Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bony tony posted:

hiding in tall grass (which was innovative when Metal Gear 3 did it in 2004).

Hell, pokemon have been doing this since the late nineties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Moon Monster posted:

Hell, pokemon have been doing this since the late nineties.

Yeah, but specifically as a stealth mechanic.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

It is exactly as on-the-nose and unsubtle about its themes and tone as gamers deserve. And good for them for having absolutely no faith in their audience in my opinion!

Strong words coming from a Max Payne 3 speedrunner. :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dewgy's got you there, CJacobs.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Evil Within 2 had all the tropes of a Modern AAA Game, kicked rear end, but somewhat underperformed.

This is a shame since it's a better sequel to Resident Evil 4 than 5 and 6 ever where.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dewgy posted:

Strong words coming from a Max Payne 3 speedrunner. :colbert:

Hey now, at least Max Payne 3's story doesn't pretend to be subtle. Sam and Dan Houser love to huff they own farts but at least nobody told em they were intelligent for fart huffing unlike a certain Druckmann.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm amazed that GTA V's campaign is 69 missions long and yet absolutely nothing happens. Franklin... moves house, Michael gets slightly richer, and Trevor remains psychotic.It had a great disparity between it's production-values and it's script.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

Hey now, at least Max Payne 3's story doesn't pretend to be subtle. Sam and Dan Houser love to huff they own farts but at least nobody told em they were intelligent for fart huffing unlike a certain Druckmann.

Honestly I really like both of them so I’m just givin’ ya poo poo. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why I oughta! The nerve of this guy makes me wanna rant for five minutes about the evils of man, but in slow motion!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bony tony posted:

:thejoke:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That said I'm playing the first one on the Grounded difficulty right now and I'm having a pretty good time. Everything is ridiculously stacked against you, you're dead in like two hits, and there are basically never any supplies but you also don't have to fight nearly as often as you'd think from an easier playthrough. There's a couple of bullshit parts but each fight becomes a neat little puzzle to see if you can get past the encounter without wasting any resources.

TBH I think it's a much better game at that difficulty than it is at the normal one.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

bony tony posted:

The Pokemon are attempting to evade you, the player, by hiding in tall grass.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nostradingus posted:

The Pokemon are attempting to evade hunt you, the player, by hiding in tall grass.

Ftfy

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Last of Us 2: More of Us attempts to cover all the same thematic ground as God of War 3 but they forgot to make a good game and then also handled said themes immeasurably worse.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

bony tony posted:

It's Videogame: the Videogame. Gears of War-rear end shootmans, broken up by stealth sequences, light puzzling, and story bits. There's even crafting! The only new gameplay innovation in the second one is a grappling hook, and hiding in tall grass (which was innovative when Metal Gear 3 did it in 2004).

lmao they already did the grappling hook and tall-grass stealth in Uncharted 4, astounding

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Evil Within 2 had all the tropes of a Modern AAA Game, kicked rear end, but somewhat underperformed.

This is a shame since it's a better sequel to Resident Evil 4 than 5 and 6 ever where.

This but replace 2 with EW1. :smug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WaltherFeng posted:

This but replace 2 with EW1. :smug:

Hell yeah now we're talking!!! Yeah!!!

Although The Evil Within 2 is still a very good followup.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It is. If only someone could let's play it, to show off how much better it is.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Assassin's Creed Odyssey has these little player-created missions called Story Portals. It's a neat idea and could potentially be used to create little mini mods for consoles. According to the blurb, you can use any character model in the game, start the mission anywhere in the world and even write dialogue. What a neat idea to experience content, I thought.

Every single one of them is poo poo like "exp farm", "kill quest 1", "attak them", "testing".

Honestly annoys me that they even appear on the map. What a waste of time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Last of Us 2: More of Us attempts to cover all the same thematic ground as God of War 3 but they forgot to make a good game and then also handled said themes immeasurably worse.

Handling that thematic ground worse than God of War 3 sounds like quite a feat.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Bogmonster posted:

Every single one of them is poo poo like "exp farm", "kill quest 1", "attak them", "testing".

Honestly annoys me that they even appear on the map. What a waste of time.

Yeah, the concept sounds interesting, but the ones that popped up in my world ensured that I never bothered interacting with the system.
It's the kind of thing that veeeeery much requires them to filter which ones will actually be shown to the world, instead of having it all just be standard magical algorithms.

Even just going to the site to get an overview:
https://assassinscreed.ubisoft.com/story-creator-mode/en-us/discover
And bam, the first 'Hall of Fame' thing that's highlighted is 'EPIC VICTORY ROYALE'. 4 of the 5 Hall of Fame highlighted things are just XP farms.
Which makes me feel the devs just gave up and started highlighting the most popular ones instead, since all the higher ups care for is engagement++ and playtime++.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bony tony posted:

It is. If only someone could let's play it, to show off how much better it is.

What did I ever do to you people :negative:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

What did I ever do to you people :negative:

you didnt use stasis on Norton

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I played two hours of Mafia 1 today. The story was ok, but absolutely no part of playing is good. There are three things you do.

Punch fights. Mash O, press counter occasionally, get mad counter doesn't work half the time, mash O more to get crappily animated takedowns.

Gun fights. These were rare, but functional.

Drive. gently caress me but these cars don't steer for poo poo. The highlight of the story so far was to steal s racecar, drive across town with a tight time limit without being seen by any police because it's auto Wanted and then you can't go to your objective, gently caress you, back to checkpoint. After you eventually succed they sabotage the car and you have to drive it back, under the same time limit, except it handles worse and sweves uncontrollably.

It is horrible in every single possible way.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One thing I noticed while playing FFXIV is that you choose a job but you don't put any points into a tree, nor do you allocate points into a stat. It had one of these systems before it was removed for being superfluous. I agree with this decision because there's plenty ins and out with the jobs already, and there's gently caress all reason why a Healer would need to invest in strength. Warframe similarly had all the frames given static skills that you mesh with your gear and mods.

What systems tend to be in games that don't add to experience, and just make it look more complicated than it really is? The original Xenoblade had way too many sub-systems for character progression going on, when the only thing that mattered was being higher leveled than your opponent.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Evil Within 2 is better than EW 1 is pretty much every way but it’s still somehow a worse game

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seedge posted:

I played two hours of Mafia 1 today. The story was ok, but absolutely no part of playing is good. There are three things you do.

Punch fights. Mash O, press counter occasionally, get mad counter doesn't work half the time, mash O more to get crappily animated takedowns.

Gun fights. These were rare, but functional.

Drive. gently caress me but these cars don't steer for poo poo. The highlight of the story so far was to steal s racecar, drive across town with a tight time limit without being seen by any police because it's auto Wanted and then you can't go to your objective, gently caress you, back to checkpoint. After you eventually succed they sabotage the car and you have to drive it back, under the same time limit, except it handles worse and sweves uncontrollably.

It is horrible in every single possible way.

A weird thing about the Mafia 1 remaster is that they rewrote the story and rerecorded the cutscenes but then didn't make any real changes to the gameplay.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

One thing I noticed while playing FFXIV is that you choose a job but you don't put any points into a tree, nor do you allocate points into a stat. It had one of these systems before it was removed for being superfluous. I agree with this decision because there's plenty ins and out with the jobs already, and there's gently caress all reason why a Healer would need to invest in strength. Warframe similarly had all the frames given static skills that you mesh with your gear and mods.

What systems tend to be in games that don't add to experience, and just make it look more complicated than it really is? The original Xenoblade had way too many sub-systems for character progression going on, when the only thing that mattered was being higher leveled than your opponent.

Phantasy star online 2 has a lot of this, but the two that immediately come to mind are skill trees and mags

Skills trees have like, a little bit of flexibility in what to pick but mostly are there for you to screw up and then need to reset because there's a ton of "take these or suffer" skills that just kinda ruin the whole idea.

Mags are tiny pets that you feed and they give you stat boosts and have abilities they use, but all you really do is feed them for one stat and nothing else so you have to carefully monitor and make sure no other stat levels because theres a 200 total stat cap and if you gently caress up and gain say, a level in dex, then you have to use a rarer item to delevel the mag and undo that.

Theres a very good reason they are making a pesudo A Realm Reborn for PSO2, even if they are gonna keep the old game content because it at least is good.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I feel like the weapon level system in Final Fantasy VII Remake doesn't add much to the experience, it was just a tedious thing to deal with every time you got a bunch of skill points.

After a certain point I just turned on the auto-level function and let the game handle it for me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The vast majority of games with systems like that are superfluous because doing more damage is always the go to option. You COULD increase your HP, or make yourself less vulnerable to fire. Or you can kill the thing faster.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Leal posted:

The vast majority of games with systems like that are superfluous because doing more damage is always the go to option. You COULD increase your HP, or make yourself less vulnerable to fire. Or you can kill the thing faster.

Exception to this rule is when the content is actually hard to a point where its a lot safer to mitigate damage. You might kill the thing a little slower but you won't be in any danger.

I mean a lot of people still pick the dmg option

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

muscles like this! posted:

A weird thing about the Mafia 1 remaster is that they rewrote the story and rerecorded the cutscenes but then didn't make any real changes to the gameplay.

I haven't played it but from that description it sounds like they changed quite a lot gameplay wise.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

WaltherFeng posted:

Exception to this rule is when the content is actually hard to a point where its a lot safer to mitigate damage. You might kill the thing a little slower but you won't be in any danger.

I mean a lot of people still pick the dmg option

Sometimes increasing your damage doesn't actually change gameplay at all. Like if you're one-shotting enemies anyway, you might as well get some extra survivability

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Soulslikes have been moving towards this for a while but eventually the curtain is going to be pulled back and you'll just dress up as a mage and equip mage abilities if you want to be a mage and get all armored up and equip greatsword if you want to sword dude and all those soul-levels and so on will no longer actually matter or be a part of the experience.

"I didn't like how in Diablo 3 you could edit your build on the fly and not get attached to it-"
gently caress off you make games shittier.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bewilderment posted:

Soulslikes have been moving towards this for a while but eventually the curtain is going to be pulled back and you'll just dress up as a mage and equip mage abilities if you want to be a mage and get all armored up and equip greatsword if you want to sword dude and all those soul-levels and so on will no longer actually matter or be a part of the experience.

"I didn't like how in Diablo 3 you could edit your build on the fly and not get attached to it-"

Monster Hunter has it right. The only stats are what you equip, you want to be an archer? Equip good archer poo poo. Big sword man? Good big sword poo poo.

A friend of mine swears path of exile is the best game ever made because it's so in depth and involved. But it doesn't open up until you've sunk a bunch of time into your character and oh it turns out your character is bad and now you start over.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Diablo 2 was another exception to the extra damage always being good because you got everything you needed from gear and stats did so little in comparison so you just put in the minimum stat requirements for gear and then pumped vitality (health) because it was the only thing that was always relevant.

bewilderment posted:

Being able to just switch everything at the drop of the hat is super loving lame though. Why even have specs then? Just let me use everything at that point.

Honestly if I was making a spiritual successor to Diablo 2 I'd be tempted to just make dozens of classes (maybe even make em named heroes like mobas) with no customization beyond gear. Just like premade singer barbs and WW barbs and zerker barbs and etc instead of making skill trees or the whatever the gently caress you call Diablo 3's system.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Oct 13, 2020

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Phigs posted:

Diablo 2 was another exception to the extra damage always being good because you got everything you needed from gear and stats did so little in comparison so you just put in the minimum stat requirements for gear and then pumped vitality (health) because it was the only thing that was always relevant.
Let me tell you about the mythical dexterity-only-Amazon builds that kept getting made on a Diablo 2 forum I used to be heavy into back in the day...

quote:

Being able to just switch everything at the drop of the hat is super loving lame though. Why even have specs then? Just let me use everything at that point.

Honestly if I was making a spiritual successor to Diablo 2 I'd be tempted to just make dozens of classes (maybe even make em named heroes like mobas) with no customization beyond gear. Just like premade singer barbs and WW barbs and zerker barbs and etc instead of making skill trees or the whatever the gently caress you call Diablo 3's system.
For me personally a big appeal of D2 was seeing my character grow. I knew where I wanted to end up (see: build theorycrafting on forums), but I never took shortcuts unless it was literally unplayable. That is, if your main attack comes at Level 30, then until then you gotta deal with no attack, or the skills on the way there but at level 1. It's not for everyone, but having a ready-made character at the start would kill the point of the game for me, because Diablo is not about the moment-to-moment combat or skill involved in it or whatever to me, but about starting with nothing and ending when you're satisfied with having gotten all the skills, stats and gear you want for this character. Then you make a new one.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah that's how I played Diablo 2 as well. I'm thinking having lots of different characters would feel the same so long as gear was interesting enough. So you'd get your specific characters to play through the game over and over while getting your theorycraft on with the gearing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I think a compromise is being able to switch builds mid-game without penalty, but you do have to invest in your new build. In FFXIV you can swap jobs around, but they are independently leveled and have their own gear. You can swap weapons and armour around in the Surge 2 but you have to invest materials into your new set.

I never liked how in Diablo II the number "5" looked a lot like the number "6".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The fun of Diablo is the cycle of building up your character's power to obscene levels, playing that until it gets boring and/or you achieve your goals for that season, and then finding something else to do until the next patch. Just fast-tracking everything would get dull real fast.