Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Like in the original Doom, the gameplay in 2016 is balanced around you finding ammo in the middle of combat and working with what it gives you. (This is less important in Doom Eternal, where the chainsaw loop becomes even more crucial.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The main issue I have with 2016 is it's possible to miss the chainsaw altogether

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Arivia posted:

Like in the original Doom, the gameplay in 2016 is balanced around you finding ammo in the middle of combat and working with what it gives you. (This is less important in Doom Eternal, where the chainsaw loop becomes even more crucial.)

I just finished the 3rd level and I have effectively 6x my initial loadout of ammo (2 more weapons and 2 ammo upgrades) even before counting the chainsaw. That's a massive increase. My shotgun now has the same base amount of shells as the original Doom (40) and it feels like a decent amount. It's what it should have started me on.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Phigs posted:

Doom (2016) starts out really garbage because you have a lovely pistol (which is true to the original games but still) and a shotgun with 20 ammo. There are encounters that take more ammo than you can carry, with no way of replenishing ammo mid-fight like when you get the chainsaw. Once you get some extra weapons and ammo upgrades that particular shittiness goes away. I'm sick of games doing this. Make the game fun, THEN add. Don't strip me down to an unfun loadout so you can sprinkle more rewards on me.

It sounds like doom eternal would be the perfect game for you. Very little ammo but you get to constantly juggle cooldowns to get more!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Morpheus posted:

I have no idea what quests you're doing, I've done every quest I can find up to the Battahl region (about 35 of them according to my Completed list) and I have 1.

Quest rewards spoilers, just in case: One from the elves' quest chain that starts in Vernworth. One from one of the Sphinx's riddles, which can then be duplicated through another of her riddles ("your most valuable possession" will create a fully functioning copy of whatever you give her, even portcrystals).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The main issue I have with 2016 is it's possible to miss the chainsaw altogether

Reminds of the Last of Us where it's completely possible to miss the flamethrower.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Reminds of the Last of Us where it's completely possible to miss the flamethrower.

Huh, maybe that's why the made the shotgun mandatory in 2.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Speaking of Dragons Dogma 2, I just read about this:

https://www.avclub.com/game-theory-dragons-dogma-2-pulls-one-of-the-meanest-v-1851370881

Game Theory: Dragon's Dogma 2 pulls one of the meanest video game tricks we've ever seen

Contains spoilers

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've seen it happen to someone streaming the game. It killed more than 100 people in a city.

They then used an item (Eternal Wakestone) that mass revives in a location. The city was considered one location, so it targeted everyone that was affected. It went from "woah!" to "oh".

Here is the moment for the stream that the item was used: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2100101941?t=4h47m33s

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Mar 30, 2024

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chants of Sennnaar mixes things up in the third chapter with an enormous sewer level, complete with no map.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Chants of Sennnaar mixes things up in the third chapter with an enormous sewer level, complete with no map.

Hmm, our nice chilled out game about translating languages seems to be missing something.
I know - let's add a sewer level and mandatory instakill stealth sections!

(Luckily, they don't drag the game down toooo much, but I was definitely cursing the devs whenever they cropped up)

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

That's just like episode 1 of the original Doom, then

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Arivia posted:

This is ultimately why I gave up on Eternal. 2016 was a bit stingy on ammo sometimes, but that just meant you used another cool gun. Eternal gives you a maximum of 24 shotgun shells, 180 bullets, 250 cells, and 13 rockets. And you start with a lot less than that - you only get that much if you put your upgrade crystals into ammo. I got to the second last mission, would go into an encounter, kill four or five enemies with two different weapon classes and then be out of ammo. So then it's finding an enemy to chainsaw assuming I have enough fuel to kill it, which will give me like a third of my ammo cap back, which lets me kill two or three more enemies, repeat. The flamethrower was just as bad because that's how you get armour back. The game became more about watching cooldowns than it did killing demons.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of Dragons Dogma 2, I just read about this:

https://www.avclub.com/game-theory-dragons-dogma-2-pulls-one-of-the-meanest-v-1851370881

Game Theory: Dragon's Dogma 2 pulls one of the meanest video game tricks we've ever seen

Contains spoilers

NPCs killed by this revive automatically after about a week or so of in-game time. It can't ruin your game.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Crowetron posted:

NPCs killed by this revive automatically after about a week or so of in-game time. It can't ruin your game.

Yeah but the current hot fad is spreading wild misinformation about Dragon’s Dogma 2 and how its systems work and what all the nickel and dime DLC Capcom shoves in to everything these days entails.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Crowetron posted:

Coward's way out

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Bussamove posted:

Yeah but the current hot fad is spreading wild misinformation about Dragon’s Dogma 2 and how its systems work and what all the nickel and dime DLC Capcom shoves in to everything these days entails.

Sounds like a bit of a crap fad to me. I don't know anything about Dragon's Dogma.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dogma balls

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Days Gone is too goddamn long

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Halo CE Anniversary Edition: the updated graphics look worse than the original in a way. Like yeah, obviously it's more detailed, but they crammed so much extra stuff into the sets that it looks too busy. I guess they were trying to bring it more in line with the aesthetics of later installments.

The lighting is another factor. Everything looks too bright; there are no shadowy parts at all. It's fine for daylight missions in the early game where it's just you and the Covenant. Then you get to the level 343 Guilty Spark, which is the big introduction to the Flood. It's supposed to be creepy, but with the newer graphics it looks almost cheerful.

I just played with the original graphics for most of it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I've been playing Grandia 2 after being gifted it by a friend, and the main problem is that, for a game where a huge part of the core story is about two party members constantly swapping in and out of the main party, the game's UI is just terrible about facilitating that; pretty much every major plot beat is followed up by the minigame of 'will you remember to swap around the mana eggs and equipped skills, or are you gonna be walking into the next fight or two underpowered?'

The game's also one of those fun HD remasters that couldn't upscale its prerendered cutscenes, but I just find that kinda charming. The game's got a bunch of prerendered attacks, and it's honestly just cute to see it go from upscaled, crisp but still clearly Dreamcast-era graphics to a few seconds of anime at a low definition with a non-widescreen resolution.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Apr 1, 2024

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

grittyreboot posted:

Halo CE Anniversary Edition: the updated graphics look worse than the original in a way. Like yeah, obviously it's more detailed, but they crammed so much extra stuff into the sets that it looks too busy. I guess they were trying to bring it more in line with the aesthetics of later installments.

The lighting is another factor. Everything looks too bright; there are no shadowy parts at all. It's fine for daylight missions in the early game where it's just you and the Covenant. Then you get to the level 343 Guilty Spark, which is the big introduction to the Flood. It's supposed to be creepy, but with the newer graphics it looks almost cheerful.

I just played with the original graphics for most of it.
I found overall it was a lot harder to see things in new graphics than old graphics. Especially the deployable shields. Can't see through them at all.
The updated graphics don't change the collision, either. Some areas they 'extended' the ground in the remaster, but the ground isn't actually there so you just fall through. This is most obvious at the end of the ground portion of Truth and Reconciliation - avoid the cliff edge on new graphics.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

JackSplater posted:

I found overall it was a lot harder to see things in new graphics than old graphics. Especially the deployable shields. Can't see through them at all.
The updated graphics don't change the collision, either. Some areas they 'extended' the ground in the remaster, but the ground isn't actually there so you just fall through. This is most obvious at the end of the ground portion of Truth and Reconciliation - avoid the cliff edge on new graphics.

This was my "favorite" part about playing with the new graphics - certain rocks and terrain just lied to the player about what the collision actually was since it was placed "over" the original graphics. I ended up just using the original graphics more overall. For something more recent I'd say about 95% of the revised graphics in the Tomb Raider collection are done well, to the point where you can tell the texture artists cared to match up to the original graphics as closely as possible, which was nice.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Honestly I feel like there's a vanishingly small number of remasters where I've been like "wow they really nailed the updated graphics" though naturally a large part of it is that I don't really care about graphics looking dated in the first place.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mr E posted:

This was my "favorite" part about playing with the new graphics - certain rocks and terrain just lied to the player about what the collision actually was since it was placed "over" the original graphics. I ended up just using the original graphics more overall.

this was super annoying in the stealth sniper approach level. i would be trying to snipe people with the new graphics on and my bullets wrent hitting so i just kept giving away my position for nothing. when i switched back to origional graphics, i realize i was shooting a rock that the updated version shrunk. so loving stupid.

the OG art direction is so good. the updated visuals did not seem to understand at all what it was trying to achieve and just made the game look real busy

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Honestly I feel like there's a vanishingly small number of remasters where I've been like "wow they really nailed the updated graphics" though naturally a large part of it is that I don't really care about graphics looking dated in the first place.

Metroid Prime Remastered has to be up there. It looks like how I remember the original looking, because I guess nostalgia improves lovely 480p gamecube graphics, but I think it's a real testament to how well they did it.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008
So I picked up Assassin's Creed Valhalla on sale and I am almost through it and I'm mostly just confused.

Everything about this game feels worse than Odyssey, and some of that would be expected because Odyssey was good (for AC standards) but stuff that's been there since the beginning of AC is just jankyier? I get caught on the sides of objects all the time instead of going around or parkouring through, it seems harder to get Eivor to go where you want her (or him), and just generally the game crashes more. Like a lot of crashing, often multiple times a session. There could be some issue with my computer but other games seem to operate fine?

Also the story just seems to fizzle out. It felt like the storyline with your brother Sigurd was going somewhere but when you go back to Norway it anticlimactically ends and your brother (who was angrily shouting about his destiny) just hands the reins over to Eivor and basically nopes-out for the rest of the story. It seems like they leave it open like this so you can do all the DLC without it having an impact but it just means the whole story doesn't have an impact.

The DLC is another thing. Have you ever played a game and thought "I'd play more of this forever, just keep making more levels"? That seems like the philosophy for AC games and I'm not sure whose demanding it.

Also with Origins it felt like they were rebooting the story but now they've started to incorporate elements from the first games talking about Desmond whose story wrapped up in a comic? IDFK anymore, I think it's gonna be a long time before I play another AC game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
.hack//GU Last Recode takes the title for one of the, visually, worst remasters I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure it would look much better just upscaled through an emulator than having all this awful extra nonsense piled on top.

There's too much bloom for starters. The game also looks like it's got a vaseline filter over the camera because there's so much blurring.

It's also too drat dark in places. It looks okay in motion, but it looks like poo poo in screenshots.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I got a PS5 today and the first thing I did was grab Helldivers so I could play with all my buddies before the popularity drops off.

It's a fun game but it kind of sucks seeing everyone else with these cool and better weapons while I'm stuck with the starting stuff. After every mission I'm begging the game to finally give me a way to upgrade my weapons or get new ones or whatever.

I get it game, I know how to play and what I'm doing, you can trust me with your better weapons now. What's the point of gatekeeping me from better poo poo for so long? :argh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DoubleNegative posted:

.hack//GU Last Recode takes the title for one of the, visually, worst remasters I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure it would look much better just upscaled through an emulator than having all this awful extra nonsense piled on top.

There's too much bloom for starters. The game also looks like it's got a vaseline filter over the camera because there's so much blurring.

It's also too drat dark in places. It looks okay in motion, but it looks like poo poo in screenshots.

The PS2 game looks like poo poo, too. That's not a defense of recode, either. The PS2 games just looked like poo poo and still look like poo poo when you play them upscaled on an emulator. Those scenes with the bloom were just as bad in the original.

The real problem with Recode, imo, is that it makes all three titles absolutely piss-easy. You level up way too fast so even if you're just doing the story you wind up at the level cap before you're even halfway through the story, and you do so much damage while taking almost none, that it's basically impossible for the game to pose any kind of threat to you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vandar posted:

I got a PS5 today and the first thing I did was grab Helldivers so I could play with all my buddies before the popularity drops off.

It's a fun game but it kind of sucks seeing everyone else with these cool and better weapons while I'm stuck with the starting stuff. After every mission I'm begging the game to finally give me a way to upgrade my weapons or get new ones or whatever.

I get it game, I know how to play and what I'm doing, you can trust me with your better weapons now. What's the point of gatekeeping me from better poo poo for so long? :argh:

Apparently the weapon unlocks are in the same interface as the in game cosmetic micro transactions. I don’t know if you knew that but I’ve heard it causes some people to miss new game abilities since they’re so used to tuning out “store” tabs or whatever.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Nuebot posted:

The real problem with Recode, imo, is that it makes all three titles absolutely piss-easy. You level up way too fast so even if you're just doing the story you wind up at the level cap before you're even halfway through the story, and you do so much damage while taking almost none, that it's basically impossible for the game to pose any kind of threat to you.

I remember that there's a balls hard chamionship match in the arena tournament you have to enter. On the PS2, the match was actually legitimately hard and made you pull out all the stops for the victory, which was only getting the leader of the enemy team to half health. However, like you said, the remaster is so hilariously easy that these enemies, who are supposed to be close to 10 levels above you, are now very likely at or even under your level. So what's supposed to be a tense moment of both the gameplay and story working together to show Haseo has his back up against the wall, just turns out to be a really, really easy match that ends less than a minute in.

And what's baffling is there's a Cheat Mode that is even easier because it just gives you maxed stats and max level. :psyduck:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DoubleNegative posted:

I remember that there's a balls hard chamionship match in the arena tournament you have to enter. On the PS2, the match was actually legitimately hard and made you pull out all the stops for the victory, which was only getting the leader of the enemy team to half health. However, like you said, the remaster is so hilariously easy that these enemies, who are supposed to be close to 10 levels above you, are now very likely at or even under your level. So what's supposed to be a tense moment of both the gameplay and story working together to show Haseo has his back up against the wall, just turns out to be a really, really easy match that ends less than a minute in.

And what's baffling is there's a Cheat Mode that is even easier because it just gives you maxed stats and max level. :psyduck:

Yeah, it's kind of a shame because the added content and gameplay improvements are legit cool! And they made the avatar battles a lot less of a slog - all of which are mostly done by porting the mechanics from the final game backwards. The difficulty tweaks just full on feel unnecessary, even the super post-game optional bosses are insanely easy now and it's kind of sad. Not that the games were the most tactical things in the world or whatever, but it's way overkill.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

necromunda Underhive wars is kind of cool because necromunda is kind of cool but my local game shop closed during the pandemic so I wish it was closer to the tabletop rules I’ll likely never get to play again

and it seems kind of overtuned. the second mission is the first non-tutorial mission and takes place on this seven- or eight- story complex of bridges over a chasm of toxic sludge. as far as I can tell the game doesn’t explain overwatch to you (although it’s more than possible the tutorial glitched out, it seemed pretty janky) so chances are good you’ll lose a fighter or two getting perforated from every angle and catwalk any time you take a move action. there’s about a dozen elevators and zip lines on the level but they go to completely fuckin’ random spots, which makes navigation rough even before getting to the fact that your teammates’ chatter in the level will tell you to sabotage some of them (which will not really affect your attackers but will absolutely gently caress over your team.) when you finally complete the main objective you get a new objective to escape with a certain character - as soon as I unlocked that objective, I selected that character, who immediately died of poison damage.

I ended up having to drag another character from the second floor to the seventh floor to get a revival item off of another downed fighter, back to the fifth floor to revive the teammate I needed to extract, back down to the second floor to finally gtfo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Back in the first Bioshock, what idiot put jump on the top controller face button? That's almost the worst button it could be! I've already healed multiple times by accident because that's where jump should normally be, and it's doubly bad because it's even more awkward to use with the stupid Switch joycon layout. :arghfist::saddumb:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Back in the first Bioshock, what idiot put jump on the top controller face button? That's almost the worst button it could be! I've already healed multiple times by accident because that's where jump should normally be, and it's doubly bad because it's even more awkward to use with the stupid Switch joycon layout. :arghfist::saddumb:

A MAN adapts, a SLAVE presses A!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's the same in console Skyrim. It's doubly annoying because it seems to be almost impossible to jump while sprinting, like the two button presses can't be processed at the same time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Jump should be up because it makes u go up :dumb:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the logic in Assassins Creed - you have a head button, a feet button a left hand and a right hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tunicate posted:

Jump should be up because it makes u go up :dumb:

New standard face button layout:
pre:
     Jump
Lean      Lean
left      right