Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

My problem with Bethesda is how half-hearted they are with their own ideas. The Institute is like the Underpant Gnomes. We never learn their goal or anything.

Yeah, not being lore purists is absolutely the last thing I'd complain about in a Bethesda game. It's less that they did things differently in F3, more that they did them very badly. I enjoyed F4 quite a bit but I also relied heavily on console commands to make my own fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Seems like the right time to bring this back up:

Muscle Tracer posted:

War of the Monsters, 2003

On the one hand, it's pretty progressive for a fighting game from 2003 to have attacks on the shoulder buttons. On the other, this control scheme doesn't use ANY of the face buttons, but it does map block and "action" (something you will be pressing CONSTANTLY to pick up debris and climb buildings) to L3 and R3, before those were even the accepted names of pressing in the sticks.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

An Actual Princess posted:

scarlet was the best pokemon since gold though :dafuq:

That's a weird way to spell "Legends: Arceus"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

CordlessPen posted:

Was it really? As a non-Pokemon-player all I heard at release was that it was uglier than Arceus while also running more poorly, super buggy and had fewer Pokemons than earlier titles. I know it sold well but I thought it was an AssCreed 3 situation.

Accurate

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

BotW's climbing is far more similar to Shadow of the Colossus than to Spider Man. It's limited by stamina, used heavily in exploration and slightly in combat, but always as a perilously limited resource.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Breetai posted:

Is there anything in this post that conveys any information whatsoever to somebody who hasn't just played through the entire game already? Like, what are you actually trying to say?

also not having played the game, I'm guessing there are many sexualized characters who are sexualized in the same very specific way.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

JackSplater posted:

Rimworld:

What the gently caress

:thatsprocgen:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Dark Souls II: Scholars of the First Sins is a Dark Souls game, so I am enjoying it. It's long, a lot of the bosses aren't memorable, honestly a lot of them are easier than any two other enemies. But the thing dragging this down, and SotFS specifically as I understand it, is the loving Fragrant Branch of Yore.

Imagine you are playing a Zelda game, and you have those "small keys" (Fragrant Branches) that every dungeon has a few of. But instead of being dungeon-specific, they are potentially usable anywhere in the world, and findable almost anywhere in the world. There are 15 doors that can be unlocked with these keys, and where the doors are has absolutely no relation to where the keys are. Sometimes, the door unlocks an entire new area of the game, sometimes with several sub-areas behind it. Other times, the door is just a thwomp who tries to attack you, and reveals nothing. But most often, the door just stays shut because you don't have one of the keys on you because you just unlocked a Thwomp, so you can't pass it, and you have absolutely no clue where to find another one of these loving keys. Progress denied!

Extra grating because these aren't "doors," they are people who have been turned to stone. It is well-established that your character is capable of chopping stone statues in half, and often there is clearly enough space around them to just walk by, but nope: "a statue blocks your path." There's not a good lore reason why they're there, there's not any even remotely engaging gameplay to opening the passage, it's just, "Well, I guess I'll backtrack, and hope to gently caress I can remember where this is next time I find a Fragrant Branch, and hope doubly that it's not just another loving trash enemy waste of time."

But worst of all, my understanding from the wiki page on these is that in the original game there were like 4 of these statues, and in SotFS they decided to add a shitload more, blocking you off from making progress. This feels like the kind of mechanic that would be REMOVED in a director's cut as an obviously bad, half-thought-out, unengaging waste of time, not ADDED IN as a missing feature.

Big yikes.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The thing to keep in mind about the narrative and worldbuilding of DS2, is that you very much seem to be in a sort of interdimensional collapse, traveling through space and time or little pocket dimensions. Like, the area you're talking about around Shrine of Winter is like cloudy midday; the next area, through a tunnel, is a path at midnight in pouring rain; and by the time you get to Castle Drangleic it's a clear night. When you first get to Heide, you seem to be sort of in the middle of the ocean, with Majula nowhere to be seen even though it's like a 40 second walk away. Iron Keep is in a world apparently on top of Earthen Peak, which you can clearly see the top of anyway? Similar poo poo with the transition from Aldia's Keep to the boss area (which looks like it's deep underground in Ash Lake) to the Dragon Aerie.

My point being, whatever the Dark Souls Contractor built has been warped and twisted by all these times and places getting smashed together, and the pathing not making a lot of rational sense is part of the narrative and aesthetic.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

System Shock 2023: The game is a beat for beat remake of the original, which sadly means the bad ideas of yesteryear are retained. There are ten or so "cyberspace" levels. These are six-axis shooter stages where you have to destroy things in the matrix. It's completely divorced from the 95% of the game that birthed the immersive sim genre. There are no checkpoints, there is no damage feedback. You die quickly on Normal and I had to restart just to turn down the difficulty of cyberspace (You can adjust the difficulty of combat, exploration, and puzzles separately on a new game). Right now I'm stuck on one that takes ten minutes before youre forced to navigate a tunnel of mines at high speed.

The game already has hacking puzzles that arent obnoxious. It would be easy to patch in an option that removes them entirely, since they are just as frivilous now as they were in 1994.

I'm very curious how adjusting puzzle difficulty works, do they just swap them out entirely?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Is there a game with a GOOD version of cyberspace? Something that's not just normal gameplay with a different skin on it, or a horribly underbaked minigame? The only example springing to mind for me is Shadowrun, which was a pretty meh interpretation for me.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Why give someone a descriptive nickname when their utterly forgettable actual name is much shorter to type??

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Elden Ring carries on the proud Dark Souls tradition of bonking you hard if you go somewhere too early (DS1 catacombs, Caelid in ER), but I definitely felt that if I explored as I went I became overleveled. Which I still did, because big numbers are fun and that world is very fun to explore!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

Superhot is fun but the whole "you are in a game. We control you because you are playing this game" narrative is the worst poo poo I've ever seen

IDK what you're talking about, it's the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

It didn't have a setting, plot, or even characters.

It did have all three of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Such as?

"Subversion" only works when you something to subvert. Metal Gear Solid 2 starts as a straightforward thriller before getting weird sometime after the leading man gets his crotch grabbed by the president. But the weirdness only took effect because the game laid the groundwork first. Superhot starts with nothing and expects the twists that follow to have weight.

Sorry, does it have twists, or literally no plot or characters? Those sound mutually exclusive.