the end instead of just getting shot down like a sucker.

I didn't expect the witch chick to die so easily/quickly eirher, especially after all the screentime she's gotten, same for inspector one-arm. drat, they got rid of a ton of characters this episode.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Poor Dorian, he was so lonely because of being immortal, and he thought that he'd finally found somebody else who was immortal, and that they could bond over being bored and possibly capriciously mess some normal people up for shits and giggles. Now his house is full of ladies who want to kill any men they can and he's a little over his head.

Pretty sure he'll be calling in his favor with Victor to have him help get rid of Lily. The militant hooker gang have pretty much sentenced him to death already, it's just a matter of when, not if.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Coyote Ugly posted:

I could've cared less about his little redemption arc with his father and poo poo.

Oh man, the scenes with his father were some of the best stuff of this season IMO.

Also, I'm glad there's some progression in the Lily storyline, I was starting to have the same expressions on my face as Dorian when she would launch into another one of those same angry boring speeches for the nth time this season

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Finndo posted:

Best dinner scene since Dune.

You haven't seen Ash vs the Evil Dead obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I was most bummed for John Clairiban and most disappointed in his ending. Dude had made a real connection and friend in Vanessa, she gave him the confidence to feel he could be loved again by his family, he reconnects with and becomes loved by said family again only to have his son die and his wife kick him to the curb, shortly followed by finding out his only friend had died. I thought the show might throw him a bone and have him connect with the crew at Vanessa's funeral, he'd fit right in with them at this point and maybe make some new friends, but nope, gotta have him hide away from everybody and go back to being lonely monster man. gently caress, they could have even had him do the whole "proper burial" thing he said he wanted to before his wife's ultimatum and have him meet Brona/Lily at the graveyard she was at and maybe become friends with her now that they've both changed so much

• Locked thread