Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

eriktown posted:

Oh, me too. I love this show to little pieces. But I'm not above snarking about it. :)

Me too. Caught up on the 1st 3 episodes and really enjoying the Victorian sets; the characters are great so far and the acting suits the time period really well.
Looking forward to seeing where the story goes.

oneof27 posted:

This show should be on Netflix so we can watch all the season in one sitting and judge it as a whole. I feel like I am reading a sprawling old novel a chapter a week.
The term Penny Dreadful refers to sprawling, tawdry and salacious stories often filled with the occult and dished up one chapter each week.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Wiggy Marie posted:

Liked this episode much better than the previous. Also, is it just me or was there a nice little touch with Ethan wiping blood from what appears to be a cut only for there to be no cut left?

Cat scene cracked me up. So abrupt, so efficient.

I'm not sure how I feel about this scene. The inclusion of the absynthe makes it a little uncomfortably close to getting someone drunk and taking advantage of them. Dorian gives me a very Lord Byron feel, so he swings every way where there's a hole, presumably, but I'm not so sure about Ethan. I guess it helps that he's making the moves though!

My reaction to that scene was, "Maybe this is why Ethan had to leave America!

hepscat posted:

I've heard of "cooter" but coot? This is a coot:

Anyway, I am in the camp of Dorian Gray being balls-out trouble for anyone around him. He seems to have a sway and he's bored from being around way too long, so he's going to push people to their limits in one way or another.

To my American ears Billie Piper's accent is harsh and guttural but that seems to fit the character. Usually Irish accents sound all lyrical and sweet (as dumb as I sound admitting that).

Lyrical sure - but sweet?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAwK9juhhY

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Awesome episode, first part felt more like a slow-moving Victorian novel than a penny dreadful.

Why did anyone ever want a hedge maze, they're always bad news! Sleuth, Labyrinth, The Shining...

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Animated corpses, demons, werewolves, debauchery, disease, a seance, betrayal between families and BFFs, trepanation...tedious?!

Re-watched the episode again; the acting is brilliant. And the writing often seems lifted from or in the spirit of the source materials, such as Mary Shelley's style in Frankenstein (which is available to read online).
So similar in style, tone and even the phrases used.

It's too bad there's only 10 episodes, going to be a long wait until season 2.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 15, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
You're not helping :(

Listened to a pretty good podcast about the past couple of episodes; was good to get insights and details from others that I didn't pick up, and the women's point of view was interesting too.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also pretty sure I saw Sembene take a bite on the back of the neck.

And that sex scene with Dorian makes me really look forward to Ava Lord vs. Dwight this August. :stare:
I hope he's okay, Sembene is a great secondary character.

nutranurse posted:

Eva Green was made for a role like this.

All the scenes with Green and Dalton are fantastic.
I dl podcasts onto my phone so I can listen while doing other stuff, but this Victorian-era 'link' device might work for you

http://podbay.fm/show/877458907

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

DecentHairJelly posted:

^^^^^
Exactly. This show hooked me on episode two and it has been getting better each week. Its really a shame that we only have one more episode left. Most of the credit goes to Eva Green. The things she does with her eyes during her possession scenes I didn't think were possible. She's the primary force pulling me back each week. Also I hated Dorian Gray at first but he has gradually become one of the most interesting characters for me.

Also, that look on Sembene's face when he knocked out Vanessa after she trashed Malcom's study was great. He's like "All you had to do was smack her in the head. Now I gotta clean up this mess."

Sembene's role as the one who doesn't say much but has the correct answers is a great addition to the show. "Call a priest" he says, which is ignored for about a week. Also when confronted about why he's staying with Sir Malcolm because Malcolm saved his life and he retorts, "Maybe I saved his life and am now responsible for him" was well done.

That 2nd-last episode was amazing, really raised the stakes in the Amun-Ra and Amunet-Ra storyline.

It also showed off some of the depth of the male characters because there is an adventurer, a sharp-shooter and a doctor who says he's trying to bridge the gap between life and death - yet they all have their 'demons' or baggage, and they were all shown as hypocrites and cowards in some ways.

Also interesting was that last week we had a look at Victorian-era psychotherapy and surgery, and this week had a little glimpse into that epoch's attitude towards drug use.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 26, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

unlawfulsoup posted:

I feel like this show is generally carried by the actors pulling a lot from the scripts. The main plot is somewhat tiresome, especially since we have been burning through backstory almost every other episode. Eva Green and Timothy Dalton are excellent; I especially love how much of almost totally unrepentant bastard Dalton's explorer is, and Green really masters crazy. The rest of the cast is solid too. I hope this gets renewed, because with a little more focus on the next season this show would really be excellent. Right now I feel that the setting and cast is perfect, it just needs that focus to reach the next level. Kind of like how Justified shift into arcs really bolstered it from a decent to superb show.

I guess I like the writing a lot more than you but agree that the actors are elevating the show above the script. Also there's something unsettling about the cinematography and maybe the foley track sometimes but I don't know exactly what they're doing. Some of the fight scenes, and Vanessa scratching her arms are not shot the same as other scenes.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Ethan said he believed in everything but God, right? I took his doing the exorcism at the end to indicate that in his last moment of desperation he rediscovered/accepted his faith (I doubt the exorcism would have worked otherwise) or at least his hope - the fact that the pendant was the Patron Saint of Lost Causes just seems to further the idea that this was a last resort on his behalf. His backstory now looks less likely (though not impossible) to be the Wolfman and more like a fallen priest who lost his faith or otherwise was involved in some kind of scandal that forced him to flee America.

The highlight of the episode for me was probably Ethan and Victor goofing around in the basement shooting guns till Momma Sembene came down and told them "Dad" was pissed :allears:

Also I was really hoping that Caliban was going to barrel his way in at some point to try and intimidate or moan at Victor only to realize just how in over his head he actually is.
I was partially hoping that Caliban was not on the street and merely a figment of Victor's drugged-out paranoia and guilt.

But it would have been amazing if Caliban ran in to confront Victor just in time to see Vanessa doing some crazy devil-possessed action. "Uh, I'll talk to you later, Doctor," he says and slowly backs out of the house.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Past 2 episodes have been so great I don't have much to add. Eva Green, Patti Lupone and Helen McCrory scenes were more like watching a movie than a tv show.

But both this show and GoT feature a strong woman with 3 female assistants (Ellaria + 3 Sand Snakes) and so far the Penny Dreadful nightcomers are more entertaining - and dangerous.
And creepy.

Also I really like how the camera often goes up so we can see an entire vista, and then swings down into the scene for the story.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 19, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

hepscat posted:

They are creepy and they way they're using them is visually effective - but every time they HISSSSSSS I find it a little goofy.

What I find goofy with Penny Dreadful is the opening credits that feature a spider, a scorpion, and this:

It's a ball python; I know because I have one as a pet. They're non-venomous, docile, and cute. Far from scary or creepy or dreadful.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

A person who willingly hand feeds live mice to a snake probably isn't in the best position to determine whether something is "cute."

Oddly enough I'm a vegetarian. And I only feed it frozen/thawed rats, not live mice.
Were you aghast at the treatment a rabbit got on the episode? Killed and then the hide stripped off it in one pull.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

It's a pretty snake that was easy to find and work with, don't think too hard about it.
How can I not think about it, he sits on the couch beside me while we watch Penny Dreadful ! But that's what I found amusing, you see ball pythons often on tv and in movies because they look good and are laid back.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 21, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Yudo posted:

I just got caught up and I am amazed how much better this season has started compared with last. It's goofy, sure, but it owns that well. They handle multiple storylines in a very satisfying manner.

Eva Green is amazing and deserves some nonshit films roles. Josh Hartnett seems to have taken acting lessons; Billie Piper being freed of that accent and Patti Lupone are huge pluses.

Yeah I really liked this entire episode. The tranquil night at home shattered by Nightcomers was amazing, as all the brave adventurers & protectors of Miss Ives were tossed around by them.

Hard to believe Production set up that entire ping-pong game room and all the extras involved just for The Kiss between Dorian and his new friend, who are so far completely separate from the main storyline.

Also enjoying the man building waxwork tableaux with his complaining wife and blind daughter. That sort of exhibition was quite popular back in Victorian times.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
While not explicit in the original story the power of Dorian's portrait could be the result of a deal with the Devil or a witch, which would pull him back into the struggle our heroes are facing.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think the most underrated part of the episode was when Lyle was praying in secret with the Torah, looking over his shoulder as he donned his tallit and yarmulke.

My hope is that he can summon a golem to fight the nightcomers.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

Dorian is entertaining and, come on people, they're not going to have him off doing his own thing for absolutely the entire season.
Dorian will use Angelique to seduce Sir Malcolm away from Madam Kali. :rolldice:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Agree about the blood ball but there were other notable scenes this ep.
I really like the wax museum of horrors. The owner is a great character and a right bastard. The blind woman and "Caliban your hands are cold, like you're not really alive". Complications.
And of course Sembene isn't invited to the ball, but like Dorian he is up for anything.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 11, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mouse Dresser posted:

Ethan told him not to move from the chair and what did Sembene do? MOVED FROM THE loving CHAIR.

THAT'S IT, SEMBENE! YOU'RE FIRED!

Sembene's reaction was justified. Besides, his employer is smitten and not concerned with what's going on in the basement.
And the scene with Madame Kali starting Malcolm's voodoo doll heart freaked me out much more than the ol' werewolf transition. The previous episode was filled with sex, this one with grotesque imagery and plenty of spilled blood. From Gladys' neck, from Malcolm's neck, the crime scene tableaux, Madame Kali's real "house of horror", and then the final scene.

Love this show, what does that say about me LOL.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Ethan's going to be so surprised when he realizes Sembene is a vampire.

This was another great episode, everyone's in peril or threatened in some way.
Dorian has a long life so I don't mind at all that his peripheral storyline is on a slow burn, and I think he's going to be more instrumental when the surviving members from the witch hunt have to next contend with the Master, the devil who exists on Earth.

PerilPastry posted:

Lyle going "Really?" at the revolver before being handed the tiny pocket pistol was great.
I loved that. He's an amazing and complex character.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Usually marking the face is done for protection against spirits (or keep them locked inside), never heard about them being done to show that someone was a slave trader.

Can someone gif the amazing fight scene in the cut-wifre's old house with Vanessa stabbing Roper over and over and over and over and over again.

Prediction/hope: Vanessa takes control over her own fetish doll and uses it to attack Madame Kali.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
In Victorian times women put a lot of effort into having pale skin.

Great episode. I really thought (hoped) Sembene was going to re-animate somehow on the ship.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

My wife had forgotten about this show--it turns out she didn't know it was renewed--so I was able to surprise her with the premiere. I avoided mentioning it for months, and was able to spring it on her when she was having a really crappy day, so go me.

In the time off I'd forgotten how amazing Eva Green can be. So go her.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

drat! Mr. Talbot's dad is not a nice person.

I expected a night scene with all the ruffians who took Chandler becoming a pack of werewolves.

And it was amazing that The Sphinx seems to have not aged since 1999's Mystery Men!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKGX9tdPeN0

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 3, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Why'd they have to kill off Sembene :cry:

In the novel, Dr. Seward meets Lucy and falls in love with her. Then he meets Renfield and takes him on as a patient. Then Lucy gets 'sick', Seward tries to treat her yadda yadda yadda vampires.

In our current version, Seward is a woman which I have no problem with, and Dracula has instructed Renfield to get info on Vanessa.
I like this new spin on the old story because we don't know exactly how it will play out, and that initial consultation conversation between Vanessa and Seward was incredibly well written and acted.
But man oh man why couldn't we get a look at Dracula at the end?! There was no need to cliffhanger that, we're all going to be back for the next episode anyway.

imdb.com only lists 9 episodes for Season 3, anyyone knoow if that's accurate?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mouse Dresser posted:

If anyone was thinking of buying a shirt or some other Penny Dreadful merchandise from the Showtime store, if you order now, they'll include a free Penny Dreadful comic book.

http://store.sho.com/?v=penny-free-comic&icid=slider2_penny-dreadful-free-comic_05042016

You can buy an Emostein doll! :toot:

The Vanessa Ives action figure is frightening. But this show is shot so beautifully, at times it's like a movie.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

The man who the creature was was just such a nice and sweet man, it's so sad.

NIce? His disturbing description of the surgery and its effects gave me nightmares! I watched the show late at night and when I woke up the next morning it was the first thing on my mind. :wth:
Dracula Vs. Trepanation: which is the greater horror.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I mean, that or good ol' American agriculture, routinely giving every antibiotic on the market in feed.
Or,

quote:

An open letter signed by 150 international doctors, scientists and researchers Friday called for the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro to be moved or delayed due to the Zika virus.
To press on with the Games in Rio, the second most affected city in Brazil by the Zika crisis, would be "irresponsible" and "unethical," the letter argued.
"Our greater concern is for global health. The Brazilian strain of Zika virus harms health in ways that science has not observed before," said the letter, signed by experts in the United States, Britain, Canada, Norway, the Philippines, Japan, Brazil, South Africa, Turkey, and Lebanon, among others.
"An unnecessary risk is posed when 500,000 foreign tourists from all countries attend the Games, potentially acquire that strain, and return home to places where it can become endemic," it said.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 29, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

So I'm a little confused by the evil entities at work in this show. Obviously Lucifer was the one who was haunting Vanessa's dreams and giving her visions, etc., and the witches last season definitely seemed to be in his employ. But in the first season, it was Dracula who took Mina, right? Everything about that seemed way more in line with his MO than Lucifer's. The thing that throws me is that there seems to be a general sense that Dracula is a "new" presence on the show, but if I'm right then he was an active antagonist before Lucifer.

Not sure but I think Lucifer and Dracula are 'brothers'. Lucifer is the soul or spirit based evil entity (and can take over people to communicate), and Dracula the animal who resides on Earth, on our physical plane of existence.

I agree that Eva Green should get all the Emmys but even though the Luci/Drac relationship is murky, John Logan's writing on this show is fantastic.

Also, I'm grateful that Billy Piper has dropped the accent, she's much better without it.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mouse Dresser posted:

Things I shouted at the TV while watching this latest episode:

GOD drat IT, VANESSA! Don't gently caress Dracula!

GOD drat IT, VICTOR FRANKENSTEN! Don't barge into the prostitute murder party!

GOD drat IT, DORIAN! This isn't about you!

GOD drat IT, PENNY DREADFUL! Do not send Lyle away!

Also, best thing was the dinner murder followed by Ethan and Hecate digging in to their steak and potatoes.

God drat Sir Malcolm doesn't say much but he is a complete badass.
The scenes with Vanessa and Cat Hartdegen was terrific.
Also I love how the psychiatrist seems to have given up on analyzing Vanessa and accepted her as a friend and confidant having sympathetic "my life is a loving unbelievable trainwreck" conversations.

I didn't expect Vanessa to move so fast with Dracula, but with only 9 episodes to the season, every story arc is racing along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

Dorian is super old, I think the implication was that he knew Vanessa from another life.

There should have been some interaction between Dorian and Dracula, the 2 immortals.

Atreiden posted:

This was a bad ending to a great show.
Vanessa gave her life to save the world!
As a Victorian 'penny dreadful story, the heroine being resigned to her fate is conventional. But what was on screen had little energy, compared to the lead up, it was underwhelming.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not getting to see Lyle running out of a tomb followed by a shambling mummy is the one thing I will never forgive this show for.

Yes! Sending him off to Egypt was a strange and unnecessary story turn.

ShakeZula posted:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/penny-dreadful-ending-season-3-series-finale-creator-interview-john-logan-david-nevins-1201798946/

Did you guys see this interview? Really sounds like ending the show was Logan's idea, and Nevins seems like such a fan that I actually believe him when he said Showtime would have happily made more seasons.

I actually liked the resolutions for most of the characters. I was bummed that Vanessa's was seemingly just "give up," but Logan's rationale actually rings true to me, and I like it more on reflection.
I loved a lot of Logan's writing. But it's hard to believe this season of 9 episodes was always planned to be the conclusion of the series.

• Locked thread