Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
No FarCry 3, I really don't need you to re-play the long rear end conversation I just had every time I either re-load the game or complete an optional side mission. Also, why did you wait until the end-game to give us the wing suit? That thing is sweet as hell and I would have loved to play with it for longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think the worst part of GTAV for me was the fact that some missions were so loving boring and pointless and the only reward for doing them was to progress the story.

The mission where you have to do dock work as Trevor is the one that I remember the most. That missions is so slow, and so boring I kept trying to spice it up by doing things slightly different than the game wanted me to. Every time I tried something different I would instantly fail and have to do it over again. I get that if I simply followed the games instructions to a letter I would be done in 10 minutes instead of 20, but why the hell am I forced to do actual dock work in my game about shooting dudes?

The tow-truck missions were also miserable. Yeah, I get it, you want to inject some back story to this character, but for fucks sake don't have my character constantly bitch about not getting paid, and then have him turn around and do the same thing multiple times before I ever see any money. It doesn't make him an interesting character, it makes him a dumb one.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
All this talk about stories and characters reminds me of a number of gripes I have with basically everything revolving around the story in Titan Fall.

The first is the fact that the story for the game takes place through a series of multiplayer matches. This means that if you want to continue the story for your current faction, but there are not enough players to fill up the next map, then the game (in my experience at least) throws you back to the very first mission over and over until you get lucky. This wouldn't be so bad, but the only way to unlock the titans the game is named after is by completing these campaigns.

The second is the fact that no matter who wins or loses, the story plays out the exact same way. Yeah, it would be incredibly complex for the game to have a branching multiplayer campaign, but it is really annoying to absolutely destroy the enemy team (Sometimes ending the game with over twice their score) just for the story to say "Welp, even though you absolutely destroyed their entire force and stopped them from completing any of their objectives you still lost because of reasons :downs:"

And finally, the story might be the best written thing that has come out since the dawn of man, but I actually cannot pay attention to it as I am a competitive player by nature. In a single player game I can slow down, listen to the in game dialogue at my pleasure, and actually figure out who is who. In this game I'm too busy shooting mans and getting punched by giant robots to pay attention to the multitude of screaming heads in the corner of my screen. I played the game a lot during the 48 hour free trial thing, and the only characters I can recall is a black robot, and some Scottish(?) guy with a knife, and some chick who yells at you sometimes.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Alteisen posted:

The way the anti grind mechanic works is that the more you play the same heist, the less exp you get, its entirely possible to reach a point where you get 0 exp from a heist through repeated playthroughs, the game also removes exp based off your level, so say you're a level 5 guy with a level 80 buddy, level 80 buddy takes you through a high level heist, you get 40,000exp from the entire thing, well you're supposed, the game will remove 32k of that because you're not supposed to be there.

Is there a refresh period to this, or are you basically hosed out of XP after enough time? From the other design decisions you've mentioned I'm going to guess there isn't.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think it boils down to what you're more comfortable with. I grew up playing fps games on consoles, and as a result I'm a nervous wreck with a mouse.

It may be a gratuitous amount of aim assist talking, but when I use my game pad in multiplayer shooter games on the pc I'm still in the top three most of the time.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I have played a lot of video games based in World War II, and one of the most recurring elements I've seen in them is the inability to reload an M-1 Garand mid clip.

I have no idea why this concept had caught on (guess I should blame the original Call of Duty) as ejecting a half shot clip from an M-1 is incredibly easy.

It's also annoying in a game play sense too, because I have to take the time to empty the last three bullets from my clip into the wall/my allies/a tank before I can go into another fight.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I play a lot of it and undoubtedly love it, but it always bothers me how unfair the diplomatic choices in Civilization V are in some ways.
Basically, the AI get their own unique warning messages they can send people warning them to not build too close to them or spread religions to them, yet for some reason players don't get those diplomatic options at all. It's a big diplomatic no-no when I get caught doing it or breaking a promise about it, but I can't hold AI Civs to the same standard, either I have to go to war with them (without any in-game ability to establish casus belli, making me a warmongerer because there's no way for me to set diplomatic boundaries that the AI can set) or waste faith on Inquisitors. :argh: No dude, I'm maybe NOT okay with you building a city two inches away from me when there's a billion miles between us and your other cities. Personal space!
Bastards are already duplicitous enough, at least let me be able to take the same diplomatic actions they can. :colbert:

Also, I wish civs didn't spawn so close to each other. It's not that I shrink from the challenge, but it's just kind of anti-climactic, especially with gigantic maps. I like exploration and cold wars and poo poo.

I think there is a way you can tell the AI to not do this. I believe it's under the discuss button on the diplo screen. Of course, most of the time they either tell you to go gently caress yourself, or say they won't and then do it anyway.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Another thing AssCreed III messed up on was the depiction and handling of important historical events. I've done a bit of studying of the American Revolution, and I was looking forwards to taking part in some very famous events such as the ride of Paul Revere, and the Boston Tea Party.

Instead I got to punch a lot of guys on a boat and ride a horse around as some chuckle-gently caress yelled at me to go left.

To say I was disappointed was an understatement.

Oh yeah, and they totally dropped the ball with what could have been the most imaginative DLC possible. A power crazy George Washington? I was super excited to see how it would play out. Then it was more of the bland content, and more let-downs.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Oct 15, 2014

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've been playing Endless Legends lately as a break from Civ V, and while it does a lot of things right, it also has some really annoying things about it. I'm also really new to the game, so many of these things could easily be circumvented through strategy or design that I simply don't know about.

1. The computer flat out cheats. I know this is a 4X game, and that the computer needs to cheat to even stand a chance against a human player, but there's a line for everything. I was playing a game last night where I started right next to an enemies starting town, so I decided to rush them. When I got there with my army they only had two militia units in their town. I wipe the first unit out in the first attack, and lo and behold, when I attacked them again next turn they had instantly regenerated the first unit. That's rear end and I know for a fact that you can't do that.

So I decided to simply sit outside their capital and kill any settler unit that they produce. This this game, unlike Civ, you have to sacrifice a population unit to make a settler. Well, three killed settlers later, their city still hasn't dropped a population point.

2. The AI is aggressive as gently caress. In this game the default diplomatic relation isn't peace, it's Cold War. In this mode you can freely attack other players in neutral territory without declaring war. In practice this is a cool idea, but if you run into a computer player in these neutral territories then you can bet your rear end that they're going to attack you.

3. The final gripe I have with this game is that you can only have one city per territory. The map is sectioned off into different territories which you can settle and you can only have one city per territory. The problem is that your cities only work the hexes that immediately surround them. Which means that if you put your city down in a spot that you think is good, and then you find an even better spot later you're poo poo out of luck.

It's still a great game, and I really like it, I just want my game to be perfect!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Alteisen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOYJVmFUFg4#t=142

That is some quality poo poo right there.

:nws:For elf titties.

That's a character that you can kill, or otherwise shuffle out of the game somehow... Right?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Since we're on the RE4 track right now, it kind of annoys me that you can't aim and move at the same time. I'm not sure if it's a conscious design decision, or a hold over from older games, but all the same it's annoying.

To be fair to it though, it does make the game intense as hell.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

DStecks posted:

Psychonauts is an amazing game, one of the all-time greats, but the gameplay parts of it could really have used some more polish. The platforming is kinda floaty and hard to control at times, and the combat is a little clunky with a huge-rear end pause after the standard three-hit combo. Also, loving seriously, a lives system in 2005? I get it, DoubleFine, it's an homage to N64 platformers, but really?

It's not all bad... right up until you hit the meat circus. That level was some bullshit.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

2house2fly posted:

A thing that drags games down for me is when they do that self-aware thing that nobody likes having to jump through all these hoops and then make you jump through the hoops anyway. "haha you want me to kill rats in a basement, quest giver? What a cliche haha" *heads off to basement to kill the rats*

GTA V did the exact same thing. The characters would constantly bitch about not getting paid, but they would then continue to do constant bitch work for the exact same people, and then complain again when they continued to not get paid. To my knowledge there was never really any pressing reason for them to be putting up with these people, other than some vague threats from the police or something.

I think the most egregious example of this were the tow-truck missions as Franklin. You drive around, bitching the entire time about how you shouldn't be doing this work and how you won't do it again, but 20 minutes later your rear end is in the seat again. I don't even think you get paid for doing that mission string, your only reward is the option to buy the company so you can play that lovely mission again.

GTA V is just a giant list of super dumb decisions wrapped up with some really good ones.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Can we add Rhythm mini-games to the bad list? I'm not bad at them, but every single time I've seen one pop up in a game its either incredibly jarring, or kills the flow of the game completely. I'm looking at you Sly Cooper!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Who What Now posted:

If you cant make ludicrous amounts of money in GTA you're probably either someone who's just woken up from a coma who has literally never seen a game before or you're mentally retarded.

Or you're playing GTA V. They made it really difficult to make money in that game unless you spend way too much time in the stock market.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

StandardVC10 posted:

Europa Universalis 4: When you build enough colonies in a region, it becomes a separate colonial nation. So far this has proven to be tremendously annoying, as it can wage wars independent of the overlord nation, and in my case, do nothing but lose them, and there aren't many things I can do to influence it (most diplomatic options are unavailable for your own vassals, which colonies count as.) It turns out that the viceroy had a "militaristic" personality, and for some reason I can't just say, "alright, you suck, I'm getting a new viceroy." Even though it's nominally my colony.

Can't you assassinate your Viceroy or something? Seems like most problems in that game can be solved with a good old dagger to the back.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Elysiume posted:

Non-instanced loot is a mindbogglingly bad mechanic and I have no idea how it still exists in anything other than local multiplayer games. Even in local multiplayer it sucks.

I agree, it totally sucks, but I think the logic behind it is that it's supposed to suck. If you have to run the same raid 12 times before you can get your piece of loot, that's that much more time you're playing (and spending money on) their game. Otherwise you run through the raid once, get your gear, and move on, which means developers need to create that much more end game content when they would rather you run each dungeon multiple times.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Shadow of Mordor is a really great game, but the fact that you can't skip the company logos at the beginning of the game is really annoying. Sure, it's only a couple extra seconds of my time, but after seeing them for the 40th time they get really old.

It also defaults as Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor on my steam library, and the lower case e at the beginning of Earth really bugs me.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Oh, is that how that scene is supposed to go? I apparently hit a bug and no one stopped shooting at me. I was basically smashing the heal button as I furiously dodged and weaved

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

DStecks posted:

Doom
Half-Life (ignoring the HL2 retcon)
Bioshock
Any given video game based on Jurassic Park
Arguably the Covenant in Halo 1, since the unleashing of the Flood was a genuine mistake, instead of a non-example like the Umbrella corporation where they did it fully intentionally but underestimated the impact.
Dead Space
I'm pretty sure a couple of Final Fantasy games

And it's a pretty stock plot in fiction in general.

Don't forget Tales of Vesperia! :downsgun:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Just be glad you don't have to deal with any tormented or demented versions of Arnold Schwarzenegger...

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

EmmyOk posted:

Act III of MGS4 is atrocious

It's really a shame, cause I absolutely loved the first two acts. I felt as though I could play them like an actual stealth game instead of me being lead around on a rope for 45 minutes.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
If we want to talk about bad translations/voice acting you're going to have to work really hard to be worse then Men of War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3VoHE3nP8E

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I actually thought the stealth for Human Revolution worked pretty well. Sure there were some rough patches, but I really enjoyed using small bursts of invisibility to jump between cover or when poo poo really hits the fan.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Tiggum posted:

With the heavy rifle, you missed the part where its ammunition takes up half your inventory and runs out in about four seconds.

And you can't forget the fact that, even when barely upgraded, the most basic pistol easily 1-shots all basic mooks. With the Anti-Armor upgrade is completely unstoppable.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Len posted:

I ran into a dark Yojimbo. He wasn't as poo poo as the Magus Sisters. First killed Lulu, second Auron, and then the third did their overdrive on Wakka who was the only person standing. He ate 7 hits at 99,999 each. Wasted a shitload of my time too because I only needed one hit to game over me but I had to watch the whole thing.

Don't forget that the animation for the overdrive is so overdrawn and flashy, you can't even skip it to get to your game over faster.

Seriously, the thing is like a minute long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PWhtXfTRYM

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Away all Goats posted:

For what it's worth I really liked how in Far Cry 2 the 'map' was an actual map you laid out on your lap/over the steering wheel and you actually had to aim down to look at it. Not everyone's ideal but it made the game very immersive for me.

It was also great because if you were reading the map you could barely see the road. The number of times I ran off the road, or ran over something because I wasn't paying attention is too high to count :allears:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Gitro posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor is pretty fun, but a fair few of the skills, particularly the pre-expansion ones, favour trying to be funny over actually telling you what the skill does. Particularly the Vampirism line, which as far as I can tell never tells you your ability to steal health is based off your health regen stat. My first try with it was a slow loss to attrition because I didn't realise the stat that raises an attribute you can't actually use any more is critically important.

The last boss is also a poo poo wall of health and obscenely high resistances that can zap a quarter of your health off if he feels like it. I don't know if he's possible to melee, and the only winning strategy I've seen for a melee character is to peg a bunch of poo poo at him while playing keepaway.

Ugh, there was also a bug in the Mac version where you would lose stats every time you loaded your save. I lost a really good run because enemies that should have been pushovers were almost 1-shotting me.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I was hyped for GTA5 to the point of considering buying a console for the first time in like 5 years. Then I was hanging with a friend and watched him play some mission that involved moving shipping containers, and it looked like the most tedious, unfun bullshit and to this day I've never played it. It was probably only like 5-10 minutes but I felt like it was going on for like an hour. He let me try and I got like one container up and then just started ramming things because why the gently caress would I want to play some kind of shipping container mini game in a GTA game.

This was the mission that really stuck with me when I played the game. I got so bored of having to do the stupid poo poo they kept asking me to do that I started loving around and trying to complete the objectives in a more interesting way. Of course, every time I tried to do something even slightly outside of how the mission wanted me to do it I failed instantly and had to do the mission over again. It really soured me on the whole idea that I had any say or input on how a mission plays out.

And when the end game choice came along you bet my rear end I killed Trevor. Too bad that mission was absolute poo poo.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah I don't think you're at the part I'm referring to yet. I'm being vague for spoilers but it's the Giga Bowser fight against the train. The 3DS mic is the same hardware, I think, because I've played the game on DS and 3DS and it's just hellish either way.

For me having to use the microphone at all is a big thing that drags games down for me. I only play on my handheld if I'm traveling, or otherwise in public, and there's nothing more frustrating than being stonewalled in a game because I don't want to have to blow into/shout at my DS on a crowded bus.

I've never found a game that gives you an alternative either, you either look like a drat fool or you don't get to progress.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

muscles like this? posted:

In Other M it was because her ex-commanding officer told her she couldn't use her equipment. Which lead to stuff like going into an extremely hot area of the ship and getting damage because he didn't say you could use the Varia upgrade yet.

God, how I wish you were joking about this. The 'best' part about it is that even though the guy has literally no actual authority over her but she still listens to him because of daddy issues or something.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I recently purchased Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and as far as I'm concerned the level design team should be tried as war criminals. Many of the solutions to progress make no sense, there's no indication on where you should head next most of the time, and many of the panels that unlock doors blend in perfectly.

Maybe I'm spoiled by modern gaming more or less holding your hand at all times, but this game was the first time in years I had to look up a guide online.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

BillmasterCozb posted:

the new-u station is non-canon

you know, literally the first thing you interract with at the beginning of the first loving game, is not canon to the story.

Haha, what? How is it not cannon? It's mentioned all the time.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've been playing a lot of Cities: Skylines lately and I really like the game. The only problem is that they make getting the mega buildings a huge chore and require you to run your city into the ground.

See, in order to unlock these mega buildings you have to build a number of 'landmarks' (I forgot what the actual names are) that, in turn, require you to reach certain goals in order to unlock them.

A few of the unlock conditions are as follows

- Average Citizen health under 20%
- Have over 50% Unemployment
- Go into debt
- Have a crime rate over like, 70%

I really can't understand the logic of locking away the end tier buildings behind items that require you to actively gently caress over your city in every way imaginable.

Not to mention that it's much easier to unlock all of this poo poo in the super early game as opposed to late game. I have over 13 million dollars, how am I supposed to go bankrupt?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

MGSV: Why do I only get the option to dress Quiet in a proper uniform 60 hours in, when there's only a handful of plot-missions left? D-Dog has more dignity than her.

The gender politics of the game would be a lot less iffy if it had more than three female characters, two of whom who are already dead to begin with.

Venom acts less like a reserved silent-type, more like a guy who forgets his lines half the time. For someone who's the main character he feels underused performance-wise.

The optional remix-missions should have been cut. They take the finely-tuned mission from the main campaign, slap on a random modifier, and crank up the bullshit.

Kaz Miller will survive for another two decades, which is surprising since it means no-one tired of his endless growlings on revenge. The game neglects to let you use CQC on a disabled man.

Still a 9/10.

Now I want a mod that's focused around using his crutch for CQC.

And also a button that's only function is growling about revenge.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I really liked Dungeon of Dredmore until a bug caused all of my stats to drop so much I was getting poo poo wrecked by a Diggle.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Don't forget that an adventurer would also only be able to complete one of the three darkest dungeons. After that they would refuse to run any of the final dungeons, so you had to grind up three different end tier teams, even if you never lose anyone.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Not to mention the fact that you had to sharpen your weapon even if you're a hammer user. The whole point of the weapon is that it isn't sharp!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Somfin posted:

Remember that the head writer declared the respawn stations (in the game that he wrote) to be non-canon.

What? How does this even work?

Do they just expect you to ignore the fact that you respawn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Guy Mann posted:

I don't think people would have cared if they didn't require you to beat the tacked-on campaign to unlock multiplayer content. Especially since you still had to play it online with other people and since the playerbase cratered so quickly it was practically impossible to actually get enough people to play through it after launch.

I also really didn't like how the story didn't change regardless of who won the round. Like, if the rebel faction gets the poo poo stomped out of it during the refueling mission it shouldn't just move on to the next mission like nothing ever happened.

Sure making that many branch points would be insane and pointless but it really killed any interest I had in the story.