Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Geezus
Jul 13, 2012

Where do I get it?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/212070/

So what the hell is this game?
Star conflict is basically the Dog-Fighting module of Star Citizen Fleshed out into a complete F2P (pay to progress) game on its own. It is owned and operated by Gaijin Entertainment the same people who own/operate Warthunder.

Alright that's cool but how do you play it?
It is a fly-by-wire space dogfighting simulator and to describe it is a little hard so I will shamelessly link the following youtube montage that I am 100% unaffiliated with that features gameplay accompanied by catchy Electro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9De57YqsrA

Well that looks loving sweet but you mentioned Pay to Progess, expand.
Why of course thank you for asking. I don't call the game P2W because the pilot with the most money but terrible flying won't automatically kill everything in his path. The game separates ships into 5 Tiers with 3 Sub classes each for example Tier I is ranks 1-3 of ships Tier II is ranks 4-6 etc.

Matchmaking is separated by Tier so Tier I ships will be vs mainly Tier I ships with maybe a few low rank Tier IIs thrown in if there aren't enough players to fill a decent roster. Now the Pay to Progress part comes in the form of Premium ships. Normally you have to rank up a ship by using it in battle and gaining synergy.

In the above image I show how the tree is set up for ships. As you can see my Alligator-M is rank 6/8 in synergy level and I have unlocked the next ship in the line for purchase with credits the in-game currency. But also in this image you will see the numerous greyed out ships of which I haven't unlocked by getting the previous ship to high enough synergy levels.

Along the bottom row you will see ships with a yellow currency requirement. That is Gold Standards the games currency which can currently be bought at the following rates.

There is only one requirement for premium ships. That you have at least one ship in the previous Tier to unlock the next tier of Premiums. For example I can unlock a Tier I premium which will unlock the Tier II premiums for purchase. If I but a Tier II it unlocks Tier III premiums and so on. You can also unlock Premiums simply by leveling Non-Premium ships up to that level as well.

Here is where the tricky part comes in about premium ships. They are not as good as Non-Premiums of the same Rank and Type. The following pictures will explain what I mean.

In the top picture we have a Non-Premium Non-Synergized ship in the bottom we have a Premium. At first glance the Premium looks to be obviously better as it has higher Survivability higher speed more shields etc. The thing is Non-Premium ships get better as you Synergize them at about 5% a level. So once you take the Non-Premium to Syngery level 10 it has around 7600 Survivability and almost 600 m/s in speed; a vast improvement over the premium ship.

So someone in a premium ship will get a nice easy boost to max synergy and will beat people in ships up to about rank 6 Synergy which can be gotten in 2 hours on most ships. The one advantage Premiums have is no repair costs and increased income. Normally you have to repair your ship 12% for each death you sustain or 6% per battle (this number may change patches come out quite often) this costs credits but premiums don't have to repair and boost credit income by 75%. They can also boost synergy income by 75% and this synergy can be transferred to another ship....at a cost of the GS (the real money currency). So unless you want to get into a ship class fast without having to level the previous ships there is really no reason to get premiums aside from credit farming ships.

Ok ok all the information on the Paywall is nice but what about the actual game?

Oh yes of course let me get back to that. Ships come in 3 Classes with 3 Subclasses.

Interceptors: Smallest and lightest of the ships.
Covert Ops: Not very covert, has a Plasma web it can use to deal damage over time to an enemy ship.
ECM: Can become invulnerable for 6 sec but can't move or shoot. After 6 seconds ship releases an EM burst that disables all enemy ships for 2 seconds in a 1500m range.
Recon: Has the microwarpdrive module, can go to warp speeds of 28 times is velocity for 2 seconds, hardest to tackle down and good for objectives.

Fighters: Currently in a bad spot as they don't quite do much except for gunships.
Command: Has a shield it can deploy to greatly increase its damage resistances. Not much other than that.
Gunship: Can increase it's damage by 50% as well as energy recharge rate and maneuverability for 12 seconds with no downsides.
Tackler: Has a cloaking module it can use to sneak up on ships and use its active modules to disable them.

Frigates Largest slowest and tankiest of all the ships.
Engineering: Support craft uses drones and can repair all allies around it.
Guard: Very very large tanks, hard to take down good when paired with an engineer.
Long Range: The snipers of the game, weak tanks fairly slow but the ability to one shot interceptors.

Each ship has it's role but right now the game is dominated by Engineering Frigates, Gunship Fighters and Covert Ops Interceptors. Of course the other ship types can get use but they require rather specific teams to reach full potential and thus are not good for going into random PvP matches.

My Recommendations
At Tier I the ships are cheap and quick to get to max Synergy Level. Buy all 15 and see what role you like best, this is the best time to do this as once you hit rank 4 it becomes harder and harder to gain synergy and it only gets harder the higher you climb.

At Tier II you unlock all the guns for the ships where previously you only had 1 type per Main Class 3 types total. This is when you need to nail down the roles you want to do but buy all the guns and figure out which one you want to use. At tier 2 you also get more upgrade slots for your ships and more active modules to choose from. This Tier is the time to figure out what works for you and what doesn't as it takes ridiculosu amounts of credits to buy different gun types starting at Tier III

At Tier III you unlock all game modes and start to play against the really good pilots. If you haven't gotten your role figured out by now you will die and you will die a lot. I personally have a Tier 1 and a Tier 2 Premium ship for when I get a little low on credits. You can buy a Tier 1 premium with the GS the game starts you with so make sure you know what role you like and pick your free premium wisely.

Now for the self promotion. If you feel I helped you get a leg up shoot me a mail and a friend request my pilot name is Ellayt I'll also shoot you a corporation invite if you want one.

If you feel so inclined I would also appreciate if you would put in my referral code E59D913AA670D941E02C2E69DB47041D on your game startup. This just gives me a 10% bonus if you do buy any Galactic Standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009
It's a decent game I just wish there was more of a goon presence and some goons for me to play with.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I still play this game from time to time. It needs to get more coverage. Gaijin almost killed it with its bad patch policy but it streadily improved over the last few months with patches adding useful stuff and changing things in a good way. People who liked it early should re-download it and try it again, its really good now. The only reason I'm not playing it more often is, that most people left it when Gaijin activly tried to kill it with bad patches.

crackstar
May 9, 2003
I loved this game until they took away a lot of the fun guns with their unfun weapons patch :( I want space shotguns on my fighters, drat it!

Black Geezus
Jul 13, 2012

crackstar posted:

I loved this game until they took away a lot of the fun guns with their unfun weapons patch :( I want space shotguns on my fighters, drat it!

Yeahhh I miss those too but they at least have the heavy blaster now. Its kind of like a shotgun once it gets all warmed up.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Couple of things worth mentioning

They're currently doing closed Beta Testing of their open world mode 'Invasion', you essentially fy around space killing NPC's & collecting loot and then bring it back home to craft into modules that can be used in the various arena mods. If you've bought packages and stuff in the past then you might be eligible for the test.
Here's a quick look at the open universe mechanics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikaKUwaEPs0

Also said packages are half price in the steam sale so now is a good time to pick them up if you're interested in the game. I bought one of the packages during last years steam sale and then waited for a half price weekend on the licenses picking up a year of premium play with plenty of cash left over.

I also had some people PM me asking how to join Goonspace conflict - who's running that?

illectro fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 20, 2014

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I was one of those messageing you, I had a poke through the Private Servers subforum and didn't see a thread for Star Conflict. I would love to get some hot spaceship on spaceship action with Goons, if anyone has info that would be really cool.
EDIT: Looks like the search function is down too. Yay!

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 20, 2014

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Nah it wasn't a private server thread there used to be a dicussion thread in the games forum, my guess is that it's been archived by now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This game was cool at release then Gaijin hosed around with it too much in dumb ways and last I knew it was languishing in Low Player Count Hell.

What has changed in the last six months?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah I remember early on it wasn't nearly so grindy and then they broke that. But since then there has been a lot of balancing, improvements to the item drop and crafting system to make it a bit less P2W and there's a pile of new game modes.

Really the big upside to the open world thing is that you don't have to wait 5 minutes to join a match, it just starts.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I had a match with me and three other people in the pve mode, and we all had Raptor Engineering Frigates. It was a glorious rampage of lasers and explosions, we basically covered each other with the repair AOE thing and dominated the entire match.
We could always just start a new Corp if we can't find out who is running the Goon one.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I bought a mercenary package for this from the Steam sale. It gave me a bunch of currency and some premium ships but I've just been pottering about in an Engineering Frigate and upgrading my gear as I learn what everything does. Engineers seem to be really good ships, I only ever seem to be in trouble when an interceptor gets behind me and even then my drones are shooting at them.

Are there any tips or sagely advice you can pass to a newbie? Should I be saving any particular currencies or items?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

This game was cool at release then Gaijin hosed around with it too much in dumb ways and last I knew it was languishing in Low Player Count Hell.

Last time I played, it felt like they cut way back on making you pay out the rear end for using missiles.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Kore_Fero posted:

Are there any tips or sagely advice you can pass to a newbie? Should I be saving any particular currencies or items?

Keep the artifacts you find (greenish icon currency), you need that to upgrade your guns and equipment to the highest MK level and I'd keep that until you find a ship/weapon/equipment combo you really like. Also I wouldn't spent it on a Tier I ship at all, as those just don't make enough money to make such an investment worthwhile... unless you really love the limited options of tier I and don't want to dig deeper anyway.

Also gently caress Biomorphs, what's the best damage type to take those bastards down?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Update 1.0 hit, as well as making sandbox available to everyone. I've been playing the game on and off for past 1 year (couldn't play last 2 months though) and surprisingly the game balance is getting better. Just the grind side of the game still being slight pain in the rear end but it is expected since it's Gaijin.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Chomp8645 posted:

A lot, mostly for the better. I was considering making an OP for 1.0 but it seems I have been saved the effort :v:

I have been playing this for a year now and I still like the game a lot and play a game or two every few days. It has it's faults and the player count never really exceeds 2300 or so but there really isn't anything like it on the market as far as I know, now that they cancelled Star Wars: Attack Squadrons. War Thunder is the closest but it (obviously) lacks the main draw for me which is the different ship classes and abilities they have.

As for P2W, it's pretty much your average F2P - sure you can play without spending any money but you really are encouraged to do so, especially in the endgame tiers, just like in similar games. If you want to drop a dollar I'd recommend you get a license first (sub for day - 6 months that grants you increased income) over any premium ships.

However, given the player count, the by far most populated and played are tiers 1-3 with 3 being the endgame for many (myself included) - the ships at T3 get 4 active abilities slots (which is the maximum in the game) with all active and most passive modules available and the prices for ships/gear at t3 are reasonable even if you play for free. The match wait times are also under a minute, unlike in higher tiers (at least during EU primetime, in NA primetime the player count usually hovers around 700 or so - still plenty to get quick games though usually.)

Also OP you might want to mention the overlooked yet for me essential option to enable the so called 'expert' controls, which makes your mouse control the ship (like in Freelancer), not the camera (like in War Thunder).

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I actually think premium ships are a good investment, just enjoy the game to mid-tier and than grab some premium equivalent to what you enjoy flying. The premium ships generate free free-xp, I especially state that those are free free-xp, cause a lot of other F2P titles have you pay to use those 'free-xp'. Also they don't have any repair costs associated which is certainly a bonus when you're new to the game, or enjoy some of the slower ships that rely on team support (which you'll rarely get, like in any other online game).

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Another note regarding camera: Expert mode doesn't let you fire unless all your turrets can fire at the specific angle, while with Basic mode you can fire even 1 turret. Basic mode is useful for Interceptors firing while turning or Frigates trying to fire but being too slow to turn, while for Fighters it's up to individual's preference but most people use Basic to shoot Interceptors.

Basic mode is also useful for PvE if you need to stick your ship to any object and just move the aim to shoot. I found it exceptionally useful for Dreadnaught Stage 3.

e: Also currently there's a sale going on with certain premium ships. There're 3 Empire packs each containing an Empire T3 premium ship, Biomorph colouring preset and an aerography for 2,999 GS each, or 3 Federation T3 premium ships and an aerography (don't think it comes with Biomorph colouring preset though) for 8,499 GS. Biomorph colouring preset is worth having because it looks awesome.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 30, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
How populated is the free roam stuff if I don't want to do matches and just go out and be a dick?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Orv posted:

How populated is the free roam stuff if I don't want to do matches and just go out and be a dick?

It's going to take lots of travel time just to reach a PvP zone afaik. Also there's limited fuel but you need fuel to use warp gate, so you might end up having to hunt down AI pirates or go around scavenging to keep the fuel level.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well isn't that loving retarded.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Orv posted:

Well isn't that loving retarded.

I think with Frigate class you get more fuel capacity, but I never flew with Frigates. Either way from looking at Biomorph kill counts there seem to be quite a handful of people actually playing sandbox, probably with T4/T5.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Aesis posted:

Another note regarding camera: Expert mode doesn't let you fire unless all your turrets can fire at the specific angle, while with Basic mode you can fire even 1 turret. Basic mode is useful for Interceptors firing while turning or Frigates trying to fire but being too slow to turn, while for Fighters it's up to individual's preference but most people use Basic to shoot Interceptors.

Yeah I forgot to mention expert controls aren't really suitable for frigates or interceptors as I don't fly those much. Still, it's a nice option some people may prefer since it makes the game control exactly like Freelancer which is awesome.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really enjoyed this game but ditched with everyone else when the grind tweaked and they redid the entire ship tech tree and when frigate snipers was the dominant playstyle.

It's a shame there are only a few thousand people on; it was a fun little deathmatch game until Gaijin ruined it with some terribly-thought-out patches.

If I was to come back, what kind of changes other than an additional free-roam level should I expect?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Bhodi posted:

I really enjoyed this game but ditched with everyone else when the grind tweaked and they redid the entire ship tech tree and when frigate snipers was the dominant playstyle.

It's a shame there are only a few thousand people on; it was a fun little deathmatch game until Gaijin ruined it with some terribly-thought-out patches.

If I was to come back, what kind of changes other than an additional free-roam level should I expect?

Nothing much apart from weapon types restricted to each ship size, some minor balancing with speed (reduced AB speed), etc etc.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Welp. Almost done with upgrading modules for Falcon-M to Mk.4. Just need to upgrade 2 active modules from Mk.3 as well as a a gun or two from Mk.2. Time to farm 2 X 250k loyalty points :smithicide:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Invasion comes out tomorrow.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Third World Reggin posted:

Invasion comes out tomorrow.

It's been out since new patch. Tomorrow is the deadline for aerography/colouring preset bundle.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That is weird since the new patch of today says that invasion closed beta testing has ended.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

That is weird since the new patch of today says that invasion closed beta testing has ended.

My mistake. I've had invasion for like 6 months and it was always open to me so I got confused.

Anyways they're adding T5 premium ships + letting players manufacture their own ships.
http://forum.star-conflict.com/index.php?/topic/24309-star-conflict-v-10/
I bet T5 premium ships will cost over 8,000 GS.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Patch is up, new Rank 15 premium ships cost whopping 9,950 GS. Best to wait for Gaijin to do T5 ship discounts which is super rare.

Also you can now manufacture ships provided you hit Rank 14 with that faction. Currently only 1 role per faction but we might see this increase. They look butt ugly though but you can configure passive slots as well as choose now extinct sub-faction special modules (limited to the ship role). It costs lots and gathering resources might take ages.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 4, 2014

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Giving it a shot. I sent a friend invite, Aesis.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So it looks like you can get synergy in invasion in the form of daily quests once you complete your starting quests.

A lot of the ships you need to kill have static spawns and set patrol routes.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
War Thunder (the other Gaijin game) "Veteran" (I have vast majority of both aircraft and tanks in that, so I am near "grind done" status in that game until the game updates) here.

I am looking into this because planes and tanks are getting a bit stale and I am pretty much just constantly waiting for content updates. This now hit 1.0 and all the money packs are 50% off, I have a couple questions.

I just installed the game and played the match, and cross-referencing my experience from WT and WoT, I think it's gameplay I can get behind, but tell me if there's any significant meta-difference in this and from these. Is the grind tougher? Easier? Is there pay2win issues? How does the gameplay evolve with progression? How's the large-scale PVP, how's the PVE, do they have a point?

Secondly, if I decided to go through with this, which of the premium content packs would be most worth throwing the money at? The most expensive on steam is 30 euro and if you told me the vehicles in that are dreamy and, uh "grind effective, I guess I would throw the buck at them, but I want to know what would I buy (and the sale is running only till tuesday apparently).

I know it's not ideal to throw money at a game I haven't properly played but the 50% sale on the stuff is kinda too big to ignore am planning on trying the game a plenty until tuesday, still, educated input would be welcome.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
There is a slight P2W issue in that certain premium ships are the best of their tier and don't really have a free counterpart. As for PvE it is good for grinding credits and MK4 upgrades if you get lucky. Don't buy any DLC until you try out the game more.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Certain DLC has a 10% bonus that stacks with other DLC bonus.

You also get a 1% bonus if you have a ship maxed out. This also stacks.

Just play the game and don't worry about DLC unless you are really bad with money.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Certain DLC has a 10% bonus that stacks with other DLC bonus.

You also get a 1% bonus if you have a ship maxed out. This also stacks.

Just play the game and don't worry about DLC unless you are really bad with money.

One or two DLC also offers extra loot chance. tbh the only DLCs worth getting are the ones with extra loot and xp. DLC ships aren't that good anyway any more since the nerfs. (Yes Gaijin nerfs premium stuff :v:)

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Currently in the process of making spreadsheet ship builder. It's almost done except for ship data which I need to add by hand. Some features/restrictions are not implemented because of limit with Google Spreadsheet, but it should provide some use.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Wow this game got popular :v:

I know, I know, last seen timers are a bit whacked, but I think these might be correct timers. So yeah, there's like five people still in GOON, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ickna
May 19, 2004

Musluk posted:

Wow this game got popular :v:

I know, I know, last seen timers are a bit whacked, but I think these might be correct timers. So yeah, there's like five people still in GOON, it seems.

It'd be six if I could join. It doesn't show up in search.

• Locked thread